• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
Y'all are right, I didn't take into account that Melee was released relatively soon after OOT and that Lucina being Chrom's daughter was a spoiler. However I do recall that when she was shown in promotional material as "Marth" no one thought it was actually Marth. Sorry for my misinformation.

However, I do still think that Fiora will not be playable.

EDIT: I'm now getting flashbacks of all the spoilers in Smash, such as the fight against Palutena under the Chaos Kin's control. Now I just look super stupid ://

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For your own sakes, I wouldn’t take anything other than an official reveal to give you hope or happiness in regard to a character who already has a role being playable.

It may be fun to speculate about, and it probably is. But certain things start getting taken as fact, and then when they don’t happen there’s plenty of salt to go around.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Like for real; Lucas’s Brawl trophy is literally:
“LucasThe younger of twin brothers living in Tazmily Village in the Nowhere Islands. He's a kind boy who can communicate with animals, but he's shy and never really got over the tragedy that struck his mother. He fights a warped dictatorship, hunts the Seven Needles, and crosses swords with his missing brother, Claus. In the end, the young boy with psychic PSI powers grows up.: Mother 3 (Japan Only)”

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
There’s also Lucas’s Brawl trophy, and some of the dialogue in Palutena’s trailer spoils a chapter in the latter half of KIU.
Don’t forget Sheik being Zelda, which at the time of Melee, was actually exactly only three years old to.

Also Melee released on the third anniversary of Ocarina so that’s a cool thing I never knew.

Roberk

Smash Champion
So I was wondering what your reactions would be if....

1) if the release date is delayed to Spring 2019
2) if we never got Mewtwo, Dr Mario, Lucas, or Roy in Smash 4 in light of everyone returning for Ultimate.
3) if the game was clearly stated by Sakurai as being a port of Smash 4.
4) if we only saw a handful of veterans plus the three newcomers yet get daily veteran reveals via daily blogs. So some characters are revealed through the daily blog.
5) if Sakurai announced that this is his last Smash game.
6) if the three revealed newcomers were the only ones
1) I thought FE Three Houses was saved from Smash’s cannibalization by being delayed, oh well. Other than that, I’d be quite happy because I can focus on school more. Also, maybe the possibility for newer content???

2)I'd be disappointed but not too much, I didn’t get into Smash 4’s DLC era.

3) If it still has all of the non port stuff we’ve seen and will see, who cares?

4) It would be better to keep us on our toes during the content droughts, but it would lose out on the point of Ultimate. The selling point to be exact. Losing out on Ultimate marketing that “Everyone is here” selling point would be risky.

5) He deserves an actual break. Also, his talents are being wasted on Smash. I want to see what he can do with other dormant franchises after completely reimagining something like Kid Icarus. Never mind the fact that Sakurai has said that a Smash was his “last one” multiple times now I think.

6) Who would be more disappointed, Smash fans who have already experienced all of these veterans or casuals who want new stuff? While the current 3 newcomers are great, they on their own are universally dissapointing to people who have been waiting for new content for 2-4 years now.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Xenoblade's trophies were FULL of Spoilers, even without Mecha Fiora. Fiora's standard trophy HEAVILY implies about "That" moment, and there's a trophy for a VERY late game enemy.

It keeps the biggest plot spoiler out of the game, to be fair, but everything before that point is displayed shamelessly. Which is still some very significant stuff.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Especially curious since the Pokemon Funko Pop in question apparently wasn't supposed to leave the warehouse yet...

If that leak were true, imagine the RAGE Waluigi fans would have if the New Super Mario World game DID INDEED swap out Yellow Toad for Wario but NOT Blue Toad. It's bad enough as it is.

But if that indeed also comes alongside a Switch version of Cuphead, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, AND a 3D Remake of Mother 3, then count me a happy boy!

We'll see if this is true or not. Only 10 days away... then again, if the Direct REALLY IS to be held on the 22nd... that'd be a Sunday... I don't think they do Sunday Directs, but just because they HAVEN'T doesn't mean they won't I guess?
(Copying what I've said elsewhere)
Another point of evidence is what they state is in the Pokemon Let's Go trailer. Today we got a trailer for it and it was of the beginning cities and first two gyms, meanwhile, we haven't gotten a great look at the later/middle cities and gyms, which the trailer in the supposed direct said it would be covering. Not saying this is absolute proof that it's correct (in fact, it's honestly just probably a fake leak that has a couple of interesting tidbits luckily going for it) but it's still interesting none the less.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Y'all are right, I didn't take into account that Melee was released relatively soon after OOT and that Lucina being Chrom's daughter was a spoiler. However I do recall that when she was shown in promotional material as "Marth" no one thought it was actually Marth. Sorry for my misinformation.

EDIT: I'm now getting flashbacks of all the spoilers in Smash, such as the fight against Palutena under the Chaos Kin's control. Now I just look super stupid ://
Trust me, you get used to looking super stupid
Xenoblade's trophies were FULL of Spoilers, even without Mecha Fiora. Fiora's standard trophies HEAVILY implies about "That" moment, and there's a trophy for a VERY late game enemy.

It keeps the biggest plot spoiler out of the game, to be fair, but everything before that point is displayed shamelessly. Which is still some very significant stuff.
They avoided that one because a 3DS trailer warned about potential spoilers and immediately showed it off lmao

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade's trophies were FULL of Spoilers, even without Mecha Fiora. Fiora's standard trophies HEAVILY implies about "That" moment, and there's a trophy for a VERY late game enemy.

Even though I had started long before he was announced, when Shulk was revealed, I made it a priority to beat Xenoblade before Smash 4 came out because I knew they'd do stuff like this. After Lucas's trophy in Brawl though, I thought they'd spoil the whole game. The Bionis and Mechonis trophies could have been way worse.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Oh I absolutely agree on Fiora...like seriously were the last few pages hypothetical? I feel like since the Waluigi thing every now and then there's a deconfirmed character people are like maybe it's possible...

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Xenoblade's trophies were FULL of Spoilers, even without Mecha Fiora. Fiora's standard trophy HEAVILY implies about "That" moment, and there's a trophy for a VERY late game enemy.

Yeah it was coming once we saw Metal Face was a hazard.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Sheik most certainly wasn’t common knowledge when she was put in Melee so I dunno where people get that idea.

Also Lucina being Chrom’s daughter from the future wasn’t revealed in promotional material was it?
But it was from a previous generation console's game though, so there was not much to spoil in Sheik's case

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
With these "deconfirmed" characters, is Toon Link the only example of a character who's appeared elsewhere before being shown as playable?

The problem I find with using Toon Link as an example is that he wasn't a newcomer, he was a veteran. I have trouble seeing Sakurai showing off newcomers in other roles before...well, showcasing them as a newcomer.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
With these "deconfirmed" characters, is Toon Link the only example of a character who's appeared elsewhere before being shown as playable?

The problem I find with using Toon Link as an example is that he wasn't a newcomer, he was a veteran. I have trouble seeing Sakurai showing off newcomers in other roles before...well, showcasing them as a newcomer.
If you really want to reach, Luigi was in Smash 64's How To Play video while being an unlockable character

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
But it was from a previous generation console's game though, so there was not much to spoil in Sheik's case
Ocarina of Time was like two years old at the time so that really doesn’t hold much water, especially since Melee was a GameCube launch title.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If you really want to reach, Luigi was in Smash 64's How To Play video while being an unlockable character
Generally, though, before watching the How to Play video in Smash 64, you’d probably watch the intro first, which spoils Luigi’s playable presence via the silhouettes at the end

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Generally, though, before watching the How to Play video in Smash 64, you’d probably watch the intro first, which spoils Luigi’s playable presence via the silhouettes at the end
Foreshadowed actually.

Also remember Sakurai deconfirmed Luigi as a playable character in Melee by showing him as a Trophy, only for him to be confirmed later on.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
But Xenoblade originally released on the Wii...which isn't only the current previous generation, but now two generations behind.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah, but since ocarina wasn't playable on the cube (well not until that compilation disc), it didn't matter that the reveal was spoiled then.
I mean it did because the spoiler on it's own was massive for the time, at the time of it's release it was one of the biggest twists in all of gaming. For that to be revealed, even on a different console, was huge.

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay guys the whole point is that spoilers aren't a major factor on a characters inclusion, Sakurai cares less about story and more about how the character plays, so if we were to get Fiora I doubt that spoilers would play any role in her inclusion. I'd actually even go on to say that we could see a major spoiler from Xenoblade Chronicles X as an alternate costume for Elma.

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
It says updates in general, not specifically DLC, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a lot of new things being added, if I were you.
the leak as a whole is quite unbelievable in general to me, but honestly the funko pops and then confirmation that mk8d is getting any updates at all after a long time? it’s kind of suspicious don’t you think?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah. What leak says the Funkos and the MK8D DLC?

Because that's a lot to get right.

Especially the Funkos with how protective Nintendo is of their properties.

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Wait what leak is this? Also hi
Geez, we're doing the Smash Template now? I've seen those on 4chan for weeks.

Speaking of: I've got another set of "leaks" for ya'll.
"Leak" 1:
Hello. I have been informed by my sources that Smash Bros. Ultimate will have these characters, and feature some new stages.

Characters:
>Ken (Echo for Ryu)
>Metal Mario (Echo for Mario)
>Waluigi (Newcomer, bamboozle by Sakurai)
>Octoling (Echo for Inkling)
>Dark Samus (Newcomer)
>Shadow (Newcomer)
>Sora (Newcomer)
>Ninten (Newcomer)
>Vault Boy (Newcomer)
Stages:

>Random Kingdom Hearts stage
>Westopolis
>Deepsea Metro
>Hyrule Castle (BotW)
>Labo House
>Vault 76

More to come in the future.

Vault Boy is...new, but this leak has Sora, so therefore it must be true. Flawless logic on my part.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Leak" 2:
While the roster may have been supposedly decided in 2015, things change over development. Someone from within Bamco has come forward to me with info on characters being put into the game, some I think most of you are going to find odd. The Smash Ballot wasn't completely for nothing though, as it determined which characters ultimately got into the game.

The characters are: Metal Mario, Banjo-Kazooie, Mega Charizard X/Y (Echo), K.Rool, Dark Samus (echo), Decidueye, and Issac.

First things first, Simon IS in the game, but he's an assist trophy. He was a playable character in the planning stages, but the team dropped him down to an AT.

Banjo wasn't even a thought until 2016, which is when he was added due to sheer requests for him, much like Ridley. The Wonderwing isn't his final smash, and his up b is nothing anyone would expect.

K.Rool was added thanks to overall global requests and thanks to the Smash Ballot.

Decidueye was picked over Sceptile due to it being the most recent grass Pokemon starter. His Final Smash is Sinister Arrow Raid from Sun and Moon. Speaking of, Mega Charizard is in the game due to Charizard mains in Smash 4. It is the only PKMN Trainer Pokemon to get this honor, and yes, you can play as Y version and it too has 4 colors.

Issac was added to the game early on thanks in part to fan requests. It should be noted Issac's green hands are nowhere in his moveset.

Dark Samus was added as a more offensive version of Samus. Her F air has only one hit box for example and it does kill at low percents. Her Final Smash however, turns her into Metroid Prime.

Metal Mario is actually a throw back to Super Smash Bros 64, complete with his stage remade in Smash Ultimate. His side B is a diving tackle from Mario 64 and his down B is Mario Tornado. Metal Mario also has his step sound effect from 64 and falls like Fox did in Melee, but won't die at 260+ percents like he did in 64. Ask me anything else you would like to know, especially DLC.

I highly doubt that a character would be dropped to assist trophy status during development. They'd likely be cut and released as DLC if anything. Mega Charizard as an echo makes little sense as well. The Pokémon Trainer mechanic is much better for Charizard than Rock Smash, a crummy move that nobody used.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Leak" 3:

Alright bois heres a leak for ya
On July 22nd a 30 minute Nintendo direct will be held
> The direct will start out with the announcement that Funko is making Mario, Pokemon and Zelda themed Funko Pops

> A trailer for a New Super Mario Bros Switch game is show titled New Super Mario World and every level is painted in the way that 5-1 in NSMBU was. The trailer shows Mario, Luigi and Blue Toad as playable characters however Yellow Toad is removed. Instead it is revealed that Wario is going to be playable instead.

> Mario Maker for Switch is next. Showing the game comes with a free stylus and can only be edited while levels can be played on both screens

> Mario Odyssey Dlc is shown next with a new world being Delfino Island from Mario Sunshine.
> MK8D is the final bit of Mario content shown as DLC is shown. The dlc includes 2 new cups. 2 new battle tracks and 6 new characters. The cups shown are the Top Hat Cup and the Shine Cup with only 2 tracks shown for both. Top Hat has New Donk City and Shine Cup is shown with Waluigi Pinball. The battle tracks include the return of Block Fort and the addition of a new track titled Green Greens. The characters shown as DLC are: Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Birdo, Cappy, Pauline and Kirby.

> Mother 3D is announced. It’s a remake of Mother 3 with 3D graphics and full dialogued cutscenes. Amiibos are then revealed with Lucas, Kumatora, Boney, Duster and Masked Man amiibos shown off

> Next are the reveal of 3 popular games from other consoles being ported over: Mortal Kombat X, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Fallout 76

> A Minecraft Mash-Up pack is shown next with it being Zelda themed

> Star Fox racing is revealed, taking a lot of inspiration from F-Zero

> Megaman 11 gets a mini trailer followed by the announcement that you can play as Proto-Man, Bass and Roll

> Pokemon Lets Go is next with a trailer revealing some of the locations like Pallet Town, Lavender Town, Saffron City and Lt Surges Gym

> Gameplay trailer for Fire Emblem: Three Houses

> Kirby Star Allies dream friends are revealed alongside their release date.

> Final Fantasy 7 Remake is coming to Nintendo Switch

> Sonic Mania Plus is getting a trailer alongside the confirmation that Metal Sonic is in development as a playable character

> Cuphead is coming to Nintendo switch

> A montage of games are shown including Mario Tennis Aces, Sonic Mania Plus, Rocket League, Owlboy, Bomb Chicken, Camp Camp: Campe Diem, Pool Panic, Buddy Buddiez and Doshin The Giant HD

> A smash trailer for King K Rool and Dixie Kong is shown to end things off. Smash Run is also revealed to return alongside Smash Tour

Geez, this is the wishlist to end all wishlists. If the Switch gets all of this? R.I.P. my wallet. We'll see how this one pans out on the 22nd.
"Leak" 4:

-Nintendo direct in August, can't say which day
-Opens with trailer for Yoshi, still no title, showcasing co-op
-More information on Pokemon lets go
-More information on Kirby Star Allies
-Super Mario odyssey DLC
-Star fox grand prix
-Ends with Smash fighter reveal, Simon Belmont to be exact, Sakurai says 7 more fighters are coming

That's sparse for Nintendo's Fall/Winter lineup. Again, we'll see if this one's true in August.
"Leak" 5:
View attachment 152429

Hello everyone I hope you're all having wonderful day. I was leaking info about Nintendo and was able to find some exciting info about a direct set for December of this year. here is what i found about it and some of the titles they will announce. Keep in mind its only some info not all.

>Direct is switch focused and may or may not include a couple of 3DS titles
>New Super Mario Sunshine inspired DLC for Super Mario Odyssey
>New info for upcoming Yoshi game with a new trailer
> Small teaser for Pikmin 4
> New Metroid Prime 4 trailer
> New F-Zero game labeled "F-Zero Heat Turbo" keep in mind its a working title
> More Smash Ultimate info, mainly talks about the stages and may include a new character reveal.
>The final thing I found was an image (the one that is attached) and some info alongside it. its a new F-Zero game collection titled "F-Zero Elite Collection" It contains 4 F-Zero games which are, F-Zero (SNES),F-Zero GX(GCN), F-Zero X (N64), and for the first time ever on consoles F-Zero AX (Arcade). I found that F-Zero GX & AX will both contain online multiplayer. In order to play online, it requires you to have a NSO subscription. The games play like they did before but with a few tweaks and improvements to make it feel better. You can switch between classic controls and updated controls to suit your play style and preference. Classic controls leaves the controls the same as the original but updated controls is where the controls are improved for the new controllers of the switch. it also has banners (like the snes mini has) and widescreen support. They can both be toggled on/off. The resolution for these games were up-scaled. It also has Gamecube controller support for a more classic feel. F-Zero AX also has Arcade mode controller setup which allows you to hold the joy con in a similar manner as you would while playing the original cabinet.

*The logo in the image attached for F-Zero elite collection is more than likely not final*

New F-Zero Game? F-Zero game collection?? I'd be surprised to say the least. Shoutouts to the logos OP made though. They tried.

Do we have time for bonus "leak"?

Don't say that I don't love you guys, because I have 2 bonus "leaks".
Bonus "leak" 1:

You know what. **** it. I hate my job, I hate my life, I’m going to leak **** and get fired.
I work at Nintendo of America. IT IS NOT FUN OR SATISFYING!
> Waluigi was shown as an assist trophy to **** with everyone
> The old dagenrompa v3 leak is real. Monokuma and Monomi will be assist trophies
> Pichu I’m smash ultimate is way better than in melee.
> 4 more echo fighters
> 7 new challengers
Believe in it if you want, but it’s true.
Don’t expect anything else unless I don’t get fired.
**** Nintendo of America, **** you

This guy's angry. It's only game... Anyways, this "leak" doesn't say much, but gives us a general estimate of what to expect. It fits within the "codename leak" that people have been posting around as clickbait garbage, but 4 of them need to be echoes. Speaking of the "codename leak"...

Bonus "leak" 2:
The “code names” post was not inaccurate

But I would like to state that it did not include the two planned unlockable characters
The new character total including Ridley and Daisy was 15 not 12
A lesser known mario character to complete the mario party playables collection
And a second representative from a popular non-Nintendo franchise.

Both of these characters are planned to remain unannounced and only available by unlocking them through specific achievements

Again, this one doesn't say much. I'd guy that this one includes Shadow and Waluigi? I'd be very surprised if Waluigi made it in. Regardless, this combined with the supposed roster from the "codename leak" would be pretty exciting. 15 characters would put the roster at a whopping 81 characters, and with the potential of DLC (SORA), the roster could reach up to 100+ characters. That'd be exciting.
leak 3 in this set! also hello :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
the leak as a whole is quite unbelievable in general to me, but honestly the funko pops and then confirmation that mk8d is getting any updates at all after a long time? it’s kind of suspicious don’t you think?
I'll give this the benefit of the doubt, though some things seem quite unbelievable indeed, like Cuphead heading to the Switch, despite the fact it has an exclusivity contract with Microsoft.

Also, Cappy in a kart racer? How would that even work?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Mother 3D is actually a thing then I’m gonna cry. :ultlucas:
If Mother 3D is a thing and it's a 3DS exclusive I'm going to be crying too. For a different reason.

The FunkoPop thing is a crazy thing to predict but I dunno.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The leak also mentions MK8D DLC and look what just got tweeted...

https://twitter.com/mynintendonews/status/1017465659494752256?s=21

long time lurker, nice to finally chime in btw :)
Not really related to the leak or Smash in general, but I’ve been thinking lately and doing MK8D DLC honestly seems like a better business tactic than making a full MK9.

A feel like everyone who wants Mario Kart on Switch already has MK8D. While MK9 would sell well, I feel a lot of people, especially those who aren’t hardcore Nintendo fans, would say “I already have Mario Kart on Switch, I don’t want to dump another $60 for a new one, especially with the same graphical quality as the one I have.”

Also MK8D DLC would take up less development resources. They’d probably make more of a profit off that overall than a MK9 on Switch.

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Not really related to the leak or Smash in general, but I’ve been thinking lately and doing MK8D DLC honestly seems like a better business tactic than making a full MK9.

A feel like everyone who wants Mario Kart on Switch already has MK8D. While MK9 would sell well, I feel a lot of people, especially those who aren’t hardcore Nintendo fans, would say “I already have Mario Kart on Switch, I don’t want to dump another $60 for a new one, especially with the same graphical quality as the one I have.”

Also MK8D DLC would take up less development resources. They’d probably make more of a profit off that overall than a MK9 on Switch.
i 100% agree on this, mario kart would do great as a platform, just like smash.

also just my two cents, while yes I pointed out that recent developments support the leak, it seems way too out there to be true to me. getting the funko pops themselves right is huge but it's just such a bizarre leak, yet at the same time it's the biggest lead that i've noticed since i've read the last 300 pages of this thread.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The leak claims that the Direct will be held on July 22nd, which is a Sunday. Has Nintendo ever held Directs on a weekend? I can't remember anything like that myself.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
That leak is literally a gigantic wishlist. It honestly sounds WAY too good to be true, and I'm definitely more inclined to believe there have just been a few good guesses than it being real. However, I feel like with this "proof" staggering towards it, it's definitely one of the more believable leaks and creates for interesting discussion, if for nothing else.

Also I see people say, "But E3 was last month, they would have shown all of this back then!", consider that Nintendo usually focuses on a major game at E3. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate. That's been their trend in the past years. They actually usually don't use E3 very much to promote their lineup though, they usually use their own direct times to do that (where the headlines aren't clogged up with so many other games).

Again not saying this leak is "CoNFIRMEd!!1!", but it definitely would be in line with how Nintendo announces things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom