• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
to having a major graphical upgrade to the game’s graphics despite us saying it will look very similar to Smash 4.
Agreed with the rest of the post, but we were right on that one. Ultimate does look rather similar to Smash 4. Besides a couple Zelda characters getting a big model change, most changes are subtle; like decreased saturation, softer and more refined shadows on characters, and model touchups.

They may different when you look closely and do side-to-side comparisons, but at first glance, especially when you're looking at a 480p livestream or whatever, it looks very similar to Smash 4. That's something that can't be said when about the differences between other Smash games.

But!
I'm not mad about this. This is exactly what I expected. The Switch doesn't have hardware that much more powerful than the Wii U, and there are diminishing returns to graphical quality, and the art style was already perfect as-is. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
God Smashboards stop dying when I need you most, I can't even quote because it takes so long before it has an error.

PLATINUM7 PLATINUM7 gotta have to do it the old fashioned way. I don't think Nintendo would ever be interested in remaking or continuing Mach Rider. It's kind of like the caveman's F-Zero. Though, an idea I did have a few times was a 3D HD recreation of several NES classics that aren't related to the big IPs. Mach Rider, Urban Champion, Excitebike, Pro Wrestling, Wrecking Crew, Pinball, Kung Fu, the list goes on. Kind of in a compilation type of game.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
God Smashboards stop dying when I need you most, I can't even quote because it takes so long before it has an error.

PLATINUM7 PLATINUM7 gotta have to do it the old fashioned way. I don't think Nintendo would ever be interested in remaking or continuing Mach Rider. It's kind of like the caveman's F-Zero. Though, an idea I did have a few times was a 3D HD recreation of several NES classics that aren't related to the big IPs. Mach Rider, Urban Champion, Excitebike, Pro Wrestling, Wrecking Crew, Pinball, Kung Fu, the list goes on. Kind of in a compilation type of game.
Yeah I know it's unlikely but it's nice to dream.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Pipedreams are best dreams.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You weren't really expecting a big announcement, were you? They always do newcomers on a livestream. ALWAYS.
Wasn't Pac-Man shown behing closed doors and then the trailer released on Twitter and the Official Website?

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Pipedreams are best dreams.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You weren't really expecting a big announcement, were you? They always do newcomers on a livestream. ALWAYS.
It's just that it was way later than normal.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's just that it was way later than normal.
A national ****ing disaster hit Japan, of course it was way later than normal.

Wasn't Pac-Man shown behing closed doors and then the trailer released on Twitter and the Official Website?
I don't recall Pac's trailer in particular, but that's one odd one out of everyone else, probably because he's the Pac. They'd stick to tradition.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Shulk's trailer was in a Japan-only Direct, if that counts.
Which was still live streamed.

Also it was a 3DS direct in addition to being Japan only. Oh man I remember making the thread for that Direct, afraid I jumped the gun. Then bam first thing shown is Shulk.

Of all the times to have a tiny glimmer of hope for Smash news. So good.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Of course Ridley gets into Smash and they give him a move for hype purposes only. They nailed his character down!!!
I think that's the core of Sakurai's admiration on how he handles Smash: When he places character fighters from other franchises, not only does he try to make them stand out, but he nails their character down. If you've any semblance interest in writing characters, you would see Sakurai's hidden love of characterization right down to their animations and not just mechanics.

Granted, this is a Nintendo game and Nintendo first party game characters aren't wholly known for having...character. But Sakurai picked up the slack in giving some personality behind a fighter.

I mean, look at my main man/woman, Robin. You see them as a typical bookworm who ships people like they're Barbie and Ken dolls in his/her game and functions as the player avatar, but in Smash, you see h/she is an out-of-shape, bookworm who knows how to pick battles.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It was, but it was not intended for western viewers. There wasn't an English version of Shulk's trailer until later.

But yeah, that's why I said "if that counts".
No I meant the statement like "Yeah but thats still a livestream", that's why I edited it.
It does count.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
People complained about the Dojo updating late. People complained about SSB4 updated with useless nose pics. SSBU?

Madness....

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't recall Pac's trailer in particular, but that's one odd one out of everyone else, probably because he's the Pac. They'd stick to tradition.
Not exactly tradition when it's only been happening for one game, we can't be sure whether it'll carry over to Ultimate. I fully expect it to mind you, and I think in this day and age a newcomer just randomly being revealed on the website is an impossibility, but they could always find a completely new way of revealing newcomers, we can't say anything for certain.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wonder how people would cope if Sakurai told us literally every detail of the game at E3 with all newcomers and stages and features. Definitively stating that there is nothing else. Nothing to speculate about for five months.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
A national ****ing disaster hit Japan, of course it was way later than normal.

I’m not sure if it has anything to do with that. But yeah, western Japan got hit hard. Last time I posted about it, 77 people died I think. The count is now up to 128. Scratch that 152. Craziness.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how people would cope if Sakurai told us literally every detail of the game at E3 with all newcomers and stages and features. Definitively stating that there is nothing else. Nothing to speculate about for five months.
I think people would be more angry with the fact that it wasn't told to us straight up at E3 versus a month or so later.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think people would be more angry with the fact that it wasn't told to us straight up at E3 versus a month or so later.
No, I mean in a situation where, at E3, they made a point to show off ALL of the newcomers and new stages, then said there was nothing else.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Heard fox's up tilt and up smash got nerfed really hard which is kinda what makes him good in smash 4. If his side special really doesn't go through people anymore then I can see him being low tier easily.

I think that's the core of Sakurai's admiration on how he handles Smash: When he places character fighters from other franchises, not only does he try to make them stand out, but he nails their character down. If you've any semblance interest in writing characters, you would see Sakurai's hidden love of characterization right down to their animations and not just mechanics.

Granted, this is a Nintendo game and Nintendo first party game characters aren't wholly known for having...character. But Sakurai picked up the slack in giving some personality behind a fighter.

I mean, look at my main man/woman, Robin. You see them as a typical bookworm who ships people like they're Barbie and Ken dolls in his/her game and functions as the player avatar, but in Smash, you see h/she is an out-of-shape, bookworm who knows how to pick battles.
Robin for me in awakening was a physical fighter and barley used magic.

I always thought making the player avatar in fire emblem a character called robin and giving them a move set most people never used in the games was a bad move.

I would personally have preferred chrom and Igor in smash 4 but looks like Robin is here to stay for better or worse.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
WaxPython WaxPython
Please do not multi-post. Just click reply to the post you want to reply to, copy it in the message box, click edit on the bottom of your posted message, and paste it and reply. Saves getting warnings or infractions.

You know what would be awesome - if particular previous titles get a price reduction in the online store as apart of a Smash Bros legacy campaign.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
WaxPython WaxPython Just a heads-up, be wary of double posting, fam.

If you've any semblance interest in writing characters, you would see Sakurai's hidden love of characterization right down to their animations and not just mechanics.
looks at Samus, tries to see that hidden love in her stiff-looking normals

...nah. Not seeing it, really. Poor gal seriously needs some more love!

(waxing hyperbolic here, btw, if clarification was needed. Samus has some cool moves, but it'd be awesome if Sakurai incorporated something more than laser beams for a Final Smash or a shoulder-check for a dash attack)

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wait Kirby? and last day was pokemon trainer... let me get the calendar right...

Calendario Smash.png

So it looks like this week is gonna be similar to last week, unless they do like the last week of June, it almost seems they decided to have 4 fighters for week now.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Wait Kirby? and last day was pokemon trainer... let me get the calendar right...

View attachment 152348

So it looks like this week is gonna be similar to last week, unless they do like the last week of June, it almost seems they decided to have 4 fighters for week now.
I think the ship has sailed on trying to find a pattern on the Smash blog long ago...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Heard fox's up tilt and up smash got nerfed really hard which is kinda what makes him good in smash 4. If his side special really doesn't go through people anymore then I can see him being low tier easily.

Robin for me in awakening was a physical fighter and barley used magic.

I always thought making the player avatar in fire emblem a character called robin and giving them a move set most people never used in the games was a bad move.

I would personally have preferred chrom and Igor in smash 4 but looks like Robin is here to stay for better or worse.
He probably thought that Awakening deserved a unique newcomer.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
looks at Samus, tries to see that hidden love in her stiff-looking normals

...nah. Not seeing it, really. Poor gal seriously needs some more love!

(waxing hyperbolic here, btw, if clarification was needed. Samus has some cool moves, but it'd be awesome if Sakurai incorporated something more than laser beams for a Final Smash or a shoulder-check for a dash attack)

Smooth Criminal
Sadly, true characterization import is limited by the genre and possibly for balance reasons... at that: it just brings back to me wanting to see Ike having his sword beams too like a spoiled baby with a further spoiled brother getting his candy.

...and I just reminded myself of Cloud. Is he so OP that he's OP in his source material AND in Smash 4? Maaaybe? Why is hyperbole so contagious...

I agree though, and I'm not a big Metroid fan. Sakurai does have his work ahead of him though, but the laziness/time-restraints does rear its ugly head when one gets too hopeful, and I'm not referring to the clon -- echo fighters. But, at the very least Sakurai acknowledges this. Ganondorf has been LUIGI-FIED and sort-of decloned from CF, for example. I'm still baffled by Lucina.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
"Patterns? In my Smash updates? It's less likely than you think."

But yeah. There's no real patterns when it comes to Smash info. I've pretty much resigned myself to go with the flow and enjoy whatever comes next. Of course, speculation never hurts, but don't set your hopes too high for information, or your excitement might crash with it.

Speculate responsibly, fellow Smashers.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
As mentioned prolly ad nauseam in (just) this thread, clones/Echo Fighters are sort of a cherry-on-top kinda thing. I too lament the fact that characters like Dark Pit could be so much more, but alas. It is what it is.

Smooth Criminal

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Patterns? In my Smash updates? It's less likely than you think."

But yeah. There's no real patterns when it comes to Smash info. I've pretty much resigned myself to go with the flow and enjoy whatever comes next. Of course, speculation never hurts, but don't set your hopes too high for information, or your excitement might crash with it.

Speculate responsibly, fellow Smashers.
This.

Also, I didn't check all fighter videos when they uploaded so some are still suprises to me.

And let's not act spoiled, how many games give out continuous supply of in game content during development?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
He probably thought that Awakening deserved a unique newcomer.
You can make Igor unique, don't think we have ever had a fighter with an axe. Just saying if Sakurai wanted a unique fighter there's plenty to choose from actual mages like Robin instead of a none customisable avatar. It's a very minor thing but I don't think we are getting many more fire emblem characters and I really like the series so I just prefer more iconic ones.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Something I'd like to return from older games is using the Classic iterations of trophies from Melee. I thought that the fact they were designed solely off of their own series was very neat, especially the contrast between the classic non-detailed cast and the model we have in-game. Though, a lot has changed from 2001 to 2018, if they were to include them I don't think they'd (or for this example, Mario) would spot this design:

Untitled.jpg

I think more realistically in today if they were to implement them it'd be either a model from New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Odyssey:
Untitled.png Untitled.png
Though, to be truly woke, you'd use the old Mario 64 CSS since it's his earliest true 3D model.

And the Alt. Trophy would obviously be the Smash render, gained through either an All Star/New Adventure/any new mode in general. Wii U already had both an alternate costume variant (Melee called them Smash) and Final Smash trophies combined. Bringing the Classic trophy idea back is definitely a pipe dream, but a feasible one in my opinion. Would like to your thoughts.

KMDP

Smash Legend

View attachment 152348

For the Record, here's every Fighter of the Day so far:

13th June (12th June US) - Inkling
14th June (13th June US) - Ridley
15th June (14th June US) - Daisy
19th June (18th June US) - Mario
21st June (20th June US) - Link
22nd June (21st June US) - Ice Climbers
25th June (24th June US) - Corrin
26th June (27th June US) - Solid Snake
29th June (28th June US) - Donkey Kong
2nd July (1st July US) - Sonic the Hedgehog
3rd July (N/A US) - Falco Lombardi
5th July (4th July US) - Young Link
6th July (5th July US) - Pokémon Trainer
9th July (8th July US) - Marth
10th July (9th July US) - Kirby
For some reason, the US site doesn't have Falco. Weird.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
For the Record, here's every Fighter of the Day so far:

13th June (12th June US) - Inkling
14th June (13th June US) - Ridley
15th June (14th June US) - Daisy
19th June (18th June US) - Mario
21st June (20th June US) - Link
22nd June (21st June US) - Ice Climbers
25th June (24th June US) - Corrin
26th June (27th June US) - Solid Snake
29th June (28th June US) - Donkey Kong
2nd July (1st July US) - Sonic the Hedgehog
3rd July (N/A US) - Falco Lombardi
5th July (4th July US) - Young Link
6th July (5th July US) - Pokémon Trainer
9th July (8th July US) - Marth
10th July (9th July US) - Kirby
For some reason, the US site doesn't have Falco. Weird.
The French don't have Marth. I guess Falco hates Americans and Marth hates the French.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom