• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
*puts on tinfoil hat* A tiny, miniscule part of me just hopes that Sakurai and IS realizes how popular Lyn is, rescues her from AT limbo, and makes her a newcomer for this game via DLC *camera zooms out to see my straightjacket*... What?
normally i was just gonna ignore this post but I'm actually going to point this out: I highly doubt any characters will be rescued from AT status unless there was a 1:1 replacement for them.

So, for example, if Isaac makes it as an assist he's probably doomed, but I could see them like, using Matthew as his assist or something while he's playable, but Andross or Krystal? lol rip.

(Still a long shot. Just assume, if AT, don't get your hopes up)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
normally i was just gonna ignore this post but I'm actually going to point this out: I highly doubt any characters will be rescued from AT status unless there was a 1:1 replacement for them.

So, for example, if Isaac makes it as an assist he's probably doomed, but I could see them like, using Matthew as his assist or something while he's playable, but Andross or Krystal? lol rip.

(Still a long shot. Just assume, if AT, don't get your hopes up)
Little Mac didn't get a replacement. Punch-Out has no ATs to this day because of that

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Little Mac didn't get a replacement. Punch-Out has no ATs to this day because of that
okay yeah but that's a little bit different than what I'm saying

I'm saying if they show up as an assist trophy in Ultimate, we should assume, for safekeeping, that we probably won't be seeing them playable as DLC.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The "K" stands for kinky.
I mean if you say King K. Rool fast enough, it kinda dissolves into Kinky Rool.

It was right in front of our noses the whole time.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean if you say King K. Rool fast enough, it kinda dissolves into Kinky Rool.

It was right in front of our noses the whole time.

New Kong for the DK64 sequel: Kinky Kong.

Don't ask what their special powers are.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Heh, I saw people rating Monster Hunter today.

What if Monster Hunter ends up being a DLC character? Would you buy him/her? Would you be excited?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

What if Monster Hunter ends up being a DLC character? Would you buy him/her? Would you be excited?
Neat! I'd buy them, as I would w/ probably any DLC character unless there was some reason. I don't think it'd particularly excite me though; maybe move me a bit of the moveset looked like my jam.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Buy them? Maybe. Be excited? No, unless they looked really good.

I tried Monster Hunter and it didn't click with me.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Ya know im always so focused on playable characters i forget about assist trophys id actually be happy with and punch out characters would be amazing, id probly be happy with any of em' king hippo, bald bull, and glass joe are probably the most likely cause of how memorable they are...

glass joe being K.O.'d with any spec of damage would make him a unique assist trophy and could take advantage of the new "assist trophies can count for K.O.'s" mechanic. i like this. i am now guessing this will be a thing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Considering I gave it a Want rating of 100%?
And also wrote an entire paragraph about how cash money they would be?
Yes.
All my money. All my excitement.
I'd link it, but it's easy enough to find.
Just check this out and tell me this isn't the coolest:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
The actual order goes Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic.

This image has Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Sonic.
Good catch. Not trying to defend it but what if Lucas was replaced so Diddy can be next to Dixie?

This is the same director who okayed putting Yoshi in between the Mario reps.

sorry ssb4's css still irks me lmao

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I wonder when will they drop another disconfirmation bomb lol.

We already lost Bomberman, Waluigi, Krystal and others.
uh... if we go by Smash 4, probably sometime closer to release. I'd say October as a safe bet Smash 3ds came out on September 13th in Japan and April was our last huge deconfirmation wave.

Another thing to keep in mind is there's a good chance a lot of characters end up MIA from that, so for every big dis confirmation, we'll probably get a ton of things that nobody expected to be playable characters anyways (Color Game TV 15)

Welp, sorry guys, K.Rool is too inappropriate for the age rating and can't be toned down. In the mean time Saber from a hentai game got confirmed as a newcomer
only if she's the 69th character

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ya know im always so focused on playable characters i forget about assist trophys id actually be happy with and punch out characters would be amazing, id probly be happy with any of em' king hippo, bald bull, and glass joe are probably the most likely cause of how memorable they are...

glass joe being K.O.'d with any spec of damage would make him a unique assist trophy and could take advantage of the new "assist trophies can count for K.O.'s" mechanic. i like this. i am now guessing this will be a thing.
Glass Joe being an AT specifically for KO fodder. Brilliant!!!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
If K. Rool gets revealed, who is going to be the character the speculation community shifts focus to obsessing over?

Isaac? Banjo?
Well, whoever's next in line concerning popularity, the fans will be stagnating from ignoring them in the same vein that I stagnate from completing Wind Waker (2 files, just prior to Ganon. Please just hit me with a light arrow and be done with it).
Judging by the Source Gaming poll, I'd say either Bandana Dee, Shovel Knight, or... heck, let me just link the list for your viewballs.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I'd love that! Monster Hunter is one of my favorite series and I think the character would be great to play in a Smash setting (especially if they take advantage of their more unique weaponry), so I'd gladly buy them if they were DLC.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I wonder when will they drop another disconfirmation bomb lol.

We already lost Bomberman, Waluigi, Krystal and others.
It'll likely be one of the ATs that are still MIA that have shot up in speculation because of that.

i.e. Isabelle, Dark Samus, Ashley, Shadow, or even Chrom if Robin's Final Smash gets shown off.

StormC

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee AT would be one of the biggest blows to Smash speculation community.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well, whoever's next in line concerning popularity, the fans will be stagnating from ignoring them in the same vein that I stagnate from completing Wind Waker (2 files, just prior to Ganon. Please just hit me with a light arrow and be done with it).
Judging by the Source Gaming poll, I'd say either Bandana Dee, Shovel Knight, or... heck, let me just link the list for your viewballs.
I don't think Shovel Knight is nearly as popular as he was back when that poll was taken. In fact, I would say that Shovel Knight is the epitome of a bandwagon character. Like, nearly everyone wanted him during the days of Sm4sh DLC, but now? I hear a lot more about Shantae and even Reimu in terms of fan support. Why do you guys think that is?

I think after K. Rool fans would start going crazy about Geno. He has the next largest/oldest fanbase. After that, maybe it would actually be Isaac, or a third party.

StormC

Smash Hero
A bigger blow than no Bandana Dee at all?
The difference is that

1) Hope would still be alive for DLC.
2) Revealing a Bandana Dee AT before the game is even out would cripple Smash speculation in a lot of ways because it would fundamentally change a lot of people's perspectives on what is a "sure thing."

osby

Smash Obsessed
The difference is that

1) Hope would still be alive for DLC.
2) Revealing a Bandana Dee AT before the game is even out would cripple Smash speculation in a lot of ways because it would fundamentally change a lot of people's perspectives on what is a "sure thing."
Got it.

Personally, I hope characters are disconfirmed fast. Or DLC period for this game might be worse than last one- if such thing is possible.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't think Shovel Knight is nearly as popular as he was back when that poll was taken. In fact, I would say that Shovel Knight is the epitome of a bandwagon character. Like, nearly everyone wanted him during the days of Sm4sh DLC, but now? I hear a lot more about Shantae and even Reimu in terms of fan support. Why do you guys think that is?

I think after K. Rool fans would start going crazy about Geno. He has the next largest/oldest fanbase. After that, maybe it would actually be Isaac, or a third party.
Shovel Knight had a huge amount of hype around the time of the Smash Ballot. But now that the hype has died down, it's revealed to be something of a fad... just like Yokai Watch...

I think it was super popular at that time for many reasons.

1) Shovel Knight was a genuinely good game.
2) Shovel Knight had backing from some well known people (i.e. Game Grumps, Gamexplain, etc)
3) Shovel Knight had recency on it's side.
4) Good ol' Bandwagoning.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

personally id love to get shovel knight.

but i completely agree i hear nothing about him anymore its actually shocking how little i hear about him even after its looking more and more likely the ballot will be where a lot of the newcomer choices will likely come from and it was like him and k rool constantly talked about as the ballot front runners back then.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Shovel Knight had a huge amount of hype around the time of the Smash Ballot. But now that the hype has died down, it's revealed to be something of a fad... just like Yokai Watch...

I think it was super popular at that time for many reasons.

1) Shovel Knight was a genuinely good game.
2) Shovel Knight had backing from some well known people (i.e. Game Grumps, Gamexplain, etc)
3) Shovel Knight had recency on it's side.
4) Good ol' Bandwagoning.
Well, I've never played Shovel Knight, so I wouldn't really have much say in this. I think he would be pretty likely as an Assist Trophy though (bonus points if they use his sprite instead of a model like the Infantry and Excitebikers). It'd mean another uproar, sure, but it'd be a big step for Nindies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am of the Indie opinion that the most deserving by far to be an indie in Smash is either Reimu from Touhou or Quote from Cave Story. Both are classic examples of the indie success. Both are made by one person, with nothing but time, effort, and love.

Plus they can do cool stuff.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I am of the Indie opinion that the most deserving by far to be an indie in Smash is either Reimu from Touhou or Quote from Cave Story. Both are classic examples of the indie success. Both are made by one person, with nothing but time, effort, and love.

Plus they can do cool stuff.
Interestingly, that exact statement you just said could be applied to an Undertale character.

Not that I support or think an Undertale character will get into the game, it's just something interesting to point out.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
oh boy, I feel you. Here's my current progress with each Zelda title:
Wind Waker HD: Wind Temple
Skyward Sword: Some lava filled Lanayru dungeon
Majora's Mask 3D: Woodfall Temple
A Link to the Past: The very beginning
Twilight Princess: Forest Temple
..and the real kickers
Breath of the Wild: Waiting for motivation to continue searching for the remaining few shrines before raiding Hyrule Castle & the final boss
OoT 3D: Outside of Ganon's Castle, waiting to do get the motivation to sidequests before fighting the final boss
Minish Cap: Hyrule Castle, in the room before the final boss. I still haven't attempted it
How have I bought so many Zelda games yet only finished A Link Between Worlds? It's so shameful.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think Shovel Knight is nearly as popular as he was back when that poll was taken. In fact, I would say that Shovel Knight is the epitome of a bandwagon character. Like, nearly everyone wanted him during the days of Sm4sh DLC, but now?
I think Shovel Knight support will kick up steam when we learn more about King of Cards and the amiibo 3-pack (and who knows what else) slated for later this year still, I think?

I still support Shovel Knight and it’s a shame he barely shows up in speculation anymore... though where he does still show up is in, like, every indie crossover ever lol.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Interestingly, that exact statement you just said could be applied to an Undertale character.

Not that I support or think an Undertale character will get into the game, it's just something interesting to point out.
Sure, but I'm having trouble actually seeing exactly what its impact on videogame history is right now since it's still relatively recent and people are still forming their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom