• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm gonna say something kinda weird here...

Whats the ONE Smash character you would really love to have in that has literally 0 chance of being in Smash Brothers...

Because for me, it's Jehuty from Zone of the Enders. It would be totally rad just to play as them, but not only does nobody know who the hell they are... Jehuty would either be uncharacteristically heavy and slow, or would have some changes to them that would offset them being big and fast
A Locoroco.
Don't ask me how.
Don't ask me why.
A Locoroco.

(Actually I know why, I want those adorable songs in the game!)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I think people kinda overstate this. Fire Emblem did really well, but it's not even close, and I meant not even kinda close to smelling the same air as Nintendo's big boys. The idea that Fire Emblem has as many characters as Mario or Pokemon based on a game doing well is a bit absurd. It's honestly probably just easy to add Fire Emblem characters. They're mostly just anime people swinging swords or other weapons around so most of the characters in the series are workable as playable characters, and everyone in the same class fights the same so it's easy to make clones.

That said, you suffer in the end because every single playable Fire Emblem character in Smash Bros. is just a pretty anime person with a sword which doesn't help variety, regardless of their abilities. Part of what turned me off to Smash 4 was the fact that so many newcomers were just people.
Well that’s what happens when you have a smaller pool of characters to choose from.

With Smash Ultimate, at least we can possibly get King K. Rool, Geno, Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, whatever Rhythm Heaven Character, and a Gen 7 Pokémon.

Elma, Simon, maybe Ashley and Issac are possibly the only “humans” to get in this time around.

Mind you, most of the non human characters suck anyways.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm gonna say something kinda weird here...

Whats the ONE Smash character you would really love to have in that has literally 0 chance of being in Smash Brothers...

Because for me, it's Jehuty from Zone of the Enders. It would be totally rad just to play as them, but not only does nobody know who the hell they are... Jehuty would either be uncharacteristically heavy and slow, or would have some changes to them that would offset them being big and fast
Vegeta.

**** Kakarot.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Corn, Robin and Lucina also have multiple classes. Byleth looks boring, he looks like a photoshopped Ephraim and with much anime sowrdfighters we have already I don't see what he can bring to the table.
The point was that Byleth is a Teacher. So it makes sense for him to switch between the various classes that he teaches.

Saying "This character is boring. He looks like a botched so and so" isn't clever by the way. Judging a character's appearance is just an empty point.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh my! It's Fire Emblem time? I have something special for that!

View attachment 152827
I bring you good news, Troykv Troykv . Micaiah is in 29th Place with 34 Supporters. (This is high considering how many requested characters there are, I estimate there are over 300, and Micaiah is unlikely to drop from her spot, at least during this count).
Oh you're keeping track?
In that case, could you please tell me how Ashley's doing?
Ashley is 5th Place, with 138 Supporters.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
"ANOTHER SWORD?
I hate the anti-sword sentiment soooo much. I only play sword characters with the exception of Wolf, so please, let me have a new character too. I don't care what franchise they're from, if they have a sword, I'll play the **** out of them.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Brawl is by far the best in terms of music. They need the Square-Enix composer back because he was the one that did Final Destination and used Latin.

Don't @ me

Roberk

Smash Champion
Not even a chance of that happening.

It's ****ing Fire Emblem did you not know you could reclass units? It's a gimmick staple in the series.
It’s one thing for me to repeat something that the community generally agrees upon that is hinted at in the trailer: the archetype roles of Byleth and the “three”.

It’s another to get mad about something that
a) We don’t know if there will be reclassing or even if Byleth is maybe an avatar can access multiple class weapons/abilities, and
b) Reclassing is not a “staple”. I think it was introduced in Shadow Dragon (Maybe New Mystery, same difference.) It’s prevalent in most of the latest games but I know it doesn’t exist pre FE10.

Byleth has potential, but it’s not some certain thing that is such common knowledge. All we know is the E3 trailer and speculation based off of existing archetypes. Even if Byleth could be a Leif with every weapon type and access every mount/movement type, do you really think they’d go past the default infantry with a sword?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Because when it comes to Smash fans, there's too many everything.
Meanwhile, F-Zero fans sob quietly in a corner somewhere.

Karate Joe has the same number of Supporters as Mona (15), which means they're both joint 72nd place.

They share the Joint 72nd Spot with Incineroar, Tom Nook, "A Pro Wrestling Character", Roll, Heihachi, Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) and Earthworm Jim.
It's cool to see Jim get as many supporters as all those, at least.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Atm since Lyn is still an AT (though I hope she gets new voice clips to be updated like Marth and Ike have been), Celica+Alm, Edelgard and Anna are now the only FE characters I want in Smash
Oh my! It's Fire Emblem time? I have something special for that!

View attachment 152827
Kirby Lyn...we could’ve had that

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
tbh I'd be fine with another FE character just not from Fates! I'd even take that weird idol FE x Shin Megami Tensei game that had those weird as hell zipper panties in the previews just get fates away okay!

actually has anyone played that game I saw the best friends playing it, notcied that they took the zipper panties out which was nice. Is it a good game?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
PSA: The Unpopular Video Game opinions thread is over here if you want to give out your hot takes without ****ting up this thread.

I rather talk about unpopular opinions than about Pokemon and clones for the 4512th time, thank you very much.

This literally made me wheeze laugh like you actually looked at my post where I said the game literally romanticizes and glorifies incest unironically and you typed that out. You did that. You used your hands and typed this message out. I really hope you were joking.
You can't think of a single reason why I might consider it the worst Nintendo game? Like any reason at all?

Do you want me to make a thread? A thread explaining why it's the worst one? I'll really do it, it's really easy to do if the first checkmark is 9 seperate cases of incest romances the game pushes on you, I didn't even mention the scumbag cashgrabbiness of the game

If anyone wants a good explanation on my mindset here's a video from one of my old favorite youtubers STAR, who plays an online game he considers "the worst videogame he's ever played" and he explains why:
You talk about the incest like it contains all of Conquest's quality. What about the music, the graphics, the revised mechanics, the skills, the map design? All that makes a game a game?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I hate the anti-sword sentiment soooo much. I only play sword characters with the exception of Wolf, so please, let me have a new character too. I don't care what franchise they're from, if they have a sword, I'll play the **** out of them.
Meanwhile us shield fans are dying out here. I don't count the Links.....might as well count Galacta Knight at that point.

Also axes. Smash needs more axes.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
It's ****ing Fire Emblem did you not know you could reclass units? It's a gimmick staple in the series.
Ehh, reclassing was first introduced in Shadow Dragon and I can totally see it gone in any new entry. Not really a staple imo.

Brawl is by far the best in terms of music. They need the Square-Enix composer back because he was the one that did Final Destination and used Latin.

Don't @ me
Brawl is leagues above the other Smash games when it comes to anything music related. The new main theme is good, but it's not Uematsu good.
I hope they step up the remix game from Smash 4.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I bring you good news, Troykv Troykv . Micaiah is in 29th Place with 34 Supporters. (This is high considering how many requested characters there are, I estimate there are over 300, and Micaiah is unlikely to drop from her spot, at least during this count).

How many single-supporter characters do you estimate?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
tbh I'd be fine with another FE character just not from Fates! I'd even take that weird idol FE x Shin Megami Tensei game that had those weird as hell zipper panties in the previews just get fates away okay!

actually has anyone played that game I saw the best friends playing it, notcied that they took the zipper panties out which was nice. Is it a good game?
I don’t think Smash will give the same FE game another rep (Awakening was an exception due to Robin replacing Chrom as a character while Lucina was an alt turned echo who doesn’t get to have her own order number)
I rather talk about unpopular opinions than about Pokemon and clones for the 4512th time, thank you very much.

You talk about the incest like it contains all of Conquest's quality. What about the music, the graphics, the revised mechanics, the skills, the map design? All that makes a game a game?
Don’t forget the best Azura dance...and Selena (Camilla is for sexy points, but Selena >>>>)
No Nintendo game is worse than Sticker Star.
Action 52

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know it's unrealistic, but if Celica and Alm get in, I really, REALLY, want them to play like a tag-team fighter that instantly switch in and out. I also demand they call out the other's name when they do so, purely so I can do this.

Imagine it:
CELICA! ALM! CELICA! ALM! CELICA! ALM!

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I understand and agree with the sentiment that I don't really have a desire for any more FE characters. However, it's never a fair argument to say whether a series doesn't need anymore characters in favor of other series getting the spotlight. That not only implies that there's some type of quota to be met (there never is), but to me, also implies that a series getting not much representation as they did last game in favor of another series getting a lot for this game means that everyone will be satisfied. Which, to put it bluntly, won't ever happen.

People hated how much Kirby and Starfox "overshadowed" other series in Brawl, and people hated that Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus "oversahdowed" other series in Smash 4. And I'll bet a good deal that if Elma is in the base game for Ultimate, and Rex & Pyra get released as DLC, Xenoblade will get mocked for being the new "Sakurai Bias" series. Same for any other series that people feel like goes over the aforementioned "quota". And I know everyone here is pretty mellow about that type of stuff now, but I can't say the same for the rest of the internet.

In reality, all we can do is hope for what we want and try to have friendly discussion along the way. And if some things don't go our way, we're still gonna buy the game anyway, cuz it's Smash. And Smash is cool.

KMDP

Smash Legend
They share the Joint 72nd Spot with Incineroar
Did I say Incineroar? I meant to say Primarina.
Incineroar is 26th Place, with 36 Supporters.
Decidueye is 7th Place, with 115. (@Lampy'll be happy. :laugh:)

Mimikyu is 33rd Place, with 30 Supporters.
Gardevoir is 55th Place, with 20 Supporters.
Gengar is 62nd Place, with 18 Supporters.
How many single-supporter characters do you estimate?
That's tough to say, I don't think there'll be many (well... maybe). I think I saw one Character thread that was posted that didn't have a single reply, I didn't count it. XD

Last edited:

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I don't really mind the over abundance of FE, I mean other series might deserve more but who besides like Impa and Tingle is MAJOR in Zelda? Kirby I actively support Dee so I can't argue but either way, pretty much everyone in FE is a skilled fighter, it's just the nature of the series. I don't even mind non unique since they are easy to make. As someone who has never played FE, I want Celica since she could be unique, 100% magic. Yes we have Robin but he uses his sword a bit, Celica doesn't need to use it at all. On top of that they could make her magic hurt herself but try and balance it, like her spells are very powerful to compensate.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
No Nintendo game is worse than Sticker Star.
How is Sticker Star bad? I've heard it mentioned some times, but never played it. Searched it up, and it never got under 6 for a review according to Wikipedia. And a lot of them gave it 7.5 and such? I'm curious as I've heard it a few times.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh hi guys, what're we talking about? Fire Emblem? Cool. I have a few things to say about it myself actually -
FE games that are inferior to Conquest:
FE7: Overrated relic
Nevermind, I'm out of here.

...Okay, no seriously though. If you're able to look past Conquest's horrible, horrible writing, it actually has the best level design in the series. You know how people always say Conquest's varied map objectives make its gameplay more like the previous games in the series? They're actually doing that game a huge disservice when they say that. It has some of the most varied maps in the series, and unlike Revelations, they each have the necessary polish to make them work. Yes, they're super challenging so that can be off putting if you're not into that, but they're almost never downright unfair. It has a bad story but its still a really darn good game.

FE7 still has a great cast of characters though.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
How is Sticker Star bad? I've heard it mentioned some times, but never played it. Searched it up, and it never got under 6 for a review according to Wikipedia. And a lot of them gave it 7.5 and such? I'm curious as I've heard it a few times.
Dunno about everyone else, but I was turned off from it from the first 10 minutes when I realized:
"Oh, so all my attacks, including my most standard attacks are based on consumable items."

I then turned it off and returned it to my friend I was borrowing it from.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh hi guys, what're we talking about? Fire Emblem? Cool. I have a few things to say about it myself actually -
Nevermind, I'm out of here.

...Okay, no seriously though. If you're able to look past Conquest's horrible, horrible writing, it actually has the best level design in the series. You know how people always say Conquest's varied map objectives make its gameplay more like the previous games in the series? They're actually doing that game a huge disservice when they say that. It has some of the most varied maps in the series, and unlike Revelations, they each have the necessary polish to make them work. Yes, they're super challenging so that can be off putting if you're not into that, but they're almost never downright unfair. It has a bad story but its still a really darn good game.

FE7 still has a great cast of characters though.
Blazing Sword makes for a great first Fire Emblem game, so long as you are the type who doesn't mind perma-death.

I'd say Sacred Stones, Awakening and Fates would actually make bad first Fire Emblem games, since the ability to grind in them (except Fates: Conquest) and the Pair-Up mechanics might teach the player bad habits they may find hard to drop.

Also, forced tutorial.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

That is great! (Wait do you have a list of characters' no of supporters?)

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
It's not, it's pretty charming and fun when you realize it's more akin to a point and click adventure than a RPG. 7.5 seems right.

Though Color Splash is the same thing but done a whole lot better

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So it's been confirmed that the digital file size of Ultimate is 16 GiG. Around SSB4's file size. I think this kind of disconfirms an SSE type of Adventure Mode.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So it's been confirmed that the digital file size of Ultimate is 16 GiG. Around SSB4's file size. I think this kind of disconfirms an SSE type of Adventure Mode.
Ah well.
As long as Smash Tour stays dead and we get something better, I'll be happy.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Battles are pointless. All you get from battles is coins, which you can use to buy stickers. However coins and stickers can be found in the overworld without battling. Battling just wastes stickers that can be saved for bosses.

Bosses are garbage. They are either almost impossible without a certain "thing" sticker or are a complete joke if you have one. They don't give you any clues as to what you'll need beforehand so you gotta go in blind.

TONS of backtracking. In particular there's this Wiggler mission that's the bane of my existence.

The game is extremely generic, no creativity whatsoever. The story is just Bowser kidnaps Peach. All the environments are boring grass world, desert world etc. Every NPC is a generic toad. There are no original characters except for Kersti who is very obnoxious.

The puzzles are stupid and often have a logic of their own that makes no sense. Lots of solutions that should work don't and some that do make no sense.

The writing is juvenile and has no substance.

Probably some more things too.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That is great! (Wait do you have a list of characters' no of supporters?)
I'm in the process of making one. I'll make a thread for the results when I'm done.

There's a long list of characters who don't have Support Lists, and whose threads are too long to justify me personally counting their "I Support!" posts. I'd like for someone to help me with that, but I'm under no illusions that anyone'd be crazy enough to do so. XD For all I know they have a lot of Supporters, but if their threads masters can't be bothered to count the supporters, I can't be bothered either. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Why? It wouldn't be that big, unless it had a lot of video cutscenes like SSE, which then... would probably put it around that file size, since Smash 4 had every character reveal trailer included in it and a lot of them were as long as SSE cutscenes

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Not necessarily. It depends on how well they've compressed the game.

Troykv

Smash Master
I understand and agree with the sentiment that I don't really have a desire for any more FE characters. However, it's never a fair argument to say whether a series doesn't need anymore characters in favor of other series getting the spotlight. That not only implies that there's some type of quota to be met (there never is), but to me, also implies that a series getting not much representation as they did last game in favor of another series getting a lot for this game means that everyone will be satisfied. Which, to put it bluntly, won't ever happen.

People hated how much Kirby and Starfox "overshadowed" other series in Brawl, and people hated that Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus "oversahdowed" other series in Smash 4. And I'll bet a good deal that if Elma is in the base game for Ultimate, and Rex & Pyra get released as DLC, Xenoblade will get mocked for being the new "Sakurai Bias" series. Same for any other series that people feel like goes over the aforementioned "quota". And I know everyone here is pretty mellow about that type of stuff now, but I can't say the same for the rest of the internet.

In reality, all we can do is hope for what we want and try to have friendly discussion along the way. And if some things don't go our way, we're still gonna buy the game anyway, cuz it's Smash. And Smash is cool.
I wonder how old is the attitute of Smash needing 3 DK Characters (I'm not against, in fact I embrace it; just asking).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Adventure Mode isn't that expansive of an addition? It's no SSE, but I don't think it's that big. And that doesn't make a lot of sense considering there's supposedly a lot of more content than in Smash 4 but that's just me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom