• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong need their Mario series voice clips back as well, especially since Smash 3DS / Wii U was less realistic looking than Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong need their Mario series voice clips back as well, especially since Smash 3DS / Wii U was less realistic looking than Brawl.
I've became quite fond of the animalistic sounds of the Kongs honestly. Can't picture them in Smash without.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Looks like I missed a bit, but I do want to reply to the guy who quoted me

Well, yeah. He had that color when sold at international versions, so of course they'll reference that.

Japan, on the other hand, gets the Famicom colors as the default palette.

So yeah, I doubt they'll change that. It's just... accurate.
I'm fully aware of this, I'm actually a big fan of R.O.B. I just like the Famicom colours more. Plus if they have a story mode, they might keep it to keep it consistent with that since changing him in every single cutscene could be tedious
So basically, no change at all.
He's taller
It's been even longer since the last Wario Land game.
Yes, but Wario has continued appearing in the Mario games with his plumber outfit. That's what I was getting at
Um... She never wore a turban... nor appeared in BotW outside of a single mask from amiibo either.
Someone already posted last page what I was talking about. Sheik turban with the two other Sheikah armour pieces is what I'm talking about. It basically makes it like you're playing as Sheik.
Heroes actually has him use his Path of Radiance design, the same one used in Brawl.

Smash 4 uses the one from its sequel, Radiant Dawn.
OK but
Heroes design is basically just his Melee design. Not saying it's wrong, just pointing it out.

Smash 4 changes it up by mixing that same design with a few of the things he has in his Awakening design.
I know you're wrong here, Roy's heroes design, or at least the artwork you see when first starting the game, has one arm completely covered by a sleeve. Neither Melee or Smash Wii U have this.
I could see one change for Corrin; make the female one the default gender. It happened with Warriors.
True, I don't care about Cotton so I basically skipped it
On one hand, I agree. On the other, the design used since New Leaf looks great.
I hate the default boy that appeared in Mario Kart from New Leaf. Does anyone know if Pocket Camp has a different design featured more prominently in its promotion?
Wii Fit Trainer in general is unlikely to come back, let alone get a redesign.
Others have already commented on this so I'll just leave it with what they said
Not really, since he's not even in that game.
Yes you're right. Shulk does not appear in it, but if they add Rex, they may want their two Xenoblade Chronicles characters to look consistent. Although just giving them both the Smash artstyle will probably do that.
That's actually what he does in his sprites when walking around in Duck Hunt. I say keep it for the accuracy.
Ok
As far as we know, Bayo's original design is the Bayo 3 design, so... it's technically already there.
As far as we know. Who knows what the final game will have. Not to mention Bayonetta is killed in that trailer and Bayonetta 2 had the Bayonetta 1 design in a showcase of its early development. This was before its first trailer.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I never really thought about Shulk and Rex’s conflicting art styles. I don’t see the problem with having them in their own art styles. Shulk already kind of looks anime like in Smash, and Rex looks very anime like. How knows?

What I want to know is if we’ll get Jin from Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I never really thought about Shulk and Rex’s conflicting art styles. I don’t see the problem with having them in their own art styles. Shulk already kind of looks anime like in Smash, and Rex looks very anime like. How knows?

What I want to know is if we’ll get Jin from Xenoblade Chronicles 2?
Why would we get Jin? Yeah he was very prominent but Rex, Elma and probably a few others would likely take priority. And I don't see us getting more than one Xenoblade newcomer.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Why would we get Jin? Yeah he was very prominent but Rex, Elma and probably a few others would likely take priority. And I don't see us getting more than one Xenoblade newcomer.
I meant him coming along with Rex/Rex&Pyra (as a team unit) as a newcomer. I agree we probably won’t see more than one Xenoblade newcomer. It’s more of a want than what I actually believe will happen. I just like Jin’s design, and it would add a villain.

D

Deleted member

Wait what? How is she unlikely to come back? If your argument is lack of popularity then you're ignoring the literal reason to why she was added in the first place
If Wii Fit Trainer returned she would have to be named "Switch Fit Trainer"!
Or she can be called Wii Fit Trainer because she belongs to the Wii and would be a "LOL" character in the Smash Switch, considering she is a Wii character.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
If Wii Fit Trainer returned she would have to be named "Switch Fit Trainer"!
Or she can be called Wii Fit Trainer because she belongs to the Wii and would be a "LOL" character in the Smash Switch, considering she is a Wii character.
A Switch Fit game would work so well. Oh my God. Make it happen, Nintendo. Then the trainers would be “relevant” again, and people could hush.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
A Switch Fit game would work so well. Oh my God. Make it happen, Nintendo. Then the trainers would be “relevant” again, and people could hush.
Mostly won't happen, because the motion controls aren't prioritzed as much as the Wii, lacks a board that the Wii Fit series use, and 1-2 Switch kinda did that.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Mostly won't happen, because the motion controls aren't prioritzed as much as the Wii, lacks a board that the Wii Fit series use, and 1-2 Switch kinda did that.
Well, the Wii Balance Board was an accessory released alongside the first Wii Fit game, so I don't see how the lack of one is an issue for a Switch Fit.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I don’t think it’d be hard to release a board accessory for the Switch, and while the motion controls aren’t prioritized, they are still present. I see 1-2 Switch more so as a collection of mini games to introduce the Switch to a new audience. Wii Fit had minigames, but was more so focused on fitness and wellness. It was its own unique and successful series. A Fit game for the Switch could totally work. Nintendo could pull it off.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don’t think it’d be hard to release a board accessory for the Switch, and while the motion controls aren’t prioritized, they are still present. I see 1-2 Switch more so as a collection of mini games to introduce the Switch to a new audience. Wii Fit had minigames, but was more so focused on fitness and wellness. It was its own unique and successful series. A Fit game for the Switch could totally work. Nintendo could pull it off.
Although they could easily release a board accessory for the switch and use the motion controls, I still don't see it being prioritized for the switch. Maybe until after the major games were released we might get one, though chances do seem pretty slim.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Although they could easily release a board accessory for the switch and use the motion controls, I still don't see it as being prioritized by Nintendo. Maybe until after the major games were released we might get one, though chances do seem pretty slim.
The Wii Fit Series was extremely successful though. It may not be as major of an IP as Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon, but it was still a successful series for Nintendo. I agree it won’t be prioritized, but I don’t think it will be completely disregarded either. The potential is there.

D

Deleted member

Interesting. What would DK sould like, would he be a bit more noisy and go "WEE HAH and BRUH HEEAY!" sounds like a pretty interesting opinion. I did know now Diddy Kong had a realistic primate sound, thought he always sounded like that in the other games. I must be missing out on something.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hope not. That era of Nintendo gives me less than stellar memories. Those kind of games started Nintendo down a path on which they've only recently, and after much too long, course corrected.

The Wii Fit Series was extremely successful though. It may not be as major of an IP as Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon, but it was still a successful series for Nintendo. I agree it won’t be prioritized, but I don’t think it will be completely disregarded either. The potential is there.
They wouldn't dive in with Wii Fit. Should casual Mii games (of which I'm sure we'll still receive here and there) prove successful enough, perhaps we'd see some sort of successor to Wii Fit, but I'm not convinced such a thing will transpire. Seems like the decisions of a bygone Nintendo tbh. Fortunately it appears they're taking their brand elsewhere these days, and trying to endear themselves towards a different demographic.

Of course I could be proven wrong eventually. But either way, it won't effect WFT's attendance in Smash; I really don't care about her fate personally, but she's not gonna leave.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Interesting. What would DK sould like, would he be a bit more noisy and go "WEE HAH and BRUH HEEAY!" sounds like a pretty interesting opinion. I did know now Diddy Kong had a realistic primate sound, thought he always sounded like that in the other games. I must be missing out on something.
The voice portrayals are basically the main issue. In the Mario spin-offs, Takashi Nagasako voices Donkey Kong, while Katsumi Suzuki voices Diddy Kong.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Fact: Bowser's voices in the Smash series are one of the main reasons why he's a bad character.

Joking but seriously, just give him his canon voice. Nobody gives a **** about him sounding cartoony. Personally, I find his Galaxy voice charming.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm fine either way. I haven't milked Smash 4 nearly as much as I did with Melee and Brawl, so I've got several more years in me before I start itching for a true sequel. Throw in a couple new characters and let me take it on the go and we're golden.

Plus I dunno if my son Cloud Strife is gonna stick around so I'd like a few more years with him plz. :p

D

Deleted member

A port means we're not losing anything (other than the Miiverse stage since the feature is dead), so I would rather have a port with some bonus content now and a new title that starts the speculation game from scratch again later. :p

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'm fine either way. I haven't milked Smash 4 nearly as much as I did with Melee and Brawl, so I've got several more years in me before I start itching for a true sequel. Throw in a couple new characters and let me take it on the go and we're golden.

Plus I dunno if my son Cloud Strife is gonna stick around so I'd like a few more years with him plz. :p
I understand why people are afraid Cloud won’t make it into Smash V/ Sma5h. He’s 3rd Party so there’s always the risk he doesn’t come back. However, Square Enix and Nintendo’s relationship is spectacular right now, and Tetsuya Nomura has so happy to have Cloud be in Smash. You can look it up. Square Enix has recently said they are excited on working on Switch games, and hope to bring new and old games to it. I think Cloud is safe. It’ll just be a matter of if Nintendo and Sakurai ask for his return.

What I don’t understand is when people compare Cloud and Snake

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wonder if Smash should flesh out its DK stage that has a background platform as a new feature.

Characters can press B after grabbing another to toss them onto a different stage or break through certain areas to open up a new battlefield. Might be too complex to be a main feature.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I wonder if Smash should flesh out its DK stage that has a background platform as a new feature.

Characters can press B after grabbing another to toss them onto a different stage or break through certain areas to open up a new battlefield. Might be too complex to be a main feature.
I think it would be too complex for a main feature. Not to mention really time-consuming.

Maybe some stage-specific stuff could work though.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I hope they make a new Smash Bros. title instead of a port installment for the switch.
That would be cool though, but I don't know how they are going to surpass what Smash 4 has done if they made a new game, so I think a port to fix things up is the best way to go.

What I don’t understand is when people compare Cloud and Snake
Its probably because he was very unexpected since he barely ever appears on a Nintendo console, the same thing goes for Snake.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
That would be cool though, but I don't know how they are going to surpass what Smash 4 has done if they made a new game, so I think a port to fix things up is the best way to go.

Its probably because he was very unexpected since he barely ever appears on a Nintendo console, the same thing goes for Snake.
I meant more so for fear of losing him. I’ve often seen people say something along the lines of “Cloud is a guest character, and if he’s anything like Snake, it’ll be a one time appearance. :(

With Snake though it was a matter of Kojima leaving Konami. He no longer had the rights to Snake anymore, and Konami probably didn’t agree to have him appear if they were even asked. Konami has gone a little crazy in recent years.

However, as I said before, Nomura was elated to have Cloud in Smash, and Square’s relationship with Nintendo seems to be doing splendidly. I think we will see Cloud again if they take the measures to ask and acquire licensing again. If they don’t, then we won’t, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Gaming icon. Mr. JRPG. Mr. Final Fantasy. Was very well received by the Smash community.

D

Deleted member

With Snake though it was a matter of Kojima leaving Konami. He no longer had the rights to Snake anymore, and Konami probably didn’t agree to have him appear if they were even asked. Konami has gone a little crazy in recent years.
Wrong.

Smash 4's roster was decided upon in early 2012. Kojima split from Konami late 2015, after Smash was already released and DLC was wrapping up.

The split had nothing to do with Smash 4 and would only really apply to future releases.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Wrong.

Smash 4's roster was decided upon in early 2012. Kojima split from Konami late 2015, after Smash was already released and DLC was wrapping up.

The split had nothing to do with Smash 4 and would only really apply to future releases.
Well, my mistake. Thank you for correcting me. Maybe Cloud isn’t so safe after all. I still believe we’ll see him return though.

My apologizes for misinformation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wasn't quite a fan of Cloud's addition at all. Still would rather have more Nintendo additions than third party additions. Am very anxious they will continue down the same road as Smash 4.

I'd rather have them keep the current 3rd party cast and add minimal newcomers from 3rd party franchises, cause I don't think many would stand out as much as the current cast. Also nerf Bayonetta and Cloud.

Wish there was more potential for Nintendo owned newcomers. Not many high potential newcomers actually interest me very much

D

Deleted member

Well, my mistake. Thank you for correcting me. Maybe Cloud isn’t so safe after all. I still believe we’ll see him return though.

My apologizes for misinformation.
It's alright.

Because of Snake, I personally don't see any guest's return as "guaranteed". The closest ones to me would be Sonic and Bayonetta, The former because I can't see any real reason to expect him being axed when he's made it into Smash twice now, and the latter was a big deal due to the Ballot and Nintendo has partial influence on her franchise at this point in time.

And Pac-Man, though he's dependent on Bamco's return to develop the game.

That's not to say I see Mega Man, Ryu, or Cloud as "unlikely", just that we can't really know for sure.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Wrong.

Actually it could be argued that a break like the one between Konami and Kojima couldn't have happen in a few days. In reality we got the first pubblic hints of it in Ground Zeroes, which was released in March 2014, which means that things were looking bad even before that. I would argue it is likely that Kojima 's deperture was a problem, especially considering that Sakurai never said anything about Snake's removal, probably because he is professional and can't say "lol F**Konami".

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It's alright.

Because of Snake, I personally don't see any guest's return as "guaranteed". The closest ones to me would be Sonic and Bayonetta, The former because I can't see any real reason to expect him being axed when he's made it into Smash twice now, and the latter was a big deal due to the Ballot and Nintendo has partial influence on her franchise at this point in time.

That's not to say I see Mega Man, Ryu, or Cloud as "unlikely", just that we can't really know for sure.
Agreed. It’s definitely hard to determine which 3rd parties will be in, and which ones won’t.

I agree Sonic is probably safe as Nintendo and Sega are basically bestfriends at this point.

Bayonetta is probably safe. Being the ballot winner, and having her last two sequels be Nintendo exclusives are definite pluses.

MegaMan is probably safe as well. MegaMan 11 and all the old MegaMan games coming back.

PAC-Man depends on Bamco for sure.

Ryu and Cloud are the ones I’m kind of worried about. However, Square and Nintendo seem to be on great terms, and Street Fighter is Sakurai’s favorite game. With how close Nintendo and Capcom are, they may just make it back in.

Smash 4 had such an outstanding roster. It’d be hard to see any of them go, honestly. I hope they all come back.

I feel like Sakurai kind of shot himself in the foot with Smash 4’s roster because it is an incredible combination of gaming all-stars. At least in my eyes, and some of them may not return.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Aight anyone who wants to take over any of my support threads in my signature place ur requests in my dms/ here.

I think ill just keep either Medusa or Lara Croft dunno yet lol.

Let the bidding commence.

D

Deleted member

It's alright.

I am sure they will keep Mega Man ( he is getting his game on the Switch ) and he is kind of related to Nintendo, like Bayonetta. I agree with Cloud and Ryu though about what you said.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I am sure they will keep Mega Man ( he is getting his game on the Switch ) and he is kind of related to Nintendo, like Bayonetta. I agree with Cloud and Ryu though about what you said.
Hopefully all 3rd Parties will return along with some new ones as well.

This is a question for everyone. Which 3rd Party would you choose? Pick 1-3 choices. The only rule is they can’t be from an existing 3rd Party Franchise. Bonus question: Can you explain why, and whether or not you think they are possible?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

This is a question for everyone. Which 3rd Party would you choose? Pick 1-3 choices. The only rule is they can’t be from an existing 3rd Party Franchise. Bonus question: Can you explain why, and whether or not you think they are possible?
Any third parties? Okay.

Crash Bandicoot, Maxwell from Scribblenauts, and Frogger, in descending order of likelihood. Lara Croft and Shovel Knight are my runners up.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

Bomberman. He just made his big comeback on a switch exclusive and he surely has the icon status to be up there with the other third parties and the ballot winner.

Although Konami......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom