• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah but the fourth entry in the series is a supernatural small-town murder mystery and the fifth is about a gang of young thieves
The fifth is about a gang of young thieves that has it's framing device in a Prison, and the villain's end goal is remaking the world in his own image.

Calling it now, Persona 6 will be a roadtrip around America. XD

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Btw it's weird to think this will be the first Smash with less newcomers then the last one.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There's some extra stuff attached to it (mainly because I keep putting off actually making a Caeda thread lol) but here you go!

Caeda Flies In!

Moveset

Jab: Caeda strikes twice with her spear and then twirls it.
Dash Attack: Caeda performs an aerial corkscrew into the opponent.
Side Tilt: Caeda swings the Wing Spear downward from overhead.
Up Tilt: Caeda's pegasus bumps her upward off its back while she holds her spear skyward.
Down Tilt: Caeda's pegasus flaps its wings downward, with each up and down movement causing minor damage.

Side Smash: Caeda's pegasus charges forward with Caeda's Wing Spear held outward.
Up Smash: Caeda's pegasus faces toward the screen and bucks its back legs upward.
Down Smash: Caeda's pegasus rears up and stomps its hooves, bringing down its wings for a two-part smash attack.

Neutral Aerial: Caeda's pegasus does a quick midair somersault, doing minor damage.
Forward Aerial: Caeda lunges forward with her Wing Spear, doing heavy damage.
Back Aerial: Caeda turns her pegasus around to strike the opponent with a backhanded spear attack.
Up Aerial: Caeda raises her lance and twirls it in a helicopter spin. A multihit move.
Down Aerial: Caeda's pegasus kicks its hooves downwards, potentially causing a meteor effect.

Grab and Pummel: Caeda's pegasus bites onto the opponent while Caeda strikes them with her Wing Spear for a pummel.
Forward Throw: Caeda's pegasus charges into them, sending them flying.
Back Throw: Caeda whistles, making her pegasus swing its head, tossing the foe backward before bucking them with its back hooves.
Up Throw: Caeda scoops the foe up with her Wing Spear and stabs them as they're sent skyward.
Down Throw: Caeda's pegasus "counts" on the foe several times before stomping on them.

Neutral Special: Armorcrusher - In Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem, Caeda was given a signature weapon, the Wing Spear. Like the rapier, this was effective against heavily armored and units on horseback. In Smash, this translates to her Neutral Special. In this chargeable attack, Caeda's pegasus flies backwards into the air, preparing to charge, before rushing forward and downward with Caeda's Wing Spear extended. This not only does heavy shield damage, but it also breaks through any enemy super armor when fully charged. However, the charging animation leaves Caeda vulnerable to attack. This move is named after a lance skill from Shadows of Valentia.

Side Special: Tempest Lance - Based on a skill for the Steel Lance from Shadows of Valentia, this attack involves Caeda drawing her lance and holding it outward. From its tip shoots a gust of razor wind similar to Mega Man's Air Shooter. A multihit projectile that travels horizontally with a maximum range of roughly the length of half of Final Destination. Like Greninja's Water Shuriken, it carries the opponent within it until it reaches its maximum range.

Up Special: Wings of Talys - This move has Caeda's pegasus perform a rising corkscrew attack before then gliding diagonally downward in the direction Caeda is facing. A simple recovery that can also be used as an attack.

Down Special: Hit and Run - Once again, this is named after a lance skill found in a Shadows of Valentia, though it is also a very common skill for flying units in Fire Emblem Heroes. In this attack, Caeda does a quick burst maneuver in which her pegasus flies at the opponent before making an immediate u-turn. This makes it an effective get-off-me tool on land. In the air, however, this attack gains a minor homing effect and can double as an offensive horizontal recovery. She will strike the foe before rushing back in the direction she came from, making this quite a potent edge guarding tool, further establishing Caeda's aerial dominance.

Final Smash: Queen of the Skies - Caeda breaks open the Smash Ball and is then capable of free, uninterrupted flight. She can charge into her foes for damage, similar to Super Sonic, but she can also toss spears toward the ground beneath her with the the attack button. Caeda also is much more durable while this move is being performed. After a set amount of time, the move ends.

Gameplay Overview:
Caeda is the first Smash fighter to fight while riding a mount (in this case, her pegasus). Due to this, she is one of the largest fighters in the game. Her pegasus stands at right about Bowser's height, which is slightly shorter than Fire Emblem's mounts usually are, but is just fine for Smash. The wings of the pegasus are also slightly downsized, but not to a ridiculous degree.

For those concerned about potentially having a character with canonically unlimited flight, I feel the need to point out that in Fire Emblem, Pegasus Knights do not have unlimited flight. This is shown by the fact that despite it being higher than most other classes, there still exists a cap for movement on a Pegasus Knight. Not to mention that in more recent games, their mounts are often shown landing after combat.

As far as ledge mechanics, which can become awkward with mounted characters, Caeda herself grabs the ledge while her pegasus flies next to her, off on the z-axis where it no longer counts as a hit box. Caeda's get-up attack, ledge jump, and ledge roll animations all feature her remounting her pegasus during the attack, making the transition seamlessly fluid.

Caeda has the highest air speed in the game due to speed being her best stat by far in her own games (she'll often cap her speed stat before promoting to an advanced class). In addition, she has a minor added gimmick similar to Bowser Jr.'s. Energy-based projectiles (such as Robin's Thoron) will have their damage greatly reduced when striking Caeda, but physical projectiles (like Link's arrows) will do more damage than normal, referencing Caeda's incredibly high Resistance and low Defense, in addition to the Pegasus Knight class's arrow weakness by proxy.

Why Caeda? Who is she?
Realistically Caeda likely won't make the cut, but that doesn't mean she isn't without merits of her own.

Caeda is arguably the second most important playable protagonist from Marth's games (Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, Mystery of the Emblem, and their remakes, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem). She is playable right from the beginning and is responsible for recruiting a large portion of Marth's army (in Shadow Dragon, other than Marth himself, anyone that can recruit characters only recruits one other character...Caeda recruits five). And at the end of Shadow Dragon, she becomes Marth's fiancée, while at the end of New Mystery, she is crowned Queen alongside Marth as King.

Caeda is also the most important character in the series of the Pegasus Knight class line, an iconic Fire Emblem class that has existed since the beginning of the series. Caeda also gets lots of promotion from Intelligent Systems in comparison to most other Fire Emblem characters, especially of those who existed before Awakening gave the series more widespread appeal. She has a fair share of merchandise of her own, such as her own Nendoroid figure. She has been getting more attention as of late as well, now having Fire Emblem Warriors under her belt, as well as having received her own unique weapon upgrade in Fire Emblem Heroes.

Caeda, while unlikely, isn't without merit or importance, and could offer a fighting style unlike anything else in Smash.

Bonus Material:

Entrance Animation:
Caeda flies in on her pegasus as it rears up and whinnies.

Taunts:
Up Taunt: Caeda raises her lance and says "Throw down your weapon!"
Side Taunt: Caeda pets the head of her pegasus as it whinnies.
Down Taunt: Caeda tosses her hair back and says "What a shame."

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: Caeda flies in on her pegasus and says "A lovely battle."
Victory 2: Caeda brushes her pegasus as a small bird lands on her finger.
Victory 3: Caeda leaps from her pegasus and twirls her Wing Spear, saying "Don't underestimate me!"

Victory VS Marth: Victory Pose 3, except she says "I hope I didn't hurt you too badly" before smiling.
Stop making me feel old Opossum! :mad088:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pit was supposed to be one. That's how I pictured him pre-Brawl. But then Sakurai had him split his bow into two smaller blades.
Makes sense, how can you fight with a regular bow?

EDIT: No, really, how? Can a "pure archer" fan explain?

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
So...

Who do you see as the likeliest front runner for a Zedla newcomer?

Skull Kid?

A Champion?

Impa?
In terms of full on new original move set, i'd say skull kid, Majoras mask 3d came out during the project planing stage of the game.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'd agree with this list. I'd put Rayman below Crash, but that's splitting hairs. :laugh:

If the N. Sane Trilogy had been announced when the Ballot was active, I'm sure Crash would have gotten a toooooooon of votes.
The artsy omni leak which happened around the time the ballot started definitely helped rayman's case imo, as well as him being a trophy in smash 4. in early 2015 I think Rayman would have done better than Crash tbh

sneakycrown

Smash Cadet
So I think based off reading this thread and the various "leaks" I think I have what seem to be the consensus top 10 most likely characters. Let's play a game, order these 10 in who you believe is most likely to least likely to be playable. Here's mine....

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee
1. Simon Belmont (All but confirmed in my book)
2. King K Rool (They have to now, right?)
3. Dixie Kong (I know some DK fans will be mad at this but she could just be a Diddy Echo, easy to program.)
4. Bandana Dee (C'MON SAKURAI HEAR THE OUTCRY)
5. Isabelle (With all the leaks I'd be shocked if she didn't get in at this point, tbh)
6. Ashley (While not as high as the other 5, Ashley might appeal to Sakurai more than, say, a Shadow or Decidueye would.)
7. Shadow (I doubt these 4 will ever get in, but Shadow would be hype.)
8. Geno (I'd love him but copyright)
9. Decidueye (I don't think the team would work on another pokemon.)
1. Elma (I just... don't think they'll add another Xenoblade character.)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
So...

Skull Kid?

A Champion?

Impa?
For unique? Skull Kid. He's a bit more than a one-off AND he's stood the test of time and become somewhat iconic AND his remake was right around the time of the project plan. If we get a Zelda newcomer I'd bet on him.

D

Deleted member

*insert a joke related to Metal Shop X Metal Shop X here*

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ideas for Beedle
• wears his rhino-beetle style backpack making him a heavyweight
• backpack has tiny propellers connected to peddles; this allows Beedle to manuvear in the air
• can start a campfire with down B creating updrafts
• uses items from the series to fight

Noipoi

Howdy!
So I think based off reading this thread and the various "leaks" I think I have what seem to be the consensus top 10 most likely characters. Let's play a game, order these 10 in who you believe is most likely to least likely to be playable. Here's mine....

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee
We're doing more lists? Okay.

1. King K Rool
2. Decidueye/Incineroar/Mimikyu
3. Dixie Kong
4. Ashley
5. Geno
6. Simon Belmont
7. Elma
8. Bandana Dee
9. Isabelle
10. Shadow

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know, people say they think Sakurai will go back to the drawing board for characters (namely: Excite Biker/Mach Rider, Dixie, Chorus Kids, Plusle & Minun)... now, about Excite Biker/Mach Rider.

The thing is... Sakurai dropped them for a reason: Working out how to make a Motorbike work in Smash Bros. is a logistical nightmare, and this is one thing I think Sakurai won't change his mind on. The fact that Wario uses a bike in his Side Special doesn't change this (notice how you can't jump with it).

This isn't a "Downscaling Ridley makes him not Ridley anymore" or "Villager is a non-combatant" thing, either.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So...

Skull Kid?

A Champion?

Impa?
You're just begging for an argument to break out in this thread, aren't you?

Skull Kid's missing AT should be taken with a grain of salt. None of the KI, AC, or WarioWare Assist Trophies have even been seen yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up retaining his role from Smash 4. Still, he hasn't been disconfirmed yet. That's more than what Midna, Tingle, and Pig Ganon can say.

Feels like I'm the only one suspicious about the Champions. Most people dismiss them and say they'll end up being ATs, but we've already seen more than half (29) of the 51-59 ATs in Ultimate. Highly unlikely we'll get four more Zelda ATs at this point, let alone four from the same game. Time might not be on their side, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one of these four get in Smash.

With Impa, it's hard to say. Impa supporters didn't get word on her fate in Smash 4 until the official release, so I could easily see us not knowing about Impa until December. If we're talking about Echoes, I think she's easily the frontrunner. If we're talking about unique fighters, I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, people say they think Sakurai will go back to the drawing board for characters (namely: Excite Biker/Mach Rider, Dixie, Chorus Kids, Plusle & Minun)... now, about Excite Biker/Mach Rider.

The thing is... Sakurai dropped them for a reason: Working out how to make a Motorbike work in Smash Bros. is a logistical nightmare, and this is one thing I think Sakurai won't change his mind on. The fact that Wario uses a bike in his Side Special doesn't change this (notice how you can't jump with it).

This isn't a "Downscaling Ridley makes him not Ridley anymore" or "Villager is a non-combatant" thing, either.
No, the fact that Sakurai acknowledges a character's existence means they are a shoo-in for being playable.

I have every right to hype myself over it and then complain if it turned out to be wrong.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like how people talked about verlisify while forgetting to mention he defends nazis as seen with his tweets about Charlotesville.
Who?

Really tho, I’ve never heard of him. What’s he known for (aside from making those disrespectful Charlottesville tweets)?

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don't really see a Zelda newcomer happening. Maybe Impa as an echo of Shiek though Skull Kid or Tetra would be neat.

Who?

Really tho, I’ve never heard of him. What’s he known for (aside from making those disrespectful Charlottesville tweets)?
Trash Pokemon Youtuber.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
It’s been 4 weeks since the Ultimate reveal, about a month. I’ve been satisfied by Smash and distracted by other things (vacations with no cell service, beating XC2, etc.), so I haven’t been itching for new Smash info.

Now, we are 1/6 of the way through the wait. If we expect even just 5-10 more newcomers in the best possible scenario, there’s not a lot of time left until the release of the game. Some stuff might be left unlockable, but in the social media age and following Smash 4’s example, I don’t expect unlockables to have a huge presence.

The E3 presentation felt very surface level, setting up the main selling point of having every veteran. Nothing that much that was actually entirely new. The entire speculation scene was smashed to bits (I think RTC is still rerating characters). The other newcomers to compete with the likes of Ridley and Inkling will be very interesting but limited.

I’d suspect (not expect) another reveal in July, if not then than at least in the Fall Direct near September. I just wonder if reveals will be spread out, or if a multitude of newcomers are dropped at once.
My bet's on August.
So...

Skull Kid?

A Champion?

Impa?
A Champion (Hopefully Mipha)
Then Impa either as a echo or a unique.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't really see a Zelda newcomer happening. Maybe Impa as an echo of Shiek though Skull Kid or Tetra would be neat.

Trash Pokemon Youtuber.

Yeah that's probably the best we're gonna get, I'd prefer a semi-clone at least but it seems like sakurai doesn't want to do semi-clones anymore

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So...

Skull Kid?

A Champion?

Impa?
Skull Kid, possibly, but none really have a lot of a chance. Impa’d make a good Sheik echo as well.

I’d love Urbosa, but I can’t see them only taking one champion since all four are equally important. Plus, even the devs have different favorites. Either make all four, or none (or Urbosa - I’m hypocritical enough to be okay with that). I’d be really salty if they only picked one and left the others with nothing, particularly one without a good characterization or who just gets in on “muh moveset” or “muh recency”

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So...

Skull Kid?

A Champion?

Impa?
Although a long shot, I don't think it's entirely out there to think Skull Kid had a lot of popularity. Even with the AT, Skull Kid might still have done well. I mean, Majora's Mask is one of the beloved games in the Zelda series and Skull Kid was a really memorable villain from that game. You could also argue that he is relevant since he has made appearances in every iteration of Hyrule Warriors and returned in Majora's Mask 3D.
If what I'm thinking is correct, my theory is that the only reason why Sakurai has not included a Zelda newcomer is because he didn't exactly know who to include. Even if that statement still holds true on the Ballot as votes will go to multiple Zelda characters, I think Sakurai will see who is the most demanded Zelda character.
Even then, I'm not holding my breath, but I'd like to see a Zelda newcomer happen. The series is ripe with many characters that could bring new stuff to the table.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Although a long shot, I don't think it's entirely out there to think Skull Kid had a lot of popularity. Even with the AT, Skull Kid might still have done well. I mean, Majora's Mask is one of the beloved games in the Zelda series and Skull Kid was a really memorable villain from that game. You could also argue that he is relevant since he has made appearances in every iteration of Hyrule Warriors and returned in Majora's Mask 3D.
If what I'm thinking is correct, my theory is that the only reason why Sakurai has not included a Zelda newcomer is because he didn't exactly know who to include. Even if that statement still holds true on the Ballot as votes will go to multiple Zelda characters, I think Sakurai will see who is the most demanded Zelda character.
Even then, I'm not holding my breath, but I'd like to see a Zelda newcomer happen. The series is ripe with many characters that could bring new stuff to the table.
Plus Majora's Mask 3D released 2 months before the ballot launched and was pretty damn successful so it's safe to say he was fresh on a lot of people's minds at that point. And the Hyrule Warriors majora's mask pack had come out with no playable skull kid and hella people were clamouring for him to be playable in that.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
These are your new fighters:

1. K. Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Elma
4. Buzzwole or Decidueye
5. Mach Rider
6. Chorus Kids
7. Beedle
8. Geno
9. Belmont

Your welcome.

Last edited:

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Pit was supposed to be one. That's how I pictured him pre-Brawl. But then Sakurai had him split his bow into two smaller blades.
What are u talking about the pure archer should go to link from links crossbow training!

Best zelda game 10/10 - ign

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom