• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I hope when training mode is finalized, that they have separate options for whole numbers (normal values) and decimals, to make scrolling through percents for combos or kill confirms maybe less stressful.

A DI option would be nice, with perhaps eight directions you can have the CPU DI a move. Not too sure about SDI though.

Maybe this would be difficult, but I would like it if we could control what the CPU does to us (a single move, for example), so we can easily practice how to deal with it, but I would not hope too much for an unlikely option like that.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I hope when training mode is finalized, that they have separate options for whole numbers (normal values) and decimals, to make scrolling through percents for combos or kill confirms maybe less stressful.

A DI option would be nice, with perhaps eight directions you can have the CPU DI a move. Not too sure about SDI though.

Maybe this would be difficult, but I would like it if we could control what the CPU does to us (a single move, for example), so we can easily practice how to deal with it, but I would not hope too much for an unlikely option like that.
we talk about characters have minuscule chances at best of getting in but a comprehensive training mode is the LEAST likely addition in a smash game by a mile imo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And I'm serious about Peach. Her model is large at her hips/dress, so realistically it was easy to find and make a lot of moves around that part of her design (the Bair, B and D throw, SideB).
Speaking of characters attacking with their butts, I've noticed this with most of the Mario-related cast in Smash (oddly not Mario himself, and Rosalina's hiney is too dignified for this).

One thing to point out about series backlash; I also don't persume to be Sakurai, but the backlash over Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus (which I don't remember too much of? Are you just reffering to Dark Pit?) is because most of the added characters weren't necessarily highly requested (Robin, Corrin & Dark Pit. You can even make arguments for Lucina and Roy). Even though they have some fan bases, they don't compare at all to the fan demand of King K. Rool or even Dixie.

Basically, I'd like to think Sakurai realizes he won't receive any backlash from adding two DK characters as long as they also happen to be two of the most requested characters in Smash right now. Now if he adds Funky Kong too he might be asking for trouble...
Yeah, if KI had anyone other than Dark Pit as a third addition, there'd be less of a stink made about it.

Funky I'm sure most people would be cool with, aside for those wanting other Kongs to be in first instead (like Cranky).

Wait, does Dark Samus even have the gear necessary to be Samus' echo? Like missiles, bombs, screwattack, I guess the charge shot is just Phazon but everything else though. I haven't played Prime 2 in ages.
Sylux I think would be more qualified for being Echo material.

Off-topic, but I find the fact that Goku is the most frequently supported non-video game character for Smash kinda ironic since characters like Rex and Corrin gets bashed for being "too anime".
To their credit, Toriyama's artstyle is very distinctive. Xenoblade's character art is pretty standard issue compared to that.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Not that I think being an echo suits her but I'd take echo Daisy in Smash Ultimate over hypothetical next Smash game who knows how many years later and might not even be in that.
Daisy without her hair spin would be weird but I wouldn't risk one of my most wanted characters just because they might 'save' her for the future.
Personally I'd rather her just not be included than be added as diddy with a ponytail and be stuck like that for the rest of her life as a smash character tbh

Iridium

Smash Hero
we talk about characters have minuscule chances at best of getting in but a comprehensive training mode is the LEAST likely addition in a smash game by a mile imo.
Yeah, I know, but it sucks that if I want to practice dealing with a certain combo or know if an opponent can escape a combo I learned, I have to possibly do it with another player (unlikely for me).

D

Deleted member

This is probably true, and it makes me sad. Smash's training modes are terrible.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Did I see someone be surprised that alt costumes are more popular here than echoes? An Echo is a new character who's almost identical and possibly had potential to be unique, a costume is just a costume but it's still that character, there's a reason lots of Ridley fans cheered at the Meta Ridley costume, Meta Ridley is from the most successful Metroid game's version of Ridley, who has what is often considered one of the best fights in the whole franchise, so seeing it as a costume was great!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You know it’s easy to cover how this roster might look like piece by piece, but when I try to make a newcomer line up prediction it gets really hard.

You have all of these possible characters, but then there is the possibility of there being less newcomers, the ballot, recent characters, new IPs, third parties, retros, curveballs, UGH! It’s really hard to make a newcomer list, since we really don’t know how many newcomers there are going to be and who is getting prioritized.

D

Deleted member

echoes as dlc would not go over well. i mena look at street fighter 4 decapre and dbfz with there 3rd goku and vegeta. neither was very well received and those characters aren't clones.

DLC is driven by hype and designed with sales in mind. while smash dlc prints money as far as we can tell, an echo would draw heavy criticism. Paying for something that is in the base game (technically) would also draw the deadly critique "why wasn't this in the base game?"
I kinda feel like not that many people would be upset by it outside of some of the core Smash fans on the internet, TBH. Most people would probably view Echo DLC as being similar to costume swap/model swap DLC, which many games already offer. Sure, they have some stats tweaked and extra effects, but you're only gonna notice that stuff majorly if you're trying to play the game at high level play.

Not to mention it's not like they'd take away time from unique fighters, as the core concept of an Echo is reusing a bunch of assets to create a new character quickly rather than starting from scratch. Maybe they could make a unique DLC newcomer and bundle an Echo of them with them?

I personally think Echo DLC would be pretty harmless, but that's just my opinion. I fully recognize and respect that my opinion isn't a popular one, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't think that a character will be revealed on the 22nd. That's a Sunday, and they typically don't do directs on weekends.
They already said that reveals will be coming "closer to December." Why in the name of Palutena is anyone still expecting something soon.

I feel like if Sakurai himself came to this thread and said "this is the exact date we will get new information out" people would still be like "Yo, they are having a tournament next week. Smash Ultimate newcomer reveal???"

EDIT: Echo discussion still going strong I see.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I kinda feel like not that many people would be upset by it outside of some of the core Smash fans on the internet, TBH. Most people would probably view Echo DLC as being similar to costume swap/model swap DLC, which many games already offer. Sure, they have some stats tweaked and extra effects, but you're only gonna notice that stuff majorly if you're trying to play the game at high level play.

Not to mention it's not like they'd take away time from unique fighters, as the core concept of an Echo is reusing a bunch of assets to create a new character quickly rather than starting from scratch. Maybe they could make a unique DLC newcomer and bundle an Echo of them with them?

I personally think Echo DLC would be pretty harmless, but that's just my opinion. I fully recognize and respect that my opinion isn't a popular one, lol.
If they charge an Echo character at $3.99 there will be riots.

But what do you guys think are possible DLC characters?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
They already said that reveals will be coming "closer to December." Why in the name of Palutena is anyone still expecting something soon.

I feel like if Sakurai himself came to this thread and said "this is the exact date we will get new information out" people would still be like "Yo, they are having a tournament next week. Smash Ultimate newcomer reveal???"

People are just hyped; is it too hard to let them have their fun and speculate?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

At the very least, Rex & Pyra and an ARMS rep could be DLC since they weren’t in the final initialized base roster of 2015.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
People are just hyped; is it too hard to let them have their fun and speculate?
Speculative talk is the work of demons, and none of it is allowed in my wholesome discussion forum thread about a game that comes out in 4 months and some change.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Wasn’t it a PR move to just really say “Stay Stuned”? I think we might get one reveal during the summer, since I can’t imagine cramming all the reveals into 2 month period (that would be pretty hype though).

I mean if we start getting reveals by Fall at the minimum then there’s not much point in being here until October or something.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Alright you guys, let me ask about a scenario.

Is it possible we might get a Retro or Dormant IP character as DLC?

Like Mach Rider, Andy from Advance Wars, Ayumi.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Alright you guys, let me ask about a scenario.

Is it possible we might get a Retro or Dormant IP character as DLC?

Like Mach Rider, Andy from Advance Wars, Ayumi.
Doubtful. DLC characters need to be marketable to sell well, to make them worth the companies' investment spent. That's why all the DLC in Smash 4 can be broken down into 3 categories:
- Fan Favorite Veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy)
- Third Party Icons (Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta)
- Advertising (Corrin)

D

Deleted member

Anyone that is a popular Nintendo character that debuted or became relevant AFTER the First Project Proposal was finished in 2015 (Rex and Springman)

Either that, or any Third Party if Smash 4's DLC is any indication.

Roberk

Smash Champion
As long as Echoes are super cheap compared to unique characters, I don't see why not. As long as it's not a character that has actual potential, just the ones that would be very hard to make unique. $1-2 for costumes/alts/stages, $2 for Echoes, and $5-7 for unique characters (all depending on quality and demand.)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

My gut is telling disconfirm day characters to please fans.

Don’t know why, but I just feel it for some reason.

(As well as Spring Man, Rex and Pyra and a new Pokémon are in the running)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Not much. It's well known at this point that they don't start on DLC until after the game is pretty much finished, and it takes an absurd amount of time to work on an entirely new character, I would be happy if they didn't and spent more time making other kinds of DLC.

I'm cool with costumes and costumes with stats echo fighters. If they're released in $5 packs, (including echo fighters... I'm not buying them one by one), then I can see it going well.

"But costumes can change the shape of the characters!!!!!!!!"
...option to turn them off/make them local only if used online? :U
...just don't use them in important matches?

I'm going to buy the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu costume pack when they inevitably make it.
I will also probably buy a pack of echo fighters if there's enough in the pack to justify the cost to me.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
I don't know if this was discussed recently, but was it known that Smash would be at EVO before the "Old Man" leak? I feel like there's still hope for that.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Dark Samus as her own thing is without a doubt the best option. But considering the lack of love in the last game (her prime chance to get in, if you will), I doubt the effort will be put into making her unique in this one. If I'm wrong, I'll be ecstatic!

Otherwise, the fact she is structurally the same as Samus means she could easily become a clone or echo, and as someone who likes the character, that'd be OK with me.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I really hope more tracks get the remix treatment this time, all the ones we've gotten on the website are fantastic. Personally, I'd like to see this one...

That song is not allowed to be remixed...it’s too precious to be messed with
Was referring specifically to Corrin's Smash 4 inclusion, who knows how it would be now if Corrin wasn't in 4; Corrin would certainly be in the conversation, but the "too many Fire Emblem characters/anime swordfighters" feeling would have still persisted without Corrin in Smash 4 and Corrin would have a lot more competition for a slot (when for the Smash 4 DLC newcomer promotion pick the only competition was the more difficult-to-implement Elma). If Sakurai is still following the Smash 4 trend of focusing on what's "relevant" for newcomers I think Corrin would still have a good shot, but if he was focusing more on what's most popular I think Corrin's chances would have been a lot more shaky.
I was also referring to Corrin only, said they due to the two genders the avatar has, and the only competition for them I could think of FE wise would be Alm and/or Celica

Because we can’t wait for more anything due to the hype Smash contains...let us go crazy

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Personally when it comes to an alt or an echo I'd rather echose be reserved for actually different characters, and alts be reserved for different forms of the same character.

Ex 1. Meta Ridley is a good alt as it is just Ridley with cybernetic enhancements/armor/etc. Doctor Mario is a bad seperate character because it's Mario in a Doctor suit.

Ex 2. Lucina & Dark Pit are good echoes because they are different characters but can fight similarly. Alph is a bad alt because he is a different character than Olimar and deserves his own slot.

There are two, realitively obvious esxceptions to this. I don't expect all 7 Koopa Kids to be their own character so they work better as alts. Samus and Zero Suit work fine because they are the same character using a different arsenal and thus moveset.
The Zelda characters (Zelda/Shiek and the Links) are in a different boat since they are all technically not the same character because timelines etc. I'm personally not a fan of 3 Links though lol.

Anyway just my opinion on Echoes vs. Alts! I like alts I'd just rather not see characters be forced into them now that we have the Echo classification (looking at Spring Man and Ribbon Girl for dlc).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Am I the odd one out in preferring Twintelle for an ARMS rep? Her ARMS are her hair, and she still has human arms, so there’s a lot more uniqueness potential than most of the others, who are already unique in themselves

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Am I the odd one out in preferring Twintelle for an ARMS rep? Her ARMS are her hair, and she still has human arms, so there’s a lot more uniqueness potential than most of the others, who are already unique in themselves
I mean, I'd prefer Min Min, but main characters get priority at the end of the day.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If they're worth putting into Smash...
They're worth putting in as a conplete character.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The fact I didn't come to mind when you thought of Smashboards Twintelle supporters breaks my heart.

I will admit I haven't been as outspoken about her though so that makes sense. I'd die for her to get in, she's technically my most wanted but for the sake of realism she's my second most wanted. I just doubt we'll even get an ARMS rep for base and Spring Man will most likely be the only rep for dlc (possibly with a Ribbon Girl Echo).

From one Twintelle fan to another, her best bet is Spring Man sneaks into the base roster somehow and fan demand/Sakurai waifu love gets her in as dlc. As much as I can dream, I'm not counting on it :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No. I like her design best as well. Far better than Spring Man's. So that's my first and utmost reason. Don't know anything about her abilities.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If I had to pick a preference for someone to get in it would be Twintelle, but... it'll probably be springboi or thegirlone

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am a big Min Min fan, but if you aint the face of the franchise, you aint making it into Smash before him.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
As much as i want Dr Coyle over any arms characters the main character always comes first

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
If they're worth putting into Smash...
They're worth putting in as a conplete character.
That's not how it works in the real world though. Plenty of "worth it" characters haven't made it yet, and some of the characters who are in aren't "worth it", depending on your definitions. One of the great things about Smash is the characters who don't "deserve" their spots getting a shot in the limelight.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel exactly the same way, she’s also extremely popular so that really does help her. Honestly out of all the ARMS characters I’d want her the most.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's not how it works in the real world though. Plenty of "worth it" characters haven't made it yet, and some of the characters who are in aren't "worth it", depending on your definitions. One of the great things about Smash is the characters who don't "deserve" their spots getting a shot in the limelight.
Yeah, and those specific characters that should be changed so that they are substantial and unique and the characters that aren't in that should be in should be added with the respect they deserve.

I'm not talking about "who deserves or doesn't deserve" to be in Smash. I'm saying if you're going to put a character in, go through the effort of putting them in, in a way that doesn't ignore their series, personality, or abilities.

Staarih

Smash Master
Personally when it comes to an alt or an echo I'd rather echose be reserved for actually different characters, and alts be reserved for different forms of the same character.
This is where I'm at as well, which is why discussion about Echoes and costumes always makes me all sorts of confused lol. I mean, I get stuff like Meta Ridley and gender differences as alts as they're still the same character (and I guess I'd shove Koopalings in the "ok"-pile too). Different character "costumes" are essentially separated into Echoes now, which I also get... But then we have Mario dressed as a doctor which is not a costume, and an actual distinctive character like Alph who is a costume. Of course I know it all has to do with the tech and stats and all that, and development times have been different between the games with different views and decisions on things etc etc, but my OCD is all over the place haha! I wonder how I'm gonna wrap my head around all this if we get even more costume/Echo variants.

I love Twintelle, but I'd rather the first ARMS rep be a character with, well, "arms", to represent the style and mechanics. Not that using hair would be too drastic, but still. I'm also all about adding the "poster boy" of a series first for some reason. Some may think Spring Man is a boring choice, but springy arms in themselves would be a new take in Smash, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom