• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can make Igor unique, don't think we have ever had a fighter with an axe. Just saying if Sakurai wanted a unique fighter there's plenty to choose from actual mages like Robin instead of a none customisable avatar. It's a very minor thing but I don't think we are getting many more fire emblem characters and I really like the series so I just prefer more iconic ones.
Sure but Sakurai can't simply put whoever he wants. Paula and Poo, for example, would make more sense as Earthbound fighters but Ness had toplam be chosen, since he is the main character. Within Awakening you have three choises: Robin, Lucina and Chrom. Only Robin could do stuff Marth and Ike can't. After that, it's not rare RPG characters using skills they don't normally use in their games.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Kirby is the new Luigi's nose.

I don't wanna complain cos the info dump we got at E3 was awesome, but I wish Sakurai held the character trailers off the site until the character was introduced via the blog. Would make the blog actually worthwhile IMO. Can't wait to get new stuff announced.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
It'd be a dream to hear these Sonic tracks in Ultimate a bit modern, but that's cause...
I've never played any of the Classic Sonic except maybe one level forgive me ;_;

Edit: Wasn't finished computer was acting up.
Oh man, Frog Forest.... that track brings back so many memories. I loved the stage and theme, it’s so peaceful.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think the ship has sailed on trying to find a pattern on the Smash blog long ago...
Again and again, I am NOT trying to find a pattern, I'm trying to kill the time because talking over and over about echoes and fake leaks is extremely boring.
I'm just curious if they will do the same as last week or the same as the last week from june, not trying to look more far away than that.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Something I'd like to return from older games is using the Classic iterations of trophies from Melee. I thought that the fact they were designed solely off of their own series was very neat, especially the contrast between the classic non-detailed cast and the model we have in-game. Though, a lot has changed from 2001 to 2018, if they were to include them I don't think they'd (or for this example, Mario) would spot this design:

I think more realistically in today if they were to implement them it'd be either a model from New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Odyssey:
Though, to be truly woke, you'd use the old Mario 64 CSS since it's his earliest true 3D model.

And the Alt. Trophy would obviously be the Smash render, gained through either an All Star/New Adventure/any new mode in general. Wii U already had both an alternate costume variant (Melee called them Smash) and Final Smash trophies combined. Bringing the Classic trophy idea back is definitely a pipe dream, but a feasible one in my opinion. Would like to your thoughts.
I don't really like trophies, but the character trophies are an exception since I feel they're earned more directly than the rest. I really loved how Melee had the Smash render and then a version that was more indicative of their home series. The only problem with this is that when you're fixing up alternate character models for a trophy, then people (myself included) are going to start going "Why can't I play as that [insert character here]??"

Especially if they give Samus a non-Other M suit trophy and we're stuck with ol' Smooth McTronlines. Regardless I hope we get your idea.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Kirby is the new Luigi's nose.

I don't wanna complain cos the info dump we got at E3 was awesome, but I wish Sakurai held the character trailers off the site until the character was introduced via the blog. Would make the blog actually worthwhile IMO. Can't wait to get new stuff announced.
For some characters like Yoshi, Meta Knight and Greninja (characters who didn't even get a showcase in the Direct), a 2-sentence description in the "Today's Fighter" entry is welcome info. It can give an impression of what the devs have in mind for the character...

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
You know what? **** it. Keep hyping up yourself for no reason. You seem to love the constant feeling of disappointment
Well, I was disappointed as well today. I thought we found a pattern that we got a music track every Tuesday (Monday in America?). I was disappointed because that one music track was normally a really good thing to listen to. And it was the only actual "new" thing in the week. So maybe there is hope for another new item / stage / assist trophy / Pokéball Pokémon to be revealed this week? A fighter isn't coming people. Believe me. ;-)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, I was disappointed as well today. I thought we found a pattern that we got a music track every Tuesday (Monday in America?). I was disappointed because that one music track was normally a really good thing to listen to. And it was the only actual "new" thing in the week. So maybe there is hope for another new item / stage / assist trophy / Pokéball Pokémon to be revealed this week? A fighter isn't coming people. Believe me. ;-)
I'm pretty sure the Snipperclips track was added on a wednesday

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I searched for it. The Splatoon track was added on the 20th of June (Wednesday), just like the Snipperclips track (27th of June, also Wednesday). City Trial is just the odd one out and I am just a little stupid...

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
:pichumelee::ultpichu:

One of the greatest Pokemon to ever exist. I'm curious what types of buffs Pichu got for being away for 17 years
The only way i can see him be decent is to make him like little mac. Not as in "give him a terrible recovery" but make him a glass cannon. He can be amazingly easy to kill, but he has good killpower and possibly even can stun with his self-harming attacks to combo. So now you just have Clairen from RoA in smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It not even that I would at least expect a unique photo with the post but we don't even get that. No point of the blog tbh
I mean, if you already watched every video on the site, you can just stop following it, because it's what we'll get in the near future.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, if you already watched every video on the site, you can just stop following it, because it's what we'll get in the near future.
Nah, I agree that not even a new screenshot of the character can be disappointing, idk who said it but they really shouldn't have given us the character trailers until it was their day, then we'd have more to look forward to like that, people would anxiously wait hoping "Oh, when will Wario appear? Will he have his shoulder bash back?" and stuff

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
You know that's true and maybe I should but you can't say it annoying seeing these updates being such a snore

Wambo

Smash Ace
It not even that I would at least expect a unique photo with the post but we don't even get that. No point of the blog tbh
There really isn't.

I can't express enough how happy I am that we're getting literally every character back. I like the whole "everyone is here" theme, but at the same time, it was also a really poor decision to show everyone off at once, and have seemingly nothing else to show on the blog until release. A lot of people have been speculating that "this is the tip of the iceberg" and "Sakurai wants us to be surprised", but aside from maybe a few more stages and another newcomer (which, honestly, just looks like Simon), I can't help but shake this feeling that there's not too much left for us to see.

Supposedly, Sakurai's team went silent when he suggested that they bring back every fighter. Can you imagine the amount of work it's taken to bring in ALL 65 fighters?! I'd be speechless too. If development started immediately after the proposal in 2015/16, even with a team of a hundred people, it just doesn't seem like there's gonna be much outside normal matches. I feel like singleplayer modes will be lacking immensely (AGAIN), and unless they have some sort of plan to supply free content past release if you pay for Nintendo's Online thing, all we can pretty much expect currently is regular/online Smash and Classic/All-Star modes.

And Smash Tour, if Sakurai didn't realize that we couldn't give less of a **** if that thing never existed in the first place.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
I say the best thing to do would be to only check the website at the end of every week. Or month, seeing as nothing much will happen until they finally run out of revealed material.
I've thought of doing that, but at the same time, I'm worried about missing something and having ****ing GameXplain or some 14 year-old on YouTube spoil it for me.

Zeox

Smash Champion
For the Record, here's every Fighter of the Day so far:

13th June (12th June US) - Inkling
14th June (13th June US) - Ridley
15th June (14th June US) - Daisy
19th June (18th June US) - Mario
21st June (20th June US) - Link
22nd June (21st June US) - Ice Climbers
25th June (24th June US) - Corrin
26th June (27th June US) - Solid Snake
29th June (28th June US) - Donkey Kong
2nd July (1st July US) - Sonic the Hedgehog
3rd July (N/A US) - Falco Lombardi
5th July (4th July US) - Young Link
6th July (5th July US) - Pokémon Trainer
9th July (8th July US) - Marth
10th July (9th July US) - Kirby
For some reason, the US site doesn't have Falco. Weird.
oh... wait, for japan is one day more... cool, now I can add more stuff to the calendar to entertain myself

American dates:
Calendario Smash.png

Japan dates:
Calendario Smashjapan.png

Both of them:
Calendario Smashboth.png

What can deduce from this? that nothing really changes, even if you move everything one day, the first 3 weeks still have 3 fighters of the day for week, then the first from July still have 4 fighters...
I'm having fun with this dumb stuff.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
View attachment 152320

Personally, I hope that we'll get Lycanroc. Decidueye or Mimikyu would be great, too.
At this point, I don't think any of those three have any real chance of making the cut. Incineroar seems to have the upper hand, especially with Game Freak pushing it harder than the other 7th generation starters.

But in the end, with the roster presumably being finalized in 2015, it all comes down to who Sakurai thinks would be the most interesting to implement; he had to refer to concept art, much like with how Greninja was implemented into Smash 3DS / Wii U. It could end up being someone that no one ever expected, but only time will tell.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've thought of doing that, but at the same time, I'm worried about missing something and having ****ing GameXplain or some 14 year-old on YouTube spoil it for me.
You know I never understood why Gamexplain reposted Nintendo's trailers, seems kinda... bad? (Unless they have permission to do so. XD)

I'm in the mood for more "summery" music! Let's go with some Yoshi today~!

You ever play Fortune Street, Zinith Zinith ? The Yoshi's Island map is in the shape of Yoshi's Head.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People complained about the Dojo updating late. People complained about SSB4 updated with useless nose pics. SSBU?

Madness....
It's pretty clear that the blog only covers stuff that's already confirmed to be in the game. This pretty much means that we'll be left in the dark, in regards to potential newcomers and game features for quite a while.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know I never understood why Gamexplain reposted Nintendo's trailers, seems kinda... bad? (Unless they have permission to do so. XD)

I'm in the mood for more "summery" music! Let's go with some Yoshi today~!

You ever played Fortune Street, Zinith Zinith ? The Yoshi's Island map is in the shape of Yoshi's Head.
No, and I have no idea why considering I like Dragon Quest and have a lot of Wii games.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
No they are not. At least I'm not, I may have given up hope, but I'm not gonna stop pushing for him to get them.

They're a cool move and a pretty damn important part of Ragnell's abilities on top of already having a perfect template to work with with Cloud's own blade beam. Just paint it blue and slap it onto Ike's jab3 animation and bam.
The Eruption buffs are nice, but it's still non-canonical and it's not like I'm still not going to use it to edgeguard people with bad recoveries anyway.

As far as items go, I'd like to see the one that lets me shoot blade beams like Cloud, because at least then I'd be able to see a version of it in Smash.
I Just want a gunsword, either as an item or a character that uses one. Coming up to the 5th Smash game and the closest I get to wielding one is watching Saki Amamiya play.
While everyone expects second to third-rate Nintendo characters like K.Rool or Bandana Dee to be the newcomers, I believe Nintendo will bring something much more hype. They need a BIG announcement just before the game releases to get the attention of every possible customer and get positive media coverage.

Imagine if that "big" thing was announcing K.Rool - a character that has not been relevant or appeared in any games in decades. Only some old folk know he even exists. Most people would see his kinda trashy design and just go "Huh, so they added a cheap looking version of Bowser now? Guess they are running out of characters lol". Why would Nintendo do that?

Now imagine what else they could do: Get in touch with Koei Tecmo aka "Team Ninja" and bust out RYU HAYABUSA.
He is the poster boy of their new Dead or Alive game that's coming up, so having him in Smash would be in their interest as well to promote their own game. Hayabusa also has a cult following - millions of players who grew up playing Ninja Gaiden both on NES and on WiiU. He has been featured/teased in a ton of recent titles like Warriors Oroshi and Nioh. Diehard Ninja Gaiden fans are itching to get their ninja fix at this point and will rush to gobble up Smash if he is in it.

Needless to say, Hayabusa also has vast potential for a completely unique moveset from all of his games. He is the only iconic NES character missing in Smash (next to Simon) and Nintendo has been friendly with Koei Tecmo in the past years, as they were one of the few third parties who supported them.

What do you think?
I love ninjas and ninjaesque things, that's why Sheik is my favorite character, has been since Melee, so to get another ninja especially Ryu Hayabusa would be amazing.

D

Deleted member

Something I'd like to return from older games is using the Classic iterations of trophies from Melee. I thought that the fact they were designed solely off of their own series was very neat, especially the contrast between the classic non-detailed cast and the model we have in-game. Though, a lot has changed from 2001 to 2018, if they were to include them I don't think they'd (or for this example, Mario) would spot this design:

I think more realistically in today if they were to implement them it'd be either a model from New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Odyssey:
Though, to be truly woke, you'd use the old Mario 64 CSS since it's his earliest true 3D model.

And the Alt. Trophy would obviously be the Smash render, gained through either an All Star/New Adventure/any new mode in general. Wii U already had both an alternate costume variant (Melee called them Smash) and Final Smash trophies combined. Bringing the Classic trophy idea back is definitely a pipe dream, but a feasible one in my opinion. Would like to your thoughts.
Same here.

I thought of an idea that you get "normal" trophies, as to know a regular trophy with a model coming from the game they originate from, of the playable cast through regular ways, like lottery, shop and such, thus imagine your reaction if you get a trophy of Decidueye for example, and some time later you engage an unlock match against it.

Yeah.

Then you'd still have to get their 2 "Smash" trophies through the Classic and All-Star modes, like in Melee when they referenced how they play and the name of their specials, and finally their Final Smash trophies you get through regular ways too, except you have to unlock hidden characters to unlock the chance to get their FS trophies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I Just want a gunsword, either as an item or a character that uses one. Coming up to the 5th Smash game and the closest I get to wielding one is watching Saki Amamiya play.
Sakurai: I have heard that players wish for a character that wields a Gunsword, and I have chosen to listen to these demands. We have added Squall as a playable character; we hope you enjoy him.
No, and I have no idea why considering I like Dragon Quest and have a lot of Wii games.
The Chance Card theme is also Yoshi Music (specifically, the Athletic theme).

Seriously, Fortune Street has some weirdly good remixes for what is pretty much just a Monopoly game. It's crazy! :laugh:

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I mean to be fair, i’m not telling anybody what to say or do on this website. Obviously, it’s fun to discuss who is going to be in the game. If it wasn’t, I wouldn’t be here.

It’s just that we literally talk about the same things over and over because nobody really looks at anything differently. It’s just, “What are the chances of X character getting in?” And that’s that. There’s no discussion about what X character would do or why they would be fun.

Not to mention, I don’t play competitively. I would like to start to be honest, but I just don’t have the time with my current career.

To avoid dragging this further, basically I think talking about the moveset in specific terms might actually prove to interesting, because otherwise we’re going to retread the same stuff. Every. Single. Day.
I actually couldn't agree more.
I always wanted to talk about stuff like: "Hey, If you had one move to change for your favorite fighter, who would it be?" Instead we just get non-stop leaks and echo arguments xD

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Smash Blog is starting out at a snail's pace. E3 just dumped a boatload of info on us, and now Nintendo's probably trying to save some content for later. After all, that's exactly what they did with PotD back in 2013.

Be patient. We're bound to get something eventually.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's weird to think the best thing this blog has given us is new music (which is all great!). When you think of it it's the exact opposite of 4's reveals where we never heard music.

I'm definitely a fan that we got the news of all veterans at once, it's the theme of the game after all and it was an epic moment. I'm also in a way different place then I've ever been in speculation as my no.1 got announced extremely early in speculation and now anything else in the game is just extra. So I'm honestly ok with not hearing much now.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Smash Blog is starting out at a snail's pace. E3 just dumped a boatload of info on us, and now Nintendo's probably trying to save some content for later. After all, that's exactly what they did with PotD back in 2013.

This too! Like I think we forget there were weeks of no news at the beginning, although I still think new photos are new photos.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Yeah. Never understood we people are expecting something new in a few days or so.
Guess we're just thirsty for some content.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Sakurai: I have heard that players wish for a character that wields a Gunsword, and I have chosen to listen to these demands. We have added Squall as a playable character; we hope you enjoy him.
That would make my day, I'd probably touch the clouds with joy.

Also you got Sakurai's mannerism down to a tee.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That would make my day, I'd probably touch the clouds with joy.

Also you got Sakurai's mannerism down to a tee.
Don't get too close to the Clouds, there might be a sudden Squall and you could get hit by Lightning.

Also, thanks. :grin:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

PotD in its first few months was the definition of suffering, at the very least with Ultimate's blog we know we're going to run out of pointless stuff eventually, and the shorter time until release means we could end up getting a lot of meaningful updates once we get to that point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom