• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinion, when would Smash be released? Would it be a Holiday release or would Nintendo hold it back to next year?
I would be shocked if Smash released this year unless it was an absurdly barebones port (something like only a few 3DS stages and songs and that is it). I think next year is going to be the earliest assuming we get any new characters added.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey, sorry late reply is late. NantenJex is staying at my apartment this week, so I've been pretty busy.

Top contenders? It really depends on a lot of factors.

The first, is Sakurai coming back?
This is something we discussed with NintenDaan awhile back.

Depending on that answer, it will influence what characters and how many we could get.

The second factor is if the rumor is actually valid (so far, it's not dead). The rumor states it'll be a director's cut, and featured limited new content (Ala Mario Kart 8 Deluxe).

Smash hasn't been shown off yet, but with the amiibo listings, and looking at the history of Smash announcements, it seems very likely it'll be announced at E3.

With that, I think Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inklings, King K. Rool, Dragon Quest character, Takamaru and a Rhythm Heaven character are all contenders. It depends on how many characters, and who is working on it. We discussed it here with Roger's Base.

Anyway, let me know if there's any particular questions you have!
Just curious. What are your thoughts on a Sun/Moon Pokémon (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, Incineroar, etc), particularly if the "Stars" rumor pans out?

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
PushDustIn PushDustIn Do you have the stats on how long complete development took for each entry to the series, and which of those had engines built from the ground up?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If I remember correctly, there was a job listing posted back in 2014 for a "Super Smash Bros. 6", which was soon afterwards removed. If they had been working on that since 2014, and it released in 2018, then it would probably have 4 years of development.

It seems that people are expecting a port because of rumours.
Oh yeah I remember that. At the time we thought it was an arcade game in the works because Arcades are still not dead in Japan. I guess the 6 is because the WiiU version is technically #5.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would be shocked if Smash released this year unless it was an absurdly barebones port (something like only a few 3DS stages and songs and that is it). I think next year is going to be the earliest assuming we get any new characters added.
Only a few 3DS stages? I want all of them. :cool:

3D Land
Arena Ferox
Balloon Fight
Dream Land (3DS)
Find Mii
Gerudo Valley
Golden Plains
Living Room
Magicant
Mute City (3DS)
Pac-Maze
Paper Mario
Pictochat 2
Prism Tower
Rainbow Road
Reset Bomb Forest
Spirit Train
Tomodachi Life
Tortimer Island
Unova Pokemon League

Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Mushroomy Kingdom
WarioWare, Inc.
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

And I want more characters even if they are cut veterans or semi clones.
:ivysaur::squirtle::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::wolf::popo::snake::4alph:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think I'm out of the loop a bit. Why is a Dragon Quest character being predicted so much lately?

D

Deleted member

I assume that it has something to do with the DQ ports 3DS has been getting, as well as Dragon Quest XI and Dragon Quest Heroes coming to switch
If that's the case, I don't think that should be enough to consider a DQ character likely, to be honest.

Unless a DQ character is a huge request or the creator has shown interest in the idea, it means as much as the multiple crossovers with Mario did for the base roster for Smash 4 and for DLC.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I'm hoping for a new entry myself and that development started as soon as they got the Switch dev kits years ago during the Smash 4 DLC time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A Dragon Quest character would be great. I'm rooting for DQ8 Hero. He could probably summon Slime since he can have a monster team.

I wonder how long until we start getting leaks abd rumors again. that was always fun and would really get speculation going.

perhaps near E3?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Leaks and rumors are fun but they really spoiled the surprises Sakurai had in store for us in SSB4.

I think the only real surprises we had in SSB4 were :4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::rosalina::4greninja::4lucina::4robinm::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
With that, I think Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inklings, King K. Rool, Dragon Quest character, Takamaru and a Rhythm Heaven character are all contenders. It depends on how many characters, and who is working on it. We discussed it here with Roger's Base.
I'm curius as to why you think Takamaru is such a contender. With all the other characters I can sorta see why they'd be pretty good contenders but I can't with Takamaru. Looking through the movesets on his thread still leads me to believe he'd fall short compared to so many other unique options for fighters.
Also, Shovel Knight over Shantae? I am OFFENDED.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Honestly, I want to hope that we at the very least get Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inklings, and King K Rool in the game; that would be a perfect selection of future characters in my opinion, with 2 veterans and 2 newcomers each.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm curius as to why you think Takamaru is such a contender. With all the other characters I can sorta see why they'd be pretty good contenders but I can't with Takamaru. Looking through the movesets on his thread still leads me to believe he'd fall short compared to so many other unique options for fighters.
To be fair, he's only got one game to draw from. At least it's compared to what other retros like Duck Hunt had to work with. Finding a new and unique playstyle is hardest part for moveset making. They are fairly old to be honest.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
May get stoned for this, but I always found the likes of Shovel Knight and Shantae overrated, though I understand the appeal in them to a point. Of course I've only wanted certain 3rd parties that have less chance like Simon Belmont, so... yeah.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We've came up with ideas from shogi piece shuffling to dictate the direction of projectiles (a unique mechanic from The Mysterious Murasame Castle that can work) to a straight forward swordsman with a focus on the element of surprise.

What can be done to possibly make Takamaru interesting to feel like something "unique Sakurai quality"? But like Aussie said, those were pretty old movesets to be honest.

Luminario

Smash Lord
We've came up with ideas from shogi piece shuffling to dictate the direction of projectiles (a unique mechanic from The Mysterious Murasame Castle that can work) to a straight forward swordsman with a focus on the element of surprise.

What can be done to possibly make Takamaru interesting to feel like something "unique Sakurai quality"? But like Aussie said, those were pretty old movesets to be honest.
Ah I missed that when i quickly brushed through the movesets. Okay I stand corrected he's got something to work with.

Shantae's still better than Shovel Knight. You can pry my love of Shantae from my cold dead hands.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
May get stoned for this, but I always found the likes of Shovel Knight and Shantae overrated, though I understand the appeal in them to a point. Of course I've only wanted certain 3rd parties that have less chance like Simon Belmont, so... yeah.
I want all three in Smash.

Shovel Knight for Smash.
Shantae for Smash.
Simon Belmont, especially Simon Belmont, for Smash.

D

Deleted member

I also want Simon Belmont, as well as Snake returning, but I'm not getting my hopes up for either.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As much as I want Banjo, I doubt he would ever seriously happen. Not even a Cloud Strife situation can save him now.

Same can be said for Crash when I just don't see Activision willing to make an offer when the N. Sane Trilogy won't be ported to the Switch yet.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The next extension of "Sakurai is a magician and can get any character he wants in Smash" would be Banjo and Sora. Given the companies that own those characters.

Which is why I'm not expecting either.

I wonder how long until we start getting leaks abd rumors again. that was always fun and would really get speculation going.

perhaps near E3?
They'll probably start mid-April when the other E3 "rumours" begin.

I want Shantae more as well, and I think given her history with Nintendo, which include more than a single game, she probably "deserves" inclusion more, but Shovel Knight would probably be the one to get in first. Given his higher popularity, greater impact as a character and game, and, I believe, larger Japanese presence.

Honestly, I want to hope that we at the very least get Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inklings, and King K Rool in the game; that would be a perfect selection of future characters in my opinion, with 2 veterans and 2 newcomers each.
Like, the four most demanded Nintendo characters? That's a lot for being at very least. :p

At the very least I just hope we get a character that wasn't in the previous versions of Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

At the very least I just hope we get a character that wasn't in the previous versions of Smash 4.
And then just for that, we get Mario.

Like literally a second Mario. Not like Dr. Mario or a different kind of Mario like Paper Mario, Metal Mario, Gold Mario, etc.
But a 2nd Mario on the CSS. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And then just for that, we get Mario.

Like literally a second Mario. Not like Dr. Mario or a different kind of Mario like Paper Mario, Metal Mario, Gold Mario, etc.
But a 2nd Mario on the CSS. :p
I kinda assumed that was already gonna happen, just with Marth. :p

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Adding a Dragon Quest character just because it's a really popular franchise that's still going isn't a good enough reason to add a character from it into Smash in my opinion. Mainly because there isn't really a super popular character they could add from Dragon Quest that would attract a large audience.

There's a new main character every game ,and they're kind of blank slates, and not all that popular or memorable. Final Fantasy also get's a new main protagonist every game, but they are their own established and unique characters that people love. Final Fantasy has main protagonists like Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Cecil, etc. Dragon Quest has main protagonists like Hero, Hero, Hero, Hero, etc.

The only character from DQ that I would say is really iconic is the Slime enemy, and I doubt they would add a character like Slime into Smash, because of his status as a generic enemy. There is a reason we got an established character like Cloud in Smash over a generic Chocobo or Moogle.

I think the character themselves are more important than the series they come from. Someone like Geno would probably garner more interest than any of the characters Dragon Quest has to offer. Outside of Japan anyway.

That's another thing; while Dragon Quest is absurdly popular in Japan it's reception in the west is nowhere close to matching it. All of the games have sold significantly more in Japan than the rest of the world combined, and when you consider just how small Japan is that's kind of sad.

Maybe the people in Japan would absolutely love generic Hero or generic Slime to be in Smash, but if they want the 3rd party characters to appeal to a worldwide audience I don't think it's a good idea.

Man this went on longer than I intended.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's a massive joke in the Smash community but if Smash Switch is a brand new game and is still in development, what are the odd sof them Roy-ing up the protagonist for Smash Switch?

Unless they go fro the protagonist of the mobile game and achieve maximum Fire Emblem saturation with his/her gun that shoots other Fire Emblem characters.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
PushDustIn PushDustIn Do you have the stats on how long complete development took for each entry to the series, and which of those had engines built from the ground up?
Yes!

The Case for Smash NX [Part One] has that information.

Just because Sakurai has a good relationship with Takamaru's VA in Japan (he did that interview with him), and because Takamaru has been considered multiple times for Smash. Sakurai's reasoning for not including Takamaru is because he is not well known in the West, but his role as an AT has publicized him a bit. Also, Sakurai usually tries to include some retro representation, and with the exception of King K. Rool (remember, Smash introduced the K. Rool costume as a 'Retro revival' in Japanese and English) , I felt my list was missing a retro rep, so I added Takamaru.

Just curious. What are your thoughts on a Sun/Moon Pokémon (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, Incineroar, etc), particularly if the "Stars" rumor pans out?
I forgot to add Decidueye to that list. I think Decidueye is a strong contender for Smash, especially with the Stars rumor.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
Umm. So Bandana Dee?
Since it's Kirby's 25th anniversary it would be a good idea to add a new Kirby character if there is a new Kirby game plus BD has moveset potential.
Plus Corrin has "lance-like"move as well
So thoughts?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Unless they go fro the protagonist of the mobile game and achieve maximum Fire Emblem saturation with his/her gun that shoots other Fire Emblem characters.
We might as well then call the franchise Super Fire Emblem Bros:troll:

Speaking of FE characters, here is an interesting what-if scenario - How different would things have been in an alternate scenario where, instead of the final two characters being Bayonetta and Corrin, we got Bayonetta and Dixie (with of course the assumption in this scenario that Sakurai wasn't looking for an advertisement character and instead selected Dixie based off different reasoning)? I'll explain my theory below

The one thing that would most obviously stay the same is that the hype backlash following the Final Presentation in December 2015 would be high no matter what, naturally. However, I fully believe the extend of the hate Dixie would have gotten would have been significantly less than Corrin.

For one, Corrin was the 6th FE character and people back then already thought 5 was way too much (not to mention he the second FE character added as DLC). A pretty common sentiment among the fanbase was that the Donkey Kong franchise was underrepresented with two characters in Smash 4 (with Dixie and K. Rool being the DK characters with the highest demand). So overrepresentation would obviously not be a major complain with Dixie.

Another more important factor is that Dixie had more established history, familiarity within the Smash Bros. fanbase and fan demand than Corrin had. Given that one character was a major breakout character who made several appearances in her own home franchise (and a character people in the speculative community agreed made sense as a Smash Bros character) and another was a character whose game wasn't even released in the west yet, I'm sure the former would have been more accepted than the latter.

Another aspect to consider is how the K. Rool fanbase would have reacted. I believe the reaction would have been somewhat mixed. I don't think that many K. Rool supporters would have hated Dixie Kong's inclusion, but I definitely see many K. Rool supporters being disappointed that it wasn't K. Rool (but still happy for Dixie supporters) or happy that Dixie made it in (it is important to note that there is a lot more overlap between the K. Rool and Dixie fanbase than some people think). Either way, the large K. Rool support would still continue.

A final aspect to consider is what effect it would have on FE, especially in the speculative community. Whilst Fates would still sell impressively well in this scenario no matter what, would that have translated to Corrin, or even another FE character, getting massive support? Definitely not. Whilst there would be some people thinking that a 6th FE character would be appropriate, most people in the community would be all like "No! No More FE characters! Give other franchises a chance to shine!"(Also, based off what I know, Corrin isn't all that well-received among fans who played Fates so that should also be considered)

Why bother writing all this down? because I believed discussing this what-if scenario was interesting.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Umm. So Bandana Dee?
Since it's Kirby's 25th anniversary it would be a good idea to add a new Kirby character if there is a new Kirby game plus BD has moveset potential.
So thoughts?
I'm not sure what to think of Bandana Dee's chances, the metaphorical stars seem to be aligning for him and he's certainly important enough to be qualified for inclusion but at the same time I feel like there's also the possibility that he might have literally no chance at all due to Mr. Sakurai's personal biases (if he's still directing and/or otherwise heavily involved).
Some idiot said:
Chances: 20%
Yeah, I know, kind of low for a 4th main character in a series that's huge in Japan, but I'm convinced that bias is his true weakness. He doesn't have a trophy this game, that's ridiculous, the only reason I can think of for the 4th main Kirby character to not have a trophy is that, maybe, Mr. Sakurai doesn't like him? Seriously though, don't underestimate how powerful bias can be, how many of you would have guessed we'd get 4 new(ish) Fire Emblem characters? I imagine none of you did, because the numbers just don't add up but, lo and behold, that's what we got. Mr. Sakurai's a Fire Emblem fan, and directed Kid Icarus Uprising, and which two franchises get the most love for their own size? Those two did, look, it's obvious, while I respect him deeply, Mr. Sakurai definitely acts on his own wants, and from what I've seen, it doesn't look like he likes modern Kirby, not one bit, it gets next to no content. In fact it's the only Major Nintendo series to not have a stage from a recent game*. So, despite the immense popularity the character has in Japan, the immense popularity Kirby has over there, and what would appear to be a rational roster choice, I feel like bias really hurts his chances.

If Mr. Sakurai, for some insane reason, isn't director though, I'd say his chances become a lot higher.

TLDR: Mr. Sakurai is probably biased against modern Kirby, which kind of wrecks Bandana Dee's chances.

Edit: *An Epic Yarn Stage was planned but ultimately scrapped for Wooly World, so that segment about Kirby not having a modern stage might be a tad obsolete. It still bugs me though, they could have just scrapped Great Cave Offensive or that 3DS stage in favor of one.

Last edited:
Umm. So Bandana Dee?
So thoughts?
Well, he has recency, importance and moveset potential, and is quite popular, so I think he has a deecent shot.

However, as Zerp Zerp said, Sakurai favors content from older games, which could be a problem for him (assuming Sakurai continues as the director).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Didn't Sakurai plan to include a stage from Kirby's Epic Yarn until he decided to include a stage from the more recent Yoshi's Woolly World instead? Not to mention Kirby's new final Smash that was included in Smash 4 that I believe first appeared in Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Didn't Sakurai plan to include a stage from Kirby's Epic Yarn until he decided to include a stage from the more recent Yoshi's Woolly World instead? Not to mention Kirby's new final Smash that was included in Smash 4 that I believe first appeared in Kirby's Return to Dreamland.
That's true, my post is outdated, I said that before we knew about the whole Epic Yarn to Wooly World thing. Although, it doesn't change the fact that Kirby's still the only major Ninty franchise without a modern stage, it's not as bad now that we know one was planned, but, they could've just shafted Great Cave Offensive for insert modern stage here like they did here with Epic Yarn for Wooly World. Also, yeah, Kirby's Final Smash is from Return to Dreamland.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have this dream that there would be a trailer that makes people think we are getting a new DreamMix TV World Fighters game for Switch when it shows Snake, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont battling each other and then suddenly Mario, Link, and Pikachu show up and it turns out to be a Smash trailer after all, confirming Snake, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont for Smash... kinda like how people thought we were getting a new Kirby Air Ride game, then we thought it was a Kirby Air Ride x Mario Kart crossover game, then it turned out to be a Smash trailer confirming Rosalina for Smash.

That is true. Still, if I remember correctly, every other franchise's (excluding retros and dormant series like Earthbound and F-Zero) new stages were from post-Brawl games.

D

Deleted member

We might as well then call the franchise Super Fire Emblem Bros:troll:

Speaking of FE characters, here is an interesting what-if scenario - How different would things have been in an alternate scenario where, instead of the final two characters being Bayonetta and Corrin, we got Bayonetta and Dixie (with of course the assumption in this scenario that Sakurai wasn't looking for an advertisement character and instead selected Dixie based off different reasoning)? I'll explain my theory below

The one thing that would most obviously stay the same is that the hype backlash following the Final Presentation in December 2015 would be high no matter what, naturally. However, I fully believe the extend of the hate Dixie would have gotten would have been significantly less than Corrin.

For one, Corrin was the 6th FE character and people back then already thought 5 was way too much (not to mention he the second FE character added as DLC). A pretty common sentiment among the fanbase was that the Donkey Kong franchise was underrepresented with two characters in Smash 4 (with Dixie and K. Rool being the DK characters with the highest demand). So overrepresentation would obviously not be a major complain with Dixie.

Another more important factor is that Dixie had more established history, familiarity within the Smash Bros. fanbase and fan demand than Corrin had. Given that one character was a major breakout character who made several appearances in her own home franchise (and a character people in the speculative community agreed made sense as a Smash Bros character) and another was a character whose game wasn't even released in the west yet, I'm sure the former would have been more accepted than the latter.

Another aspect to consider is how the K. Rool fanbase would have reacted. I believe the reaction would have been somewhat mixed. I don't think that many K. Rool supporters would have hated Dixie Kong's inclusion, but I definitely see many K. Rool supporters being disappointed that it wasn't K. Rool (but still happy for Dixie supporters) or happy that Dixie made it in (it is important to note that there is a lot more overlap between the K. Rool and Dixie fanbase than some people think). Either way, the large K. Rool support would still continue.

A final aspect to consider is what effect it would have on FE, especially in the speculative community. Whilst Fates would still sell impressively well in this scenario no matter what, would that have translated to Corrin, or even another FE character, getting massive support? Definitely not. Whilst there would be some people thinking that a 6th FE character would be appropriate, most people in the community would be all like "No! No More FE characters! Give other franchises a chance to shine!"(Also, based off what I know, Corrin isn't all that well-received among fans who played Fates so that should also be considered)

Why bother writing all this down? because I believed discussing this what-if scenario was interesting.
That's a good theory, but I think of 2 factors that might have prevented it to happen, besides the promotional stuff for FE Fates:

1 - Dixie might likely have been a semi-clone of :4diddy:, and given how Sakurai took priority for the creation of brand-new newcomers (barren :4lucina: and :4darkpit: which took a negligible amount of time to make) for this Smash iteration, Dixie could have not been in Sakurai's top of priority.

2 - Corrin also has the advantage to be both :4corrin: and :4corrinf:, which technically count like 2 characters in one, which is more attractive for the more casual audience.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Dixie being a semi-clone of Diddy would have gone really well among the disgruntled fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom