• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I like how you defend your opinion thoroughly. So I will say my own opinion. Isabelle is an assist trophy already. I get your opinion, but I think Isabelle is fine as an assist trophy. I would like to see a move set of her, because is she going to be a Villager clone or something? If she does make it into Smash brothers, I will not complain and actually be pretty impressed they gave Isabelle a move set. And Badge Arcade is dead and nobody really cared for it, that is why Badge Bunny should not make it into smash. That is why Taklamakan did not make it into Smash, not enough fan support and detail. I highly doubt Badge Bunny will make it into Smash because I do not see him recognized at all. One thing is Isabelle does have a lot of fan support unlike Badge Bunny.
Entrance: Isabelle pops out of a house similar to Villager's entrance.

Jab: Isabelle whistles and a musical note pops out in front of her. Pressing A again lets out another note that pops out above the first one, and pressing it again pops out a note that's lower than the first one. Similar to Villagers jab this attack is just the three notes that loop in that order and can be stopped anytime.
Ftilt: Pops a party popper. Bit of a startup but good range.
Utilt: Aggravation emotion
but with 3 "steam" effects that pop out in a wide rage. The steam effects cover a wide hitbox above her.
Dtilt: Roman candle. Good range and multihit.
Dash: Isabelle trips, flailing her arms out in front of her a few times, before falling right on her face. the arm flailing is very short range but does multiple hits before the faceplant knocks the opponent away.

Fsmash: Topiary. Isabelle pulls back down before punching her arm into the air as a topiary pops out of the ground in front of her. Can be the round, square, or tulip topiary but they all function exactly the same.
Usmash: Arch. Isabelle jumps happily as an arch builds around her, completing at the middle. Can be the balloon, flower, or illumated arch or rarely the Wisteria Trellis but like Fsmash they're all the same. Sweetspot is right above Isabelle where the arch comes together but the sourspots on either side of her aren't that weak either.
Dsmash: Clock. A flower/illuminated clock pops out of the ground with both hands pointing to 12 (which is the current direction Isabelle is facing). The minute hand spins quickly forward an hour as Isabelle spins with it from the centre, knocking opponents away. Hits in front twice but behind only once.

Nair: Joy emotion
. As Isabelle does one full rotation with her body like Villager's nair, 5 flowers shoot out consecutively from her head, each in a different direction. If Isabelle is facing left, the flowers pop out at top left, bottom right, straight up, bottom left, top right (imagine it forming a sort of pentagram if you connect where the flowers pop out of).
Fair: Swings the Toy Hammer forwards twice.
Bair: Disbelief emotion
. Isabelle looks back with a shocked expression as the shocked effect pops up causing damage. Quick, short range, and a good bair kill move.
Uair: Love emotion
. Isabelle puts her hands together to her chest as a hear appears over her head. Heart disappears if it hits an opponent.
Dair: Heatbreak emotion
. Isabelle turns upside down and does the same animation as uair but as the heart breaks she looks shocked then sad. Spikes the exact moment the heart breaks, if it hits something before or after that it does weak knockback and disappears.

Grab: the fence from the construction space before the Public Work Project is complete pops up in front of Isabelle. If Isabelle grabs someone with this attack she starts to do the Distress emotion

Pummel: The star of the Mistaken emotion
falls on Isabelles head, which bounces off into hitting the opponent.
Fthrow: Lloid, complete with the hard hat, pops out of the ground, grabs the opponent, and throws them forward.
Bthrow: Same as fthrow but throws backwards.
Uthrow: Creates a geyser underneath the opponent that shoots them up in a blast of water. Alright kill throw.
Dthrow: Constructs the caution sign in front of the opponent, which them immediately falls down on top of them, hitting them away.

B: Airplane. Isabelle holds a paper airplane in her hand and reels back to throw it. The airplane can be aimed before thrown by holding B and flies in a wide arc.
Side B: Bubble wand. Isabelle takes out a bubble wand and blows a single bubble that floats out a bit in front of her before slowly floating upwards. Essentially a floating landmine that pops as soon as an opponent touches it. Only 1 bubble at a time.
Up B: Pinwheel. Functions like the propeller heads from the Mario series. Isabelle holds the pinwheel above her as it shoots her quickly upwards before letting her glide down slowly. Using it on the ground shoots out a weak windbox either side.
Down B: Resetti Manhole: Landmine trap. If an opponent steps on the manhole Resetti pops out looking furious before going back under as the manhole disappears.

Final Smash idea 1: Train Station. Isabelle strikes a pose as the train station pops up behind her. Isabelle jumps back to the entrance of the station, points whichever way she was facing, and a train comes from the screen edge the opposite way she was facing, all the way to the screen edge the other side, doing heavy damage to anyone in the way. Since this FS doesn't freeze frame, opponents are able to quickly move away from the trains path.
Final Smash idea 2: Perfect Town. In a bid to make the current stage the Perfect Town status, Isabelle plants flowers across the entire stage, halfing the walk and run speed of all opponents.

Taunt 1: Isabelle falls asleep where she's standing, then quickly wakes up.
Taunt 2: She twirls then strikes a cute pose.
Taunt 3: She brings out a clipboard and looks at it pensively.
A moveset that I made like aaaages ago. It's a little unrefined but it gets the point across. I liked the idea of the AC emotions being used throughout her moveset but they can pretty much all be replaced by the other unused PWPs, glow wands, toy hammer, sparkler, tweeter, or miscellaneous office supplies like a clipboard.
I'll agree that Badge Bunny is highly unlikely, but like it's been said he could get in as the WTF character thanks to his exposure.

So, Luminario. What do you think of my predictions?
Hit and miss. There's a few characters I don't care for but most of them do make sense. I'm pretty sure we discussed the idea of keeping Felyne as the Monster Hunter rep back on the old roster thread.

D

Deleted member

Jab: Isabelle whistles and a musical note pops out in front of her. Pressing A again lets out another note that pops out above the first one, and pressing it again pops out a note that's lower than the first one. Similar to Villagers jab this attack is just the three notes that loop in that order and can be stopped anytime.
but with 3 "steam" effects that pop out in a wide rage. The steam effects cover a wide hitbox above her.
Dash: Isabelle trips, flailing her arms out in front of her a few times, before falling right on her face. the arm flailing is very short range but does multiple hits before the faceplant knocks the opponent away.

Fsmash: Topiary. Isabelle pulls back down before punching her arm into the air as a topiary pops out of the ground in front of her. Can be the round, square, or tulip topiary but they all function exactly the same.
Usmash: Arch. Isabelle jumps happily as an arch builds around her, completing at the middle. Can be the balloon, flower, or illumated arch or rarely the Wisteria Trellis but like Fsmash they're all the same. Sweetspot is right above Isabelle where the arch comes together but the sourspots on either side of her aren't that weak either.
Dsmash: Clock. A flower/illuminated clock pops out of the ground with both hands pointing to 12 (which is the current direction Isabelle is facing). The minute hand spins quickly forward an hour as Isabelle spins with it from the centre, knocking opponents away. Hits in front twice but behind only once.

. As Isabelle does one full rotation with her body like Villager's nair, 5 flowers shoot out consecutively from her head, each in a different direction. If Isabelle is facing left, the flowers pop out at top left, bottom right, straight up, bottom left, top right (imagine it forming a sort of pentagram if you connect where the flowers pop out of).
. Isabelle looks back with a shocked expression as the shocked effect pops up causing damage. Quick, short range, and a good bair kill move.
. Isabelle puts her hands together to her chest as a hear appears over her head. Heart disappears if it hits an opponent.
. Isabelle turns upside down and does the same animation as uair but as the heart breaks she looks shocked then sad. Spikes the exact moment the heart breaks, if it hits something before or after that it does weak knockback and disappears.

Grab: the fence from the construction space before the Public Work Project is complete pops up in front of Isabelle. If Isabelle grabs someone with this attack she starts to do the Distress emotion

Fthrow: Lloid, complete with the hard hat, pops out of the ground, grabs the opponent, and throws them forward.
Uthrow: Creates a geyser underneath the opponent that shoots them up in a blast of water. Alright kill throw.
Dthrow: Constructs the caution sign in front of the opponent, which them immediately falls down on top of them, hitting them away.

B: Airplane. Isabelle holds a paper airplane in her hand and reels back to throw it. The airplane can be aimed before thrown by holding B and flies in a wide arc.
Side B: Bubble wand. Isabelle takes out a bubble wand and blows a single bubble that floats out a bit in front of her before slowly floating upwards. Essentially a floating landmine that pops as soon as an opponent touches it. Only 1 bubble at a time.
Up B: Pinwheel. Functions like the propeller heads from the Mario series. Isabelle holds the pinwheel above her as it shoots her quickly upwards before letting her glide down slowly. Using it on the ground shoots out a weak windbox either side.
Down B: Resetti Manhole: Landmine trap. If an opponent steps on the manhole Resetti pops out looking furious before going back under as the manhole disappears.

Final Smash idea 1: Train Station. Isabelle strikes a pose as the train station pops up behind her. Isabelle jumps back to the entrance of the station, points whichever way she was facing, and a train comes from the screen edge the opposite way she was facing, all the way to the screen edge the other side, doing heavy damage to anyone in the way. Since this FS doesn't freeze frame, opponents are able to quickly move away from the trains path.
Final Smash idea 2: Perfect Town. In a bid to make the current stage the Perfect Town status, Isabelle plants flowers across the entire stage, halfing the walk and run speed of all opponents.

A moveset that I made like aaaages ago. It's a little unrefined but it gets the point across. I liked the idea of the AC emotions being used throughout her moveset but they can pretty much all be replaced by the other unused PWPs, glow wands, toy hammer, sparkler, tweeter, or miscellaneous office supplies like a clipboard.
I'll agree that Badge Bunny is highly unlikely, but like it's been said he could get in as the WTF character thanks to his exposure.

Hit and miss. There's a few characters I don't care for but most of them do make sense. I'm pretty sure we discussed the idea of keeping Felyne as the Monster Hunter rep back on the old roster thread.
This is actually a really good move set! Well done, it fits Isabelle very well! I personally think Badge Bunny would be very strange character in Smash that would surprise everyone, but at the same time very weird and bizarre. I personally do not want Badge Bunny in smash, Isabelle maybe.

Did Mr. Game&Watch, R.O.B, or Wii Fit Trainer have a large amount of fan support? No. Sakurai choose them, and made them into something because he saw potential. I think that can be said for a lot of single franchise representatives. The Arcade Bunny may not be recognizable to the level of Mario or Link, but enough people know who he is, and the potential for a moveset is definitely there. I’m not saying he’ll make it in. I agree, his chances are unlikely. I just think he’d make the perfect “WTF” addition for the next Smash Bros.
I think Game and Watch, Rob and Wii Fit trainer actually are like able because of how bizarre some of them are. Badge Bunny would be "eh".

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Do not double post and edit you post instead.

I love Isabelle’s moveset! That’s amazing. I never thought about all the different emotions before. I’ll post my movesets for new characters soon. They just take so long to make, and I need to do research.

This is actually a really good move set! Well done, it fits Isabelle very well! I personally think Badge Bunny would be very strange character in Smash that would surprise everyone, but at the same time very weird and bizarre. I personally do not want Badge Bunny in smash, Isabelle maybe.

I think Game and Watch, Rob and Wii Fit trainer actually are like able because of how bizarre some of them are. Badge Bunny would be "eh".
Though you don’t want him, I’m glad you see the potential in the Arcade Bunny.

Who would you choose? I’m genuinely curious. :)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Isabelle is definitely a character I think people are going to underestimate when it comes to potential Smash characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
*sigh* Yeah guess even a Animal Crossing new character seems more likely than a newcomer form say, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, F-Zero, Wario or Yoshi's Island at this point.

Times have surely changed a lot.

D

Deleted member

Since I don't think it was addressed here...

Trailer for next year's Pokémon movie will be on Monday.

Pretty obvious [SPOILERS] is going to be in it. Maybe even a Gen. 8 Pokémon.

So that'll change up who to look for in Smash.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
People are dissing my Isabelle again?

Though I agree that she's a likely character who's an underdog due to those underestimating her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since I don't think it was addressed here...

Trailer for next year's Pokémon movie will be on Monday.

Pretty obvious [SPOILERS] is going to be in it. Maybe even a Gen. 8 Pokémon.

So that'll change up who to look for in Smash.
There's also the unreleased Pokemon to keep in mind, as Zeraora has not officially been revealed to the public yet.

D

Deleted member

There's also the unreleased Pokemon to keep in mind, as Zeraora has not officially been revealed to the public yet.
Who do you think I'm referring to when I say "Pretty obvious [SPOILERS] is going to be in it"? :p

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I just watched the last Pokemon movie.

I honestly don't know if it affects Incineroar's chances.

It didn't do that much.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Who do you think I'm referring to when I say "Pretty obvious [SPOILERS] is going to be in it"? :p
We can't exactly assume what the next major Pokemon is going to be in the next movie. For all we know, we may just get a silhouette that can't be identified, and nothing more.

D

Deleted member

We can't exactly assume what the next major Pokemon is going to be in the next movie. For all we know, we may just get a silhouette that can't be identified, and nothing more.
Actually, we can.
Ever since Hoenn, when we started getting more than one Mythical Pokémon per Generation, each movie features at least one of the Mythicals, with only Meloetta being left out due to having its own arc in the BW anime. And Phione, though Phione's status as a Mythical is debatable with even official sources conflicting on the issue.

Gen 3
6th Movie: Jirachi
7th Movie: Deoxys
8th Movie: Mew; Lucario was the prime focus and Mew is an older Mythical that already had a movie role, but it's still a Mythical Pokémon that had a major role here.
9th Movie: Manaphy (early promotion for Sinnoh; good thing, since Sinnoh added four of them)

Gen 4
10th Movie: Darkrai
11th Movie: Shaymin
12th Movie: Arceus
13th Movie: Celebi; Just like with the 8th Movie, Zoroark and Zorua as the main focus and Celebi is an older Mythical that already had a movie role, but it is still a Mythical Pokémon that had a major role here.

Gen 5
14th Movie(s): Victini
15th Movie: Keldeo
16th Movie: Genesect

Gen 6
17th Movie: Diancie
18th Movie: Hoopa (technically Arceus too, but Arceus was merely a Deus Ex Machina)
19th Movie: Volcanion AND Magearna; a two-fer with one being early promotion for Alola

Gen 7
20th Movie: Marshadow
21st Movie: ???

Do you really want to argue against [SPOILERS] being featured in the upcoming film?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Its too soon for a gen 8.
Not at all. They're already working on Gen VIII for the Switch, and some Pokémon debuted in the movies long before their games came out, like Donphan and Munchlax.

D

Deleted member

I personally think they should make a Pokemon movie about Ash finding his father. That would be pretty interesting, and his father has a strong legendary Pokemon ( Mega Rayquaza ).
So Zeraora is going to be the next movie mascot? Makes sense, it is the next big mythical Pokemon revealed that is new. I personally want to see it fight, electric fists for the win.

Luminario

Smash Lord

It didn't do that much.
Wasn't it owned by a throwaway antagonist or something? Looking at the plot on Wikipedia it doesn't really seem like that notable of a role. What you wanna be focusing on is the concept art that shows Litten potentially evolving in the anime.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wasn't it owned by a throwaway antagonist or something? Looking at the plot on Wikipedia it doesn't really seem like that notable of a role. What you wanna be focusing on is the concept art that shows Litten potentially evolving in the anime.
Hardly a throwaway. It was a full rival for Charmander's line, mainly due to the Incineroar's own trainer abandoning Charmander. This has a lot of development for both Ash and Charmander overall.

It's not just some random fight that barely does much, but actually fuels development. The problem with the movie is that few Pokemon stand out as severely major. Lycanroc is more of a throwaway in comparison with very rushed development and just being a notable partner for Ash's main rival. Marshadow is easily the bigger star, but it's mostly in the background and doesn't have a severely long fight sequence. It still focuses too much on various other Pokemon. It's an issue with the movie in general, as it spreads out the focus everywhere among tons of other characters.

Among them, Incineroar, Ho-Oh, Charizard/Charmeleon, and Marshadow all have fairly notable roles. Overall, Incineroar and Marshadow are the only non-playables(or potential fighters) among the movie to look at, and they both are legitimately notable enough. Neither really outshines the other overall due to the mixed focus. Lycanroc is there too, but is behind them with very little focus.

D

Deleted member

It didn't do that much.
Unless you're Ash or Pikachu, you "didn't do that much" in the film.
Unlike the other films which put the prime focus on one or two of the Pokémon, the focus was put on Ash and Pikachu and their bond. Even the main plot of the Rainbow Wing and Ho-Oh is meant to capitalize on their bond.

That being said, Incineroar played a larger role than you realize.
Cross is the primary source of antagonism in the film, representing a direct counter to Ash.
Whereas Ash values true companionship with his team and is pure of heart, Cross values solely on how strong a Pokémon is and is impure of heart.
Incineroar is his main battling Pokémon (notice how Lycanroc is never shown fighting until controlled by Marshadow in the climax?) and causes Ash to go through Character Development even after it's no longer on-screen.

Ash's loss against Cross and Incineroar shook him, filling his own heart with impurities as HE starts to become more like Cross in mindset, putting a strain on his and Pikachu's bond. At least until Marshadow intervened and gave him the nightmare that set him back on the right path and making him learn from the loss.
With the next time Ash encounters Cross and Incineroar, he is able to triumph to show what he had learned and that his ideals are right and Cross' are wrong (a lesson Cross didn't learn until he tried to force his way afterward and got an out of control Marshadow for his troubles).

Not only that, but Incineroar provides a direct rivalry with Charmeleon/Charizard, who after Ash and Pikachu, had the most significant development arc.
Basically, Incineroar represented Ash's (And Charmeleon's/Charizard's) biggest roadblock to overcome.

It's not like Lucario, who was literally only there for marketing purposes because it's Lucario and had absolutely no bearing on the plot whatsoever.

EDIT: Still, there's things to consider, even ignoring the true scope of the role it played.
a. Sakurai said that the team looks at which Pokémon are featured in current films for character ideas. Regardless of how you see its role, Incineroar is a Pokémon that is featured in the film. It's also featured prominently in merchandise and promotional material for the film, so it's not like it's seen as a throwaway.
b. Incineroar is one of only three NEW Pokémon that is featured in the film. The other two being Marshadow and Lycanroc Midnight.
c. Out of the three, only Incineroar and Marshadow make their debuts in said film. Lycanroc Midnight was already featured in the anime and has since been overshadowed by the new Lycanroc Dusk.
d. While Marshadow is the better of the two to represent the movie itself, that's ALL it does. Incineroar's the only one of the two to have a future in the series going forward, which is another aspect the Smash team looks at.

And that is how the movie helps it.
But this upcoming movie is going to shake things up, especially if a Gen. 8 Pokémon is featured.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I mean, Little Mac and Charizard used to be an Assist and a Poké Ball Pokémon, respectively.

Isabelle can have a moveset based around terraforming. She'd build Public Works Projects and enact ordinances to change the stage itself. Think like Pac-Man's hydrant but to a greater, more focused extent. Her normals can focus around more "cutesy" and accidental fighting. Her forward smash, for example, could involve her accidentally knocking over a giant stack of papers to hit the opponent. Other moves could use things like the Party Popper and other unrepresented aspects of Animal Crossing to fill out the rest of the set.

It's hard to give an exact reference example, but I could kind of see her as UMvC3's Rocket Raccoon and Phoenix Wright combined, in a sense. I definitely think she's likely to be added in Smash 5. Nintendo pushes her hard, and she's the face of Animal Crossing, more than Nook ever was.
Isabelle would be S tier in both gameplay and in cuteness. I drafted up some ideas for her specials which could include:
Use a megaphone that could work like FLUDD or in reverse as a vacuum attack
Use of fruits for self or Team healing
Use of the bubble wand to humorously trap her in a bubble
Enact Ordinance Works to boost her stats like Shulk
Create Town Projects which could work like Villagers down B
Hum a randomized town tune with each note dealing different types of damage

And some of her other attacks could include:
Dashing attack where she twirls on a run away office chair
Bowing for her smash attack which puts a bandaid on her head
Dropping papers for an f-tilt

And her Final Smash could consist of starting a fireworks festival in which the opponents get blown to smithereens. Or she drinks Super Coffee and gets huge stat boosts across the board.

Isabelle in Smash would be amazing in my opinion.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
These Isabelle ideas are amazing, I really want to see her in Smash now.
She could also use the fishing rod since the Villager didn't have it: getting other fighters tangled in the fishing line and being all clumsy and sorry about it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*sigh* Yeah guess even a Animal Crossing new character seems more likely than a newcomer form say, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, F-Zero, Wario or Yoshi's Island at this point.

Times have surely changed a lot.
Animal Crossing, one of Nintendo's major IPs, shouldn't have comparisons with F-Zero and Star Fox to begin with. Not to mention Yoshi's Island isn't what people think of when they think of the little green dino. Also, isn't Bandana Dee a fairly common request? He's a main stay character who's gotten quite a bit of popularity and promotions ever since Super Star Ultra had the guy's debut

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm not trying to argue against Zeraora. I'm merely saying that it's not the only new 7th generation Pokemon to keep note of; Necrozma and the Ultra Beasts could also be involved.
Isn't the Anime handling the UBs? There was no Meloetta movie in BW and the GS ball stuff was cut in Johto, so the movies don't usually handle stuff the show's doing. But I don't keep up with the anime that much, and the little I've seen only has Nihelago, so it could happen but I wouldn't bank on it

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not to completely get off the Pokemon tread, it is my favorite... but can please someone explain to me the significance of the voting for Xenoblade at the top of this thread? Is that a constantly changing poll, or is it from the origin of this topic back on 3 April 2017?

Regarding Zeraora, how significant is this topic regarding Pokemon in Smash? Even if a mythical Pokemon returns in the next movie, even if the anime plays a crucial role in the Pokemon characters chosen... how is a mythical Pokemon significant to the next Smash Pokemon? We have yet to get a mythic, and while this never means a character will not happen, it does tend to signify we cannot look at the precedent for the anime as any indicator regarding this specific type of character.

...not to mention, my money is still, still, on Kanto. As much as I want an Eevee, Meowth, Team Rocket/all teams, or Pokemon Trainer character (and of course, Squirtle...), and can create enlightened concepts for them (much less what Sakurai can do), I do think whatever happens with the Switch in the future will be the significant factor. That goes across franchises.

Nintendo has rebranded, folks. What fits that branding?
(I sure as hell hope a reworked Mario and Link). C'mon Cappy, so long F.L.U.D.D.
(But... I do mean a completely retooled Link and Mario. Too many characters from Smash 64 and Melee could do well with this, actually)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Animal Crossing, one of Nintendo's major IPs, shouldn't have comparisons with F-Zero and Star Fox to begin with. Not to mention Yoshi's Island isn't what people think of when they think of the little green dino. Also, isn't Bandana Dee a fairly common request? He's a main stay character who's gotten quite a bit of popularity and promotions ever since Super Star Ultra had the guy's debut
From all those franchises I mentoined, you only seem to think of Bandana Dee as a likely new addition.

This is exactly my point.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
From all those franchises I mentoined, you only seem to think of Bandana Dee as a likely new addition.

And that point is...what exactly? That a popular franchise may get a newcomer before other popular franchises and other unpopular franchises?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And that point is...what exactly? That a popular franchise may get a newcomer before other popular franchises and other unpopular franchises?
The point is that the very franchises that made up Smash in the first place are completely neglected even IF they are more popular as say; Donkey Kong Country AND The Legend of Zelda.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The point is that the very franchises that made up Smash in the first place are completely neglected even IF they are more popular as say; Donkey Kong Country AND The Legend of Zelda.
Animal Crossing is pretty much on par with DKC when it comes to popularity though.

And no one is saying Isabelle getting in would prevent a DKC or Zelda character from getting in. Hell, I think Animal Crossing, DKC, and Zelda are all getting newcomers in Smash 5. Just because people were talking about a series other than those two doesn't mean a pity party is needed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm gonna be going back and responding now, since I appear to be making my return to this board. Hello old friends!

Overall, regarding port versus no port, I'm tempted to say, only a port makes sense.
The previous games were "Smash for Wii U" and "Smash for 3ds." It seems to me the idea all along was to start rebranding Smash for consoles, and having a "Smash for Switch," next.

It really depends on what you consider a port to be. For me, even with a retooled Mario and Link, and every character from the previous games, it is a port. But as a port, it is a new game, and will likely be billed as an all new Smash. Is this different than the times in the past wherein Smash used assets from past games, but it was a new game? Does the game become a platform with constant Switch updates... is that a release?

At a certain point it doesnt matter if you call it a release or a port. It will be Smash for Switch, and it will have as many new ideas as Sakurai can muster. Will it be hindered by including Dark Pit? That's the only true question for me.

I can understand Cloud (though when it comes to Final Fantasy characters, he's going to be the first one that comes to mind for a lot of people, if not most of them), but with Bayonetta, both Platinum Games and Sega have close ties to Nintendo. Two of the three games in her franchise are exclusive to Nintendo systems, and she was popular enough among the Nintendo fanbase to do extremely well in Europe and North America for the Smash Ballot. She may not have the same history as the other third party characters, but there's still plenty of reasons to bring her back.
She may be making her new legacy. I still think she was in as a replacement for not getting Lara Croft, who would have made more sense to me (same sexuality, same constant gun firing, not the same concept, but akin to DH and Banjo Kazooie).

Yet... if we have her, I feel remiss to not have Professor Layton, Cooking Mama, Ace Attorney, of their titular series', or Max from Scribblenauts. Where do these guys get the love?

I've really been thinking that they're going to release a straight port for the Switch. But the longer it takes for us to hear about it, the more I start to think they're either creating a whole new game, or actually going to add something to a port.

I'd be surprised if they release a port after 2018, so I think if we don't hear about it within the next 6 months, it's going to be a new game releasing in 2019 or 2020.

Thoughts?
I dont know what the big games are next year. Bayonetta, Yoshi, and Kirby, are certainly not it. Fire Emblem is likely one of the big games (though to me, its about the same size as Splatoon, maybe Mario Kart Deluxe).
What games do we have out next year that will drive the kind of hype that Mario Odyssey and Zelda; Breath of the Wild, did this year?
Pokemon and Metroid can both do it. So can Smash. Can anything else? Maybe Donkey Kong?

I'm not sure, folks. But I do believe we need a system seller next year. The two aces up the sleeve are Smash and Pokemon. But I actually think that Pokemon is more likely. Hell, maybe both will come 2019, who knows. I just hope we get a game of the year next year.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'm not too sure on Zelda but that franchise got a lot of content in the last game other than characters. And I agree DK could use more variety. But you tried using F-Zero and I'm sorry, but F-Zero will NEVER be on the same level as goddamn Zelda. An issue with speculation on the Zelda franchise is that the only other main stay character left in the franchise is a very hit or miss one. (No, Impa doesn't count because her incarnations tend to be very different)

D

Deleted member

I found this fan art of Isabelle joining the Smash.
Source: https://gamebanana.com/skins/148856

Since the thread seems to want Isabelle in Smash, how do you feel about this fan art? I mean it looks kind of realistic. If Isabelle is in Smash, who would they replace the assist trophy with?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not too sure on Zelda but that franchise got a lot of content in the last game other than characters. And I agree DK could use more variety. But you tried using F-Zero and I'm sorry, but F-Zero will NEVER be on the same level as goddamn Zelda. An issue with speculation on the Zelda franchise is that the only other main stay character left in the franchise is a very hit or miss one. (No, Impa doesn't count because her incarnations tend to be very different)
Honestly I can't see Breath of the Wild passing by without it getting a character. It was way too big of a deal, especially since Zelda didn't get a newcomer in Smash 4. It's for that reason I think one of the Champions will get in, one-offs be damned.

Probably not Urbosa because lol swords and such, sadly, but the others could all be pretty unique. Mipha with her trident, Rivali with a full archery moveset (if the game comes out when Decidueye is past his prime), or Daruk who would be a super heavyweight (his sword is pretty much one in name only...it's closer to a club or hammer). Plus while the characters themselves likely won't be recurring, their races are ones that are incredibly recurring (the Rito less so, but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom