• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
if we don't get another Mario strikers, can we get some sort of smash soccer? You can still attack and kill, but you don't get a point unless you knock the ball into the other guy's blast zone? That opens a huge can of worms regarding modes, but whatever
If you want to see what that’s like, there are soccer modes in SSF2 and Slap City (although, in both of those, the arena is enclosed, so you can’t die at all, but you can still get sent careening around the arena.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think we've had Braille yet.

I think one has been Morse Code?
At that point leaks will basically have become a farce that no one can take seriously (not that they aren't already).

i feel like if any third party series will see a lot of representation it'll be sonic, its stuck with smash for a while now definitely deserves it.
That and Sonic is more of a Nintendo franchise than the other third parties (including Bayo, who’s atleast 2nd or 3rd)
I can see that even possibly have the privilege of getting a second character, given how much people would want Luigi Vs. Tails matches.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
At that point leaks will basically have become a farce that no one can take seriously (not that they aren't already).

I can see that even possibly have the privilege of getting a second character, given how much people would want Luigi Vs. Tails matches.
Bowser vs Eggman, Shadow vs Dark Pit, Luigi/Yoshi vs Tails, Luigi vs Shadow, Peach/Daisy/Rosalina/Zelda/Palutena vs Amy, Donkey Kong vs Knuckles (and Knuckles, the battle of memes)...damn there’s an entire army of matchups that could happen

RandomAce

Smash Champion
yeah I mean thats sorta what I'm getting at is that he DID catch himself but ended up saying character"s". As in he didnt forget shulks name the reason for the stutter and accidentally saying characters is that he ALMOST was going to say "elma/rex" or something and even in catching himself he said "xenoblade characters" thinking (that works thats vague) but its pluralized so its actually still a slip up.

its an odd moment, again could go either way totally possible he just forgot shulks name and also accidentally pluralized character"s" but its worth looking at anyway as xenoblade getting more reps is pretty likely and bill having knowledge of characters is pretty likely too, so if anyone COULD potentially slip up its him.
Either way, the possibility of a Xenoblade newcomer is very likely, the slip up sort of confirms it even more that we’re getting a Xenoblade newcomer.

I still expect Elma to be in the game, even if he hadn’t made the slip up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's see, with Star Fox and co getting a Zero makeover, the Inklings getting in, Mario Maker returning and obviously Breath of the Wild, I think that's all the big WiiU games represented apart from Xenoblade X, Hyrule Warriors and TMS: #FE, last two are spin-offs that involve other companies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It only took fans 17 years to notice a few clones don't harm anyone.
to be fair, when it was melee, a lot of important characters w ere either MIA or cloneified... or downright jank.

Here it's like... honestly, for me, and probably most people, anything added to this roster is just icing on the cake. I know there's marketing involved, but this definitely helps.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Let's see, with Star Fox and co getting a Zero makeover, the Inklings getting in, Mario Maker returning and obviously Breath of the Wild, I think that's all the big WiiU games represented apart from Xenoblade X, Hyrule Warriors and TMS: #FE, last two are spin-offs that involve other companies.
It all points toward Wii U games or games that were nearly done around that time that are going to have content in Ultimate. The late Wii U/3DS era.

Basically, it’s a sign that can point toward a possibility of Elma being added as newcomer because she was right smack in the time where Sakurai picked newcomers along with content from X and not 2, alongside Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Pokemon Sun and Moon content with possible newcomers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mario Circuit U (Mario Kart 8), Alph, and Garden of Hope (Pikmin 3) are also confirmed. I'd count Tropical Freeze as a big Wii U game as well, and we have yet to see any representation of that game aside from DK and Diddy who don't really count. There were a few music tracks on the Jungle Hijinx stage, but we haven't seen that stage yet, and even if we had, that's no guarantee of all its music coming back.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know nothing of Xenoblade, but several Xenoblade characters make a cameo in Shulk's Final Smash.

Hence Xenoblade characters.

It's not all that hard to see.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nope, there is still Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Super Mario 3D World, NintendoLand and Wii Party U.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mario Circuit U (Mario Kart 8), Alph, and Garden of Hope (Pikmin 3) are also confirmed. I'd count Tropical Freeze as a big Wii U game as well, and we have yet to see any representation of that game aside from DK and Diddy who don't really count. There were a few music tracks on the Jungle Hijinx stage, but we haven't seen that stage yet, and even if we had, that's no guarantee of all its music coming back.
All the more reason to have Dixie Kong as a fighter!
I had my first Smash Ultimate related dream today. In it, Sakurai claimed that the next newcomer was one who "scored highly on the ballot", he then revealed Akane Owari as a playable fighter.
Yup.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know nothing of Xenoblade, but several Xenoblade characters make a cameo in Shulk's Final Smash.

Hence Xenoblade characters.

It's not all that hard to see.
I still say it was within the context of playable characters on the roster, as he mentioned Bayonetta and Cloud beforehand.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: I've always wondered this about Pac-Man: are those yellow dots that he constantly eats even supposed to be edible? Are they even supposed to be something other than just generic dots? What do they even taste like?

Colonel: Nobody knows for sure, Snake, and since Pac-Man seems to be fine with consuming ghosts, who knows if those dots were truly meant to be edible. It seems like he'll just eat anything that's standing in his way, or die trying.

Snake: Not to mention, he's also tossing perfectly good fruit around, shouldn't he be eating that stuff instead? At least there's no juice stains left behind from them, they're hard to wash out of my sneaking suits...

Colonel: That's the least of your worries, Snake, focus on keeping your distance from Pac-Man since he hits the hardest up close. However, you should keep your eye out for any bouncing fire hydrants, they hit harder than most other moves that Pac-Man has.

Snake: Bouncing fire hydrants? Where in the world does he get something like that?! Geez, for one of the most iconic characters in gaming history, he's also probably the strangest as well.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I had my first Smash Ultimate related dream today. In it, Sakurai claimed that the next newcomer was one who "scored highly on the ballot", he then revealed Akane Owari as a playable fighter.
Yup.
I can do you one better. I had a dream that Sakurai hosted a special Direct solely to announce that the next newcomer was Jotaro Kujo, and then went on to show off his character trailer.

His smash attacks involved manifesting small parts of his Stand (like just the arms or just the legs) to hit people.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There's also Tropical freeze, captain toad and mario 3d world, I'd expect those first 2 to get at least a stage.

I don't really expect hyrule warriors or #FE content apart from music and trophies tbh.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It only took fans 17 years to notice a few clones don't harm anyone.
The concept of clones never bothered me. It's which clones they choose to make. Like, why is Alph a costume while other characters get fo be their own clone?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can do you one better. I had a dream that Sakurai hosted a special Direct solely to announce that the next newcomer was Jotaro Kujo, and then went on to show off his character trailer.

His smash attacks involved manifesting small parts of his Stand (like just the arms or just the legs) to hit people.
Neutral B: ORA ORA ORA
Side B: ORA ORA ORA
Down B: ORA ORA ORA

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
As far as how many newcomers there will be, I never quite understood the idea of there being only 2 or 3 more unique newcomers. It makes sense to keep one's own expectations in check, but I feel like Sakurais comment about "not expecting too many more newcomers) shouldn't be taken so literally. How I view it, the returning veterans that were cut previously essentially take up the same amount of time / resources as a newcomer, with the only exception being the Ice Climbers (mainly because it was stated that they were up and running on the Wii U at one point, so I'd imagine they wouldn't have to be remade from scratch like the others).

Personally I'm expecting this game to have as many newcomers (that is, characters that weren't in Smash 4), as any other game in the series. If we take into account the six returning veterans that aren't Ice Climbers, as well as Inklings and Ridley, I don't think it's very unrealistic to expect around 6 or 7 more unique newcomers, totalling out to 14-15 "new" fighters. I think sakurai saying not to expect too many more new fighters was simply his way of telling us that the vets were his number one priority, so that would obviously have an effect on the overall amount of actual newcomers

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It all points toward Wii U games or games that were nearly done around that time that are going to have content in Ultimate. The late Wii U/3DS era.

Basically, it’s a sign that can point toward a possibility of Elma being added as newcomer because she was right smack in the time where Sakurai picked newcomers along with content from X and not 2, alongside Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Pokemon Sun and Moon content with possible newcomers.
So Wii U/3DS and a touch of Nintendo Switch for representation in Smash Ultimate...acceptable and reasonable

RandomAce

Smash Champion
As far as how many newcomers there will be, I never quite understood the idea of there being only 2 or 3 more unique newcomers. It makes sense to keep one's own expectations in check, but I feel like Sakurais comment about "not expecting too many more newcomers) shouldn't be taken so literally. How I view it, the returning veterans that were cut previously essentially take up the same amount of time / resources as a newcomer, with the only exception being the Ice Climbers (mainly because it was stated that they were up and running on the Wii U at one point, so I'd imagine they wouldn't have to be remade from scratch like the others).

Personally I'm expecting this game to have as many newcomers (that is, characters that weren't in Smash 4), as any other game in the series. If we take into account the six returning veterans that aren't Ice Climbers, as well as Inklings and Ridley, I don't think it's very unrealistic to expect around 6 or 7 more unique newcomers, totalling out to 14-15 "new" fighters. I think sakurai saying not to expect too many more new fighters was simply his way of telling us that the vets were his number one priority, so that would obviously have an effect on the overall amount of actual newcomers
I doubt the veterans that are cut in Smash 4 took too much time (with the exception of Wolf). They would arguably take around the same time it takes to make 2-4 newcomers.

It’s just the fact that ALL 65 veterans returned and were updated that probably took a lot of time along with the stages.

Really I think it’s fine to expect around 7-10 unique newcomers.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A grand total of over ten THOUSAND character changes across the board!...

and not one of them is giving Ike sword beams.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The concept of clones never bothered me. It's which clones they choose to make. Like, why is Alph a costume while other characters get fo be their own clone?
The Pikmin were always the stars, not the Captains. It makes a Pikmin series clone a bit of a lower priority most likely. It's the translated/other region versions that give a misunderstanding of this. The proper name is Pikmin & Olimar and Pikmin & Alph. Besides that, there aren't a lot of new Pikmin to implement and make interesting. So it might not be considered "worth it" to make a new model and animate it alone for a clone in this case. Especially since Pikmin does a great job alone in showing off the various little guys in Olimar's moveset alone. So an Echo takes more a lot more, and maybe it's not worth it till more Pikmin get introduced, allowing Alph to be more interesting in the long run. Though my first point still stands, I'd like to see Alph be his own guy, but Rock Pikmin have no tangible differences from Purple Pikmin bar their design, so ideas are needed to clearly separate them first. Sakurai simply hasn't thought of them, perhaps.

But yeah, there's many possible reasons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A grand total of over ten THOUSAND character changes across the board!...

and not one of them is giving Ike sword beams.
True. Was kind of bugged about that as well. Yet, Eruption becomes a ranged attack if fully charged, so there's at least that... I am also quite dissapointed that Cloud got the sword beam that Ike was denied. Sakurai's own comments on this say that Ike would be overpowered if he got this. And then Cloud happened in Smash 4 and nearly broke the game and he didn't even bat an eye... :rolleyes:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
We can argue if characters are wanted or not but the fact is,

Once they're in Smash, they'll BE wanted.
Forever.

Everyone is Here.
Tru.

They could add Pink Gold Peach as one of the unique characters and people will start acting like they wanted her for decades.

"Pink Gold Peach was one of my most wanted, even though I never put them in any of my wishlist or even acknowledge their existance. I KNEW she would be in"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
True. Was kind of bugged about that as well. Yet, Eruption becomes a ranged attack if fully charged, so there's at least that... I am also quite dissapointed that Cloud got the sword beam that Ike was denied. Sakurai's own comments on this say that Ike would be overpowered if he got this. And then Cloud happened in Smash 4 and nearly broke the game and he didn't even bat an eye... :rolleyes:
Incidentally, Cloud used Ike as a base. Guess that Sakurai wanted Squeenix to be pleased with his portrayal of their character, moveset-wise.

Meanwhile, I find it funny that Ike's voice still manages to pale compared to Marth's voice, despite the changes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pft, yeah, seriously.
Ike's only got like 4 iconic moves and that's quickdraw, aether, backflip cut, and sword beam, c'mon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Time for another survey list...

What in your opinion are the 5 most likely Echo characters that are gonna be added to Ultimate?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
It was within the context of playable characters on the roster of Smash 4.

i mean it was really about what characters newer players will gravitate towards and hes a marketing guy so he's going to be well aware of what games are newer or have future games coming and how nintendo should market those characters further etc... so i think he just thought about what smash characters are in that category; bayonetta 3 is coming out, FF7 remake is coming out (though not on a nintendo system he'd still be well aware of clouds "current"-ness), and then xenoblade has had recent games as well.

then its a matter of interpretation whether or not he just couldnt think of shulks name and accidentally pluralized characters OR if bill knows of future xenoblade characters in smash (for the sake of argument lets say he does have that knowledge) than its possible his mind went to another more "current" game character from smash (elma/rex etc..) and quickly realized he can't say that and stuttered out "xenoblade characters" to be vague knowing xenoblade is already known to be in smash but in the moment of trying to be vague he didnt realize that pluralizing it points towards unrevealed characters.

its a very in the moment thing, judge it however you want but it certain COULD be something, so i'd say its worth noting and talking about in regards to xenoblade characters chances, which are already pretty high.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
People, use Occam's razor.

Is it more likely that:
A. Bill forgot Shulk's name and stuttered out "xenoblade characters" as a catch-all instead of saying "xenoblade character" which no one would ever say. Seriously, which sounds more natural, "Legend of Zelda characters" or "That LoZ guy."?
Or
B. Bill accidentally leaked Elma by saying we have multiple xenoblade characters in the game after saying singular protagonists like Robin and Cloud.

Yeesh people...
C. (Woke) Bill said that on purpose because he knows Smash fans will read too much into anything and generate videos, articles and discussion resulting in more marketing for the game with one phrase

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
C. (Woke) Bill said that on purpose because he knows Smash fans will read too much into anything and generate videos, articles and discussion resulting in more marketing for the game with one phrase
BILL WAS THE MASTERMIND

ALL

ALONG.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Now THATS advertisement at its highest form.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

What in your opinion are the 5 most likely Echo characters that are gonna be added to Ultimate?
Here they are in no particular order:
-Chrom
-Octoling
-Impa
-Ken
-Jeanne

I did not include Dixie, Dark Samus, or Shadow because I think they'll be semi-clones if they do get in.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord

Shadow for Sonic
Black Shadow for Captain Falcon
Hilda for Zelda
Funky Kong for Donkey Kong
Dark Samus for Samus

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

1. Sylux (Metroid)

2. Somebody from Star Fox that isn't Krystal.

3. Ken (Street Fighter)

4. Toadette (Super Mario), if she's not an alt of the Captain Toad.

5. Shadow (Sonic), but that's only IF he is considered.

BILL WAS THE MASTERMIND

ALL

ALONG.
I can't help but think that someone will edit a certain meme about somebody riling up a crowd with just a few words, and shop Bill's head onto it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pft, yeah, seriously.
Ike's only got like 4 iconic moves and that's quickdraw, aether, backflip cut, and sword beam, c'mon.
Well honestly quite a few moves where taken from his Path of Radiance combat animations. The Forward Air also comes from a cutscene against the Black Knight. Forward Tilt is also a attack animation, his last hit on his jab is one of his attacks as a unpromoted Ranger.. but yeah, that's basically it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

1. Chrom(of Ike)
2. Shadow(of Sonic)
3: Dark Samus(of Samus)
4. Octoling(of Inkling)
5. Ken(of Ryu)

Hilda is a close 6th, mind you. But considering the already large Zelda roster, it's hard to say. At least there's enough clamoring for Chrom to justify it alone. As with the rest. Ken is the oddest one out, but even then, he's pretty much the default with Ryu in nearly every crossover or SF game, so it'd make sense.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

1.Chrom
2.Impa
3.Dixie (i think she'll be a semi clone but its POSSIBLE they add her as a pure echo so im listing her)
4.Isabelle
5.Medusa

if you count DLC i think sylux and octolings have a good shot then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom