• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Dixie Kong from Donkey kong is another Fighter that I have seen. I have seen her model and 4-5 moves. I am pretty sure that she has one of the biggest double jumps of all the fighters (like Mewtwo but less round). One of her Special is her shooting a bubble gum with a plastic gun and the gum does not damage but slows down enemies for sometimes. Her Up Special is her blowing a bubble gum and floating into the sky for sometimes, the bubble can be destroyed. I have seen two of her Smash Attacks one is her smashing a guitar to the ground the other one is her swinging her ponytail to the ground left and right multiple times. She also grabs other fighters with her ponytail. I heard rumors saying that she can float with her ponytail if you keep pressing the Jump Button.
Stuff like this annoys me. Why go through all this effort just to regurgitate dumb ideas that are already circling around the fandom? Show some creativity, at least. Shoehorning a guitar into Dixie's moveset just to differentiate her from Diddy is just not the way Sakurai has ever approached character design.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Your reaction if Impa gets in with a Hyrule Warriors style moveset?
I'd be over the moon with joy since Hyrule Warriors style Impa is my most wanted version of her, I'd be over Pluto if she also came with Naginata instead of her Greatsword cause flame dragon, and near Omni-directional blade would be awesome.
I consent, Viridi has a really good chance of being playable, she is the most represented NPC in Smash 4 next to Chrom.
  • She had a Trophy and appeared in "Reset Bomb Forest" in the 3DS version
  • She had a lot of voice lines in Palutena's guidance (which probably is returning)
  • She got a Mii costume
  • She is popular in Japan
  • Sakurai created her
  • Palutena has a Pallette-swap based on her
Sounds good, I'm personally hoping for Phosphora, also, considering we haven't seen her assist trophy yet it's possible for to get in. Although Sakurai brought in two Kid Icarus newcomers last game, and Kid Icarus is his baby, what if he does it again and brings in Viridi, and Phosphora as a sort of themed rivalry for Pit and Palutena?

Wambo

Smash Ace
Or...here’s a crazy idea...all Nintendo character stay (with the logic of another game not coming out for a long Time was legit, we wouldn’t have gotten Lucas twice, nor would Snake be back even after the Konami situation and MGS ending, etc.)
Are you saying what you want or what you think'll happen? The Switch isn't going anywhere for a long time, and unless they release another Smash on the same console (something that has never happened before), they'll most likely create a brand-new engine for the next Smash game and axe a lot of characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like these games, but there's just better characters to add. Palutena and another Kid Icarus Uprising rep make more sense to me, though I can imagine that everyone except Pit will be axed in the next Smash game since there's not gonna be another Kid Icarus game for a long time, according to Sakurai.
I don't think we'll get to a point where Palutena gets cut. Kid Icarus is known as Palutena's Mirror in Japan, so it'd be like cutting Zelda. I couldn't see a reboot having less than forty characters anyway, so Palutena would probably be fine.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
I imagine that with DLC, Sakurai has some kind of idea who the first characters he'll be doing for DLC is.

As in, Spring Man and Rex & Pyra, I can envision him seeing them and bemoaning the fact that he finalised the project proposal so early. XD

Not saying they're in development yet, though.
I understand that. Any leak talking about considered or even planned DLC is given a pass, however hesitant I may be. The "leak" mentioned definite DLC being in development, which is cause to send it to the graveyard.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'd be over the moon with joy since Hyrule Warriors style Impa is my most wanted version of her, I'd be over Pluto if she also came with Naginata instead of her Greatsword cause flame dragon, and near Omni-directional blade would be awesome.

Sounds good, I'm personally hoping for Phosphora, also, considering we haven't seen her assist trophy yet it's possible for to get in. Although Sakurai brought in two Kid Icarus newcomers last game, and Kid Icarus is his baby, what if he does it again and brings in Viridi, and Phosphora as a sort of themed rivalry for Pit and Palutena?
Only problem with that idea is Dark Pit, a member of the Forces of Nature who’s already playable in Smash, and is also more important to Uprising than Phosphora is (also Magnus for that matter). Would be weird to have a KI rivalry without the only living rival Pit has.
Are you saying what you want or what you think'll happen? The Switch isn't going anywhere for a long time, and unless they release another Smash on the same console (something that has never happened before), they'll most likely create a brand-new engine for the next Smash game and axe a lot of characters.
I’m saying it would make no sense to cut out any of the Nintendo characters who get to smash, regardless of whether or not it would be a reboot (for both Ultimate and Smash 6/7/Ultimate port)...we don’t need to deal with another MvCI situation, which would be even worse than that without any actual reason to cut many popular stars
I don't think we'll get to a point where Palutena gets cut. Kid Icarus is known as Palutena's Mirror in Japan, so it'd be like cutting Zelda. I couldn't see a reboot having less than forty characters anyway, so Palutena would probably be fine.
Inb4 both Palutena and Zelda get cut cause luls

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I agree that Viridi is probably the most likely candidate for another KI rep. However, you never know when it comes to Sakurai. For all we know, it could be someone like Magnus, and his excuse is "I wanted to have all three of the game's playable characters" (come to think of it, that would probably boost Bandanna Dee's chances if that happened). But yeah, overall, Viridi is the prime candidate. A staff based fighter like Palutena, who could potentially make use of the Forces of Nature as part of the moveset.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I agree that Viridi is probably the most likely candidate for another KI rep. However, you never know when it comes to Sakurai. For all we know, it could be someone like Magnus, and his excuse is "I wanted to have all three of the game's playable characters" (come to think of it, that would probably boost Bandanna Dee's chances if that happened). But yeah, overall, Viridi is the prime candidate. A staff based fighter like Palutena, who could potentially make use of the Forces of Nature as part of the moveset.
And her Reset Bombs could be used as an instant ko final smash...maybe it could even give all points to her just to prove how mighty she is

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Palutena and Zelda could get cut if they base a reboot around the main protagonists only. One character from each series, thus Palutena and Zelda would end up getting cut.

Otherwise, I think Palutena is a much more likely cut than Zelda. Though I wouldn't call anyone safe aside from the starting eight from Smash 64 when it comes to a possible reboot.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
I imagine that with DLC, Sakurai has some kind of idea who the first characters he'll be doing for DLC is.

As in, Spring Man and Rex & Pyra, I can envision him seeing them and bemoaning the fact that he finalised the project proposal so early. XD

Not saying they're in development yet, though.
I can also see Sakurai and Intelligent Systems also bemoaning after seeing how popular Lyn became.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Brawl Snake is a wonder of game balancing, so many things were absurd about him, and there were still at least four other characters more busted than him.

I heard a claim before about how Brawl Snake was originally as big as Ganondorf and had his weight, power, and reach to account for it, then they shrunk him late in development but without actually touching any of his stats, resulting in his ridiculous weight, power, and far disjointed hitboxes. Of course there's no actual source for that being true and I think people got it from his old original Brawl render where he looked bigger, alongside just trying to rationalize how Snake could be heavier, stronger, and have bigger hitboxes than Ganondorf.
as weird and surprising as that was to read, its also the ONLY reasonable reason for his uptilt to be that absurd. that move was one of the best normals in fighting game history.
we will get a reveal of something at evo. its the new hotness. tekken 7 did reveals there, so did capcom games, blaze blue cross tag battle and dbfz. if nintendo plans to make a splash at av=n event they've rather embraced these last few years. i'd expect a third party reveal. fighting game audience and chance to shine in the spotlight and hundreds of thousands of twitch views. my hope is sepiroth. my realistic pick is elma, rex, or k king k. tho i dont tihnk king k would bring the hype in a non-Nintendo centered crowd and event. dont @ me.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Hey guys check out this super cool leak i found

Hello, I can share some info about the new Super Smash Bros. game for you. Obvious but english is not my main language so sorry if I can't write correct. I have info about the new fighters. The thing is that maybe I don't know about all the fighters and there are some newcomers that are just rumors in the office and I have no way to know if they are real or not, but I will share it since it there was some rumors proven real more early in the development.

A Newcomer that I can 100% confirm right now is Geno from Super Mario RPG and is representing the Super Mario series but Square Enix as well.
I have seen some moves but not all: I know that his Side Special is a Beam coming from his Arm that open from his elbow and that his Normal Special is a Disc that He can throw upward or downward too. His Down Specials seems to be a reflecting move or a shield using a rainbow star (I don't really know for sure). I think his Up Special seems to be multiple lazer that he shoots downward. His Finals Smash is him transforming into a cannon and shooting at the aiming zone. He uses headbutt for a lot of his moves and there is 1 move where he takes his arm with his other arm to attack. Also, I have seen a 3D Model for Mallow but I have not seen it in the game for now (Assist Trophy?).

I will post more information with other posts. Keep looking if you want to know. I will not only talk about fighters

Dixie Kong from Donkey kong is another Fighter that I have seen. I have seen her model and 4-5 moves. I am pretty sure that she has one of the biggest double jumps of all the fighters (like Mewtwo but less round). One of her Special is her shooting a bubble gum with a plastic gun and the gum does not damage but slows down enemies for sometimes. Her Up Special is her blowing a bubble gum and floating into the sky for sometimes, the bubble can be destroyed. I have seen two of her Smash Attacks one is her smashing a guitar to the ground the other one is her swinging her ponytail to the ground left and right multiple times. She also grabs other fighters with her ponytail. I heard rumors saying that she can float with her ponytail if you keep pressing the Jump Button.

Elma from Xenoblade Chronicle X is one of the newcomers I have seen almost no info. All I know is that she has two forms: a Human form and a Mech form. While in Mech Form she can fly if you press the jump button. I am pretty sure that she can only take some damage in mech form (50%?) before destroying the mech and not being able to return into that form for the time shes alive. She can shoot with a gun in her mech and form and kicks a lot in human form.

I can also pretty much confirm Mimikyu is the new Pokémon newcomer. I have seen the most moves for her. Her Normal Special is a unique move (Mimic) where can make a ghost looking clone of a close fighter and put it in front of Mimikyu. The clone will move with Mimikyu and the next move that Mimikyu will try to do (Normal Attacks, Specials, Throws, Areal attacks, etc) will be the ghost looking clone doing the move from the character that got cloned. Mimikyu got a special effect where she is cannot be knock backed for the first move that hit her. After that, her heads fall down. You can put the head back up with charging bar with Down Special. When her head is up, she can retake the next hit without the knockback. Her up Special is her glowing with a pink sphere and going up. Her Side Special is her Wood Stick growing bigger and having a dark aura and slamming the stick in front of her doing it in the air crash her down. She uses her ghost claw in a lot of other moves. Very Floaty character, but slow on the ground.

The final Newcomer is just a rumor, but I believe it to be real. I heard a lot about Bandanna Waddle Dee from Kirby to be in Smash.
I also heard that there is already work for DLC right now. This rumor, however, seems to be more real since I have seen the series logo and some models. I,m pretty sure Spring man from ARMS, Rex from Xenoblade Chronicle X and Octoling as a Inkling ? are the DLC.

I heard that Spring Man will come out in Winter 2019, Rex in Spring 2019 and Octoling after E3 2019.

I will now talk about the Echo FIghters or ? FIghters

I am working with the Echo FIghters so i know them a lot more than the newcommers.
The last 3 ? Fighters are:

-Funky Kong for Donkey Kong
-Isabelle for Murabito
-and Ninten for Ness

All ? have the same moves but there is some difference with Knockback, damage and angle of Knockback.

Ninten has a big redesign like Roy for Smash for Wii U and 3DS (probably to make him different than Ness). He has a different colored hat and has a lot of Whiteb in his costume. His Shirt does not have Yellow in it and it looks more like White star on a black and blue shirt. He has 3 difference with Ness in their Specials. PK Thunder is a lot faster so more difficult to control, Pk Fire is angled Up if Ninten is on the ground and PSI Magnet is has a bigger protection.

Lucina has Tipper on a bigger part of her Sword but her Tipper does less knockback. Also, Her Specials seems to have more range than Marth's

Dark Pit 's Normal Special has a lot less curve in his arrow, but his Side Special seems to do a lot more Knockback than Pit's and go further.

Funky Kong Up Special seems to work a lot different than Donkey Kong's. His Up B is Funky Kong Spinning on his Surf Board. The Hitting part is down instead of Up like DK. When Funky Kong use Up Special on the ground, he just does a fast and powerful Surf Board Swing instead of spinning.

Daisy, the ? Fighter of Peach have only 2 specials different. Her Toad counterattack does no damage but Stun the enemy (Like Corrin's Normal Special) Also when using her Down Special, she has a chance to pull out The Freeze Item and the Beehive item instead of the Bob-Omb and Mr. Saturn.

Isabelle has a countdown on her Pocket and she loses the item when the countdown is finished (It is like a Clock on her Pocket Icon over her %). But the Projectile that she pockets is massively enhanced. She has only 1 Balloon on her Up Special, but she jumps instead of fluttering. She also cannot ride her Side Special but the explosion of the Rocket is bigger.

I have not seen a lot of new stages but I can say the ones I saw:

-Fountain of Dreams
-Yoshi Wool World
-Gamer
-Summit
-Pupupu Land from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
-Rainbow Road
-Rainbow Cruise
-Mute City from Super Smash Bros, for Nintendo 3DS
-Wii Fit Studio
-New Donk City from Super Mario Odyssey
-NLA (From Xenoblade Chronicle X)
-Throne Room (From Super Mario RPG)
-Saturn Valley (From Mother 2)

Begin the story

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of, Persona 5 for PS4 is $30 (PS3 version is $20) if you have Amazon Prime today. That's a pretty good deal.
Yep. I bought it myself for PS3 yesterday, and its arriving tomorrow. Can't wait~

Dang it, it’s still the crappy instrumental remix which doesn’t have the feeling of the original vocal song :(

It’s one of the few remixes I actively dislike
Was this remix used in some other game? Because this is different from the instrumental version of Snake Eater that was in Brawl.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
as weird and surprising as that was to read, its also the ONLY reasonable reason for his uptilt to be that absurd. that move was one of the best normals in fighting game history.
For as busted as his u-tilt was, I think his f-tilt was even more busted; 4 frame move that dealt 21% damage (also in a game where actual combos were rare), outreached Marth's sword, and was a kill move. And it seems his f-tilt got the harder nerf between the two in Ultimate's demo, with it now now "only" dealing 13% damage while u-tilt appears to be as strong and still having some decent horizontal reach (though being a demo of course any of these values could easily change by release).

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can also see Sakurai and Intelligent Systems also bemoaning after seeing how popular Lyn became.
It's almost like people become attached to the first main character of the first game they play in the series or something. :rolleyes:

(I know this is dumbing it down a lot. XD)

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Only problem with that idea is Dark Pit, a member of the Forces of Nature who’s already playable in Smash, and is also more important to Uprising than Phosphora is (also Magnus for that matter). Would be weird to have a KI rivalry without the only living rival Pit has
I know compare to Viridi, Phosphora is not as popular, but considering that her AT hasn't shown up yet, it still puts her in the same situation as Isabelle, Ashley, etc. Despite her admittedly stunted chances over other more likely KI reps.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Without spoilers, how far into each game are these stages?
  • Castle Siege
  • Fourside
  • Magicant
  • Orbital Gate Assault
  • Planet Zebes
  • Pyrosphere
  • Shadow Moses Island
Early game, mid game, or late game?
Asking because I want to make some graphs and haven't played the games these stages are from.
yes this means I haven't played Earthbound... I bought it on Virtual Console and never touched it like a game on a Steam sale. Feels bad.
Middleweight, then!
  • Castle Siege- Generic, represents wide array of FE scenarios
  • Fourside- Mid-game
  • Magicant- Early in Mother, very late in Earthbound
  • Orbital Gate Assault- late game
  • Planet Zebes- generic, represents whole planet
  • Pyrosphere- mid-late
  • Shadow Moses Island- first level

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Although Sakurai brought in two Kid Icarus newcomers last game, Kid Icarus is his baby
Actually Kid Icarus is Toru Osawa's baby. It's like if I were to say Metroid is Retro Studio's baby because of Metroid Prime, (8 years after Super Metroid) Yoshio Sakamoto will always be the father of Metroid. Every creator that started it first and with great reputation will always be remembered.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know compare to Viridi, Phosphora is not as popular, but considering that her AT hasn't shown up yet, it still puts her in the same situation as Isabelle, Ashley, etc. Despite her admittedly stunted chances over other more likely KI reps.
On the bright side, she has more of a chance than all the unimportant, only needed once, and most of the dead characters in Kid Icarus (Hades, Medusa, and maybe Pandora if she’s sadly dead are all above her) while Viridi ties with Hades as the top pick for the series, then Magnus is third which leads to Phosphora (practically nobody else has a chance in joining
Actually Kid Icarus is Toru Osawa's baby. It's like if I were to say Metroid is Retro Studio's baby because of Metroid Prime, (8 years after Super Metroid) Yoshio Sakamoto will always be the father of Metroid. Every creator that started it first and with great reputation will always be remembered.
Pit is Sakurai’s stepson and Palutena is his side piece (his wife and DeDeDe will never lose the top spot of main course)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's take a minute to appreciate that we are now at the stage that leaks can live for more than 3 days and can grow into their final stage, unrealistic expectations.

The ecosystem on the internet is beautiful to behold

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Have we got any updates on that leak that guessed the funko pops yet? Or are we still waiting on a direct announcement?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I understand that. Any leak talking about considered or even planned DLC is given a pass, however hesitant I may be. The "leak" mentioned definite DLC being in development, which is cause to send it to the graveyard.
Yeah I think unless some future leak in like october or something mentions DLC its probly phony, i say that because its possible they start talking about DLC plans closer to the very end of development, close to the release date. As of right now I doubt anything beyond sakurai possibly mulling over some DLC ideas in his head exists. nothing concrete someone could find out and leak.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
*Ladder climbing intensifies*

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like to think that leaks become more likely the closer the game is to being released.

And also datamining, but afaik no one’s been able to datamine the event-only demos cause they of course don’t have access.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
On the bright side, she has more of a chance than all the unimportant, only needed once, and most of the dead characters in Kid Icarus (Hades, Medusa, and maybe Pandora if she’s sadly dead are all above her) while Viridi ties with Hades as the top pick for the series, then Magnus is third which leads to Phosphora (practically nobody else has a chance in joining
Even if Viridi has a "chance" the series is kinda in a ceasing department, and I don't expect a Kid Icarus newcomer ever again; as much as I hate to say it. If a new KI game is bound to announce which I doubt, then of course she might be the next candidate; well, maybe Medusa as well due to her being a classic villain, but the issue is she's not a good classic villain, more to say a boring character at best. The other two I don't ever see happening.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Have we got any updates on that leak that guessed the funko pops yet? Or are we still waiting on a direct announcement?

I made this video on it that got a lot of buzz on youtube so I've been following the leak closely.

As far as I know it isn't debunked, beyond the initial fact that it said some pretty wild and out there stuff and a few odd things that were known to be odd about it from the start like sonic mania plus being out before the direct and kirby star allies getting stuff shown (while the direct apparently has more info coming for those games).

So no i dont think its debunked but its still a wildly out there leak, at best I'd say it might be some real info mixed with some fake stuff to either throw Nintendo off or just get people talking. I really dont know what to make of it as it's "called" some stuff fairly accurately.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Y’know

Listening to it again, it’s actually not so bad! Would still have preferred vocals but I’d imagine copyright got in the way of that.

I guess I’m still a bit reeling from the awfulness of the Brawl version that I instinctively thought, “no vocals? Booo.” But it grew on me the more I listened to it!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If we ain't getting vocals then I'll gladly take this. Digging the especially explicit James Bond nod there in particular.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
HOLY **** THAT ****ING SONG IS SO JAMES BOND AND SO METAL GEAR AND SO SMASH BROTHERS AND SO PERFECT!!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Even if Viridi has a "chance" the series is kinda in a ceasing department, and I don't expect a Kid Icarus newcomer ever again; as much as I hate to say it. If a new KI game is bound to announce which I doubt, then of course she might be the next candidate; well, maybe Medusa as well due to her being a classic villain, but the issue is she's not a good classic villain, more to say a boring character at best. The other two I don't ever see happening.
Compared to series that are completed like :ultsnake::ultlittlemac: or cancelled/dead like :ultfalcon:, Kid Icarus has enough life for atleast one last character...being Viridi (since Smash is apart of the KI lore, Hades and Medusa are nearly impossible without some logical reason for them to be back, while Magnus isn’t as important of an Uprising character as the other two playable characters in Smash (sure you don’t see Virid physically in either game, but she’s more important than a majority of the characters and has we perfectly done 3D model practically ready to smash)
HOLY **** THAT ****ING SONG IS SO JAMES BOND AND SO METAL GEAR AND SO SMASH BROTHERS AND SO PERFECT!!
reminds me of a weirdly sexy fusion between James Bond and anime

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Sakurai is really going all out with representing the different IPs within Ultimate.

I wouldn't be surprised if Final Fantasy and Sonic the Hedgehog got actual new arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom