• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Today marks the one month return of Japan Time. What do you all think about it this time around? I like the weekly music updates and the fact that every veteran got their own movie. The format kind of makes it more agonizing to wait for new stuff, especially with how less than a 1/4th of the returning veterans have been recapped so far. Thoughts?
Ever since E3 has come and past everyone on that podcast is like 10x more high strung and prone to getting in fights. This might be good or bad?? depending on your own tastes I guess. It's been mostly pretty fun overall though.

I do gotta say it was extremely ballsy of them to spend a bunch of pre show time on stream ripping on zero only to have him come on the show in the very same episode. That blew my mind a little bit.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Let's say Elma is announced and Fiora is a echo fighter based on her do you think she would still be In Shulk final smash if someone was playing as her?
It depends, if they’re lazy then maybe but they always could just have her not appear in the Final Smash when she’s being played as, after all the camera angles and fight choreography are exactly the same as the original.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
It depends, if they’re lazy then maybe but they always could just have her not appear in the Final Smash when she’s being played as, after all the camera angles and fight choreography are exactly the same as the original.
Yeah it really does depends if they would be lazy or not. Also I hate you right now for giving me hope about Fiora. My heart still hasn't repair yet :(

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Am I the only one that thinks the Ultimate theme sounds better than the Brawl and Melee theme?
Brawl and Melee are still up there, but they aren't Ultimate that's for sure, Hahahaha.

*clears throat*

As for Smash 4's theme sound, every time I try to think about it, I can only scarcely remember it, all I can hear is Ultimate's theme song in it's place it's so weird.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
OKAY!

I've compiled a list of the top ten most active, and most supported Newcomers on this site.
They are ordered by the number of Supporters. The sole exceptions are K. Rool, Krystal and Bandana Waddle Dee: K. Rool has a Support List so huge that BKupa666 had to stop recording them; Krystal and Bandana Waddle Dee simply don't seem to have Support Lists? Maybe they were in the same boat, I don't know. I had to use K. Rool's Smash 4 era support list, but I imagine it's... bigger, let's just say that.

K. Rool
#1 Most Active; 661 Known Supporters​
Isaac
#3 Most Active; 372 Supporters​
Dixie Kong
#8 Most Active; 202 Supporters​
Captain Toad
#11 Most Active*; 151 Supporters​
Ashley
#2 Most Active; 138 Supporters (86 Supporters listed on Main Page)​
Lip
#7 Most Active; 117 Supporters​
Takamaru
#9 Most Active; 62 Supporters​
Geno
#6 Most Active; 52 Supporters​
Elma
#10 Most Active*; 50 Supporters​
Krystal
#4 Most Active; Unknown Support Number​
B. W. Dee
#5 Most Active; Unknown Support Number​

*With Captain Toad and Elma, their threads were equally active, and had almost the same amount of posts when I was compiling the list.
Alright, I'm currently compiling a more complete version of this count with all support threads. Once I'm done I'll turn it into a thread in itself.

One wrinkle is that not every thread has a Support List, and I don't want to have to go through each of those threads and count all the people who posted "I Support this character!" or some such in their threads.

If someone is willing to go and count the Supporters for Krystal, Bandana Dee, Rex & Pyra, Ray-Man, Agumon, Master Chief, Shovel Knight and whoever else I find without Support Lists (I'll add them in Post edits) for me, I'll be very grateful. Obviously, nobody has to do this. XD

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Brawl and Melee are still up there, but they aren't Ultimate that's for sure, Hahahaha.

*clears throat*

As for Smash 4's theme sound, every time I try to think about it, I can only scarcely remember it, all I can hear is Ultimate's theme song in it's place it's so weird.
Clearly that's just because the Ultimate theme is just a port remix of the Smash 4 theme song.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah it really does depends if they would be lazy or not. Also I hate you right now for giving me hope about Fiora. My heart still hasn't repair yet :(
No it is funny though that the Final Smash is exactly the same without any sort of accommodations for her, she really is just inserted in there without any real rhyme or reason given. If she’s an Echo though then it would be easy because they already have a unique model, and since her and Elma are so similar if Elma’s in the game then she can be based off of her without having to stressen the workload, and it’s a win-win for fans of both characters and parts of the franchise who may prefer one over the other.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No it is funny though that the Final Smash is exactly the same without any sort of accommodations for her, she really is just inserted in there without any real rhyme or reason given. If she’s an Echo though then it would be easy because they already have a unique model, and since her and Elma are so similar if Elma’s in the game then she can be based off of her without having to stressen the workload, and it’s a win-win for fans of both characters and parts of the franchise who may prefer one over the other.
She's put in because the romance between Shulk and Fiora was one of Xenoblade's biggest story things. Though Reyn STILL not being involved is baffling. Also Elma and Fiora have very different Arts from what little I remember of both of them

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I guess I'm that weirdo who actually really liked Smash 4's theme. I still remember first hearing it during E3 2013 and Loving it immediately.

Granted, Brawl's is still my favorite, but still. I really like Smash 4's theme.

I'm really liking what I've heard of Ultimate's theme as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Was the footage of Shulk’s updated FS voiced? Fiora may not even have a voice during that sequence, so that could be something, I guess

dammit, I was sure I’d moved on and focused on a promising future with Elma WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Hey if it gives me the opportunity to play as Fiora then I'm game. :)

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman

I figured I'd give my input on which stages are returning and which are not

Peach's Castle and Kongo Jungle: While I know even stages from the Wii U version are getting recreated, it would still seem pointless not to just port these stages over as they'd look identical anyway. Especially since Kongo Jungle Melee was renamed. But it leaves me wondering if Peach's Castle Melee will be renamed

Zebes: It's very similar to Brinstar. While also different enough that both can coexist. But I do kinda doubt it

Sector Z: Highly doubtful, while a bit bigger than Corneria, they're still essentially the same

Mushroom Kingdom (both): I think we're getting one or none. We do already have Mushroomy Kingdom too. And Mario Maker for SMB1 stuff. But I do think we'll get one. Both is possible but not likely in my books.

Rainbow Ride: I'm leaning towards no. Stages as dynamic and platform heavy as this seem be a thing of the past. Even Orbital Gate was more like different sections instead of constant movement. And 3D Land either always has plenty of place to land or it's not actually scrolling. We also do have a lot of Mario stages already

Yoshi's Island Melee: It was in the Wii U version, but those stages are getting updated too. So just porting could mean standing out more unlike the 64 stages. But it has been here since Melee so why not?

Fountain of Dreams: It's a megaton fan favourite for its beautiful visuals. It has no reason not to return honestly

Poke Floats: This one gets mixed love and hate. But I don't think it's returning, very dynamic like Rainbow Ride and you start on a giant Squirtle who is also playable.

Brinstar Depths: I'm leaning towards yes. We know the stage is getting a new remix. And it had a very memorable atmosphere and Kraid is pretty popular. Helps Metroid only has 3 stages back so far.

Mute City: Mute City is coming back, I have no doubt on that, question is which one. I actually think it will either be both or this one. Mute City is the most iconic F-Zero location. It should come back

Icicle Mountain: Vertically scolling stages seem gone and it wasn't exactly popular

Delphino Plaza: I hope it's back. We are getting a new remix so I think it has a good chance. But we do have a lot of Mario stages

Mario Bros: This stage was a mess. 8 player might improve it but this was one of the most unplayable stages ever made, but I could see it coming back. But I do lean towards no if they have to limit themselves.

Jungle Falls: See Icicle Mountain

Pirate Ship: The only unconfirmed Zelda stage. It's a stage to me that should return but Spirit Train does seem to have the toon games covered. Especially with it being in the background of Toon Links page on the site. So I'm actually thinking its not coming back which is a shame to me

Hanenbow: This and Miiverse are currently the only emblemed universe not in smash ultimate. I think that's probably how its going to be too.

Golden Plains: This is a tricky one. We know Golden effect is back, but it's affect has been changed to that of a Xerneas like powerup rather than completely stopping knockback. It's gimmick was initially designed to take advantage of 3DS but it be tweaked to work on other systems. I lean towards no though.

Rainbow Road: This stage should be back, Rainbow Road is probably the most iconic Mario Kart track out there and it sucks we just have two Mario Circuits right now, even with so many Mario stages, this just seems like something that should be back. I mean the Wii U version had 4 different Rainbow Road themes.

Paper Mario: I think we should have a stage from the Mario RPG series. But I think we're getting a new stage instead. Mario has always gotten more than one new stage. Even with all of its returning stages I still expect Mario to get multiple new stages too. On top of New Donk, I'm thinking a Bowser themed stage (me thinks World Bowser or generic castle) and a Mario RPG stage (Paper Jam would be brilliant if pulled from the entirety of both series)

Dream Land: This stage gave me the impression it was only there for the handheld aspect of the 3DS version. It'd have a cool gimmick if it wasn't limited to one franchise. I'm leaning towards no

Mute City: While I think Melee Mute City will take priority, I actually think we're getting every F-Zero stage just like Earthbound is. It's also unique in its layout among the F-Zero stages and stages as a whole.

Pac-Maze: Here's the thing, I actually think we're only getting one stage per third party franchise, and it's gimmick was very dependent on the 3DS.

Woolly World: No way it doesn't in my opinion. Woolly World was successful enough, got a bunch of tie in amiibo, a 3DS port and a sequel on the way. With its unique aesthetic, I can't see them leaving it out

Jungle Hijinx: I'm curious how this stage will function with more dynamic backgrounds but I don't think it's a big deal. It should return

Pyrosphere: Definitely don't see this happening, with Ridley FINALLY playable, I don't think they'll also have him as a boss, even if that was a clone

Orbital Gate Assault: They put a lot of effort into this stage, I don't see them not returning it. Plus it helps it might have actually been spotted on Meta Knights stage

Gamer: I don't see why this stage wouldn't be back. Unless the dynamic backgrounds would affect the mum too much. But Wario only has one stage so far. And this was an awesome stage.

Windy Hill Zone: Again, I think Third Party stages are stuck with one stage each, sort of equal them out in way. And Green Hill is THE sonic stage. Plus if we got another, I think it would be from Forces or Mania

Miiverse: nope
Forgot about Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Was the footage of Shulk’s updated FS voiced? Fiora may not even have a voice during that sequence, so that could be something, I guess

dammit, I was sure I’d moved on and focused on a promising future with Elma WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME
I think voice acting was disabled for the direct so I have no idea, it could be possible though.

You know what they say both is better.
Hey if it gives me the opportunity to play as Fiora then I'm game. :)
Literally as long as she’s playable that’s what matters most.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wouldn't be hopeful in Fiora's chances. Her model looking more detailed is quite literally tinfoil theory.
I'd prefer Dunban anyway

Last edited:

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
Fiora won't be playable because spoilers.

When I made this argument before people cited ZSS being a spoiler but by her inclusion in Brawl the Prime series had made it common knowledge that Samus is a girl.

If there's gonna be a new Xenoblade rep it's Rex / Pyra who idgaf about I've never played Xenoblade

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I wouldn't be hopeful in Fiora's chances. Her model looking more updated is quite literally tinfoil theory.
I'd prefer Dunban anyway
Actually what was being pointed out was that her model had more detail than the other characters in Shulk’s Final Smash.

Also as I said, it could likely be nothing but it’s always fun to speculate.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?

When I made this argument before people cited ZSS being a spoiler but by her inclusion in Brawl the Prime series had made it common knowledge that Samus is a girl.

If there's gonna be a new Xenoblade rep it's Rex / Pyra who idgaf about I've never played Xenoblade
But they showed the spoilers your talking about in the E3 trailer so that excuse can't be used at all lol.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
This is by far one of the worst arguments I’ve heard for a character. As long as the character is fun to play, it shouldn’t matter. Otherwise we wouldn’t have Sheik or Lucina.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Sheik being Zelda is a spoiler from a 20 yo game and Lucina was shown in promotional material for Awakening.
So? I think it's quite clear now that Sakurai doesn't really care about spoilers in smash at all, he does it so much times now.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Sheik being Zelda is a spoiler from a 20 yo game and Lucina was shown in promotional material for Awakening.
You're probably gunna get a ton of **** for this...but you realize when Melee came out and Shiek was in it it was only a couple of years since Ocarina (2 I think)?

And also that it's been almost a decade since Xenoblade Chronicles so your 20 year thing actually works against you.

Also also, the Lucina spoiler isn't her existence but that she is Chroms daughter...which was spoiled in her reveal trailer lol.

Yea Sakurai don't give a **** about spoilers.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
At the time Sheik was in Smash, OoT wasn't 20 years old. I don't remember Lucina being in promotional material, hut rather 'Marth'. Ganondorf uses his Twilight Princess design, who only appears at the end of that game. Hell, Smash 4's Xenoblade trophies include stuff like Jade Face and the spoilery plot twist behind it, I got mad that no effort was done to hide it

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

*clears throat*

I can remember Smash 4’s theme song, but I’m able to remember Ultimate’s theme even more
I guess I'm that weirdo who actually really liked Smash 4's theme. I still remember first hearing it during E3 2013 and Loving it immediately.

Granted, Brawl's is still my favorite, but still. I really like Smash 4's theme.

I'm really liking what I've heard of Ultimate's theme as well.
I also like the Sm4sh theme

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sheik most certainly wasn’t common knowledge when she was put in Melee so I dunno where people get that idea.

Also Lucina being Chrom’s daughter from the future wasn’t revealed in promotional material was it?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At the time Sheik was in Smash, OoT wasn't 20 years old. I don't remember Lucina being in promotional material, hut rather 'Marth'. Ganondorf uses his Twilight Princess design, who only appears at the end of that game. Hell, Smash 4's Xenoblade trophies include stuff like Jade Face and the spoilery plot twist behind it, I got mad that no effort was done to hide it
There’s also Lucas’s Brawl trophy, and some of the dialogue in Palutena’s trailer spoils a chapter in the latter half of KIU.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There’s also Lucas’s Brawl trophy, and some of the dialogue in Palutena’s trailer spoils a chapter in the latter half of KIU.
Oh yeah, it fell through a lot of people’s radar but there’s a line in her trailer that’s actually a major spoiler for one the conflicts later in the game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sheik most certainly wasn’t common knowledge when she was put in Melee so I dunno where people get that idea.

Also Lucina being Chrom’s daughter from the future wasn’t revealed in promotional material was it?
It wasn’t, Lucina’s status as Chrom’s dsughter was only spoiled in her/Robin’s Smash trailer
You're probably gunna get a ton of **** for this...but you realize when Melee came out and Shiek was in it it was only a couple of years since Ocarina (2 I think)?

And also that it's been almost a decade since Xenoblade Chronicles so your 20 year thing actually works against you.

Also also, the Lucina spoiler isn't her existence but that she is Chroms daughter...which was spoiled in her reveal trailer lol.

Yea Sakurai don't give a **** about spoilers.
Sakurai even spoiled three different major events in KI Uprising 2 years after its release, so more proof that Daddy Sakurai gives no ****s

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I get we wouldn't have gotten a lot of what we have in Smash if it wasn't for revealing spoilers but like come on Sakurai! Seriously, never getting to experience the Shiek reveal for myself is one of the most dissapointing points of my childhood (which....on second thought is actually a good thing lol).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All of Awakening's promotional material billed Lucina as "Marth" in her disguise. The whole "children from the future coming to save the past" plotline was kept secret. Hell, I remember the Lucina thread on this site was forced to tiptoe around the spoilers about her being Chrom's daughter.

Like Blue being the champion in the first Pokémon games, Lucina's identity is just a big example of a late-arrival spoiler. The same can be said for Sheik and, yes, Fiora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom