• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Regardless, if we got no "retro reps", would anyone care? There were a notable amount of people who were disappointed when various characters were disconfirmed as ATs, whether in Smash 4 or Ultimate, but I can't see anywhere near the same level of disappointment happening if we get no "retro reps" for Ultimate.
I would care. Personally, I think retros are one of the best kinds of newcomers. In terms of speculation, it personally excites me on which classic Nintendo game protagonist from the 80s and 90s will Sakurai bring back to attention via playable character. Retro newcomers like Lip, Prince Sable, and Excitebiker all bring a distinct flavor of personality, characterization, and moveset potential that are not present in Ultimate's current cast of characters. Retros have so much to pull from that I find it hard to believe Sakurai will stop the retro 'tradition', in the same way I find it hard to believe that no Pokemon newcomer will be added in this game. Why stop digging the goldmine of unique retro candidates now?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
He also doesn't fight anything like Ryu......the people who "leak" that Heihachi will be a Ryu Echo should have their "leaking" licenses confiscated.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Since transformation Final Smashes are gone, you know what I'd really like to get back from Brawl?

Seriously, I don't think there's ever been a Final Smash more fun to use than this one. Since Ness and Lucas are getting back their old Final Smash, I hope this one will be brought back as well.
YES, ALL MY YES. It should definitely come back along Lucario's Mega Evolution.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I would care. Personally, I think retros are one of the best kinds of newcomers. In terms of speculation, it personally excites me on which classic Nintendo game protagonist from the 80s and 90s will Sakurai bring back to attention via playable character. Retro newcomers like Lip, Prince Sable, and Excitebiker all bring a distinct flavor of personality, characterization, and moveset potential that are not present in Ultimate's current cast of characters. Retros have so much to pull from that I find it hard to believe Sakurai will stop the retro 'tradition', in the same way I find it hard to believe that no Pokemon newcomer will be added in this game. Why stop digging the goldmine of unique retro candidates now?
As a big retro enthusiast. I'd also love some more retro reps. like Urban Champion. And the Retro Reps are always the ones that shock, and excite me the most.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Something I noticed as I was randomly searching through articles/interviews with Sakurai. I mentioned some time ago that I felt we wouldn't be getting another Smash for a reasonable amount of time after this one is finished. Well, guess what?

View attachment 153596

The last line of this interview or this interaction with Sakurai (whatever you'd call it I guess), he himself seems to think he's taking an actual break after this one.

I respect this. I myself wouldn't be surprised if this was our Smash game for close to the next 5-10 years to be completely honest. 5 years may even be too short of a time, considering when previous Smash games have come out.

Hopefully this means good things for us in terms of content though. I've considered the potential for this game to have already shown the base roster. I myself wouldn't be butt blasted over it but...I can't say the same for the rest of the fanbase. :estatic:
I’m glad that he’s taking a break, but I hope it doesn’t mean that there’s no DLC.

I need me Rex/Pyra and Spring Man.

D

Deleted member

GUYS GUYS.

Remember when everyone laughed at Vergeben for him stating that Base Goku and Base Vegeta were playable in DBFighterZ?

GUESS WHAT?

Another point for Vergeben's credibility. So im only getting more confident in Simon.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This. Also retro games offer a lot, in terms of how unique character designs can be, just like new franchises and games.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Retro characters are basically Smash original characters due to having little source material to use.
This ofen leads to pretty unique and out-there movesets, which is always welcome in Smash.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Off topic, but this is a very interesting interview that I just found about Dillon and it sounds pretty depressing.
https://kotaku.com/the-makers-of-nintendos-latest-hidden-gem-worry-people-1827687012
Honestly, it would be a shame if Dillon went the way of Chibi-Robo just because his game did not sell. It's not even Dillon's fault that his games are not that well known, as not only is the 3DS on the way out, but Nintendo didn't do anything to advertise Dead Heat Brakers.
I fear that WarioWare Gold will follow the same fate.
Warioware Gold is at least being advertised, so unless the game doesn't hit the mark for fans it should do a lot better then Dead Heat Breakers.

Dead Heat Breakers is really unfortunate since it not only had those factors you mentioned going against it, it also got restricted as a Digital-only title for the US (which at that price and data cost, probably deterred some buyers) and the 3DS eshop doesn't really lend itself well to pushing larger scale games like it. Unless it sold itself on good word of mouth it was pretty much screwed over by the environment it was released in, which is a shame because it is (at least imo) the best game the franchise has had.

Still, regardless of that, I hope that it at least reaches the mark that Nintendo is looking for. It may not do gangbusters, but as long as it does well enough to continue that would make me happy for the franchise.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
To me, it's less exciting if I was able to guess every character.

Like, YEAH. I wanted Little Mac in Smash 4, and that's who I play... but I NEVER would have suggested or even thought of Wii Fit Trainer. It keeps me EXCITED for new things!
"Yes, hello, pizza delivery man! I specifically ordered pizza, but thanks for bringing me this bag of sandwiches instead! I love surprises, even if it's not what I'm hungry for, or what I'll eat!"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
GUYS GUYS.

Remember when everyone laughed at Vergeben for him stating that Base Goku and Base Vegeta were playable in DBFighterZ?

GUESS WHAT?

Another point for Vergeben's credibility. So im only getting more confident in Simon.
I believe this was stated already as a point if credibility. Probably through datamining.

Some blew it off as "likely" but nah he's got some kind of Intel, likely at Bandai-Namco. He also might have dated info though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My only problem with Heihachi is....

He's just not who I'd want if we got a Tekken rep personally.

Give me Yoshimitsu, then you're repping both Bamco fighters in one blow.

?????????????

Smash Master
"Yes, hello, pizza delivery man! I specifically ordered pizza, but thanks for bringing me this bag of sandwiches instead! I love surprises, even if it's not what I'm hungry for, or what I'll eat!"
Nah, see...

I also GOT Little Mac, so it’s like I got the pizza, AND a nice bag of sandwiches in addition!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
GUYS GUYS.

GUESS WHAT?

Actually this is old news, the game got datamined a while ago. After this the next DLC characters will be
Super 17 and Cooler iirc
. Also people laughed Verge's DBFZ stuff because he got caught backpedalling hard and editted his posts, he claimed Hit was gonna be DLC but then Hit got revealed as a base character iirc

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Huh. Apparently Palutena's model has been updated.

It has indeed.
I wonder if more of this kind of thing will happen as the months go on.

"Yeah, I know we showed you the characters already... but not really."

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You know who else was in Tekken that could potentially be in Smash Ultimate?

Noctis
You appear to have misspelled "Geese".

...Then again, maybe it's better if we didn't get another counter-heavy character.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
GUYS GUYS.

GUESS WHAT?

bubble-objection.gif

Sorry, but that's really not a point for Vergeben's credibility. The DBFZ community has known about Base Goku and Vegeta for a long time. They were leaked, like, a couple weeks after the game came out. All the DBFZ DLC characters were.

If you look up "dbfz datamine" on YouTube, you'll find videos from months ago talking about Base Goku and Vegeta.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
nah breh you want retro reps cause you put money on the line

Wambo

Smash Ace
Off topic, but this is a very interesting interview that I just found about Dillon and it sounds pretty depressing.
https://kotaku.com/the-makers-of-nintendos-latest-hidden-gem-worry-people-1827687012
Honestly, it would be a shame if Dillon went the way of Chibi-Robo just because his game did not sell. It's not even Dillon's fault that his games are not that well known, as not only is the 3DS on the way out, but Nintendo didn't do anything to advertise Dead Heat Brakers.
I fear that WarioWare Gold will follow the same fate.
Honestly, it's Nintendo's own damn fault for not evolving their own IPs (Wario Ware) or creating something that looks interesting enough to at least rent.

I'm sure WarioWare Gold will do fine, but now is the time for it to grow into something more.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oof...

Even if that is the case, Vergeben did have a lot of his predictions for Smash at least right so far, so let’s just see where this goes nevertheless?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Verge got lucky.

Too much history of backpedaling and being shady with what he's saying for me to trust him.

I feel bad for Belmont supporters, because I really don't think he's coming at this rate and now they're in this ''We're practically in, boys and girls!" state of mind and it's all Verge's fault.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
This is more like ordering a pepperoni pizza and one of the slices has something else replacing a single one of the pepperonis. It might be better than the pepperonis, or you might not like it but you can still enjoy the rest of the pizza.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, it's Nintendo's own damn fault for not evolving their own IPs (Wario Ware) or creating something that looks interesting enough to at least rent.

I'm sure WarioWare Gold will do fine, but now is the time for it to grow into something more.
Naaaah, it's marketing, Nintendo has been known to have lots of neat ideas and concepts not many other games even try to have but barely anyone knows them, plus, people were incredibly excited to see a traditional Warioware again. Dillon and Chibi Robo just couldn't sell, the former's also pretty damn repetitive according to people who play the games, myself included. Plus the framerate chugged in one of it's trailers during gameplay so that's always a bad sign

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
GUYS GUYS.

GUESS WHAT?

Do you get a tax break when you have enough versions of the main characters in a Japanese fighting game? Is that why they brought Dr. Mario and Young Link back?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
not evolving their own IPs (Wario Ware) or creating something that looks interesting enough to at least rent.
Okay dude.

If you're implying Dillon's Rolling Western is bad, we're gonna have a problem because that's some **** tier taste.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oof...

Even if that is the case, Vergeben did have a lot of his predictions for Smash at least right so far, so let’s just see where this goes nevertheless?
If you want my opinion on the matter, I think Vergeben is 100% full of ****.

He got lucky guessing Snake. And Ridley? Come on. Everyone tries to leak Ridley. It makes the hopeful, blind Ridley fans believe any leak just because they hope that now is the time. The fact that he actually got in this time is not a point for Vergeben's credibility.

Vergeben doesn't have any actual insider information on Smash.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Huh. Apparently Palutena's model has been updated.

Not too much of a difference...especially since she’s what a goddess other than Viridi should desire to be like
GUYS GUYS.

GUESS WHAT?

Didn’t even know he talked about Base Goku and Vegeta...cool

D

Deleted member

View attachment 153599

Sorry, but that's really not a point for Vergeben's credibility. The DBFZ community has known about Base Goku and Vegeta for a long time. They were leaked, like, a couple weeks after the game came out. All the DBFZ DLC characters were.

If you look up "dbfz datamine" on YouTube, you'll find videos from months ago talking about Base Goku and Vegeta.
Question: When did the dataminers discovered Base Goku and Vegeta?

Because from what i have seen, Vergeben predicted Base Goku and Base Vegeta WAAAAAAY before any of these dataminers even moved a finger.

And just to be sure that he didn't edit that later, i went back and user the Internet Wayback Machine. The only difference is that he called them "regular" instead of "base"

https://web.archive.org/web/2017111...eddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7c9n8i/leakileaks/

I quote:

Vergeben said:
Regular Goku (it was noted to me that he does use the Spriit Bomb), and Regular Vegeta.
You can clearly see in the image i Posted, that Base Goku uses the Spirit Bomb just like Vergeben stated. Oh and he also stated that the game was beign ported to the Switch but you are just gonna downplay that with "MUH LUCKY GUESSES"

Oh and also predicted Resident Evil 2 Remake, in third person:

Vergeben said:
It is a third-person game. You should finally see something from it next year if they don't put something out around the very end of the year, but I'm hearing next year.
The rest seems to be innacuarte, but you can't tell these 2 things are just "lucky guesses".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom