• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
You talk about the incest like it contains all of Conquest's quality. What about the music, the graphics, the revised mechanics, the skills, the map design? All that makes a game a game?
The better the game is the more painful the fact that it loves propping up incest on it, a movie could be the most cinematic masterpiece the world has ever seen and it would still be drop dead garbage if it romanticized domestic abuse, in fact it would be even WORSE because they put so much effort behind it!

Maybe Fates is the most amazing FE game gameplay wise and it will never be topped but it doesn't matter when it's primarily a story driven game, and if the story loves incest why should I care? You can make a game the most videogamey videogame in history but it won't stop me from remembering how the main male character slips a potion into a lesbian's drink that has her fall in love with him in the japanese version. It won't stop me from remembering they decided lgbt version exclusivity where if you're a gay guy playing one version of the game you better fork over $40 for the other version, or the fact they made the only options a sadist and a child abuser. It won't stop me from remembering the pokemon style game versions and they STILL did "True ending" DLC for $20!

Yeah they're not every waking moment of the game but the fact that the game even has such disgustingly evil things in it unironically is a drawback more than any poorly coded game could ever accomplish! I WOULD rather play through Jeckyl and Hyde than play through some game that won't stop shoving pedophilia down my throat, any day! The most important thing about the video game that people forget about is the heart behind it, and if that heart is scumbag garbage than you might make one disgusting scumbag game.

Is it a crime to criticize the Video part of a Video game?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's Itsuki Aoi, right? He has a thread. With 4 Supporters. He's 159th place, along with Minecraft Steve.
So you're telling me a SMTxFE character has a non-zero amount of supporters.
Disappointed Jack Frost.jpg
SMTV save us all...

D

Deleted member

I know it's unrealistic, but if Celica and Alm get in, I really, REALLY, want them to play like a tag-team fighter that instantly switch in and out. I also demand they call out the other's name when they do so, purely so I can do this.

Imagine it:
CELICA! ALM! CELICA! ALM! CELICA! ALM!
Fire Emblem: Double Dash!!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Is that a bad thing?

I mean, yeah, that's true, but what's wrong with that?
"What's wrong with almost every newcomer being a person with different rainbow hair and a different kind of stick to hit people with?"

Nintendo anime people are ****ing boring. Every Fire Emblem character (and Link) has the exact same body type, except Ike, who has a bit of muscle on him to justify his club of a sword. The rest are skinny, ivory-skinned princesses who could all pass as one another with a dye job and a change of clothes. That said, it's just a consequence of the genre. Almost every Japanese, human-based RPG is going to have pretty, generic boys and girls as their main characters, and main characters are who get into Smash Bros. I'm thrilled with the visual difference between the two Newcomers this time around and I hope it keeps up.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I know it's unrealistic, but if Celica and Alm get in, I really, REALLY, want them to play like a tag-team fighter that instantly switch in and out. I also demand they call out the other's name when they do so, purely so I can do this.

Imagine it:
CELICA! ALM! CELICA! ALM! CELICA! ALM!
Like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

"CHARLOTTE! JONATHON! CHARLOTTE! JONATHON! CHARLOTTE! JONATHON!"

KMDP

Smash Legend
So you're telling me a SMTxFE character has a non-zero amount of supporters.
SMTV save us all...
There's not just Itsuki. There's also Tsubasa Oribe, in 97th place with 12 Supporters.

Haven't seen Jack Frost, unfortunately.

...Why does Tsubasa have more active supporters than Joker? Why haven't I seen Yu Narukami yet? ...*sigh*...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hate the anti-sword sentiment soooo much. I only play sword characters with the exception of Wolf, so please, let me have a new character too. I don't care what franchise they're from, if they have a sword, I'll play the **** out of them.
Meanwhile us shield fans are dying out here. I don't count the Links.....might as well count Galacta Knight at that point.

Also axes. Smash needs more axes.
At least the hammer users got the Icies back.

Wii Music
Other M
Star Fox Zero
Mario/Zelda CD games
Urban Champion
CD-I games weren't even made by Nintendo, but Philips and whatever that studio was that did the I.M. Meen cutscenes.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Team Rocket are in Pokémon Let's Go! I am hyped! :crazy::chuckle::estatic:

View attachment 152835

Meowth for Smash!
I said it before and I'll say it again.
Jessie's proportions makes her a bowling pin with legs.

The rest are skinny, ivory-skinned princesses who could all pass as one another with a dye job and a change of clothes. That said, it's just a consequence of the genre.
He's only 15, give him a rest. :4feroy:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

He's only 15, give him a rest. :4feroy:
Listen, he sat on the bench the entire playthrough, I think he's had more than enough time to rest.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Listen, he sat on the bench the entire playthrough, I think he's had more than enough time to rest.
Then give me Hector so people don't play the soy meme and get big mooscles.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Jesse, James and their Meowth are in Let's Go!

And with this. They now are Smash eligible for the future.

They join Toad, Isabelle and a few others as truly iconic Nintendo faces that are Smash eligible at this point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh tahnk God it's actually super nice seeing them in 3D in 2018 that helped calm me down, they were my favorites
Same here! Team Rocket are the reason I am still watching the anime. :awesome:

And she would have had similar body proportions as Leaf had Meowth got in Smash as a playable fighter with Team Rocket in the background like Pokémon Trainer. ;)

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
This is really racking my head right now wasn't there like an anime pokemon character that got a trophy in smash one time? Was it Ash? I looked up smash bros ash and it didn't show the trophy wha

I coulda sworn something like that existed, at first I thought it was jesse and james but now I genuinely don't know what it could be

KMDP

Smash Legend
I should fix that.
Be sure to check if there is a Yu Narukami thread before you make one, I might have just missed him. XD

I saw two Endless Ocean threads basically side-by-side, granted they were technically for different characters, but I conflated them anyway. :laugh:
This is really racking my head right now wasn't there like an anime pokemon character that got a trophy in smash one time? Was it Ash? I looked up smash bros ash and it didn't show the trophy wha

I coulda sworn something like that existed, at first I thought it was jesse and james but now I genuinely don't know what it could be
You're thinking of Misty, her Anime version got a trophy in Melee.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

They join Toad, Isabelle and a few others as truly iconic Nintendo faces that are Smash eligible at this point.
You know they showed up in the original Yellow, right?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Oh my! It's Fire Emblem time? I have something special for that!

View attachment 152827
Here's a picture of SoV Kirbys that I found online.

Even though I doubt it'll happen, if Alm or Celica get into Smash Ultimate, I hope their Kirby hats look something like this.
How is Sticker Star bad? I've heard it mentioned some times, but never played it. Searched it up, and it never got under 6 for a review according to Wikipedia. And a lot of them gave it 7.5 and such? I'm curious as I've heard it a few times.
Honestly, Sticker Star isn't really bad, per say, it's just very, very boring. And honestly, that's kinda worse than being bad.

Sticker Star is legitimately the only game I've ever regretted buying. I'm serious.
This literally made me wheeze laugh like you actually looked at my post where I said the game literally romanticizes and glorifies incest unironically and you typed that out. You did that. You used your hands and typed this message out. I really hope you were joking.
You can't think of a single reason why I might consider it the worst Nintendo game? Like any reason at all?

Do you want me to make a thread? A thread explaining why it's the worst one? I'll really do it, it's really easy to do if the first checkmark is 9 seperate cases of incest romances the game pushes on you, I didn't even mention the scumbag cashgrabbiness of the game

If anyone wants a good explanation on my mindset here's a video from one of my old favorite youtubers STAR, who plays an online game he considers "the worst videogame he's ever played" and he explains why:
I think the point here is that, as bad as Fates' story and other character's aspects can get, is still had some good stuff about it.
Conquest had good gameplay, even though most characters were pretty bad, there were some good ones, and the attack animations are smooth and cool.

Yeah, the incest thing is super weird, but I don't think that makes it the worst game ever made.

And even if it is the worst game ever, there's no need to be a condescending ******* about it. That's just rude.
Seriously.
1"What's wrong with almost every newcomer being a person with different rainbow hair and a different kind of stick to hit people with?"

Nintendo anime people are ****ing boring. Every Fire Emblem character (and Link) has the exact same body type, except Ike, who has a bit of muscle on him to justify his club of a sword. The rest are skinny, ivory-skinned princesses who could all pass as one another with a dye job and a change of clothes. That said, it's just a consequence of the genre. Almost every Japanese, human-based RPG is going to have pretty, generic boys and girls as their main characters, and main characters are who get into Smash Bros. I'm thrilled with the visual difference between the two Newcomers this time around and I hope it keeps up.
That's just generalizing though. By saying that, you're intentionally ignoring all the things those characters have that do make them unique.
Looks aren't everything, y'know. Don't judge a book by its cover, and all that.

Also, your argument doesn't account for Ryu, Mac, WFT, or Bayonetta, who were also human-like Smash 4 newcomers.

Furthermore, I find it strange how you conveniently ignored Daisy to make your point sound better for the Ultimate Newcomers. Doesn't exactly help your case.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, I should point out that some of the requested characters have swords (Isaac, Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa, with the latter two even having been in OVAs). Double-standards, and all.

Those games are bonuses since Nintendo let them happen
With that logic, you should toss in the educational Mario games as well.

I think the lack of non humans is because games don't feature them very much lately. Different time, different market.
Still beats the Project X Zone series having an apparent allergy to cartoony characters, not even Mario was in that despite the fact it was a collab with Nintendo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ehhhhh, they weren't specifically stated as Jesse and James if I remember correctly though. So it might as well have not been them. This seems like a chance to correct that.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
2. Ike replaced Roy as he was more relevant and marked FE's celebrated return to home consoles.
Ike didn't replace Roy in Brawl; Sakurai just wanted a new FE character that specifically fit a pre-devised mighty glacier swordsman template and decided Ike upon IS' suggestion, while Roy was still planned for Brawl, he was just one of the low priority characters that got cut because of time constraints (and data shows he was the second-last character cut, as he had an unused victory theme, which only Mewtwo of the rest of the Forbidden Seven had).

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am just going to say I am feeling very confident that Ashley is going to be the next newcomer confirmed for Ultimate. She will likely be confirmed during the week of WarioWare Gold's release. There is also the possibility that the Chorus Kids might be confirmed at the same time due to the fact that during the week of WarioWare Gold's Japanese release, the DS installment of Rhythm Heaven's Japanese release (which marked the debut of the Chorus Kids) has its ten year anniversary. However, overall, I think Ashley is going to be Smash Fighter #66 (or #67 if Chorus Kids gets confirmed at the same time as Ashley).

I also think that after Ashley's confirmation, we will finally start regularly seeing new content (content that was not shown to us on June 12th) revealed on the Smash Blog. At that point, things will get very interesting. Confirmations and deconfirmations as we count down the remaining four months until release.
Any specific, detailed reasons for being very confident on Ashley other than the close release date? I am not as confident on her due to a couple of reasons stated in my analysis of her here, but I am curious what you have to say on the matter.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ehhhhh, they weren't specifically stated as Jesse and James if I remember correctly though. So it might as well have not been them. This seems like a chance to correct that.
I actually think they did call themselves Jesse and James, and even if they didn't, they clearly were Jesse and James! :laugh:

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
How do you know they are now? Just as in Yellow, they were clearly Jessie and James even if the text didn't say so

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, what you're shaped like isn't as big of a like/dislike factor for me as what they can actually do.
As it turns out, humans want humans to play as humans in their video games!
By the way, I should point out that some of the requested characters have swords (Isaac, Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa, with the latter two even having been in OVAs). Double-standards, and all.

With that logic, you should toss in the educational Mario games as well.

Still beats the Project X Zone series having an apparent allergy to cartoony characters, not even Mario was in that despite the fact it was a collab with Nintendo.
That's because you're entirely missing the point of Project X Zone.
It's not just a collab with Nintendo and Capcom, it was a collab with everything 1. COOL and 2. ANIME.
All the reps are people who are from flashy, semi-realistic, animated things regardless of their association across a dozen different companies.

As you can imagine, a tag between 2 plumbers isn't as flashy as, say someone like Dante and Vergil.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Here's a picture of SoV Kirbys that I found online.
It will probably look like that; my Kirby Picture is old-ish (2013?) anyway xD

Ike didn't replace Roy in Brawl, Sakurai just wanted a new FE character that specifically fit a pre-devised mighty glacier swordsman template and decided Ike upon IS' suggestion, while Roy was still planned for Brawl, he was just one of the low priority characters that got cut because of time constraints (and data shows he was the second-last character cut, as he had an unused victory theme, which only Mewtwo of the Forbidden Seven had).
Yeah; Ike just outprioritized Roy; not outright replaced him (but at practice effects he did it).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
By saying that, you're intentionally ignoring all the things those characters have that do make them unique.
Looks aren't everything, y'know. Don't judge a book by its cover, and all that.
I'm specifically talking about visuals here, I thought I made that pretty clear by the fact that I only talked about visuals and mentioned how visually distinct the current newcomers are. And yeah, you got me with Ryu, Bayo, and WFT.
HFurthermore, I find it strange how you conveniently ignored Daisy to make your point sound better for the Ultimate Newcomers. Doesn't exactly help your case.
I forgot Daisy even existed, honestly. Once they show off a fourth dress-wearing Mario character I'll start complaining.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

No they don't. They aren't any more "eligible" for Smash than they were before. What changed exactly? Recency bias? Is that it?

Meowth is still as likely as he's ever been.

I don't see why acknowledging they exist means all the sudden they are a match for Toad and Isabelle. An argument can be made for Meowth but lets not overblow their reveal that much.

In my opinion, none of them even have a chance as DLC. Furthermore, no one is gonna be thinking about Lets Go! when Smash 6 finally starts rolling around the corner.

I'm not trying to be a downer, really. I just think its silly to act like this means something for Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ike didn't replace Roy in Brawl; Sakurai just wanted a new FE character that specifically fit a pre-devised mighty glacier swordsman template and decided Ike upon IS' suggestion, while Roy was still planned for Brawl, he was just one of the low priority characters that got cut because of time constraints (and data shows he was the second-last character cut, as he had an unused victory theme, which only Mewtwo of the rest of the Forbidden Seven had).
Well, you learn something new every day.
I've edited it so now it's more accurate.

Though I have to say, is outprioritization that much of a difference than replacement?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Roy was a clone of Marth at the time. Ike was not. I don't think Ike replaced him...
Just like Lucario replaced Mewtwo, amirite?

Those two were totally the same! Absolutely! Force Palm is completely identical to Confusion. Counter? Just like Disable! Extremespeed? Well, that's just an alt skin of Teleport!

(Is the Sarcasm thick enough?)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They sure did! Yup!

Team Rocket Pokemon Yellow.png

Same designs and all.

1998 was when Pokémon Yellow came out. Team Rocket from the anime debuted in this game.

20 years later... 2018, Team Rocket from the anime finally came back in Pokémon Let's Go!

Team Rocket from the anime is finally relevant again! I am still squeeing! I really hoped Team Rocket from the anime would show up in a new game and now here they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom