• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But why Lucario? They have next to no similarities outside of being feline-esque and Pokemon
You answered your own question.
Echoes don't exactly adhere to lore, just what's convenient and will please fans who just want technical playability.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Now that the standards for the template have lowered I'll do the laziest one yet.

Main: Probably Inkling
Secondaries:Mario, Marth, Mewtwo, Wolf and Ridley
Most wanted: King K Rool, Paper Mario and Geno
Least wanted: Minecraft Steve, Goku, any non-video game character, any non-echo Fire Emblem character

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Aside from being an upright cat/jackal their body types are pretty dissimilar. Zeraora hunches over a lot more and has a very different build for its arms, legs body and head that's make rigging it with Lucario's animations pretty much impossible.

The idea of relevance is something that I think a lot of people overemphasise as a factor for a chapters inclusion, especially for a character who was revealed in 2018 for a game who's project plan would've been drawn up in early 2016 at the latest
To add to this, because Smash Ultimate's roster was supposedly finalized in 2015, I seriously doubt that Zeraora would be implemented into the base game, unless it's planned to be a Poke Ball Pokemon.

Well, yeah, that's why I'm saying he should be an Echo, BECAUSE of how new he is. If he's DLC, I'd imagine they'd make him a semi-clone of Lucario ala Wolf
That's not the way that fighters are categorized as Echo Fighters. In order to be an Echo Fighter, you (supposedly) have to...
  1. Originate from the same franchise as the fighter you're mimicking.
  2. The moveset has to be (almost) exactly alike, which even includes special moves. Final Smashes don't have to be alike though.
  3. Fighter attributes have to be exactly the same.
Zeraora automatically fails #2, as it doesn't even come close to copying Lucario's moveset; it obviously can't use Aura.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
But why Lucario? They have next to no similarities outside of being feline-esque and Pokemon
I think Zeraora getting in as a Lucario Echo isn't possible, because he wouldn't be possible as a natural alt-costume, of which is a requirement as Echoes are glorified alts instead of just clones. However if you were to try forcing Zeraora in as an Echo, Lucario would be the best option, since the other pokemon are even farther apart and the Star Fox characters are too humanoid in build. and who else would be the slightest bit viable?

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Today must be opposite day, because I've never heard a single soul advocate for four Marths ever.
I was thinking of the Chrom and Celcia echoes echo ideas for Ike and Robin respectively. Marth would be a bit much.

I wouldn't mind a Fire Emblem echo too much since it doesn't take development time from anybody.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I had plenty of time to think about this at work, and I've apparently fully given in to my bias

oh well

You're missing out then. The real high-tier Fire Emblem pick is an echo of Lucina
Obviously what we need is an Echo of Lucina who has a tipper effect on their sword

Noipoi

Howdy!
I had a template but I couldn't upload it, so I shall continue the text template tradition!

Main: :ultinkling::ultpokemontrainer:
Secondary: :ultridley::ultpichu:
Most Wanted: Ashley, Rayman, Ashley, Amaterasu, K Rool, Ashley, Geno, Ashley, Ashley, ASHLEY.
Least Wanted: Rabbid, Steve.

Really excited to try tons of characters! And i'm sure you can tell who I want the most.
Tingle ASHLEY!

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I had plenty of time to think about this at work, and I've apparently fully given in to my bias

oh well

Obviously what we need is an Echo of Lucina who has a tipper effect on their sword
Bias? Where? This seems like a total feasible template. Just and Rex and Pyra and you're good to go

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

oh well

All your most wanted picks are from Xeno games, and yet you don't main or even second Shulk...

:thinking:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man wouldn't it be cool if we had an echo of Lucina that required more skill? Like, imagine if they rewarded the player for spacing their attacks to the tip of Lucina's blade and had less reward for hitting with the hilt of the blade. Maybe make them a boy but still make them feminine. Call em Mars or something.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was thinking of the Chrom and Celcia echoes echo ideas for Ike and Robin respectively. Marth would be a bit much.

I wouldn't mind a Fire Emblem echo too much since it doesn't take development time from anybody.
Having Echoes take up priority in a character selection is pretty weird, IMO. I'd rather have unique people like Micaiah, Ephraim, Hector, Tiki, Caeda, list goes on. I can't see how having more clones instead of unique characters can be a good alternative when they're usually the last to be considered in the game.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
There was a Pokemon conversation last night? Aww man. Can't believe I missed it. Those have been pretty scarce lately. Nice to get back to some of the done to death pre-E3 conversations every once in a while.

Well, in an attempt to rekindle the topic, which of the three big contenders - Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc (purposely leaving out Incineroar because not much has changed for him) - do you think took the biggest hit after the info we got following E3?

Decidueye - Ivysaur returned and it might have been too early for Sakurai to know about its involvement with Pokken.
Mimikyu - Pichu returned and popularity likely wouldn't have been a factor.
Lycanroc - Might have been too early for Sakurai to know about the Dusk form.

For me, I'd say Decidueye. Not so much because it would no longer be the only grass type, but because I noticed a lot of people switching over to say Incineroar is the most likely. Feels like people are looking more toward the anime and timing when they consider a Pokemon's chances.
I still think Mimikyu is the most likely because he's been pushed the most by the Pokemon company.

Also I don't think the Dusk form being late would affect Lycanroc's chances since if he was in they probably would've started off with the day form which is very similar to the Dusk Lycanroc except for the colour, hair, minor stat changes and ability(which is never factored into smash). They could've easily replaced the day form with dusk form without really changing anything.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
All your most wanted picks are from Xeno games, and yet you don't main or even second Shulk...

:thinking:
One of the saddest parts of Smash For for me was how Shulk didn't resonate me in gameplay, because there was no character I advocated more during speculation than Shulk, and with XC1 being my favorite game

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Zeraora automatically fails #2, as it doesn't even come close to copying Lucario's moveset; it obviously can't use Aura.
Zeraora wouldn't be feasible as an Echo for Lucario, but not for the reason you state; being able to canonically use a character's moves or not doesn't matter, Lucina doesn't fight like Marth and Daisy isn't able to float nor has Toads serving her, what makes canonical sense is secondary. What matters is if the character's model can mechanically share a character's skeleton and do all their moves/animations without technical issues. Now this is where a Zeraora Echo would fail, not that you couldn't slap on the Aura gimmick to him or just couldn't change the Aura attacks from having Aura hitboxes to electrical hitboxes and make him an electrical Lucario that has no Aura gimmick.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
regarding pokemon chat, I think that mimikyu is still the most relevant in popularity, but I wonder what moveset it would have.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Having Echoes take up priority in a character selection is pretty weird, IMO. I'd rather have unique people like Micaiah, Ephraim, Hector, Tiki, Caeda, list goes on. I can't see how having more clones instead of unique characters can be a good alternative when they're usually the last to be considered in the game.
I still want more unique characters tho, I'd rather those unique characters be ones that I want more, which is why I don't want a non-echo Fire Emblem character. In general I don't care about echoes so I'm mostly ok with whoever gets in as one.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Mains
Peach
Daisy
Rosalina
I Know Im Cheating Dont Care

Secondary
Young Link
Zelda
Lucina
Cloud

Most Wanted Newcomers
Rayman
Geno
Elma
Incineroar
K Rool and Dixie Kong
Ashley
Ninten
Chrom

Least Wanted
Medusa
Chorus Kids
Mach Rider
Lip
Sora
Hilda

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Mains
Peach
Daisy
Rosalina
I Know Im Cheating Dont Care

Secondary
Young Link
Zelda
Lucina
Cloud

Most Wanted Newcomers
Rayman
Geno
Elma
Incineroar
K Rool and Dixie Kong

Least Wanted
Ashley
Chorus Kids
Mach Rider
Lip
Hilda
Least Wanted
Ashley

Explain yourself.

I'm not really mad i'm just curious chill out

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Now I can communicate my cultured weird taste in characters by simply posting an image!
smash picks .png

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One of the saddest parts of Smash For for me was how Shulk didn't resonate me in gameplay, because there was no character I advocated more during speculation than Shulk, and with XC1 being my favorite game
I feel the exact same way.
I had two main problems.
1. He doesn't have his weapon out and that quirk looks stupid on top of giving him terrible frame data.
2. His entire repertoire of flashy and cool looking Monado Arts has been relegated to made-up buff/debuffs.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Least Wanted
Ashley

Explain yourself.

I'm not really mad i'm just curious chill out
Hating popular things is cool.

His entire repertoire of flashy and cool looking Monado Arts has been relegated to made-up buff/debuffs.
Don't remind me. You're giving me flashbacks of Shulk stealing War Swing from Reyn.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My least wanted character is your favorite.

Yes you.

You reading this post.

Your favorite character? It's dumb. I hate it.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I also suck at photoshop:

Main:
Robin

Secondary:
Zelda
Lucina
Daisy (Before I'd say Peach, but I want that sweet, sweet inevitable "Hi! I'm Daisy!" taunt)
Lemmy (Best Koopaling)

Most Wanted:
Impa
King K Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Dixie Kong
Bandanna Dee
Rayman
Chrom
Ashley

Least Wanted:
Rex & Pyra