• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Dude I had no idea how much of a boss Reggie really was though.

Man don't play. He kicking *** at all the companies he worked for.
I guess that’s why Reggie said that they were about kicking ass at his First E3.

He knows he gonna make Nintendo kick everyone’s ass.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
oh... oh god.
this would just be a perpetual debate of K. Rool and Ridley and people would be arguing apples and oranges and I'd have to explain how programming works and just imagining that is suffering

I already hate explaining programming every time someone brings up Porky

I can't believe Geno is going to be an Echo Fighter of Dixie.

Discuss.

I love that stage. I hope the top part doesn't damage but even if it does, it looks better than half of the new Smash Wii U stages, at least.
So is Dixie going to be shooting a gun or is geno gonna take off that hat and reveal a ponytail?

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Yeah, even though it's probably fake.

The Meteos leak is more effort than A LOT of leakers have put out there.

I do LOVE the idea of the leak though. That's the type of **** I like Sakurai doing. Unexpected characters that make you go ''Huh." in a good way.
That's why it have more credibility than if it was a character like springman or k rool.
Because is such a weird character that noone has even mention in all the... 500 fake leaks we had? something like that, but yeah, if is fake then it is a great fake.
Now I don't know what kind of moveset this character could have, but at the same time what kind of moveset could villager or wiifit trainer have?
This leak confuses me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Being a staunch proponent of Isaac being in Smash as well, I can't help but wonder if characters from series that are usually on handhelds are at a disadvantage as well. Obviously Pokemon is a huge exception to this, but overall it seems like we don't get a whole lot of handheld exclusive characters otherwise.
A bit late on this, but basically, yes. Have you seen many supporters for the Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents? Meanwhile Prince Sable is consigned to AT status (granted, it's just one game that the prince showed up in on the GB, but still).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't want Gengar in the game. This would give Gen 1 more reps (7) than the entirety of the Zelda franchise (6). Sure, it's the first and the most iconic, but that doesn't mean that it should have more reps than all of Zelda!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It does boggle my mind how people think that Dixie Kong would be Diddy Kong's Echo Fighter, when they actually operate differently. First of all, I don't recall Dixie using a Rocketbarrel Pack in any mainstream games, and she also lacks a tail, which is what Diddy uses whenever he executes the infinite portion of his neutral attack.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It does boggle my mind how people think that Dixie Kong would be Diddy Kong's Echo Fighter, when they actually operate differently. First of all, I don't recall Dixie using a Rocketbarrel Pack in any mainstream games, and she also lacks a tail, which is what Diddy uses whenever he executes his infinite.
Yeah. Dixie is too distinct from Diddy to be an Echo. I don't know why people think that Isabelle should be an Echo either, given that she and the Villager don't have the same body proportions.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It does boggle my mind how people think that Dixie Kong would be Diddy Kong's Echo Fighter, when they actually operate differently. First of all, I don't recall Dixie using a Rocketbarrel Pack in any mainstream games, and she also lacks a tail, which is what Diddy uses whenever he executes his infinite.
There are no Toads in Sarasaland, so the Rocketbarrel argument is invalid

And we don't know yet if the new third jab is a replacement or a "gentleman"

So the possibility is there. But I hope she's more unique.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's why it have more credibility than if it was a character like springman or k rool.
Because is such a weird character that noone has even mention in all the... 500 fake leaks we had? something like that, but yeah, if is fake then it is a great fake.
Now I don't know what kind of moveset this character could have, but at the same time what kind of moveset could villager or wiifit trainer have?
This leak confuses me.
Keep in mind that leaks with more obscure choices aren't automatically more credible than others.

If there was a leak back in April 2018 that showed us a convincing picture of Captain Syrup and Stanley the Bugman, would we consider it to be more credible than a similar leak that showed us a picture of Daisy and Ridley?

I don't want Gengar in the game. This would give Gen 1 more reps (7) than the entirety of the Zelda franchise (6). Sure, it's the first and the most iconic, but that doesn't mean that it should have more reps than all of Zelda!
People say the number of reps from a certain Gen shouldn't matter, but it's annoying to think that Gen 7 could get passed over for a seventh Gen 1 Pokémon.

We could add another Gen 1 Pokémon at any given time, but Gen 7? It basically has one chance to get a character and that's it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People say the number of reps from a certain Gen shouldn't matter, but it's annoying to think that Gen 7 could get passed over for a seventh Gen 1 Pokémon.

We could add another Gen 1 Pokémon at any given time, but Gen 7? It basically has one chance to get a character and that's it.
Yeah. If a Pokemon gets in then it would probably be from Gen 7.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We've never seen Sarasaland in any game. We have no idea if there even are Toads there.
Point taken.

But still, I don't think proper representation is necessarily an argument for Echo Fighters.

As long as it seems to make sense in some way, which it does in the case of Diddy and Dixie due to a similar body build (minus the tail). the possibility of an Echo is there.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Funny thing is, this sort of thing kinda means little for the leaks such as this bad boy:

View attachment 154092
Nintendo would have little control over information like this from an animation company that has done work on trailers...
Gengar is coming, bois.
I've been tryin' to get y'all ready for it. :V
There were two things that stood out to me about that gengar leak:

1. it was from a company that i could see a leak coming from, outsourcing for minor animation stuff for the trailers to a little known company that does work for nintendo was at least a believable story. the NDA part felt super fake though admittedly.

2. it mentioned gengar was transparent. i found that interesting because characters no longer pass through each other in smash ultimate. its a minor thing and the leaker didnt address it BUT it could explain partially, from a game play perspective anyway, why gengar would be choosen. thats a unique ability gengar could have over the other fighter this time and since the leak didnt even highlight it as being why he was transparent it just felt like it would be something no one would think up (a fighter who can move past the opponent) but if you were sakurai figuring out the mechanics of the game the idea of a ghost that can by-pass this mechanic might come to mind as a good idea for a fighter.

gengar of course is also a gen1 pokemon and pokemon go! exploded around the time the roster was probably being decided and gamefreaks has clearly been pushing gen1/pokemon go crowd stuff lately (its funny but its just been two years and it takes gaming companies time to get their marketing and of course games together and already pandering to the pokemon go crowd feels a bit "outdated" yet we are seeing it happen just now). gengar is also similar to why i argued eevee might be playable (until eevee was revealed as a pokeball pokemon) and that is that if you simply go out into stores and look at pokemon merch, the gengar line is VERY popular for just general marketing and stuff, the original ghost trio is all over hats and shirts and stuff so i could see it happening, the pokemon has a fanbase and gamefreaks knows it.

i dont beleive the leak really but its stuck with me for whatever reason and gengar as the pokemon newcomer would be both surprising and also a reasonable choice i think a lot of pokemon fans would actually be happy about (except for the gen1 pandering but what ya gonna do).

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
There are no Toads in Sarasaland, so the Rocketbarrel argument is invalid

And we don't know yet if the new third jab is a replacement or a "gentleman"

So the possibility is there. But I hope she's more unique.
Diddy Kong's Gentleman was in Smash 4, it was just harder to execute than the tail attack, making the tail attack way more common.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We've never seen Sarasaland in any game. We have no idea if there even are Toads there.
As far as I know, there were no Toads in Super Mario Land, but it's always possible that some Toad villages began development at Sarasaland at some point after Super Mario Land's events have passed.

However, this is just pure speculation, since Daisy is primarily a spin-off only character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Idea for a newcomer? I was thinking a hero from Dragon Quest in chibi form, with the ability to summon other party members in his attack and the character could be called "Dragon Warriors".

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink

I'm rolling this as ballony but it shouldn't be too much longer anyway
Hi! I'm the person who shared this from this source that will remain anonymous, because I don't want to put them on blast if it turns out to be fake. One thing I would like to note is that the fonts in that image and the American March 8th Nintendo Direct thumbnail are different, so it is a new image. Whether that lends credibility or not is up to you guys.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Point taken.

But still, I don't think proper representation is necessarily an argument for Echo Fighters.

As long as it seems to make sense in some way, which it does in the case of Diddy and Dixie due to a similar body build (minus the tail). the possibility of an Echo is there.
It wouldn't make sense for Dixie to be an Echo Fighter. She has her hair, which opens up a ton of moveset potential, and Diddy's infinite just won't work with her because it involves a tail, which she lacks.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Even as a huge fan of the Kanto region I just can't stress how lucky we Kanto fans are with Smash Brothers. We have Pikachu, Mewtwo, and a form of each of the three Kanto fighters. All of our major bases are covered. You can't ask for more than that and yet somehow Jiggles keeps finding her way back into the game anyway. I'm beyond grateful for what we have.

Look, I love Gengar and Meowth, but it's time for another generation to get its turn. Nostalgia aside, Alola really did go for quality over quantity when it came to their monsters and they deserve at least one to get in if not just because they're generally just so well thought out.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
As far as I know, there were no Toads in Super Mario Land, but it's always possible that some Toad villages began development at Sarasaland at some point after Super Mario Land's events have passed.

However, this is just pure speculation, since Daisy is primarily a spin-off only character.
well she is an unlockable in Super Mario Run now, but beyond that she has been pretty much been in Spinoffs the other 90% of the time.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I would laugh if a new Mario game involving Sarasaland got made some time after Ultimate's release, as a response to the Daisy issue.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Hi! I'm the person who shared this from this source that will remain anonymous, because I don't want to put them on blast if it turns out to be fake. One thing I would like to note is that the fonts in that image and the American March 8th Nintendo Direct thumbnail are different, so it is a new image. Whether that lends credibility or not is up to you guys.
even if the guy sharing this just decided to meme, I appreciate you did that. people get too passionate about this stuff lol.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Same day EVO starts.

Conspiracy, I THINK NOT!
Wait...but Evo is in America. So for it to be August 3rd in America and Spain it would pretty much need to be August 4th in Japan thus a Saturday...do directs happen on Saturdays in Japan?

Personally I think it's more likely we will get August 2nd night in America...which would still be the night before Evo so good enough.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Wait...but Evo is in America. So for it to be August 3rd in America and Spain it would pretty much need to be August 4th in Japan thus a Saturday...do directs happen on Saturdays in Japan?

Personally I think it's more likely we will get August 2nd night in America...which would still be the night before Evo so good enough.
I semi expect an EVO reveal.

D

Deleted member

Oh no, it seems we chose Echo Fighter debates from the list of topics...
Take your pic:
  • Rex and Pyra vs. Elma
  • Echo Fighter debates
  • Pokémon Representation
  • Development Progress
  • "We need more info guys!"
  • Insert Forum Game here
  • "Is x character relevant?"
  • "I like this character." "I do not like this character." "Then let us FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Sarasaland was weird.

They don't have Goombas and Koopa Troopas; they have Goombos and Bombshell Koopas.

Bombshell Koopas explode.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Interesting 4chan post. It’s not a leak though:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/425220541
Thisi s actually really believable. They've done a great job covering leaks this round. I wonder if they patrol here as well...most likely.

Well, for those Nintendo employees, please tell Mr. Sakurai that I am so happy with the "everyone is here" and I'm really excited for the game. Please give him my utmost thanks for a job well done.
And also suggest how awesome of a character Dovahkiin is:p
Man, we need new voice clips for most of the characters this time around. But with the recent footage of Zelda and Ganondorf I'm feeling confident that most of the brawl characters will get new ones

Peach needs an update on her voice asap. especially on her taunts.
All I hope is that Fox doesn't sound ridiculous anymore. I've heard people say he's got the same voice actor, but it's not cringey anymore. Still haven't heard him clearly in any videos yet though.
Man, I woke up to 92 alerts today. :surprised:

Geno and Shadow's connection was "Born in Space". Yes, it's super esoteric, but I had to have a hard one in there.
Dixie and Tails were actually "Platformer Sequel Partner Characters", but "Helicopters" works too. :laugh:

As for Captain America's reveals...
Dovakiin and Simon - Monster Killers
Spring Man and K. Rool - ...I... don't know. XD
Azura and Urbosa - ...Dance battlers?
Decidueye and Ashley - Shy characters?
Tails and Amaterasu - Canines

Flattery will get you everywhere. :bee:
:awesome:
Yeah, I was going for "Barbarian Warriors," "Boxers (DK64's final battle)," "Elemental Dancers," "Halloween (Ghosts and Witches)," and "Canines"

And this sounds like a fun task L Loz18-Echo with the Sakurai test, but I need to think about this one for a bit.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Sarasaland was weird.

They don't have Goombas and Koopa Troopas; they have Goombos and Bombshell Koopas.

Bombshell Koopas explode.
I recall reading that the Koopas in Land explode because sliding shells were causing difficulties. Clearly the issue was figured out before the sequel, at least.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I think the main reaons customs would get the axe is because of them being a balancing nightmare; not to mention some of them were straight up better and others were useless. Smash 4 DLC didn't get customs as well.
I wish they'd at least keep Megaman's customs. They were all really fun to use, especially Danger Wrap.

Danger Wrap is genuinely one of my favorite special moves in the series. I really love it.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Oh no, it seems we chose Echo Fighter debates from the list of topics...
alright fine, let's discuss echo fighters again

I prefer as many echo fighters and alt costumes as possible because we're honestly past a point where we need to be "prestigious" about who makes it in. If it's an original moveset? Sure, but if it's something easy to copy to appease fans, and there's at least a small base that wants it? I really don't see why not. It's way worse when you have a costume that kinda looks like those characters but isn't actually acknowledging it (Hi, Peach's Daisy alt, for the longest time)

At it's core, Smash is a marketing game anyways, so give me a Midbus echo fighter. Give me a Chrom echo or Celica/Alm. Gimme a Hilda echo or Alt (like Alph has for Olimar)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
alright fine, let's discuss echo fighters again

I prefer as many echo fighters and alt costumes as possible because we're honestly past a point where we need to be "prestigious" about who makes it in. If it's an original moveset? Sure, but if it's something easy to copy to appease fans, and there's at least a small base that wants it? I really don't see why not. It's way worse when you have a costume that kinda looks like those characters but isn't actually acknowledging it (Hi, Peach's Daisy alt, for the longest time)

At it's core, Smash is a marketing game anyways, so give me a Midbus echo fighter. Give me a Chrom echo or Celica/Alm. Gimme a Hilda echo or Alt (like Alph has for Olimar)
You know, talk about Dixie would be a lot smoother if her sister Tiny was in the running too, at least then one of the two would be guaranteed to be Luigified to some extent (both use their hair, but have different heights). But as it stands, most here are expecting her to be "girl Diddy", which undermines her important contributions to DKC, never mind how she controls in Tropical Freeze.

So really, I'd be okay with a Tiny semi-Echo! Just replace the bubblegum gun with feather crossbow and we'd be good to go on that.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Keep in mind that leaks with more obscure choices aren't automatically more credible than others.

If there was a leak back in April 2018 that showed us a convincing picture of Captain Syrup and Stanley the Bugman, would we consider it to be more credible than a similar leak that showed us a picture of Daisy and Ridley?
Depends, if the quality of the pics from Daisy and Ridley were awful and the others HD quality I would say that yes, they would been more credible.
But being credible doesn't means being real, this one of Meteos have a great quality, and it pick up a random character, which is more credible if it was a super blurry image of goku in smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom