• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
His final smash is hiding and doing nothing, just like in Gamer from Game & Wario! Great for For Fun matches!
All jokes aside, 9-Volt could definitely make a very interesting an unique fighter.
9-volt + 18 volt. Somehow.
You mean Chrom? I could see him get in as yet another Echo honestly...
I wouldn't be surprised. Thinking about it, how long would that development cycle even be to add him in?
He's got a model already in Smash 4, and if he's an echo then there's no real moveset deliberating, right?
Out of possible echos, it seems to me that he'd be the most trivial to implement.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's definitely plausible. I mean the main reason that he is still on the table because for as many Final Smashes as they have shown, Robin was one of the characters are far as I'm aware hasn't been shown yet. If they had shown him having the same final smash I'd pretty much say that he was done, but since he hasn't...
I haven't seen Diddy's Final Smash either. But yes, Chrom is an excellent choice because he remained extremely popular, relevant, and he has a full 3D model already since Smash 4.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
you said it not me. (I also meant more specifically information wise, we know almost nothing other than E3)
Random question, I've heard very contradictory reports about the state of wave dashing, some people have said no wave anything, some people have said just wave landing, and some people have said wave landing and dashing. if someone could clear that up that would be great thanks
Just thought you meant generally back to where we were before E3. And yeah, I said it, Didn't know it would offend people. just tryna be funny. Anyway. yeah. Kinda do wish we could be more positive.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I haven't seen Diddy's Final Smash either. But yes, Chrom is an excellent choice because he remained extremely popular, relevant, and he has a full 3D model already since Smash 4.
I'm not a game developer but don't playable fighter models has to be more detailed with more intricate skeletons?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just thought you meant generally back to where we were before E3. And yeah, I said it, Didn't know it would offend people. just tryna be funny. Anyway. yeah. Kinda do wish we could be more positive.
I like positivity. Sometimes it feels like all people talk about is what's wrong with Smash or what's missing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say in terms of appearing in Smash already hurting chances: Only characters that are in the main area and can interact with the fighters are outright thrown out. It'd just be confusing to gameplay otherwise.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So guys, another question. I want you to recommend me some Switch games.

Right now, am having a BLAST with Breath of the Wild, Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors. But am looking for more. Cause eventually I will finish both BOTW and TF and HW alone cannot fulfill all my gaming needs on the Switch. Is there any game besides Oddysey that's as huge as these games that I missed out on? I exclude Odyssey for now because I know I cannot enjoy it as much as I did enjoy Mario 64 and Galaxy 1, so that'll hurt my overall experience.. but am open for any other suggestion.
Mario Tennis Aces and Splatoon 2

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I like to think that the characters who have as-of-yet unseen final smashes have pretty interesting final smashes. Interesting in that it would build hype somehow (say, Young Link does something Majora related, so they're gonna show that off at some other point), or it would potentially give something away (Robin's is unseen, right? So...)

It's why i'm banking on Peach Blossom not existing anymore.
Please.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I like positivity. Sometimes it feels like all people talk about is what's wrong with Smash or what's missing.
I agree! I just like to not dwell on what isn't here, and talk about what could be coming. and I honestly feel that's what Smashboards needs more of. That doesn't mean Shreks 100% Getting in, we can still be realistic but just shed some positivity on subjects.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

Right now, am having a BLAST with Breath of the Wild, Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors. But am looking for more. Cause eventually I will finish both BOTW and TF and HW alone cannot fulfill all my gaming needs on the Switch. Is there any game besides Oddysey that's as huge as these games that I missed out on? I exclude Odyssey for now because I know I cannot enjoy it as much as I did enjoy Mario 64 and Galaxy 1, so that'll hurt my overall experience.. but am open for any other suggestion.
I don’t know how you feel about RPGs, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will definitely take up your time. I’m up to 80 hours and I haven’t beaten the game or done much of the DLC for it. Your experience might be enhanced by playing the first one, but honestly XC2 is standalone so it could be your entry to the series.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm not a game developer but don't playable fighter models has to be more detailed with more intricate skeletons?
As a person who is looking into graphic design, I can confirm this. This is why Chrom’s model, despite not being playable, stick’s out like a sore thumb, because he skeleton is very intricate.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Mario Odyssey. It's such a fun experience. one of my favorite games of 2017.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like to think that the characters who have as-of-yet unseen final smashes have pretty interesting final smashes. Interesting in that it would build hype somehow (say, Young Link does something Majora related, so they're gonna show that off at some other point), or it would potentially give something away (Robin's is unseen, right? So...)

It's why i'm banking on Peach Blossom not existing anymore.
Please.
They could just give Young Link Toon Link's FS, it'd easy.

For Peach, it'd interesting to see what they would give her but I think her current one also suits her.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Hard to say, I'm not sure what Chrom's model from Smash 4 complexity wise. It would probably require someone to pull the model and look at it more closely and I have no skill in that area.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It is? Thanks for the heads up.
Actually yes, he actually uses the same skeleton as Marth, this is why typically in modding when using him as a skin he’s put over Marth and not Ike.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
As a person who is looking into graphic design, I can confirm this. This is why Chrom’s model, despite not being playable, stick’s out like a sore thumb, because he skeleton is very intricate.
And from what we've seen I'd say the Earthbound character models have an intricate enough skeleton to work, heck they could just use Lucas' or Ness' skeleton and put it onto their model.... that's what they do with Echos from the looks of it and i don't expect anything but echo material from the ones in the FSs.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Chrom has a full model in smash 4.
Chrom was planned to be playable at one time and then changed to Robin/Lucina instead, gematsu leak and sakurai interviews tell us this.
During Lucina and Robins reveal trailer Chrom is horribly teased at by being incapacitated and comments about getting his chance another day.
Robins final smash has not been shown yet for some reason.
Chrom is joked about being a "carbon copy" of ike on the palutena stage, implying if he was in the game he may have been intended to be an echo originally anyway instead of Lucina being another marth clone (melee roy).
Chrom got a Mii costume as DLC much like inklings/k rool/geno/ashley etc...
Ikes Chrom colored alt costume was missing from the demo.

He is, in my opinion, THE most likely echo fighter. Always shocked when i keep hearing Shadow and Dark Samus who I believe are simply unrevealed assist trophy characters as the "most likely echos", they COULD happen but seriously Chrom has so much going for him. It would almost be an apology from sakurai honestly as he treated his "almost playable" status as a total joke in smash4.

i'm also not a fire emblem fan really, i only played a couple of them and would want Lyn if anyone, I basically dont think fire emblem needs any more characters but for real Chrom has so much pointing towards him being playable this time.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
They could just give Young Link Toon Link's FS, it'd easy.
Well, of course they could, that's why I was talking about a what-if scenario as to the reason why some characters don't have their Final Smash's shown off. Haha. The could go the easy route but that's kinda boring to posit about.
Also about the Peach thing, I'm one of the people who thinks it's probably gonna change, but we'll see

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Any thoughts on this

(:ultrob::ultgnw::ultduckhunt: is somewhat not a valid arguement since he could present for the other stuff.)
I didn't even think about that! I'd be all for him being in here (after Mona of course).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm kinda hoping that Peach's final smash references her DS game where you manipulate her emotions.

One emotion is anger, and she gets so angry, she's surrounded in an actual aura of FIRE and can burn stuff all around her. I want THAT to get referenced.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
And from what we've seen I'd say the Earthbound character models have an intricate enough skeleton to work, heck they could just use Lucas' or Ness' skeleton and put it onto their model.... that's what they do with Echos from the looks of it and i don't expect anything but echo material from the ones in the FSs.
I mean it’s a little different in Chrom’s case because from what I know he was meant to be playable in the first place before being scrapped entirely due to his lack of defining traits (There are several things pointing towards this being the case based off the Gematsu Leak and interviews from Sakurai), and keep in mind the Earthbound characters due have much more simple designs so it would likely be easier for the team to make a new model from scratch, unlike Dunban who had relatively lower detail in both Smash 4 and Ultimate due to his more realistic character design. However I wouldn’t dismiss it entirely.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Chrom was planned to be playable at one time and then changed to Robin/Lucina instead, gematsu leak and sakurai interviews tell us this.
During Lucina and Robins reveal trailer Chrom is horribly teased at by being incapacitated and comments about getting his chance another day.
Chrom is joked about being a "carbon copy" of ike on the palutena stage, implying if he was in the game he may have been intended to be an echo originally anyway instead of Lucina being another marth clone (melee roy).

He is, in my opinion, THE most likely echo fighter. Always shocked when i keep hearing Shadow and Dark Samus who I believe are simply unrevealed assist trophy characters as the "most likely echos", they COULD happen but seriously Chrom has so much going for him. It would almost be an apology from sakurai honestly as he treated his "almost playable" status as a total joke in smash4.

i'm also not a fire emblem fan really, i only played a couple of them and would want Lyn if anyone, I basically dont think fire emblem needs any more characters but for real Chrom has so much pointing towards him being playable this time.
It was a funny joke. I'm a fan of Chrom and I laughed. It wasn't anything malicious.

Being the butt of a "could be playable but not" joke doesn't guarantee you an apology slot, ask Waluigi.

Don't get me wrong, Chrom would be cool but I don't think Chrom is a lock and I'm not 100% sold on him being an echo. ( Sakurai mentioned he sees him like a mix between Marth and Ike)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If anything the safest bet would be a neutral stance that it could go either way, Sakurai is unpredictable and he always does things that people don't expect of him. also you say Sakurai is huge on surprise reveals... what's more surprising than thinking someone is deconfirmed then a few months later BAMM... they're actually playable in the game.... NOBODY will see it coming.
I mean no that's literally less safe if you are hoping for the characters, better to be pleasantly surprised.

I'll fully admit I forgot about ROB and that is intresting. Wouldn't think of it as the rule though and more the exception.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well there's Splatoon 2, though if you want the most out of the single player you need to the Octo Expansion, there's the myriad of indie games that are improved by the portability factor, there's snipper clips if you want the best Switch exclusive Launch title, there's Sonic Mania plus coming soon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

You underrate Impa. But yes, Chrom is probably one of the more likely Echoes, and am fine with that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

You can grab Bayonetta 2, which comes with a free download of the first game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I myself actually forgot R. O. B. Was deconfirmed in Brawl as an enemy before being confirmed months later.
That was some prime bait and switch material there.

And gave us the false impression that there'd be a variety of Nintendo enemies when all we got was ROB squad, Bowser's goons and the Heartless.

Primids are good and all but where's the sense of crossover? You spend a level pursuing King DDD and he never sends his minions to slow you down? They're in story enough to rob Wario blind.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You underrate Impa. But yes, Chrom is probably one of the more likely Echoes, and am fine with that.
I wouldn’t say that Impa is as likely as say, Chrom, Dark Samus or Dixie Kong (Maybe even Shadow now that I think about it), but she’s up there.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
I mean no that's literally less safe if you are hoping for the characters, better to be pleasantly surprised.

I'll fully admit I forgot about ROB and that is intresting. Wouldn't think of it as the rule though and more the exception.
I'm not saying safe as in the favourtism market but let's say they end up deconfirmed, nobodies gonna be like HA, YOU'RE WRONG. or anything. while i am going to keep SLIGHT Optimism i'll mostly just stay neutral about it.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Impa is my other guess at most likely echo fighter.

legit the only two echos i think will happen when i make prediction rosters are chrom and impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You can grab Bayonetta 2, which comes with a free download of the first game.
I was honestly considering this! It's honestly so far the only game that really appeals to me. Probably won't play the indies, unless some of them are REALLY good.
Well there's Splatoon 2, though if you want the most out of the single player you need to the Octo Expansion, there's the myriad of indie games that are improved by the portability factor, there's snipper clips if you want the best Switch exclusive Launch title, there's Sonic Mania plus coming soon.
Splatoon doesn't really appeal to me, especially now you say that single player mode isn't all that big. And am not a Sonic fan, so not a big chance I'll ever play Mania.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'm very confident the reason they've done this is in response to the hate they got for Gen 5.

Think about it. It was the first game that had no other gens mons included until post game. Gen 5 was the Gen they finally tried moving the series forward. The whole story was a cut above all the others by a large margin for example.

The game recieved heavily backlash though and many Pokemon fans say it was the worst one. I think they are always pandering to other Gens, especially 1, because they don't want to risk pulling a Gen 5 again.

Its really sad because Gen 5 was my favorite. The constantly moving sprites were a little too pixelated at times and the games had flaws for sure, but for the first time they really tried breaking their mold.

Gen 7 did a fairly ok job of doing both but non-Gen 1 mons should have gotten Alolan forms. Also, its story with Lillie didn't age well with me personally. Gladion and Hau both have problems, too, but for Pokemon they weren't bad.

N is still the best Pokemon character don't @ me.

Pikachu Libre's inclusion in Ultimate speaks volumes if you ask me. Sakurai knows about it and he very well may have looked at Pokken as inspiration for Decidueye's moveset. He's done that with obscure fighting games for Sonic.

I don't know how the timeline matches up with that theory but its worth considering.
Pikachu Libre originated in ORAS not Pokken. Also the roster was made almost 2 years before Decidueye was added to Pokken.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That was some prime bait and switch material there.

And gave us the false impression that there'd be a variety of Nintendo enemies when all we got was ROB squad, Bowser's goons and the Heartless.

Primids are good and all but where's the sense of crossover? You spend a level pursuing King DDD and he never sends his minions to slow you down? They're in story enough to rob Wario blind.
According to files in the game you would have fought various Kirby enemies like Waddle Dees, Waddle Doos, and even Bonkers, but for unknown reasons it got scrapped, likely because of time constraints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom