• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Here's why the Marked One from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is 100% definitely going to be playable:
-STALKER is cool
-it is fun
Anyone who thinks Marked One isn't going to be playable can suck an egg and I will start an actual physical real life fight with you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's fine to honestly talk about what you want. Please stop complaining that people are talking about something you don't like. If you don't like it, don't post. You can change the subject if you have something to add, but make sure it's actually adding something, not passive-aggressive behavior. It helps no one.

Now move on.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's fine to honestly talk about what you want. Please stop complaining that people are talking about something you don't like. If you don't like it, don't post. You can change the subject if you have something to add, but make sure it's actually adding something, not passive-aggressive behavior. It helps no one.

Now move on.
I mean, "Don't like it, don't post" doesn't work if people keep talking about the same things over and over again. I'm sick of "Well actually THIS pokemon will be playable" or Shadow arguments yet if this thread only talks about that then does that mean I can't say "We've talked about this before, can we talk about something else?"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, "Don't like it, don't post" doesn't work if people keep talking about the same things over and over again. I'm sick of "Well actually THIS pokemon will be playable" or Shadow arguments yet if this thread only talks about that then does that mean I can't say "We've talked about this before, can we talk about something else?"
Maybe you should stop complaining and actually bring up an interesting topic?

Or is that too much effort?

Here.
Link got a range increase.

Who else do you expect to get a range increase?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Maybe you should stop complaining and actually bring up an interesting topic?

Here.

Still doesn't mean "Don't like it? Don't post" is a good mentality as by posting you can bring up a different topic. I don't get your point

Might be placebo but I swear Ike's got more range, Nair especially seems bigger to me

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I didn't know what LST meant about the passive-agressiveness at first but Jesus man, chill out.

Might be placebo but I swear Ike's got more range, Nair especially seems bigger to me
I mean obviously, Eruption's full range is probably going to be one of the best moves in the game, I'd say above sweetspot Ridley stab.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I'd love to say Ganondorf, but I wonder if Palutena and Yoshi might. Yoshi's Egg Throw was pretty mediocre in Smash 64 due to a lack of range, but later games slowly made it better by giving more angles, power, etc.

I do wonder how all 3 Boomerangs will feel different for the 3 Links as well. Especially with the Gale Boomerang sadly gone(it's honestly a great tool and helped make Link feel a lot different).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do wonder how all 3 Boomerangs will feel different for the 3 Links as well. Especially with the Gale Boomerang sadly gone(it's honestly a great tool and helped make Link feel a lot different).
What was it replaced with, a regular boomerang? I never saw it be used, but disappointed that its gone. sad TP link is gone in general

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I didn't know what LST meant about the passive-agressiveness at first but Jesus man, chill out.

I mean obviously, Eruption's full range is probably going to be one of the best moves in the game, I'd say above sweetspot Ridley stab.
Eh, Ridley's sweetspot doesn't seem nearly as good as people make it out to be, it needs to be the sweetspot to do anything significant but it does nothing on shield and the hitbox is so tiny, meaning you can't really us
What was it replaced with, a regular boomerang? I never saw it be used, but disappointed that its gone. sad TP link is gone in general
Yeah it's a regular boomerang now. Kinda odd Link gets those reworks only to get an attack that's more similar to other Links because of the boomerang change but eh

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
He has a normal boomerang.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'd love to say Ganondorf, but I wonder if Palutena and Yoshi might. Yoshi's Egg Throw was pretty mediocre in Smash 64 due to a lack of range, but later games slowly made it better by giving more angles, power, etc.

Well Yoshi did get his eggs to bounce off the ground now, so I say it would help.

Also, I do wonder about the differences between YL and TL in regards to weapons

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Ugh!

Okay, let’s be real. We talked to death about almost every “likley” topic that gets thrown around here. From Shadow and the Echo fighters, to “muh ballot”, to Ashley, to whatever.

But does anyone actually pay attention to the possibility that something entirely different might happen?

Recently, I watched many of the justifications that many people believed here on Smashboards has about Ultimate, only to be blown right up in our faces. From Daisy getting in as an Echo despite many people saying that she wouldn’t get in because she would be better as a stand-alone fighter, to bringing every veteran back, to having a major graphical upgrade to the game’s graphics despite us saying it will look very similar to Smash 4.

I mean there are some things I think I think are guaranteed to happen like having at least a couple of characters from the ballot. But why don’t we talk about unusual stuff like Ayumi Tachibana, Advance Wars, or really topics that haven’t been discussed on here before.

The point I’m trying to make is that, I think we should really consider the possibilities of any of what we think to be right to actually be wrong. Our view of what this game was going to be has changed so dramatically that I really think we should consider the unexpected.

(Prays for Ayumi to get in)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well Yoshi did get his eggs to bounce off the ground now, so I say it would help.

Also, I do wonder about the differences between YL and TL in regards to weapons
Well, besides Yink and Tink having officially different swords, they do have some moveset differences, though they're minor. It's not much different from Fox and Falco at this point. Yink still uses the Kokiri Sword as normal, with Tink using the Master Sword. Not unlike regular Link does.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, besides Yink and Tink having officially different swords, they do have some moveset differences, though they're minor. It's not much different from Fox and Falco at this point. Yink still uses the Kokiri Sword as normal, with Tink using the Master Sword. Not unlike regular Link does.
I do think that the two will have vastly different frame data at least. I at least have an idea on how Toon Link will play (I use to second him a lot in Brawl and early Smash 4), but I'm not sure about Young Link...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He has a normal boomerang.
Bummer. I don't know how YL and TL can be that much different outside of most aerials and F-Smash. We'd have to see until the game comes out, unfortunately. Both YL and TL have the same properties with their spin attack, but that's the only thing I can say for certain.

I mean there are some things I things I think are guaranteed to happen like having at least a couple of characters from the ballot. But why don’t we talk about unusual stuff like Ayumi Tachibana, Advance Wars, or really topics that haven’t been discussed.
Ayumi to me is just Phoenix Wright from MvC, I don't see another way to make her playable.
Andy or Sami would be for Advance Wars probably, I'd imagine it takes Duck Hunt's gunman and expands upon the idea with more infantry.

Mach Rider, which has been brought up in talks because of the rifle Sakurai was using as reference, is wonky. Sure, he could be playable but hell I don't see a definite way to incorporate that motorcycle well unless he gets grounded at a certain point. It'd be like trying to combine Wario's bike and Bowser Jr. and it just seems really difficult since all we know about him is the bike riding. I know Crusade did a moveset for him, but IMO it's pretty bland.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Seeing the overhype for Ridley's Down B reminds me of the overhype of Shulk's range and Palutena's Up Smash. Ridley Down B is a fantastic move with the following qualities:

A) bad range.
B) a sourspot that hits like Roy's noodle.
C) hideous start lag.
D) horrible shield damage.
E) the fact that no living being has ever landed it in a competitive match ever.

Why do people think Ridley is "broken" again?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Seeing the overhype for Ridley's Down B reminds me of the overhype of Shulk's range and Palutena's Up Smash. Ridley Down B is a fantastic move with the following qualities:

A) bad range.
C) hideous start lag.
E) the fact that no living being has ever landed it in a competitive match ever.

It looked broken and it does 60% at the sweetspot. But let’s be real, that move is as hard to nail as landing a rest.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

A) bad range.
C) hideous start lag.

Geez man I never said it was viable/good, I only meant the Ike comment as in it's more powerful. Like, y'know, percentages.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Bummer. I don't know how YL and TL can be that much different outside of most aerials and F-Smash. We'd have to see until the game comes out, unfortunately. Both YL and TL have the same properties with their spin attack, but that's the only thing I can say for certain.

Ayumi to me is just Phoenix Wright from MvC, I don't see another way to make her playable.
Andy or Sami would be for Advance Wars probably, I'd imagine it takes Duck Hunt's gunman and expands upon the idea with more infantry.

Mach Rider, which has been brought up in talks because of the rifle Sakurai was using as reference, is wonky. Sure, he could be playable but hell I don't see a definite way to incorporate that motorcycle well unless he gets grounded at a certain point. It'd be like trying to combine Wario's bike and Bowser Jr. and it just seems really difficult since all we know about him is the bike riding. I know Crusade did a moveset for him, but IMO it's pretty bland.
The bigger question is can we get Mach Rider's stripperific costume in?
machrider.png

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The bigger question is can we get Mach Rider's stripperific costume in?
View attachment 152345
Nobody knows if that's Mach Rider or a survivor. If you ask me, that chick ain't Mach Rider. Notably because his Melee trophy describes it as a he, and the body proportions are too different. Someone brought up the Samus armor argument before, but this isn't the same thing. It's skintight six packs and an ABSOLUTE UNIT of muscles vs bootleg Justin Bailey Samus.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Ugh!

Okay, let’s be real. We talked to death about almost every “likley” topic that gets thrown around here. From Shadow and the Echo fighters, to “muh ballot”, to Ashley, to whatever.

But does anyone actually pay attention to the possibility that something entirely different might happen?

Recently, I watched many of the justifications that many people believed here on Smashboards has about Ultimate, only to be blown right up in our faces. From Daisy getting in as an Echo despite many people saying that she wouldn’t get in because she would be better as a stand-alone fighter, to bringing every veteran back, to having a major graphical upgrade to the game’s graphics despite us saying it will look very similar to Smash 4.

I mean there are some things I think I think are guaranteed to happen like having at least a couple of characters from the ballot. But why don’t we talk about unusual stuff like Ayumi Tachibana, Advance Wars, or really topics that haven’t been discussed on here before.

The point I’m trying to make is that, I think we should really consider the possibilities of any of what we think to be right to actually be wrong. Our view of what this game was going to be has changed so dramatically that I really think we should consider the unexpected.

(Prays for Ayumi to get in)
I fully expect Smashboards (and the Smash community in general) to be wrong about almost all of their predictions.

I mean what characters did people actually see coming for the last game? Off the top of my head it seems like Palutena and Little Mac were the only two that didn't blindside the community.

I guess that's one upside to the community not having much faith in your most wanted characters. That seems more like a death knell than a boon.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It looked broken and it does 60% at the sweetspot. But let’s be real, that move is as hard to nail as landing a rest.
And it doesn't even confirm into a kill! All it does is force a getup and give you a chance to tech chase!

It'll be a noob killer for the first couple months, but past that, it'll just be a niche thing for dual techs in doubles (Any Chrono Trigger fans out there?) and occasionally tacking on huge damage at lower percents off an airdodge read or the like.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Almost all Crusade movesets are pretty bland.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

A) bad range.
C) hideous start lag.

I think someone pointed out that it's just as slow as Ike's F-Smash in Smash 4, that really put it into perspective how useless it's going to be in 1v1s, I don't even think it'll manage to punish noobs hard as they tend to move rather unpredictably. The only thing it'll be good for at all is to punish shield breaks, but by the looks of it Ridley doesn't even have any good tools to break shields with either, he'd rather go through it with grabs or Side-B, so that would potentially only be useful in Doubles.

It's basically just his Warlock Punch, something you only go for in FFAs for the hype.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nobody knows if that's Mach Rider or a survivor. If you ask me, that chick ain't Mach Rider. Notably because his Melee trophy describes it as a he, and the body proportions are too different. Someone brought up the Samus armor argument before, but this isn't the same thing. It's skintight six packs and an ABSOLUTE UNIT of muscles vs bootleg Justin Bailey Samus.
Samus was described as a male in the Metroid manual.

Maybe it's a suit with muscles.
Maybe it's a design inconsistency.
Maybe its Maybelline.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ridley's down b might be something you'd catch someone's ledge getup with easily if it's safe to throw out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I fully expect Smashboards (and the Smash community in general) to be wrong about almost all of their predictions.

I mean what characters did people actually see coming for the last game? Off the top of my head it seems like Palutena and Little Mac were the only two that didn't blindside the community.

I guess that's one upside to the community not having much faith in your most wanted characters. That seems more like a death knell than a boon.
Pac-Man and Miis were highly easy to guess without the help of leaks. Just hearing Namco-Bandai being part of it made it an obvious guess. Nobody knew what Miis would be like, and most were blindsided by their design, but the idea they'd be in was pretty easy to figure out.

The rest were far harder to guess as is.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Samus was described as a amle in the Metroid manual.

Maybe it's a suit with muscles.
Maybe it's a design inconsistency.
Maybe its Maybelline.
Samus wasn't described as a guy by Sakurai. Big ol difference.

Why would the future copy ancient Greek armor?
Or maybe it's just a dude.
Maybe.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
And it doesn't even confirm into a kill! All it does is force a getup and give you a chance to tech chase!

It'll be a noob killer for the first couple months, but past that, it'll just be a niche thing for dual techs in doubles (Any Chrono Trigger fans out there?) and occasionally tacking on huge damage at lower percents off an airdodge read or the like.
The times I've seen it land people try to follow up with a Smash attack but the opponent gets up too quickly. I guess that's because people haven't had much time with the game to know that would happen but maybe you could follow it up with a side b? If it truly leads into nothing it seems like Sakurai's just going for huge damage and nothing else to balance it out.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
This anticipation snarkiness reminds me so much of the old PotD thread.

Ahhh, memories.

Can't wait to see Luigi's nose tonight. That'll quell this heavy atmosphere.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think someone pointed out that it's just as slow as Ike's F-Smash in Smash 4, that really put it into perspective how useless it's going to be in 1v1s, I don't even think it'll manage to punish noobs hard as they tend to move rather unpredictably. The only thing it'll be good for at all is to punish shield breaks, but by the looks of it Ridley doesn't even have any good tools to break shields with either, he'd rather go through it with grabs or Side-B, so that would potentially only be useful in Doubles.

It's basically just his Warlock Punch, something you only go for in FFAs for the hype.
That's nice.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think something that could work for Mach Rider, especially for a recovery, is his break-up ability. When you die in Mach Rider, you get blown to pieces.

Yeah, turns out that's actually an ability he has for funsies. Could act like a teleport, but I really wanna see how Mach Rider would grab ledges. Would the motorcycle tire grab on for dear life, or would he grab with one hand and man the entire weight of the bike down? This isn't some Ridley shenanigans of being too big, this is actually really kinda complicated for how wide him plus the bike is.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Samus wasn't described as a guy by Sakurai. Big ol difference.

Why would the future copy ancient Greek armor?
Or maybe it's just a dude.
Maybe.
Maybe we need another Mach Rider game to figure this out.

Yeld

Smash Rookie
While everyone expects second to third-rate Nintendo characters like K.Rool or Bandana Dee to be the newcomers, I believe Nintendo will bring something much more hype. They need a BIG announcement just before the game releases to get the attention of every possible customer and get positive media coverage.

Imagine if that "big" thing was announcing K.Rool - a character that has not been relevant or appeared in any games in decades. Only some old folk know he even exists. Most people would see his kinda trashy design and just go "Huh, so they added a cheap looking version of Bowser now? Guess they are running out of characters lol". Why would Nintendo do that?

Now imagine what else they could do: Get in touch with Koei Tecmo aka "Team Ninja" and bust out RYU HAYABUSA.
He is the poster boy of their new Dead or Alive game that's coming up, so having him in Smash would be in their interest as well to promote their own game. Hayabusa also has a cult following - millions of players who grew up playing Ninja Gaiden both on NES and on WiiU. He has been featured/teased in a ton of recent titles like Warriors Oroshi and Nioh. Diehard Ninja Gaiden fans are itching to get their ninja fix at this point and will rush to gobble up Smash if he is in it.

Needless to say, Hayabusa also has vast potential for a completely unique moveset from all of his games. He is the only iconic NES character missing in Smash (next to Simon) and Nintendo has been friendly with Koei Tecmo in the past years, as they were one of the few third parties who supported them.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom