• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Looks like this thread is becoming leak happy now, if you know what I mean. Aside from the Direct thing Smashoperatingbuddy posted, maybe, I wonder what else can be talked about?
Take your pic:
  • Rex and Pyra vs. Elma
  • Echo Fighter debates
  • Pokémon Representation
  • Development Progress
  • "We need more info guys!"
  • Insert Forum Game here
  • "Is x character relevant?"
  • "I like this character." "I do not like this character." "Then let us FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!!"
I'm sure I missed some.

Oh, it's old, alright. The only thing new about this are the newly created leaks created nearly every day about Smash 5.
That's not new either. I bring "leaks" here every day, and have been doing so since I started the Count.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
The fact that nothing is completely beliable gives me hope to be surprised xDU.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, look at Wolf's model.

It looks unfinished. Looks good in some areas, but you can tell that it still needs some work done. Especially around the jaw.

Other characters in early stages for the game could've been planned and treated as if they were playable, but then dropped due to various reasons. Time constraints, being too low of priority, etc. If they were dropped as playable during development and delegated into Assist Trophies, it makes sense that their models wouldn't be up to par with most of the current cast. I say most because, again, look at Wolf.

Think of it as a literal progress bar. Characters being developed at different priorities progress through their progress bar faster. If some characters had their progress bar paused/stopped, then their models would make sense.
To be fair, that screenshot looks more like an animation error, than a rigging error.

Well looks like it's confirmed it's 3 pre-determined set of moves for each of the 3 Mii Fighters.
I'm not too sure if that's enough information to rule out custom special moves, since it's always possible that the pre-determined special moves may receive custom variations with different properties.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Take your pic:
  • Rex and Pyra vs. Elma
  • Echo Fighter debates
  • Pokémon Representation
  • Development Progress
  • "We need more info guys!"
  • Insert Forum Game here
I'm sure I missed some.

That's not new either. I bring "leaks" here every day, and have been doing so since I started the Count.
let me add some
  • Some weird Third-Party character
  • Flavor of the Week character
  • A character brought up purely for some arbitrary reason than anything towards actually being interesting
  • "I hope Pokefloats returns"
  • "More villains!!!"
  • The Same Six Characters Ad Nausem

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Forum games aren't even entertaining when it's just the same 3 people replying over and over again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was interpreting the Geolyte thing not as a Newcomer but a new foe for Multi-Man Smash.

64=Polygons
Melee=Wireframes
Brawl=Alloys
Sm4sh=Miis

if that was the case, it would be a maybe. if it's being shown as a newcomer, yeah that's bogus.
Did Sakurai have any involvement with Meteos at all? At least one Subspace Enemy seemed similar to the Geolytes.

You don't know of the DK Cartoon? Allow me to enlighten you.

It also has the greatest DK character of all time: Leo Luster.
The humor in it is also priceless, at times.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Meteos was designed by Sakurai was it not?

I can only imagine if content from it got in as playable. BIAS THEY'LL SCREAM.

BIASSSSSS! ~~

StormC

Smash Hero
let me add some
  • A character brought up purely for some arbitrary reason than anything towards actually being interesting
  • "More villains!!!"
K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Ashley, Dixie, and Simon Belmont? :p

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Another one:

I didn’t know this series or characters existed until right now so hey if it’s not real at least I learned something new cause there was effort put behind this one

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
let me add some
  • "More villains!!!"
Then there's me occasionally livening things up with Monty Python clips.

He designed it.
Ah, fair enough then, confirmed my suspicions.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah, even though it's probably fake.

The Meteos leak is more effort than A LOT of leakers have put out there.

I do LOVE the idea of the leak though. That's the type of **** I like Sakurai doing. Unexpected characters that make you go ''Huh." in a good way.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
let me add some
  • "More villains!!!"
How about this one, if it still applies: People moaning about Waluigi being an assist?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So August 3rd is a Friday...in Spain. It could be late August 2nd, a Thursday, in America and thus like...2-3 am August 3rd in Spain and early Friday morning in Japan....

I only say this because there was a thing about all the directs being on Thursdays (in America) so far. So this would fit.

Any of our European friends here able to attest to early morning (1-4 am) directs? Does that happen?

Another one:

Sakurai created meteos right?...this could be interesting.

Yay for unique fake leak though!

KMDP

Smash Legend
So August 3rd is a Friday...in Spain. It could be late August 2nd, a Thursday, in America and thus like...2-3 am August 3rd in Spain and early Friday morning in Japan....

I only say this because there was a thing about all the directs being on Thursdays (in America) so far. So this would fit.

Any of our European friends here able to attest to early morning (1-4 am) directs? Does that happen?

Sakurai created meteos right?...this could be interesting.

Yay for unique fake leak though!
I do seem to remember some ridiculously early/late Directs (11PM-3AM) during the lead up to Smash 4. Could be wrong, though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So I've seen the counterarguements in my post for custom moves, and I can see where you're all coming from.
But one thing has crossed my mind: if we're able to bring our old amiibo FPs over from Wii U/3DS, then they would have to recall their customs and stats. Otherwise, players would need to overwrite the memories of the amiibos in order to start anew. Has anybody else thought about that one yet?
The worst case scenario would be that you'd have to erase your amiibo's Smash 3DS / Wii U data before you can use it in Smash Ultimate.

However, because players are able to customize their amiibo fighter by feeding it equipment and/or changing its special moves, it would be very strange to not have the fighter customization feature return.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
ANOTHER THING: I know animations on some characters and models look a bit, unpolished, to put it kindly but... that's kinda typical in 1. a game with so many animations 2. animataions are typically done later - Any footage for characters we haven't seen in action yet is under the basis of 'we have absolutely no idea when this footage was taken.' all we know is that it was somewhere in 2016 at earliest.

How about this one, if it still applies: People moaning about Waluigi being an assist?
thank god this thread doesn't have that much, if at all. It's like, yes, I get it, Waluigi's a popular mario character and... the cutting room floor had to be made somewhere. If we started including every single character of some value, you'd have a roster with 8 Kirby characters, at least 3 F-Zero characters, and probably more Fire Emblem lords than anyone wishes for.

So, I feel like saying this now but: Even if your favorite character doesn't get in, chances are they were considered, but the veterans held a priority.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Today’s update (in Japan through Twitter atleast) is about the Great Tower of Plateau

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
For those of you pondering the August 3rd thing, one bit that helps it's case is on the 3rd will also be the first day of EVO, and Nintendo has been backing them for around 2 years now along with bring the Ultimate Demo to the show.

So it's a fair chance of being real.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
At least we got Ridley out of the way, or he'd be on that list too.
oh... oh god.
this would just be a perpetual debate of K. Rool and Ridley and people would be arguing apples and oranges and I'd have to explain how programming works and just imagining that is suffering

I already hate explaining programming every time someone brings up Porky

You used "Geno in" and "Dixie [...] echo fighter" in the same sentence. Time to watch the world burn again.
I can't believe Geno is going to be an Echo Fighter of Dixie.

Discuss.

Today’s update (in Japan through Twitter atleast) is about the Great Tower of Plateau
I love that stage. I hope the top part doesn't damage but even if it does, it looks better than half of the new Smash Wii U stages, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom