• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know now that Pit has a different Final Smash, it completely defeats any and all purpose of Dark Pit being his own character. (Especially ironic in this sense is the fact that in Uprising the Lightning Chariot is Dark Pit’s equivalent to Pit’s Three Sacred Treasures.)

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Otacon, look at the size of this guy's sword, is he really able to lift that thing?

Otacon: Wait, what?! I-is that...?! C-CLOUD STRIFE?!

Snake: I guess that's his name... what's the big deal, is there something very important about him that I need to know?

Otacon: N-no, it's just th-that... I think I'm gonna faint...

Snake: What? Faint? What's wrong? I need you to give me a strategy to deal with him!

Otacon: I-I can't believe it's really h-him...! After all of th-these years... *sigh*

Snake: What the- Otacon, are you okay?! Are you there, Otacon?!

Otacon: ...

Snake: Otacon?! OTACON?! OOOTAAACOOOOOOOONNN!!!!!!

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Don't get too close to the Clouds, there might be a sudden Squall and you could get hit by Lightning.

Also, thanks. :grin:
Haha Nice:), Squall would be a good choice though, if couldn't get Sora in Smash, then Squall, Lightning, and then Tifa would be the Square Enix characters I want in that order with Squall, and Lightning being tied for gunsword users.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Haha Nice:), Squall would be a good choice though, if couldn't get Sora in Smash, then Squall, Lightning, and then Tifa would be the Square Enix characters I want in that order with Squall, and Lightning being tied for gunsword users.
In terms of Final Fantasy characters, I'm gunning for Tifa just because I personally like her (realistically Sephiroth would come before if they had a second FF7 character). Outside of FF7, the Final Fantasy character I'd go for is Warrior of Light (who would make sense because he represents the first Final Fantasy).

---

You know, considering Smash has Cloud Strife and Solid Snake, all we'd need is Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft; and we'd have the... quadfecta... of 90's Playstation System Sellers.

Smash'd be a better "Playstation All-Stars" than Playstation All-Stars. XD

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
New Assist trophies not on the blog yet:
Burrowing Snagret
Arcade Bunny
Rodin
Rambling Mushroom

New Pokemon not on the blog yet:
Abra
Bewear
Alolan Raichu
Scizor (Returning from Melee but wasn't in Smash 4)
Togedemaru

New Items not on the blog yet:
Banana Gun (Didn't even know this was a thing until now. Should've been a coconut that fires in spurts if it shoots ya it's gonna hurt)
Bomber
Fake Smash Ball
Healing Field

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
New Assist trophies not on the blog yet:
Burrowing Snagret
Arcade Bunny
Rodin
Rambling Mushroom

New Pokemon not on the blog yet:
Abra
Bewear
Alolan Raichu
Scizor (Returning from Melee but wasn't in Smash 4)
Togedemaru

New Items not on the blog yet:
Banana Gun (Didn't even know this was a thing until now. Should've been a coconut that fires in spurts if it shoots ya it's gonna hurt)
Bomber
Fake Smash Ball
Healing Field
We don't know what the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom is yet. It could possibly be an item for all we know.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
In terms of Final Fantasy characters, I'm gunning for Tifa just because I personally like her (realistically Sephiroth would come before if they had a second FF7 character). Outside of FF7, the Final Fantasy character I'd go for is Warrior of Light (who would make sense because he represents the first Final Fantasy).

---

You know, considering Smash has Cloud Strife and Solid Snake, all we'd need is Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft; and we'd have the... quadfecta... of 90's Playstation System Sellers.

Exchange Lara Croft with Spyro and I’m down

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Otacon, look at the size of this guy's sword, is he really able to lift that thing?

Otacon: Wait, what?! I-is that...?! C-CLOUD STRIFE?!

Snake: I guess that's his name... what's the big deal, is there something very important about him that I need to know?

Otacon: N-no, it's just th-that... I think I'm gonna faint...

Snake: What? Faint? What's wrong? I need you to give me a strategy to deal with him!

Otacon: I-I can't believe it's really h-him...! After all of th-these years... *sigh*

Snake: What the- Otacon, are you okay?! Are you there, Otacon?!

Otacon: ...

Snake: Otacon?! OTACON?! OOOTAAACOOOOOOOONNN!!!!!!
The only reason I’d be ok with a “fourth party” anime character would be because of Otacon losing his **** in the codec.

Like I’m not going to start supporting Goku, but if his inclusion meant we got a codec like this, I wouldn’t be AS mad.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
The only reason I’d be ok with a “fourth party” anime character would be because of Otacon losing his **** in the codec.

Like I’m not going to start supporting Goku, but if his inclusion meant we got a codec like this, I wouldn’t be AS mad.
I like to think that Goku would get his own version of the codec, where he'd talk with King Kai telepathically.

I mean, Sean Schemmel does both voices, it wouldn't be too hard to arrange...

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So, I've heard almost no one talk about items, so what Item do you want in smash, and what would it do?
I don’t have one in particular, but a few of the more unique BotW weapons would be cool.

Ones that come to mind are:
- Spring Hammer - the same effect as BotW, minimal or no damage but sends you flying
- Windcleaver - acts like a regular sword but smash attacks send a gust of wind too
- Wooden Mop - horrible attack but has some range I guess; it’d just be kinda funny (I wanna see Ridley fight with a cleaning tool)

And unlike other Smash items, they can totally shatter when they’re worn out like in BotW, instead of just being useless and having to be thrown.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
So, I've heard almost no one talk about items, so what Item do you want in smash, and what would it do?
Not so much an item, but in the event that Banjo-Kazooie made it in, I'd love a Mumbo AT where he did his chant and it caused random effects on players when it was finished.

EDIT: I also want the "weird" items back, like the Red Shell and Cloaking Device (can't remember if that's still in or not)

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Tbh I don't like this drip feeding of content. Reveal trailer was enough to get us hyped that's all we need to know.

Let people be suprised at what's included and find things out for themselves, just my 2 cents.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You know now that Pit has a different Final Smash, it completely defeats any and all purpose of Dark Pit being his own character. (Especially ironic in this sense is the fact that in Uprising the Lightning Chariot is Dark Pit’s equivalent to Pit’s Three Sacred Treasures.)
Well Pit does own the Lightning Chariot by default since he earned the ownership of them, so I can see why he has them by his side in Ultimate
I mained Pit in Brawl and was completely frustrated with his design, gameplay-wise and appearance, on Smash4.
From what I saw he is way more similar to Smash 4's Pit than Brawl (gameplay) but at least he doesn't look like a GrandChase character anymore.
His proportions are more grow-up/teenager, I'm totally behind the changes. I think that most characters are returning to look more realistic in this new game. Shulk is also looking older than in Smash4. Smash 4's Shulk seems to be 3~4 prior to the Xenoblade one.
It only took about 6 years and a pair of burnt wings for Pit to finally look older in hd, but it was worth it

---

That would just be sad

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Tbh I don't like this drip feeding of content. Reveal trailer was enough to get us hyped that's all we need to know.

Let people be suprised at what's included and find things out for themselves, just my 2 cents.
The drip feeding would be okay if it wasn't just stuff we already knew about, if they showed new items, assists, stages, even trophies that'd be great.

The pic of the days in smash 4 were cute and more substantial than "here's this video you've already seen and a sentence of text to go with it, or an item you already know about", at least they were nice to look at

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

EDIT: I also want the "weird" items back, like the Red Shell and Cloaking Device (can't remember if that's still in or not)
The Cloaking Device hasn't been in since Melee, and yet clear Smash has always been an option for special modes. I want the Fan back more than anything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mentioned it last night, but the Hand Axe from Fire Emblem would be great. Press A to hit with it, and input a Smash Attack to throw it like a boomerang.

The Music Box from Super Mario Bros. 3 would play its jingle and all foes in range would fall asleep.

The Choice Scarf from Pokémon would vastly increase your character's speed for a limited time, but they'd be locked into only being able to use one special move (the one that gets used soonest after donning the scarf) until the Scarf disappears as a trade off.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well Pit does own the Lightning Chariot by default since he earned the ownership of them, so I can see why he has them by his side in Ultimate
Still though, my point stands since Dark Pit uses it more than he does, and since they now share the EXACT same abilities they can now be simple skin swaps instead of different characters.

D

Deleted member

If gliding still existed, I'd love to have Roc's Cape as an item. When someone picks it up, it allows them to glide for a limited time. I just think it would be hilarious to have someone like Bowser or Donkey Kong gliding.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Gonna talk about Brawl for a second and why I'd like a story mode with cutscenes even if playing through it isn't anything like Subspace:

Actually, instead of talking about it, I'll just show you

Honestly, unrealistically, but ideally, I'd like the story mode to be like a better Subspace, but instead of the "OC Do Not Steal" setting, you go through various worlds belonging to the characters of the game..

D

Deleted member

Bruh everyone needs more patience.
We will get something eventually..
We just have to wait.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The Cloaking Device hasn't been in since Melee, and yet clear Smash has always been an option for special modes. I want the Fan back more than anything.
You know, they took the Cloaking Device out because it came from Perfect Dark.

Why don't they just replace it with Metal Gear's Stealth Camo?

(What I'd really like is if, when the Stealth Camo appears, it drops like an item from Metal Gear; as in it drops to the floor, makes this sound and starts spinning in the air a little off the ground, and makes this sound when you pick it up).

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Gonna talk about Brawl for a second and why I'd like a story mode with cutscenes even if playing through it isn't anything like Subspace:

Actually, instead of talking about it, I'll just show you

Honestly, unrealistically, but ideally, I'd like the story mode to be like a better Subspace, but instead of the "OC Do Not Steal" setting, you go through various worlds belonging to the characters of the game..
In the spirit of what the game is supposed to be, you're right. The only boss fights people remember are the ones against Nintendo characters. Random mechs and Heartless? No body even cares about those things, now R.O.Bs those are cool.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There was a Pokemon conversation last night? Aww man. Can't believe I missed it. Those have been pretty scarce lately. Nice to get back to some of the done to death pre-E3 conversations every once in a while.

Well, in an attempt to rekindle the topic, which of the three big contenders - Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc (purposely leaving out Incineroar because not much has changed for him) - do you think took the biggest hit after the info we got following E3?

Decidueye - Ivysaur returned and it might have been too early for Sakurai to know about its involvement with Pokken.
Mimikyu - Pichu returned and popularity likely wouldn't have been a factor.
Lycanroc - Might have been too early for Sakurai to know about the Dusk form.

For me, I'd say Decidueye. Not so much because it would no longer be the only grass type, but because I noticed a lot of people switching over to say Incineroar is the most likely. Feels like people are looking more toward the anime and timing when they consider a Pokemon's chances.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
You guys are SO boring if you can muster to dislike how incredible the Subspace enemies were.

They had so much delightful charm to them!

I quite liked that they didn't go just Nintendo enemies, it really made Subspace feel like this Nintendo crossover was invaded by a strange outside force.
It certainly beats "HEY RECOGNIZE THIS???". I really like the idea that the Smash Bros. universe has its own unique denizens.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Still though, my point stands since Dark Pit uses it more than he does, and since they now share the EXACT same abilities they can now be simple skin swaps instead of different characters.
They both used the LC twice (Phosphora aswell I suppose), but I see your point...though at the same time if they were put back together there would be more Dark Pit users than Pit players when it comes to alts and I will not accept that in my Smash life

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Prior to Lyn appearing as an AT, I was down with an assist trophy/pokeball item specifically for summoning Fire Emblem characters: the Breidablik.

Figured it'd be a good way to add Fire Emblem characters into a role without them all being fully playable. Anna summon would be a wild card as she can use basically any weapon. Not super original but I thought it was a fun idea.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You guys are SO boring if you can muster to dislike how incredible the Subspace enemies were.

I quite liked that they didn't go just Nintendo enemies, it really made Subspace feel like this Nintendo crossover was invaded by a strange outside force.
It certainly beats "HEY RECOGNIZE THIS???". I really like the idea that the Smash Bros. universe has its own unique denizens.
Then some of the enemies ended up being somewhat inspirations for KI Uprising enemies

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not "any and all."

He's vital to the "Everyone is back. Yes, everyone. Pichu too. WHAT PART OF EVERYONE IS CONFUSING YOU?!" mantra of the development.
And him remaining an echo along with Lucina, gives justification to the new one(s?) coming.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I mean, they can come too.
Kinda like heartless invading the Disney worlds, haha.

I just disliked the generic setting, but I liked a lot of the enemies. (And disliked a lot of the enemies.)

D

Deleted member

There was a Pokemon conversation last night? Aww man. Can't believe I missed it. Those have been pretty scarce lately. Nice to get back to some of the done to death pre-E3 conversations every once in a while.

Well, in an attempt to rekindle the topic, which of the three big contenders - Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc (purposely leaving out Incineroar because not much has changed for him) - do you think took the biggest hit after the info we got following E3?

Decidueye - Ivysaur returned and it might have been too early for Sakurai to know about its involvement with Pokken.

For me, I'd say Decidueye. Not so much because it would no longer be the only grass type, but because I noticed a lot of people switching over to say Incineroar is the most likely. Feels like people are looking more toward the anime and timing when they consider a Pokemon's chances.
I think it's Lycanroc. It has very dull concept arts and Dusk was probably not a thing when Sakurai was working on the project plan.
I feel like Decidueye's Pokken inclusion has some connection to Smash. It's just a theory but I feel like it was either Gamefreak's attempt to promote him before putting him in Smash or a consolation prize because he was a runner up.
This may sound biased but I feel that the former outcome is more likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

tbh I liked the enemies, wish the environments weren't so boring though, "generic field" or "generic jungle" can only be so exciting. And they used koopa troopas and goombas, they could've done some for a couple other franchises at least

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Sorry, but I genuinely don't like the Subspace enemies.

Their designs are either needlessly complex or bare and boring. There is also no consistency between them. How do we go from slimes in a tank with a dragon arm thing to clown head pillars? There's a line to be crossed when it comes to "Random Alien" designs, and Subspace enemies cross that line way too far. I'll take the more consistent designs of other series any day.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I mean, they can come too.
Kinda like heartless invading the Disney worlds, haha.

I just disliked the generic setting, but I liked a lot of the enemies. (And disliked a lot of the enemies.)
All things considered, I wouldn't even be surprised if a few Subspace enemies DID return, since a number were present in Smash Run.
Guess I kinda wish Smash Bros. also paid homage to its own history, in addition to all the other franchises.
Like it be cool if we saw the Fighting Polygon/Wireframe/Alloy Team again. Perhaps in an all-new PvE mode where you fight various enemies, then the Fighting X Team, then Master Hand or even Tabuu.
Or if they made the stage you fight Metal Mario on a regular one you can pick.

There's loads of cool original content in Smash, but people never seem to talk much about it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
(purposely leaving out Incineroar because not much has changed for him) - do you think took the biggest hit after the info we got following E3?

Hehe give it some weeks and watch the anime.

To answer your question I have never gotten the fan fare for the owl and wolf. I get people like what they like but sometimes you gotta look at facts. I think based on how Pokemon Company deals with Smash and how the concept art an initial release of gen 7 started things should be pretty clear.

- You don't have Incenaroar be the cool guy in the movie and have a second stage pre evo in the anime for him not be the ace of the team.

- Mimikyu well the resume is too long now...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
All things considered, I wouldn't even be surprised if a few Subspace enemies DID return, since a number were present in Smash Run.
Guess I kinda wish Smash Bros. also paid homage to its own history, in addition to all the other franchises.
Like it be cool if we saw the Fighting Polygon/Wireframe/Alloy Team again. Perhaps in an all-new PvE mode where you fight various enemies, then the Fighting X Team, then Master Hand or even Tabuu.

There's loads of cool original content in Smash, but people never seem to talk much about it.
Honestly, if one of the sections of the story was all of the characters going through a "smash world" that isn't just... a field... a path... a jungle... generic and more "smashy" somehow, I'd be down. I've also been a person that kinda wishes they'd make Tabuu or something playable so there'd be a Smash rep.

Also you missed it yesterday but I brought up Meta Crystal and it got quite a bit of support.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Wee Sakurai did say everyone is here, so I guess it’s time to fear those Polygons/Wireframes/Alloys once more

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think it's Lycanroc. It has very dull concept arts and Dusk was probably not a thing when Sakurai was working on the project plan.
I feel like Decidueye's Pokken inclusion has some connection to Smash. It's just a theory but I feel like it was either Gamefreak's attempt to promote him before putting him in Smash or a consolation prize because he was a runner up.
This may sound biased but I feel that the former outcome is more likely.
Going purely by design and moveset potential, I'd say Decidueye and Incineroar both have a shot at coming to Smash.

Both could bring something new to Smash: Decidueye being a dedicated archer*, and Incineroar being a dedicated grappler*.

D*The Links and Pits have archery, but it's only a single move in their moveset.
I*There are characters with command grabs (Falcon, Bowser, Ganondorf, Ridley), but none whose moveset is based solely around the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom