• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don't think Sonic deserves any sort of special treatment. If we get Coldsteel, the other 3rd parties should get Echoes too. However, the only one I can't come up with is one for Snake. Maybe MGS2 Raiden, but that seems like a stretch.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I could see him being the first character to heal
Okay, I'm going to stop you right there.
Speaking as someone who's watched years of SF4 tourneys, giving a character free healing on demand is not a very popular idea with the community cough Elena cough.
And I feel in a game with no meter or healthbar like Smash, that would be an even harder thing to balance.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Guys, Im just preparing you guys

I have finally figured it out. a Sonic Rep is so likely cause not only has it been so requested, but Sonic has been in 3 games

now people think he will only get an echo...however Sega won't allow that. they want their characters to be treated like guests. They got flimsy over Sonic's alts. that is why Sonic's alts aren't as colorful as people would want

Shadow is the 2nd most popular character, and while people say he would be an echo...They are wrong, i have seen the way, and while i make this bet, im so confident that

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think Sonic deserves any sort of special treatment. If we get Coldsteel, the other 3rd parties should get Echoes too. However, the only one I can't come up with is one for Snake. Maybe MGS2 Raiden, but that seems like a stretch.
Then we get into the same ****ing debates about Shadow but whether or not Raiden should just be a clone or the badass robotic ninja dude

StormC

Smash Hero
Wouldn't Big Boss, the guy Snake is literally a clone of, make the most sense?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
How about, instead of another Sonic character, we get Joker or a Persona character instead? A character from SMT would be cool as well.

That sounds good to me.
I still want Blaze, but getting a Person character would be cool, I wouldn't object to that especially if it's Yu Narukami. Johnny Yong Bosch better be the English voice for him.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Then we get into the same ****ing debates about Shadow but whether or not Raiden should just be a clone or the badass robotic ninja dude
If we're going MGS2 Raiden, then yeah for 99% of the game, he's literally just Snake with some different animations. Ninja sword mode notwithstanding.

Actually, the other big MGS protagonist might as well be alt costumes if you wanna play fast and loose with canon.
Big Boss/Naked Snake/Venom Snake is what Snake is cloned from and taught him everything he knows on top of being completely capable of doing all maneuvers that snake does in Smash

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Alright General thread, I've been playing SMRPG lately at nights. I recruited Geno yesterday and today I got through beating Yoshi in a race, so, we're gonna talk about it.

Geno: If Geno got into Smash Bros. the one thing I see as a (big) flaw/drawback of his toolkit is that he would be SUPER floaty and easy to kill - He doesn't have much defense, but he's super powerful, super agile, and very diversely skilled. I don't see him as some crazy complex character and I think that's why he could easily make a picture perfect fit - He's familiar enough to a lot of other Smash characters, but unique enough to where he could still easily stand out among the cast.

Mallow: I think he'd be a full mage like Robin, except no sword. In particular, I could see him being the first character to heal (HP Rain) without it needing to be a drain (Unless we've had someone else who can just heal on command?). I think he'd be a pretty heavy character but still able to move pretty well (like, hard to move, but easy to use) - There's a lot he could do and he'd probably be a bit more far-fetched (read: not copying stuff) than Geno. Seeing that he'll probably be an assist, I think him coming out and using a bunch of his attacks at once would be great - Maybe crying.

Boshi: I'll humor Zinith Zinith some - He's passionate about a pretty cool character imho and I like talking Echo Fighters.

First, let's talk his personality. He's to Yoshi as what Wario is to Mario, so he fits the Echo dynamic on that end well - He has a soft spot, though, more than Wario. So, he's like Yoshi with a bit of a spunk attitude. How do we implement that in his moveset without making any actual big changes?
-His Smash attacks and others would just have more attitude in animation. we don't know Yoshi's final smash in this game.
-For his specials, I could mainly see him being a faster, but weaker Yoshi. I also see him running out of stamina, so all his speed can't just be in one go
-Given that all final smashes are being streamlined, I could see Yoshi's being more different - For Boshi's, it'd probably have a horde of Yoshi's persuaded by cookies, similar to the opening of Melee. If Yoshi were to get this as a final smash, Boshi would have more Boshi's on the screen and possibly a Croco cameo

So... A bit more changes than the typical Echo, but if you were to trim it down some: He runs faster, is less strong (or some mechanic closer to Lucina's; can't quite think of what that'd be), animation quirks, and that's it.

Now, really, only Geno has any shot in hell, but it's a nice topic to discuss. If someone else has played a game recently and wants to talk about those characters in Smash, I'd LOVE to hear from them! (Even if I'm unfamiliar with the game - If it's a Nintendo game though, we can talk characters)
I actually finished a playthrough recently as well. Just because Smash Ultimate was announced and I wanted to see Geno in action again.

Not really gonna touch on Geno other than to put this idea of a moveset here. The person who created it did a fantastic job, in my opinion. Also, I agree, I think Geno should be a "Glass Cannon" type of character.

Great ideas with the characters. Especially Mallow, since he never seems to get as much love as Geno. Him appearing as an AT and crying would be pretty funny. Maybe that could be how the lightning comes down and hits players? I still like the idea of HP Rain being cast on the person who summons him.

Boshi would be a great Echo. Faster, weaker, and maybe have something to do with Cookies and Eggs? Not sure how you would handle that... Maybe a Final Smash? Eats a Cookie and allows him to use his Neutral B to place enemies in eggs until the FS ends? Easy to add up damage or catch an opponent on the edge of the stage? Not sure.

Really cool analysis, man.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Wouldn't Big Boss, the guy Snake is literally a clone of, make the most sense?
My reasoning for not bringing up Big Boss immediately was that Snake is simply called "Snake" in Smash, not Solid Snake. He's very obviously Solid Snake, but I think the lack of distinction was intentional so that you could interpret him as either the original or David.

EDIT: ****ing hell, quoted the wrong person

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
It was on their Rate The Character thing, though tbf they retracted that statement and even took the video down when realizing they ****ed up. Now when is "Puyo Puyo has a 70% chance to get a character" going to be retracted
Why retract when Arle is gonna be in smash

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My issue with Big Boss as an echo is that Snake is already a hybrid of multiple Snake incarnations, including Big Boss. So you've got 2 characters who when played in their games are called Snake on the roster as characters who are near identical. Whoop de ****ing doo. Might as well add a second Kirby who has different copy abilities because at least that'd be somewhat different

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I dont think Shadow will get in at all and I think the ONLY reason hes being looked at so much is that echo fighters are a thing. if they didnt "name" echo fighters and his assist trophy was just missing i doubt anyone would be guessing at him so heavily.

i made a whole video on my thoughts about people going too nuts over echo fighters but basically i doubt third party echos will happen as it diminishes the third party "guest" status and opens up a flood gate of possible echos (counter part characters are quite the gaming cliche). the other issue here is protoman was ADDED to megamans final smash and if you do shadow why not ken? why not ms pacman? etc... and to purposefully take protoman out of the running just seems to signify "no third party echos arent going to be a thing".

shadow CAN have a much more unique moveset and i think echo fighters will only be characters sakurai feels "fit" best as echo fighters and will never be "decloned" and i dont see shadow falling into that category as he has lots he could do as a semi clone (which i dont think sakurai would spend the time making him this game, again the only reason hes on everyones mind is "echos" became a thing).

if any third party series could get a 2nd rep it would be sonic but i feel tails or dr robotnic have earned that spot way more than shadow, but i really dont see third parties getting 2nd reps especially when we have "not too many more characters" this time. If sonic did get a 2nd rep it would be on their own merit not just cause they could make an easy echo fighter, again tails/eggman as they are iconic to the series. i think its far more likely the sonic series will get two assist trophies (knuckles/shadow) than it is likely they'd get two characters and thats probly all that is going on here.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My issue with Big Boss as an echo is that Snake is already a hybrid of multiple Snake incarnations, including Big Boss. So you've got 2 characters who when played in their games are called Snake on the roster as characters who are near identical. Whoop de ****ing doo. Might as well add a second Kirby who has different copy abilities because at least that'd be somewhat different
Is he a hybrid? It's pretty clear this is Solid Snake with all the weaponry he uses.
The only Naked Snake I see in Smash Snake is his beard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is he a hybrid? It's pretty clear this is Solid Snake with all the weaponry he uses.
The only Naked Snake I see in Smash Snake is his beard.
He also comments on food items, something only Naked Snake did
EDIT: They even make a joke about Snake wanting to eat Yoshi and it's handled similar to the jokes about how Naked Snake wants to eat pretty much everything in the game

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I dont think Shadow will get in at all and I think the ONLY reason hes being looked at so much is that echo fighters are a thing. if they didnt "name" echo fighters and his assist trophy was just missing i doubt anyone would be guessing at him so heavily.

i made a whole video on my thoughts about people going too nuts over echo fighters but basically i doubt third party echos will happen as it diminishes the third party "guest" status and opens up a flood gate of possible echos (counter part characters are quite the gaming cliche). the other issue here is protoman was ADDED to megamans final smash and if you do shadow why not ken? why not ms pacman? etc... and to purposefully take protoman out of the running just seems to signify "no third party echos arent going to be a thing".

shadow CAN have a much more unique moveset and i think echo fighters will only be characters sakurai feels "fit" best as echo fighters and will never be "decloned" and i dont see shadow falling into that category as he has lots he could do as a semi clone (which i dont think sakurai would spend the time making him this game, again the only reason hes on everyones mind is "echos" became a thing).

if any third party series could get a 2nd rep it would be sonic but i feel tails or dr robotnic have earned that spot way more than shadow, but i really dont see third parties getting 2nd reps especially when we have "not too many more characters" this time. If sonic did get a 2nd rep it would be on their own merit not just cause they could make an easy echo fighter, again tails/eggman as they are iconic to the series. i think its far more likely the sonic series will get two assist trophies (knuckles/shadow) than it is likely they'd get two characters and thats probly all that is going on here.
PapaGenos you're on here? you make some good videos

anyways im glad you have seen the light on 3rd party echoes being very unlikely. I do think Shadow is getting in as his own character (i was so confident i put a bet on myself, betting on my soul and drinking mustard water) and i could See Shadow getting in before Eggman and Tails cause Shadow is the 2nd most popular Sonic character, and He's honestly iconic himself (maybe not as much as Eggman and Tails, but they don't tower over him) however i do agree its more likely that Shadow is not in the game than him being an echo

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He also comments on food items, something only Naked Snake did
EDIT: They even make a joke about Snake wanting to eat Yoshi and it's handled similar to the jokes about how Naked Snake wants to eat pretty much everything in the game
I'd call that more a funny reference than a "hybrid."

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Okay, I'm going to stop you right there.
Speaking as someone who's watched years of SF4 tourneys, giving a character free healing on demand is not a very popular idea with the community cough Elena cough.
And I feel in a game with no meter or healthbar like Smash, that would be an even harder thing to balance.
...and?

I mean, we're discussing hypothetical's here, but I don't think it's impossible. Ivysaur has an attack like this in P:M. It'd just need to be balanced carefully and patched well. The problem with Smash, at it's core, is that the balancing team hasn't really been around tourney's enough and kinda ditched the game early. It felt like once they were done with Bayo and Corrin, they were done with patching - There's remedies.

Now let's get back to talking characters, (Though, if you want to harp on the healing idea more, let's talk about Ivysaur in P:M)

I actually finished a playthrough recently as well. Just because Smash Ultimate was announced and I wanted to see Geno in action again.

Not really gonna touch on Geno other than to put this idea of a moveset here. The person who created it did a fantastic job, in my opinion. Also, I agree, I think Geno should be a "Glass Cannon" type of character.

Great ideas with the characters. Especially Mallow, since he never seems to get as much love as Geno. Him appearing as an AT and crying would be pretty funny. Maybe that could be how the lightning comes down and hits players? I still like the idea of HP Rain being cast on the person who summons him.

Boshi would be a great Echo. Faster, weaker, and maybe have something to do with Cookies and Eggs? Not sure how you would handle that... Maybe a Final Smash? Eats a Cookie and allows him to use his Neutral B to place enemies in eggs until the FS ends? Easy to add up damage or catch an opponent on the edge of the stage? Not sure.

Really cool analysis, man.
Geno: Fantastic! Except Up B definitely should be Geno Cannon, but that's just me. Probably many others there too. I like the move set idea still for sure

Mallow: Ooh, I like these assist trophy concepts. I was thinking more in realms of playable, but seeing maybe a chance like either he cries and makes the weather worse for the players, or he does a lot of special moves.

Boshi: I don't expect too many changes for the echoes - I don't know if they have to be the same speed or not? If they do, I'd do even less, but I feel mostly with animations you could easily have a fun time w/ Boshi - I think the Yoshi series has been grossly undermined in the Smash games over the personality it has, so finally giving some bone to Yoshi fans would be neat.

SHADOW KIRBY TIME

DARK META KNIGHT TOO

AND 8 BIT D3

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I highly doubt we'll get a 3rd Party Echo Fighter, but if we do, I think Ken would be the best choice.

They could give Shoryuken a Fire Hitbox, maybe tweak a few of his moves to do different damage, and possibly change his Focus Attack animation.

We know that Echo Fighters can have a different move animation so long as the move's hitboxes and function stay pretty much the same (Lucina's Shield Breaker), so they could give Ken a different charge animation while keeping the hitbox and move functionality the same.

This all being said, I don't actually expect to get a 3rd Party Echo Fighter at all. And as far as Echo Fighters go, I doubt we'll see more than 0 to 2 more new ones aside from Daisy.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Alright General thread, I've been playing SMRPG lately at nights. I recruited Geno yesterday and today I got through beating Yoshi in a race, so, we're gonna talk about it.

Geno: If Geno got into Smash Bros. the one thing I see as a (big) flaw/drawback of his toolkit is that he would be SUPER floaty and easy to kill - He doesn't have much defense, but he's super powerful, super agile, and very diversely skilled. I don't see him as some crazy complex character and I think that's why he could easily make a picture perfect fit - He's familiar enough to a lot of other Smash characters, but unique enough to where he could still easily stand out among the cast.

Mallow: I think he'd be a full mage like Robin, except no sword. In particular, I could see him being the first character to heal (HP Rain) without it needing to be a drain (Unless we've had someone else who can just heal on command?). I think he'd be a pretty heavy character but still able to move pretty well (like, hard to move, but easy to use) - There's a lot he could do and he'd probably be a bit more far-fetched (read: not copying stuff) than Geno. Seeing that he'll probably be an assist, I think him coming out and using a bunch of his attacks at once would be great - Maybe crying.

Boshi: I'll humor Zinith Zinith some - He's passionate about a pretty cool character imho and I like talking Echo Fighters.

First, let's talk his personality. He's to Yoshi as what Wario is to Mario, so he fits the Echo dynamic on that end well - He has a soft spot, though, more than Wario. So, he's like Yoshi with a bit of a spunk attitude. How do we implement that in his moveset without making any actual big changes?
-His Smash attacks and others would just have more attitude in animation. we don't know Yoshi's final smash in this game.
-For his specials, I could mainly see him being a faster, but weaker Yoshi. I also see him running out of stamina, so all his speed can't just be in one go
-Given that all final smashes are being streamlined, I could see Yoshi's being more different - For Boshi's, it'd probably have a horde of Yoshi's persuaded by cookies, similar to the opening of Melee. If Yoshi were to get this as a final smash, Boshi would have more Boshi's on the screen and possibly a Croco cameo

So... A bit more changes than the typical Echo, but if you were to trim it down some: He runs faster, is less strong (or some mechanic closer to Lucina's; can't quite think of what that'd be), animation quirks, and that's it.

Now, really, only Geno has any shot in hell, but it's a nice topic to discuss. If someone else has played a game recently and wants to talk about those characters in Smash, I'd LOVE to hear from them! (Even if I'm unfamiliar with the game - If it's a Nintendo game though, we can talk characters)
Mallow heavy?

That would be really weird because heavy is the complete opposite of what I would expect from a cloud person.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I feel this is a pretty big issue with speculation these days and a problem I have with it, in particular. Rather than characters who naturally fit the Echo Fighter role (i.e. have basically nothing to bring to the table or would would require contriving a different moveset out of the same material as another character), people are trying to mash characters into that role by force. I think Dixie, Dark Samus, and Shadow are the biggest victims of this. Our existing Echoes are characters who fight/play exactly like their counterparts with different stats, which is what they are in Smash, as well.

Also didn't they say we're getting over 100 50 Assist Trophies? I don't think an Assist Trophy being absent in a fairly incomplete demo means much of anything. It could very well be that they wanted to revamp some of the more boring Assist Trophies like Shadow to be more like Knuckles, who is much more like an incomplete fighter than being a glorified item.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

This has always been my thought on 3rd Party echoes. It simply feels wrong. Even for Ken who is commonly attributed to "Ryu clone" has evolved so much further than that since the SF1 days to the point where Smash Ryu does several things Ken simply doesn't. 3rd Party characters are always treated with care, and Making Ken an Echo of Ryu is a disservice to Ken at this point in the Street Fighter Franchise.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
PapaGenos you're on here? you make some good videos

anyways im glad you have seen the light on 3rd party echoes being very unlikely. I do think Shadow is getting in as his own character (i was so confident i put a bet on myself, betting on my soul and drinking mustard water) and i could See Shadow getting in before Eggman and Tails cause Shadow is the 2nd most popular Sonic character, and He's honestly iconic himself (maybe not as much as Eggman and Tails, but they don't tower over him) however i do agree its more likely that Shadow is not in the game than him being an echo
Thank you!

Yeah I mean I'm personally not thinking shadow will get in but if he did, I dont see him as an echo instead im thinking he'd have to be a semi-clone and added as a 2nd sonic rep on the merit that the sonic series deserves a 2nd rep... though i think if you give the sonic series a second rep tails/eggman are more likely over shadow but hey i could be wrong there thats more of an opinion. However, any of the third party series getting a 2nd rep this time seems unlikely to me so who knows.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Actually MGS2 Raiden would be a perfect echo conceptually even, since that's basically what he is in that game too.

Also didn't they say we're getting over 100 Assist Trophies? I don't think an Assist Trophy being absent in a fairly incomplete demo means much of anything. It could very well be that they wanted to revamp some of the more boring Assist Trophies like Shadow to be more like Knuckles, who is much more like an incomplete fighter than being a glorified item.
They said 50+ which is... a lot less than 100. Also I don't think they're really revamping assist trophies, some are just different types than others.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Geno: Fantastic! Except Up B definitely should be Geno Cannon, but that's just me. Probably many others there too. I like the move set idea still for sure
The guy did a really good job, definitely. Also, really liked the art. Anyway, yeah, I can definitely see some changes. But I like the stuff s/he came up with!

Mallow: Ooh, I like these assist trophy concepts. I was thinking more in realms of playable, but seeing maybe a chance like either he cries and makes the weather worse for the players, or he does a lot of special moves.
I would love for Mallow to also become playable, but I guess I can't get past "Assist Trophy" in my head. Love your ideas, though.

I love how personal/intimate his storyline is in SMRPG. I think Geno does a great job of being the "overall plot" person. But we get to know Mallow really well. Goes from young kid who cries a lot to hero! Pretty good stuff.

Boshi: I don't expect too many changes for the echoes - I don't know if they have to be the same speed or not? If they do, I'd do even less, but I feel mostly with animations you could easily have a fun time w/ Boshi - I think the Yoshi series has been grossly undermined in the Smash games over the personality it has, so finally giving some bone to Yoshi fans would be neat.
Yoshi fans deserve some love. Right Zinith Zinith ?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
those still all seems more like a reference to MGS3 rather than an indication that he’s a mix character. I mean his trophy is named Solid Snake rather than just Snake.
Still, it makes a Big Boss Echo feel less special, imagine of Reyn from Xenoblade got in and he uses Shulk's Dsmash and goes "Now it's Reyn time!" Those were references to Reyn in Shulk's moveset so Rey having those makes perfect sense but feels rather redundant

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well alongside the leopard print, butterfly C4, beard and the green bandana, it's more than a funny reference
I don't think it is. The leopard print's an alt costume, the C4 is just another reference when Solid Snake also uses C4, the beard is asset reuse, and the bandana is just stretching the color palette.

By and large this is MGS2 Snake, even ignoring every reference there is to MGS1 and 2.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
This has always been my thought on 3rd Party echoes. It simply feels wrong. Even for Ken who is commonly attributed to "Ryu clone" has evolved so much further than that since the SF1 days to the point where Smash Ryu does several things Ken simply doesn't. 3rd Party characters are always treated with care, and Making Ken an Echo of Ryu is a disservice to Ken at this point in the Street Fighter Franchise.
The only thing I'll address here is the notion that echoes are lesser characters and a disservice to the character that gets made into one.

I'm not even gonna debate about whether that's true or not, because that doesn't matter. What matters is if Sakurai sees it that way, and I don't really think he does. He was content making one of his own characters into an echo and not utilizing any of his unique potential, so I think Sakurai is much more open to the concept than a lot of the fans are. I just don't see him thinking that making a character playable is a disservice just because they're cloned off another one.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
those still all seems more like a reference to MGS3 rather than an indication that he’s a mix character. I mean his trophy is named Solid Snake rather than just Snake.
Snake's face in Smash is really odd as he looks more like Big Boss than Solid Snake himself, while still having Snake's suit. I agree that it's more than a reference and more akin to a mix. Brawl has an actual MGS2 Solid Snake trophy and their beards and general face don't match, while it matches more with the Big Boss trophy in the same game.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Still, it makes a Big Boss Echo feel less special, imagine of Reyn from Xenoblade got in and he uses Shulk's Dsmash and goes "Now it's Reyn time!" Those were references to Reyn in Shulk's moveset so Rey having those makes perfect sense but feels rather redundant
Oh no I agree, I love Big Boss but I feel he’s a bit redundant as a character since he shares so much aesthetically with Solid already.

I wouldn’t mind if he had big boss alt costume similar to the koopalings or Alph, but That’s a bit of a long shot.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m not big on 3rd party characters getting Echoes. I’m not cool with Echoes in fact...

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut.....

If I had to, then:

Sonic and Shadow
Pac Man and Ms Pac Man
Mega Man and Roll
Ryu and Ken
Cloud and Zak
Bayonetta and Jeane

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only thing I'll address here is the notion that echoes are lesser characters and a disservice to the character that gets made into one.

I'm not even gonna debate about whether that's true or not, because that doesn't matter. What matters is if Sakurai sees it that way, and I don't really think he does. He was content making one of his own characters into an echo and not utilizing any of his unique potential, so I think Sakurai is much more open to the concept than a lot of the fans are. I just don't see him thinking that making a character playable is a disservice just because they're cloned off another one.
Sakurai might not, but I don't know about Sega and their precious mascot-children. I don't know how deeply involved in the character creation process or how much content needs to be run through them, but if they're as strict as they are with Sonic's skin color, they might see Shadow being a clone a disservice.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I know what you're getting at, I just don't think that logic extends to 3rd parties. For example, Dixie and Dark Samus should both be unique if they were in Smash, but I can accept them as Echoes because, quite frankly, that's probably a fate they are doomed to serve. On the other hand, it seems like a waste to secure the rights of a 3rd party for the only purpose of using them as an Echo, especially when 3rd party characters in Smash have always been handled with utmost care to represent them faithfully.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

I dont think sakurai sees a character being an echo as a bad thing, like you said, but i do think sakurai is concerned with making a character feel like they are represented the right way. and i dont think he'll add a character as an echo fighter if he feels that isn't how the character should play anyway (as in he'll never de-clone them cause this was the right way to rep them, not just cause making them an echo is an easy add to the roster).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom