• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A - Ashley
B - Bandana Waddle Dee OR Boshi
C - Captain Toad
D - Dexidueye
E - Elma
F - Fawful
G - Geno
H - Hoenn Pokemon Trainer (Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken)
I - Isaac
J - Joker
K - Knack
L - Leon Kennedy OR Lyn
M - Marx
N - Ninten
O - Octolings
P - Professor Layton
Q - Quick Man
R - Revali
S - Skull Kid
T - Tharja
U - Urbosa
V - Viridi
W - Waluigi
X - Xenomorph (Alien Isolation 3rd party let's goooooo)
Y - Yooka/Laylee
Z - Zero
OH **** BAYBEE IT'S KNACK! THIS'LL TRULY BE THE ULTIMATE SMASH BAYBEE! REGGY FINALLY GOT IT!

Almost reminds me of the time Dunkey beat Sky in Smash.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eight's the main character of Dragon Quest VIII, arguably the most popular game in the series.
Also good to mention that none of the DQ protagonists have names so we just call them by their series denomination.
The exception of course, being Erdrick.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Eight's the main character of Dragon Quest VIII, arguably the most popular game in the series.
If they were going to pick anyone from DQVIII, they'd pick Jessica.

Can't imagine why. :laugh:

...Okay, maybe Yangus.

It's even worse than that, they don't even want to read like two words.

Abilities on a pretty good sum of wikias tell ya about base abilities and the like in little snippets under the character's profile pic.
*looks on Ribbon Girl's page*
Arms Wiki said:
Ribbon Girl's unique mechanics revolve around movement in midair, encouraging a playstyle focused on jumping. She is able to perform up to 4 mid-air jumps, air-dash twice, and quickly fall to the ground.
Unlike Mac, she an air fighter!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Also good to mention that none of the DQ protagonists have names so we just call them by their series denomination.
The exception of course, being Erdrick.
At least Eight has a name, the poor hero from Dragon Quest I doesn't have that luxury.

If they were going to pick anyone from DQVIII, they'd pick Jessica.

Can't imagine why. :laugh:

...Okay, maybe Yangus.
One idea I always liked was giving Eight the ability to summon Jessica, Yangus, and Angelo for his special moves, similar to Captain Commando/Ginyu. Making your party work together as a whole unit is always an important aspect of Dragon Quest, so I think it makes sense to reflect this in Eight's moveset.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My thoughts on the Spring Man/Ribbon Girl "leak:"
Give it a chance. Smash Bros. has been known to take liberties in the past, so they may do the same here. None of the Koopalings have used an individual clown car, let alone one with wheels, Alph doesn't have Rock Pikmin, and Lucina fights nothing like Marth and yet she's an Echo of him.
stealthyfrog said:
Ribbon Girl's main gimmick in ARMS is having multiple jumps... but everyone in Smash has multiple jumps. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl can easily be skins of the same basic character.
I agree with this.

Also, if we get a Dragon Quest Representative, it's either going to be Erdrick or Slime. Erdrick is the series' Marth and Slime is the de facto series' mascot.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I really wanted DQVIII for Christmas the year it came out, but since I was visiting relatives out of state, they couldn’t find it in stores. They did get me that PS2 Star Ocean game tho, and I got hooked on Star Ocean ever since. In fact I liked how that game’s battle mechanics had the ability to launch enemies up in the air a la Smash.

Fayt Leingod for Smash Ultimate

KMDP

Smash Legend
To be fair, she's my second fave DQ gal after Alena (besides, Yangus can always be an AT).
DQVIII is the only Dragon Quest I played. Most of the reason I got it was because of the Toriyama style, the other, smaller reason is because I thought Jessica was hot. XD

...What?

Pakky

Smash Hero
The most important aspect of Eight is that he goes super saiyan rosé

Young boys need maidens to guide their ships:love::love:

She guided mine, let me tell you. Though the 3DS version censored her and I was like :urg: :glare:I ain't buying that.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
View attachment 154214

Got bored so I did a new game based on the previous word association one:

A-Z of newcomers. We're in a parallel universe where 26 newcomer is feasible, but you can only have one of each letter. Who you pick?

A: Andy
B: Bandana Dee
C: Captain Toad
D: Dixie Kong
E: Elma
F: Fossil Fighter
G: Gooey
H: Henry Flemming(you're welcome Oppossum)
I: Impa
J: Jashin(and Doshin)
K: Kamek
L: Lyn
M: Meowth
N: Nikki(was a tough choice)
O: Octoling
P: Porky(although Paper Mario was close)
Q: Qbby
R: Ribbon Girl
S: Slippy Toad(Samurai Goroh was close)
T: Toad
U: Urobosa(not many U's)
V: Vaati
W: Waluigi
X: Xander(again not many X's)
Y: Yuga
Z: Zoroark (almost went for Zant but way too many Zelda newcomers)

What are yours?
A: Ashley
B: Banjo-Kazooie
D: Decidueye
F: Funky Kong
G: Ganon
H: Henry Flemming
I: Isaac
J: Joanna Dark
K: Krystal
L: Lycanroc
M: Midna
N: Nintendo Labo Robot
P: Peppy Hare
R: Ray
S: Slippy Toad
T: Tetra
U: Urbosa
X: X
Y: Yuri
Z: Zoroark

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

OH **** BAYBEE IT'S KNACK! THIS'LL TRULY BE THE ULTIMATE SMASH BAYBEE! REGGY FINALLY GOT IT!

Almost reminds me of the time Dunkey beat Sky in Smash.
Well, with everybody selecting K Rool as their K character, I figured I'd go off the beaten path a bit. Had Knack been a Nintendo property and not a Sony property, his moveset would actually be pretty enjoyable since he can shift sizes.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Yeah, that's debatable.

Slime is, by and large, the mascot of the series and definitely its most popular character. The big problem Slime poses (IMO) is moveset potential and how well his hypothetical moveset actually reflects the gameplay of Dragon Quest. Its tough to make a fully functional fighter out of a character that has no arms/legs. Likewise, most characters in Smash Bros try to reflect what the gameplay of their home series is like. It would be strange to have the sword and sorcery world of Dragon Quest solely portrayed by a blob of smile.

The best way to get around these issues would be to give Slime a move set based around the various monsters of Dragon Quest. However, I still feel that one of the series human characters would be a much better fit than even a monster-based move set.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I posted this in the Ashley thread, but I feel its important for all Smash Bros. speculators to read:

It is still possible we get a Nintendo Direct either this week or next week. I think the topic of such a Direct would probably be just about Nintendo 3DS software. The Nintendo 3DS was not featured at all in the E3 2018 Direct, and yet Nintendo has stated they plan to support the console through 2019. There is also the fact that the last two games that have set release dates in Japan (WarioWare Gold and Etrian Odyssey X) both release next week. After that Nintendo just has a nebulous "2018" release for Luigi's Mansion, and a "2019" release for the Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story remake.

Kimishima has confirmed that they still have games that they plan to release in 2018 that they still have announced yet.

It would make sense to have a Nintendo Direct either this week or next week, so that:
1. They can give a last minute push and spotlight to WarioWare Gold (and Etrian Odyssey X in Japan).
2. Give some spotlight to Yokai Watch Busters (which releases on September 7th in North America and Europe).
3. Show off new details about Luigi's Mansion and possibly Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.
4. Show off any unannounced Nintendo 3DS titles, especially ones that they plan to release in 2018 or Q1 2019.
5. Possibly throw in a newcomer unveil trailer for Ultimate.

This is all conjecture. They can easily avoid not giving any more spotlight to WarioWare Gold, and even put off doing a 3DS focused Nintendo Direct entirely, and instead put any unannounced 3DS titles into the likely September Nintendo Direct (in recent years there has been a Nintendo Direct in September that gave focus to titles releasing in Q4 of that year). Also, the last time there was a Nintendo Direct dedicated only to Nintendo 3DS software was September 2016, nearly two years ago.

What is riding on a Nintendo Direct happening either this week or next week is not just the probability of an Ashley confirmation, but also just how many newcomers there will be in Ultimate. We are only 4.5 months away from release, and there have only been three newcomers confirmed for Ultimate (one of which was a echo fighter, the cloney-iest of clones). Sakurai has said not to "expect too many new fighters", and most serious speculators only expect ten non-echo newcomers at most and five more non-echo newcomers at least. If they are going to wait until September to start confirming one newcomer per month, or until the likely Smash Bros. Direct in November, there could very well be only five more non-echo newcomers at most, and most likely only two or three more.

I am personally neutral on Ashley as a character. However, much like other Smash Bros. fans, I would like to see some new information on Ultimate considering it has been over six weeks since we learned anything new (granted the Ultimate unveil by far gave us more information than any other unveil ever for a Smash Bros. title). Typically, newcomer confirmations have been spaced out, especially so during a title's last few months prior to release.

During the last five months of Brawl's release, Ike, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, and Olimar were confirmed. During the last four months for Smash 4, Palutena, Mii Fighters, Pac-Man, Lucina, Robin, and Shulk were confirmed. It is important to note that three of those listed for Smash 4 were confirmed during E3, and both Robin and Lucina shared a trailer (and Lucina is an echo fighter).

For Ultimate's E3, there was the same amount of newcomers confirmed as the Fire Emblem Smash 4 trailer, a newcomer and an echo newcomer. This would leave only the Smash Bros. Direct before Ultimate's release as the sole opportunity to have more than one newcomer confirmation for a direct (aside from some newcomer trailers possibly also confirming an echo newcomer like Robin's did).

Aside from the possible 3DS focused Direct, the only other opportunities for Directs with a newcomer unveil for Ultimate would be the September Direct and the Ultimate focused Direct. There is also a possibility a Pokemon newcomer could be confirmed for a possible Pokemon Let's Go focused Nintendo Direct. Another possibility is that Sakurai announces newcomer unveils via Twitter like he did for the trailer that unveiled Robin and Lucina.

However, each week that goes by without any new information learned, the probability of there being only two or three more non-echo newcomers left increases, since it will become increasingly likely the plan will be not to space out newcomer confirmations, but rather to save them all for an Ultimate focused Nintendo Direct that will likely happen some time in November.

So its not just the probability of Ashley that will take a hit after next week without a Nintendo Direct, but also the probability of ALL possible newcomers, especially ones that can not be implemented as echo fighters. Each week without a Nintendo Direct or a newcomer confirmation, the probability of an additional non-echo newcomer slot goes down quite a bit.

We shall see what happens. A few weeks ago, I was optimistic that Ashley was going to be the next newcomer confirmed for Ultimate and that we would likely have a Nintendo Direct either this week or next week. However, now I believe such odds for a Nintendo Direct and newcomer confirmation either this week or next week are only 50/50. The primary impetus for this this change in thought was no new information being revealed for the release date of the Captain Toad ports, not even a character of the day update for Peach (of which Toad is a part of).

It is becoming increasingly apparent that there is so much content from the June 12th unveil that can be posted on the Smash Blog, that we could very well be looking at several months before a new stage, item, Assist Trophy, Pokemon, or newcomer we have not seen on June 12th is confirmed or shown.

One less Nintendo Direct means one less opportunity for a newcomer confirmation. It is important for not just Ashley fans, but fans of all prospective newcomers to keep their fingers crossed for a Nintendo Direct either this week or next week. Hopefully, we will learn who Fighter #66 is by the end of next week.

If not, then who knows when we will learn. It may be all the way in September (when the next Nintendo Direct will likely happen), or Sakurai could be saving all he has left for November for Ultimate's Direct. If that is the case, I suggest for every serious speculator to revise their expectations on not only who to expect but what to expect (very few additional non-echo newcomers). If the character you are hoping for can not easily be made an echo fighter of another currently existing character on the roster, it might be for the best to keep your expectations low after next week.

We shall see. It is definitely still possible that Ashley is a newcomer in Ultimate if nothing happens this week or next week, just as it is still possible for any other character that has not already been de-confirmed. However, the longer it takes for any newcomer confirmations to happen (unless they start doing two per month starting in September), the more likely we will have less than eight more non-echo newcomers in Ultimate. Less than five more also becomes an increasingly likely possibility if nothing happens in August.

I do not care what happens to Ashley in Ultimate, but I still feel this is an important analysis to share.
Interesting read.

For now I'll stick to the assumption that we'll get 6 more newcomers, based on the Vergeben "leaks", with one of them being Simon Belmont.
And with 6 I mean 6 non-echos. I wouldn't imagine us only getting 3 more and 3 echos... though it is possible - Sakurai told us not to expect too many. When I first heard him say that I was pretty concerned and thought we might only have 2-3 left.
Anyway, so I'm assuming 6 more newcomers and maybe 3-4 echos.
Which would be 8 new original characters and 4-5 echos... = 12-13 new characters. Maybe that's too much for "not expecting too many"?

We'll see.

I still think we'll get a few more through DLC (even if it's planned ones that weren't able to be finished on time).

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Slime is, by and large, the mascot of the series and definitely its most popular character. The big problem Slime poses (IMO) is moveset potential and how well his hypothetical moveset actually reflects the gameplay of Dragon Quest. Its tough to make a fully functional fighter out of a character that has no arms/legs. Likewise, most characters in Smash Bros try to reflect what the gameplay of their home series is like. It would be strange to have the sword and sorcery world of Dragon Quest solely portrayed by a blob of smile.

The best way to get around these issues would be to give Slime a move set based around the various monsters of Dragon Quest. However, I still feel that one of the series human characters would be a much better fit than even a monster-based move set.
This has nothing to do with Slime, lol. It's a list of all the games in the series where people voted on which was their favorite. Overwhelming support for III and V. Dragon Quest III is THE Dragon Quest game, not VIII. VIII's just the first one most Americans were likely to play.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'd just like to remind people that if you want a hard mode in Gen 6/7 all you have to do is turn of the Exp.Share. Especially in Gen 7 it gives the game an absolutely ridiculous difficulty curve where you really have to take advantage of your pokemon's strengths and weaknesses to overcome your overleveled opponents. It's still an issue that the game doesn't indicate that the Exp.Share is supposed to act a normal/hard mode toggle, but the game can still be a really fun challenge for veterans such as myself.

Also cutscenes =/= tutorial. S/M do have an annoying tutorial problem, but a ton of cutscenes are just there to drive the story forward. The issue is that they're unskippable for second playthroughs and that game areas tend to be very small with little room to explore. Hopefully Gen 8 will upon up the game world a bit more, even if the extra exploring is all optional so that those impatient casual players Masuda is so worried about can skip over all that (although I'm not really counting on it, I can still hope).
I completely agree on the second half.

I don't think turning experience share off is good enough as a replacement for a "Hard Mode." I remember Ultra Necrozma being a bit of a wall for me for a minute but other than that I can't remember a point where I was actually stuck. I feel like Pokemon games could make themselves more difficult naturally by curving experience gain much sooner and more steeply.

I don't want to beat one of the so called top 13 strongest trainers in the region with a Squirtle and a Pidgey. Tbh, Gym leaders should always have 6 Pokemon and it should be a requirement to have 6 mons before entering, as opposed to the backwards crap Go! is throwing our way. My way theoretically ruins Nuzlocke's, but a fix to that would be making Gym battles start a little later on a player's journey. Let them get their feet wet first. Make them actually have a team prepared and be able to stand on some ground as a Trainer who wants to take on the league.

Of course then the game "has pacing issues" and "breaks the Gen 1 mold" and wouldn't that just be awful.....ah well. I got Insurgence and Reborn so I'm happy with "Challenging Pokemon games" for now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it’s entirely possible that Ribbon Girl gets in as an alt of Spring Man similar to the Koopalings.

Yeah, they have their differences, but even i’m not sure if they’re different enough that that leak is invalidated by it.

I don’t think it’s a real leak but who knows? If that happens, that will blow everything everyone currently believes is going to happen apart. So that might actually be awesome.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'd just like to remind people that if you want a hard mode in Gen 6/7 all you have to do is turn of the Exp.Share. Especially in Gen 7 it gives the game an absolutely ridiculous difficulty curve where you really have to take advantage of your pokemon's strengths and weaknesses to overcome your overleveled opponents. It's still an issue that the game doesn't indicate that the Exp.Share is supposed to act a normal/hard mode toggle, but the game can still be a really fun challenge for veterans such as myself.

Also cutscenes =/= tutorial. S/M do have an annoying tutorial problem, but a ton of cutscenes are just there to drive the story forward. The issue is that they're unskippable for second playthroughs and that game areas tend to be very small with little room to explore. Hopefully Gen 8 will upon up the game world a bit more, even if the extra exploring is all optional so that those impatient casual players Masuda is so worried about can skip over all that (although I'm not really counting on it, I can still hope).
Exp. Share definitely is.

I honestly don’t know where I would’ve done without it. But if they indicated that it technically was a hard mode then that would’ve ended a lot of complaints about the difficulty of the game.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
View attachment 154214

A-Z of newcomers. We're in a parallel universe where 26 newcomer is feasible, but you can only have one of each letter. Who you pick?

What are yours?
Tough one.

A - Ashley
B - Banjo-Kazooie
C - Chrom
D - Dixie Kong
E - Elma
F - Fawful
G - Geno
H - Hilda
I - Impa
J - Jack Frost
K - King K Rool
L - Lloyd Irving
M - Medusa
N - Nights
O- Octolings
P - Paper Mario
Q - Qbby
R - Rayman
S - Spyro
T - Tiki
U - Urbosa
V - Vaati
W - Waddle Dee (with a bandanna, gonna cheat a bit)
X - Xander (yeah gonna copy you but can’t think of another, plus I really just like him)
Y - Yarn Yoshi, idk
Z - Zant

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
This has nothing to do with Slime, lol. It's a list of all the games in the series where people voted on which was their favorite. Overwhelming support for III and V. Dragon Quest III is THE Dragon Quest game, not VIII. VIII's just the first one most Americans were likely to play.
Oh wow lol. That really went over the my head. I probably should've looked at the numbers.

I definitely agree that III is the biggest game in Japan, being the 3rd best seller in Japan and often viewed as the series' Magnum Opus. However, VIII gets a big leg up when worldwide view is taken into account. VIII is the 2nd best selling DQ game in North America, the first game to carry the Dragon Quest title outside of Japan, and was the first DQ game to see a release outside of North America and Japan. DQVIII is also fairly popular in Japan, being the 4th best selling DQ game in Japan, being the second DQ highest ranked game on Famitsu's top 100 games, and being the 4th highest ranked game overall on Famitsu's top 100 games.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think it’s entirely possible that Ribbon Girl gets in as an alt of Spring Man similar to the Koopalings.

Yeah, they have their differences, but even i’m not sure if they’re different enough that that leak is invalidated by it.

I don’t think it’s a real leak but who knows? If that happens, that will blow everything everyone currently believes is going to happen apart. So that might actually be awesome.
I mean, is it really that hard to implement their main gameplay differences as to make them into Echos / regular clones, though? It’d be very simple to give Ribbon Girl two or three more midair jumps, a very high fastfall speed, remove some of Spring Man’s specific gimmicks, and tweak a few hitbox properties (I.e. electric hitboxes instead of fire ones.) I guess it’s possible that they could be costumes, but, doesn’t ARMS rather heavily promote differences in personality between the characters (why have such a diverse cast otherwise, right?)

It just kind of bothers me in general when people think every character in ARMS is a clone of every other ARMS character just because they have the same basic moves in ARMS, though, when, theoretically, they might have a lot different style in Smash. Remember that they’d need some close range moves in addition to long stretchy punches, and that’s where their personal fighting styles would come out in a way that’s not expressed that much in ARMS, if they really wanted to have more than one unique character or Wolf style derivative character, which I highly doubt they would, but still.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
View attachment 154214

What are yours?
A: Ashley
C: Chorus Kids
D: Dillon
E: Ephraim
F: Funky Kong
G: Gengar
H: Heihachi
I: Isabelle
J: Jeanne
K: King K. Rool
L: Lloyd Irving
M: Mach Rider
N: Ninten
P: Peppy Hare
Q: Quote
R: Rex & Pyra
S: Skull Kid
T: Tetra
V: Velvet Crowe
W: Warrior of Light(Final Fantasy)
X: Xezat(Final Fantasy NPC who dies quickly, I don't know, not that man X named VG characters I can name)
Y: Yuri Lowell
Z: Zoda(F-Zero)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Look at the hair.
Any particular reasons why you are so confident on Ashley aside from the nearby release? I am pretty curious about it.
Guess because people just like her. i dunno. Then again, Popularity alone doesn't give you a character slot.

A: Arcade Rabbit
B: Bandana Dee (Sorry Zinith)
C: Captian Toad
D: Decidueye
E: Electivire
F: Fawful
G: Grovyle
H: Heracross
J: Capsule J2 (I was desperate)
M: Marx
N: Nikki
P: Paper Mario
R: Roserade
S: Scizor (Sceptile is close)
T: Typhlosion
V: Vatti
X: Xander
Y: Yarn Yoshi
Z: Zero from Mega Man

Arcade Rabbit from the Badge Arcade.
Imagining Jojo Bunny for a Final Smash
ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

tumblr_nxom05EA7R1r5a98co1_400.jpg

All jokes aside, I really do like the arade bunny, he could be a fun fighter.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Aren't there tons of DQ slime species? Would a fighter that shifts between them for moves like MegaMan's copy ability moveset work? I remember liking Rocket Slime on DS a lot, but that's the most familiar I've been with the series.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, is it really that hard to implement their main gameplay differences as to make them into Echos / regular clones, though? It’d be very simple to give Ribbon Girl two or three more midair jumps, a very high fastfall speed, remove some of Spring Man’s specific gimmicks, and tweak a few hitbox properties (I.e. electric hitboxes instead of fire ones.) I guess it’s possible that they could be costumes, but, doesn’t ARMS rather heavily promote differences in personality between the characters (why have such a diverse cast otherwise, right?)

It just kind of bothers me in general when people think every character in ARMS is a clone of every other ARMS character just because they have the same basic moves in ARMS, though, when, theoretically, they might have a lot different style in Smash. Remember that they’d need some close range moves in addition to long stretchy punches, and that’s where their personal fighting styles would come out in a way that’s not expressed that much in ARMS, if they really wanted to have more than one unique character or Wolf style derivative character, which I highly doubt they would, but still.
By no means do I think Ribbon Girl SHOULD be a clone. I just don’t think it’s necessarily something to shoot down a leak with. Crazier things have happened.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I completely agree on the second half.

I don't think turning experience share off is good enough as a replacement for a "Hard Mode." I remember Ultra Necrozma being a bit of a wall for me for a minute but other than that I can't remember a point where I was actually stuck. I feel like Pokemon games could make themselves more difficult naturally by curving experience gain much sooner and more steeply.

I don't want to beat one of the so called top 13 strongest trainers in the region with a Squirtle and a Pidgey. Tbh, Gym leaders should always have 6 Pokemon and it should be a requirement to have 6 mons before entering, as opposed to the backwards crap Go! is throwing our way. My way theoretically ruins Nuzlocke's, but a fix to that would be making Gym battles start a little later on a player's journey. Let them get their feet wet first. Make them actually have a team prepared and be able to stand on some ground as a Trainer who wants to take on the league.

Of course then the game "has pacing issues" and "breaks the Gen 1 mold" and wouldn't that just be awful.....ah well. I got Insurgence and Reborn so I'm happy with "Challenging Pokemon games" for now.
I don't know about requiring Six Pokémon...

One solution is to... you know, switch up what types the Gym Leaders have a little more.
One gym order I came up with a few years ago was Rock > Ice > Bug > Electric > Flying > Dark > Psychic > Fighting. With the Elite Four being Grass, Fire, Water, Dragon; and the natural Mixed team for the Champion.

I know Rock is still the first. XD But have a "complicated type" like Ice for the second gym. In most Pokémon games you should have a Rock, Fighting or Fire type to deal with Ice-types by the second gym, and Ice being the Glass Cannon type (in this case, great offensively, terrible defensively) makes for a more risky gym fight and a good foil to the more Defensive Rock type. (Also, you'd be rewarded for picking the Fire Starter by having an easier second/third gym, after the slog of the first, deferred gratification!).

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Aren't there tons of DQ slime species? Would a fighter that shifts between them for moves like MegaMan's copy ability moveset work? I remember liking Rocket Slime on DS a lot, but that's the most familiar I've been with the series.
This is probably the most common idea for a Slime moveset I've seen, one that has Slime as a character that morphs. Here is probably the best execution of this idea I've seen:

While I do think this could be an interesting moveset for a fighter, it still struggles to get over my second hurdle for Slime representing the Dragon Quest's play style and atmosphere of Dragon Quest. It also doesn't answer important questions posed to Slime, such as how it will grab.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
View attachment 154214

What are yours?
Sure why not? Though since this is an alternate universe I'm going to include some already disconfirmed characters, because why not.

A: Andy (I like Ashley a lot too, but I went with 9-Volt for N for lack of other options and I didn't want to include two WarioWare reps)
B: Banjo (Bomberman is a super close second for me)
C: Captain Syrup
F: Fossil Fighter (Don't know too much about this one, but it would be a new franchise and it seems cool enough)
G: Goemon
H: Hanafuda (I guess? or maybe Heihachi?)
I: Isaac (would love to see Impa or Isabelle as well, but Isaac wins for a number of reasons for me)
J: Jack Frost
K: King K. Rool
L: Lip
M: Mallo (Marshall from Rhythm Heaven would also be a good choice here)
N: 9-Volt (cheating sort of I guess, but he's otherwise ineligible)
O: Octolings (didn't really want to include echos, but I'm having trouble coming up with anyone else)
P: Prince Sable
R: (Captain) Rainbow (lol totally cheating but whatever)
S: Springman
T: Tingle (would like to see Tethu as well, but I've wanted Tingle for longer)
V: Viridi or Vaati (not really too attached to either, but either would make fine fighters I think)
W: Wonder Red
X: ???
Y: Yuri I guess?
Z: Zael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom