• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I found this fan art of Isabelle joining the Smash.
Source: https://gamebanana.com/skins/148856

Since the thread seems to want Isabelle in Smash, how do you feel about this fan art? I mean it looks kind of realistic. If Isabelle is in Smash, who would they replace the assist trophy with?
That's not fanart, but a mod to have her as a skin. Personally, I'm not an Animal Crossing fan though I wouldn't say no if Isabelle was a 'fighting clown' archetype, like Pheonix Wright in MvC
Honestly I can't see Breath of the Wild passing by without it getting a character. It was way too big of a deal, especially since Zelda didn't get a newcomer in Smash 4. It's for that reason I think one of the Champions will get in, one-offs be damned.

Probably not Urbosa because lol swords and such, sadly, but the others could all be pretty unique. Mipha with her trident, Rivali with a full archery moveset (if the game comes out when Decidueye is past his prime), or Daruk who would be a super heavyweight (his sword is pretty much one in name only...it's closer to a club or hammer). Plus while the characters themselves likely won't be recurring, their races are ones that are incredibly recurring (the Rito less so, but still).
I haven't played BotW but there are multiple champions which is why I'm hesitant to say if anyone is more likely than the other

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Why not add the four Botw Champions?
It is not totally Impossible for this to happen

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly I can't see Breath of the Wild passing by without it getting a character. It was way too big of a deal, especially since Zelda didn't get a newcomer in Smash 4. It's for that reason I think one of the Champions will get in, one-offs be damned.

Probably not Urbosa because lol swords and such, sadly, but the others could all be pretty unique. Mipha with her trident, Rivali with a full archery moveset (if the game comes out when Decidueye is past his prime), or Daruk who would be a super heavyweight (his sword is pretty much one in name only...it's closer to a club or hammer). Plus while the characters themselves likely won't be recurring, their races are ones that are incredibly recurring (the Rito less so, but still).

Eh..... I could see them adding all four champions, actually. I do think it would mean cutting other characters, though.
I honestly think we could see either Zelda OR Impa take on the role of a new moveset, wherein it honors the four champions. It works well for Zelda, retooled, but could work to make Impa a striking and different character (who differs enough from Sheik).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's not fanart, but a mod to have her as a skin. Personally, I'm not an Animal Crossing fan though I wouldn't say no if Isabelle was a 'fighting clown' archetype, like Pheonix Wright in MvC

I haven't played BotW but there are multiple champions which is why I'm hesitant to say if anyone is more likely than the other
It wouldn't be the first time a character with equal importance was snubbed for another. Chrom and Robin were both Awakening's main characters, and Delphox and Chesnaught were left out in the cold. I don't think there'd be an issue with having just one Champion.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It wouldn't be the first time a character with equal importance was snubbed for another. Chrom and Robin were both Awakening's main characters, and Delphox and Chesnaught were left out in the cold. I don't think there'd be an issue with having just one Champion.
Well, Chrom had a single person as competition and Greninja was only chosen because he looked cool in concept art, compare to the champion who are 4 characters and it's a tad different imo. But ah well!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Isn't the Anime handling the UBs? There was no Meloetta movie in BW and the GS ball stuff was cut in Johto, so the movies don't usually handle stuff the show's doing. But I don't keep up with the anime that much, and the little I've seen only has Nihelago, so it could happen but I wouldn't bank on it
So far, North America has yet to get to the Cosmog portion of the Alola saga, as yesterday was the final episode of the Alola saga's first season.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not too sure on Zelda but that franchise got a lot of content in the last game other than characters. And I agree DK could use more variety. But you tried using F-Zero and I'm sorry, but F-Zero will NEVER be on the same level as goddamn Zelda. An issue with speculation on the Zelda franchise is that the only other main stay character left in the franchise is a very hit or miss one. (No, Impa doesn't count because her incarnations tend to be very different)
Why people always put words in my mouth? I never said that. I just compared the narrative of earlier Smash game speculation and it's demands and wishes compared to now. There's not even TALK about say, a new Wario character, and any talk about a new Zelda character is forced. And yes, Impa is still the best choice no comparison.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Why people always put words in my mouth? I never said that. I just compared the narrative of earlier Smash game speculation and it's demands and wishes compared to now. There's not even TALK about say, a new Wario character, and any talk about a new Zelda character is forced. And yes, Impa is still the best choice no comparison.
Except you kinda did imply it by bringing up F-Zero. Nobody talks about a new Wario character because pretty much everyone agrees it should be Ashley, and how is Zelda discussion forced?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I love Smash speculation. I think we (Smashboarders) will get more active when a Smash Bros game gets announced.

Also, I am on a dilema. I participated on the pre-ssb4 era, and as a consequence I get tô know everything about the game before I played it
This time I really want to play the game and get surprised for EVERYTHING on it. The first time I played Melee it was SO MAGIC. I didn't know anything about It. I was so hyped for the characters that I never have seen before, the stages, itens. I really want this surprise feel. But It is pretty impossible on these days. So my dilema is: should I leave the internet and Smashboards for a while? Or should I stay and participate on the discussions and show support for my wanted characters?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I love Smash speculation. I think we (Smashboarders) will get more active when a Smash Bros game gets announced.

Also, I am on a dilema. I participated on the pre-ssb4 era, and as a consequence I get tô know everything about the game before I played it
This time I really want to play the game and get surprised for EVERYTHING on it. The first time I played Melee it was SO MAGIC. I didn't know anything about It. I was so hyped for the characters that I never have seen before, the stages, itens. I really want this surprise feel. But It is pretty impossible on these days. So my dilema is: should I leave the internet and Smashboards for a while? Or should I stay and participate on the discussions and show support for my wanted characters?
As soon as a new Smash game gets announced, spend two years living in the forest as an ermit.

It's the only way to escape spoilers :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Well when leaks start popping up they go in spoiler tags so leave the entire internet like a month or two before release

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
*sigh* Yeah guess even a Animal Crossing new character seems more likely than a newcomer form say, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, F-Zero, Wario or Yoshi's Island at this point.

Times have surely changed a lot.
I admit, your adamant support for Impa back in the days got me on board to seeing her included; either HW or SS versions are fine by me. And I’m sure most people are down to see new characters from one of those series. Many of them definitely deserve some more love. Sadly, I think F-Zero and Yoshi doesn’t really warrant a new character and who would exactly fill that role? Black Shadow I suppose but it seems a little odd to me. As for Yoshi, the only character I can think of is Kamek - who I personally would like to see but I doubt he would make it in.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I see massive Isabelle hype but where is her support thread?

Come on peeps.

You move set creators have the opportunity for killer OP's.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I see massive Isabelle hype but where is her support thread?

Come on peeps.

You move set creators have the opportunity for killer OP's.
Fairly certain one exists. It's just not the most active.

I think Luminario Luminario owns it.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Fairly certain one exists. It's just not the most active.

I think Luminario Luminario owns it.
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-adorable-assistant-of-acnl-isabelle-for-smash-switch.447070/
Ta da~
My girl's finally getting the recognition she deserves.

I don't think we should count Urbosa out just yet. She's the champion with the easiest ability to work into multiple moves, and she's been shown to actually parry with her shield so she could have some parry moves like Palutena. They could mix in some sand magic for extra flair too. Vah Naboris also lends itself well to a FS.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At best, they could see Assist Trophy roles.
It's not really an "at best", it's just likely.

The problem with 4 major characters is choosing one is really difficult. And Sakurai adding a third Link doesn't seem too likely, as he really wants Link(all versions) to have the same B moves.

I mean, I know there was the idea of Impa using the Sheikah Slate as well as the various Champion abilities. It's not that bad of an idea overall. It feels like a shoehorn though. Maybe give some of those moves to Zelda instead? I could see Sheik using a few Sheikah Slate moves, since actually is known for using someone else's moves, so it fits her character a bit better. That, and Impa has better options than just that.

D

Deleted member

Puh-lease, the BotW newcomer should obviously be
Monk Maz Koshia :p
Legit the best option.

EDIT: We got the trailer.

Only things we know so far:
-It is a direct sequel to the previous movie.
-It is a collaboration with WIT Studio
-Lugia is 99.99% confirmed for the movie. The music snippet at the end is Lugia's theme from original Japanese version of the second movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Legit the best option.

-Lugia is 99.99% confirmed for the movie. The music snippet at the end is Lugia's theme from original Japanese version of the second movie.
I really believe that Zeroara will be there plus a Gen 8 pokémon
Also, look at this artstyle. It IS stunning ♥♥♥

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Legit the best option.

Alolan Lugia and Ho - Oh confirmed?
Eh?
Eh?
Sorry.
This movie actually looks solid, I like the more "anime" design.

Well when leaks start popping up they go in spoiler tags so leave the entire internet like a month or two before release
I am aware of that, the early game - buyers and hackers will always leak stuff in the internet. People who get the movie early will do the same, informative post. Go read a book or go outside and avoid spoilers.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Lugia is getting another movie.
Gen 2 pandering in gen 8?
More Lugia?

Ahem

YEEEEEEESSS PLEASE LET GEN I BE THE GEN OF LUGIA! PLEASE LET HIM GET ALL THE ADMIRATION AND ATTENTION THAT HE DESERVES. PLEASE LET HIM GET A NEW POWERFUL FORM, PLEASE LET BECOME A GOD, PLEASE LET HIM GET AN ALL NEW POWERFUL FORM, PLEASE LET HIS ENGLISH THEME FROM THE MOVIE REAPPEAR. PLEASE LET HIM GET MORE IMPORTANCE IN THE NEXT SMASH, MAYBE A BOSS FIGHT, AT LEAST A BUFF TO HIS MELEE SELF. HOW AWESOME WOULD HE BE PLAYABLE? WHO CARES ABOUT SIZE LUGIA WOULD BE PLAYABLE. MAYBE BRING BACK SHADOW LUGIA! I need to play that game GIVE HIM AN AURA OF POWER, MAKE HIM WISE AND KIND, MAKE IT SO HE DOESN'T GIVE UP SO CLOSE TO ACCOMPLISHING HIS GOAL, MAKE HIM ONE OF A KIND, SHOW US THAT 40 YEAR STORM, SHOW US HIM FLAPPING HIS WINGS. LUGIA SHOW US YOUR STRENGTH. GIVE HIM SOMETHING TO WORK WITH HO-OH RESURRECTION POWERS. GIVE THEM MORE IN COMMON, SHOW US WHY THEY'RE A DUO. YOU HAVE BEEN MY FAVOURITE POKEMON FOR AS LONG AS I CAM REMEMBER, YOU ARE A BIG UNSTOPPABLE FORCE OF NATURE. YOU ARE THE KIND GUARDIAN OF THE SEA. YOU HAVE AN UNRIVALED ELEGANCE THAT POKEMON THESE DAYS ONLY WISH THEY HAD. YOUR TIME IS COMING LUGIA, DON'T LET ME DOWN!!!!!! SHOW THE WORLD WHY YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!!

D

Deleted member

If the Legendary Birds appear in this film, then we could see Sorrel and his background Lucario again since he wanted to research them.

And maybe Cross and Incineroar again as a friendly rival since he wanted to have a rematch in the future. Please? :p

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What would everyone want to see included in a Smash 5 debut trailer? Not a Switch port but a whole new game.

Staarih

Smash Master
What would everyone want to see included in a Smash 5 debut trailer? Not a Switch port but a whole new game.
I'd be surprised if Inkling/something Splatoon isn't in the debut trailer, it's the one character pretty much everyone expects (and wants), Splatoon ought to get major content in the next Smash anyway as it is THE big thing for Nintendo nowadays, enough to gain major attention.
Other than that, I don't know. Character-wise maybe one more really popular and one out-of-the-blue surprise sort of thing (think Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer from Smash 4 debut).

And of course Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby duking it out from the start per usual.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
With Brawl, I thought they showed too few veterans at the start. Waiting a year to confirm Donkey Kong stood out to me. In that regard I want them to do something like Smash 4's, where it shows off a good bulk of series stars right from the get go.

:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:
:4bowser::4marth:
:4olimar::4pit:
:4villager:
Thirteen veterans shown off at the start, all from different series, plus Bowser to get a villain. Then show off some newcomers. The Inkling is a definite for the first trailer, as well as at least one third party.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Firstly, I wish to see the return of Solid Snake. This is just an idea I had, but adding Liquid Snake would make an epic clone character combo I think. Also, I really wish Crash bandicoot could be in it, But I understand that Crash is in All Stars, So idk if that's possible. Furthermore, I would be thrilled to have another Sonic universe character, which I feel like could be very easy to add. Aside from sonic, I don't think more than two Mario universe characters should be added, as the Mario characters are just added up too much in my humble opinion. Lastly, Please add all the pokemon you want!!! :)
Posting this here instead of the roster thread, but Crash Bandicoot wasn't in PSASBR.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think at the very least, we're guaranteed to see the main four (:4mario::4link::4kirby::4pikachu:) and a third party newcomer for the first reveals.

That said, with the increase of number of characters now, I'd like them to do like they did with Smash 4 and show off a lot of veterans and a few newcomers again.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
A beautiful cgi fighting/other cutscene kinda like the newcomer trailers except this would have some epic choreography and be pretty long like 10mins even (but never feeling slow except for any slow motion)...revealing new characters and veterans and stages as it goes on with the splashcreens being 3d and within the scene. Yh.
Not happening :/

Last edited:

Katfrog1

Smash Rookie
I feel like we need a final stage grass rep,mainly because we have both C-zard and Greninja.as for who could take that role it could be either Sceptile or Decidueye

Also,even though I dont own a switch,I would not mind waiting 1-2 years for smash switch.If and when it comes out it would be a smart idea to bundle it with a custom skinned Switch with smash themed joy-cons and having the smash ball icon where the NFC reader is.This would probably boost sales for smash fans that dont think it is worth it to buy a switch.it might even help to have melee like mechanics and a USB to GC controller thrown in there to connect to the switch and you can swap between long and short cords for docked and undocked play.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm still hesitant to say Smash 5 must be what's going on. It still wouldn't have made any sense to scrap everything from Smash 4 so soon after DLC finished and start over just for the sake of saying the game was new. Especially when they'd have had to make the decision before they knew how well the Switch would sell, with the knowledge that Smash 4 didn't save the Wii U because it wasn't ready until several years into the system's lifespan.

Unless we're talking an in-name-only "Smash 5" that used Smash 4's engine and assets as a baseline to work with, like what Splatoon 2 did.

Last edited:

Katfrog1

Smash Rookie
As far as third party IP's i could see shovel knight making it it if they drop a trailer in 2018 to boost sales of the shovel knight DLC or when the plan to release Battle mode(because smash is a battling game) they could make shovel knight's model 2d like game and watch or do what they did to duck hunt and make it a new 3d model.they dont even half to make a new Amiibo because of the existence of the shovel knight Amiibo but odds are they will because of the customized base.For Nintendo IP's Definitely inklings and for the customized guns that could ethire be separate skins, if they include the move set/gear back from Wii U,or just implement a new menu for it entirely. Its duck animation could turn the inkling into a squid and like with the Villager and Wii fit trainer the skins would swap between male and female every other one.Then the infamous Ridley could make it in to promote Metroid prime 4 with a shrunk down model to around the size of Ganon,Bowser of C-zard but this is just my hopes/speculation

Oh ya I forgot about Springman as for him There could be a Robospringman and swap for his metal suit costume

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do not double post and edit your messages instead. If you need to tag someone, double posting is fine under the condition you either report or ask for a Mod to merge them. Editing in a tag or quote will not alert anyone. So it's helpful to try and get all the quoting done at once. Thankfully the site itself will show more posts as they come up, making it easier to do so.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one that wants that thing where you can rotate the screen with the C - Stick? Anybody?

I just hope Smash Brothers for Switch makes good balance patches for characters who are very weak in the Smash 4 M.E.T.A game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom