• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So? Lycanroc feels very bland to me in terms of a fighter. Unless he brings something new to smash, he shouldnt even be considered.
Honestly kind of agree with this, he has a tail, can bite and can summon rocks, meh to me. Doesn't really seem like he'd be the most unique fighter which we know sakurai generally goes for in character selection

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Actually it was 2013.
Not sure if it's a typo or you're just misinformed.
X/Y were released October 2013.
Sun and Moon was actually closer to its release than X and Y was when Smash development began. If anything, the former has better timing for Smash than the latter.
I have edited my foolish mistake.

Unpopular Opinion of the Day:
Look, I am not an Undertale fan and I only watched people play it, but.....
Sans would be kind of cool in Smash Bros though.
How so? I’ve played Undertale and got the three main endings, and I don’t really see how Sans could fight.

You’d have to make a literally interpretation of his battle, which could only really result in him swinging around a large bone (so a sword-user), and/or throwing smaller bones around.

That sounds ok I guess.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Omg I love her!!! Niles is my favorite but she's probably my favorite lady. Her character was just...just great lol. I was planning to do another run where she marries my Corrin because whatever it takes to get an in with the royal family right?
Charlotte is pretty great. I actually had both my Male Corrins marry her just because. XD I actually can't remember who my sole female Corrin married...

Charlotte actually has a few of my personal favourite supports (Corrin, Leo, Beruka & Laslow). And "I'm gonna tear you in half." is a pretty amazing Critical Quote, I mean it's no "PICK A GOD AND PRAY!", but...
That's also how I feel about it. "Bringing something new" is kinda why my signature wishlist is what it is:

Goemon: Chain pipe weapon, giant flaming coin projectiles, and Impact for a final smash? Hell yeah

Geno: Hopes and dreams realized, gun arm, SMRPG mechanics and Geno Whirl? And any of his other special moves? Hell yeah

Simon Belmont: Whippy boi? (I uh... I actually haven't played Castlevania, but I do like the concept of a Belmont joining) Hell yeah

K. Rool: Donkey Kong antagonist? Blunderbuss? The potential for an another awesome unique heavy character? Hell yeah

Paper Mario: Bringing in any of his multitude of unique abilities over the game? Partner mechanics? Hammer as a main weapon and not just a down special? Hell yeah
My list of characters is "These guys'd be pretty unique." tempered with a heaping helping "I just want these guys, okay?
Isaac - Geomancy. Literal Stage Control would be pretty great.
Tails - His Flight (with Carrying) ability would make him, like, the best Doubles partner.
Tifa - Little Mac with a Limit Gauge (plus Kicks and stuff like Suplexs)
Agumon - If they could make Evolution a part of his repertoire (I'd say it's actually more important to Digimon than it is to Pokémon), he could be a super unique character (you can change forms, but have to commit to that form).
Nightmare - A Giant Sword-wielder whose sword actually feels as heavy as it looks, along with Soul Edge's inherent vampirism.
Sephiroth - A sword-wielder with enormous range (you can balance his wide area-of-effect with long move execution times).

Characters like K. Rool, Geno and Ashley I want more for their fans (and the only one I'm actually familiar with among the three is K. Rool) than any real desire for them on my end.

Right now, besides Isaac I'm pretty happy with the first party representation in Smash, which is why all my other guys are third parties. My next most wanted first-party guy is Vaati, but... there are more important Zelda characters.

Incidentally, out of Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters I want, Hector and/or Lyn are my top picks for Fire Emblem, and Gardevoir and Incineroar is who I'd back for Pokémon, but to be honest Pokémon's not super high on my priorities this game.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Meanwhile while people speculate over a SuMo newcomer I’m betting on either Gengar or Sceptile.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How so? I’ve played Undertale and got the three main endings, and I don’t really see how Sans could fight.

You’d have to make a literally interpretation of his battle, which could only really result in him swinging around a large bone (so a sword-user), and/or throwing smaller bones around.

That sounds ok I guess.
I agree with that sentiment. I think it would require quite a bit of imagination to properly convert the "fight style" of anyone from Undertale to a platform fighter without boiling them down to a simple weapon user. "I toss bones and i hit with a bone" is a bit... lackluster to me, but if Sakurai really wanted to I'm sure he could make it interesting.

Undertale music though? Count me in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All people talking about how unique Isaac can be with literal stage control and I'm here like "how that would even work on transforming stages?".

KMDP

Smash Legend
He's actually right most of the time though.

People shouldn't cheat in a videogame.
Correction: people shouldn't cheat in multiplayer in Video Games.

You can cheat all you like in single player settings, hey, you bought the game, you can enjoy it however you like, just don't bring that stuff to competitive zones.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly kind of agree with this, he has a tail, can bite and can summon rocks, meh to me. Doesn't really seem like he'd be the most unique fighter which we know sakurai generally goes for in character selection
To be fair, when you don't put much effort into the description, any of the Pokemon characters would sound extremely boring.

Decidueye - shoots arrows and can summon grass and leaves.
Mimkyu - looks like Pikachu and has purple ghost hands to grab stuff.
Incineroar - punches and kicks with fire attacks.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Charlotte is pretty great. I actually had both my Male Corrins marry her just because. XD I actually can't remember who my sole female Corrin married...
You only used female Corrin once...you monster

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So I think based off reading this thread and the various "leaks" I think I have what seem to be the consensus top 10 most likely characters. Let's play a game, order these 10 in who you believe is most likely to least likely to be playable. Here's mine....

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee

D

Deleted member

He's actually right most of the time though.

People shouldn't cheat in a videogame.
He overreacts to that to a ridiculous degree.
Not to mention he has other problems that I won't go through because I don't want to derail this thread.

D

Deleted member

I agree with that sentiment. I think it would require quite a bit of imagination to properly convert the "fight style" of anyone from Undertale to a platform fighter without boiling them down to a simple weapon user. "I toss bones and i hit with a bone" is a bit... lackluster to me, but if Sakurai really wanted to I'm sure he could make it interesting.
Have all the bones do only 1% damage on hit, but have a temporary effect similar to the Flower that slowly causes damage over time.
We don't have a character that does something like that.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Cause of the Ballot, I’m in the group of people who think the Ballot will be prioritized. (We may not get a new Pokémon tho cause of how many fighters it already just got from the inclusions of Pichu and Red)

KMDP

Smash Legend
All people talking about how unique Isaac can be with literal stage control and I'm here like "how that would even work on transforming stages?".
"Better hope you placed that block correctly, because the transforming stage might wipe it out."

You only used female Corrin once...you monster
Me? A Monster? No... I'm the Devil!

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I can’t believe I’m apparently the only person who doesn’t like Takumi that much, he’s my second least favorite royal in Fates (I’m not even going to list my least for fear of being rended). I liked him a little better once I got Revalations and actually got to use him, but Xander is by far my favorite royal, and Leo and Hinata are up there too. Also just a host of normal units like Charlotte, Effie, and Oboro are ahead of Takumi for me as well. My favorite archer from Fates was definitely Reina, and Sakura with a Shining Bow was big for my team.

As for Takumi for Smash? Decidueye can be a dedicated archer with more fighting game potential and relevance (and personal likeability). If there’s a character added to Smash from FE for moveset uniqueness, I don’t think an archer is the best choice. I’d prefer a mounted unit, maybe a promoted lord like Eliwood or something, a wyvern-riding unit (alas Camilla’s the only one that comes to mind), an animal-shifting class like Laguz or Taguel, or a unique magic-user like Micaiah. I would say archery is probably the least potential the series gives after bard or cleric (non-War variety)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think Pichu hurts Mimikyu's chances any. Even if that makes three Pikachus we still have Link, Toon Link & Young Link or Marth, Red Marth & Long-haired Marth or Mario, Dr. Mario & Green Mario.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Correction: people shouldn't cheat in multiplayer in Video Games.

You can cheat all you like in single player settings, hey, you bought the game, you can enjoy it however you like, just don't bring that stuff to competitive zones.
Thank you, you're right.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
To be fair, when you don't put much effort into the description, any of the Pokemon characters would sound extremely boring.

Decidueye - shoots arrows and can summon grass and leaves.
Mimkyu - looks like Pikachu and has purple ghost hands to grab stuff.
Incineroar - punches and kicks with fire attacks.
Not really, I just described it's abilities.

Decidueye has wings, talons, a beak, can shoot arrows that can trap people, shoot leaves, is a ghost type
Mimikyu is a ghost and fairy type, has it's ghost claws and it's disguise ability.
Incineroar is a wrestler which no other character is and he can shoot fire.

I just think they all would make much more interesting characters than lycanroc tbh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cause of the Ballot, I’m in the group of people who think the Ballot will be prioritized. (We may not get a new Pokémon tho cause of how many fighters it already just got from the inclusions of Pichu and Red)
Nothing suggests they did well in the ballot though.
I mean Sceptile was popular on Smashboards but just because something is popular here doesn't mean it's popular all over the internet. I have no idea what suggests Gengar did well on the ballot so I dunno where you're coming from with him.
Also, keep in mind that Sakurai always looks forward to the newest Generation when he adds Pokemon newcomers.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Pichu hurts Mimikyu's chances any. Even if that makes three Pikachus we still have Link, Toon Link & Young Link or Marth, Red Marth & Long-haired Marth or Mario, Dr. Mario & Green Mario.
Don't forget Fox, Fox with a Beak and Grey Fox.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Come on, man. No low effort/one line reply-only posts.

So I think based off reading this thread and the various "leaks" I think I have what seem to be the consensus top 10 most likely characters. Let's play a game, order these 10 in who you believe is most likely to least likely to be playable. Here's mine....

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee
While I don't think all of these are likely (just the most talked about, therefore obviously the most mentioned in low effort/fake leaks)
1. Simon Belmont
2. K. Rool
3. Ashley
4. Dixie Kong
5. Isabelle
6. Bandana Dee
7. Geno
8. Decidueye
9. Shadow
10. Elma

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Same.

I could also see the pokemon newcomer being held off for DLC as pokemon sells well (DLC has to be characters people want to download) and as you said we already got more pokemon than smash 4 with the returning veterans.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
To be fair, the 3 links, the 3 marths and the 3 marios are all clones of one another. Mimikyu would obviously be a unique character. I don't think it would hold him back but it's worth mentioning

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not really, I just described it's abilities.

Decidueye has wings, talons, a beak, can shoot arrows that can trap people, shoot leaves, is a ghost type
Mimikyu is a ghost and fairy type, has it's ghost claws and it's disguise ability.
Incineroar is a wrestler which no other character is and he can shoot fire.

I just think they all would make much more interesting characters than lycanroc tbh.
The way Sakurai designs and proposes characters, he always sets up a "theme" (or as I'd like to call it, gimmick) that characters should follow. Even if it doesn't quite fit the canon, he'll generally base their entire moveset around that one or two themes.
Basically,
If it is not unique,
Then Sakurai would make it unique.

In Lyncanroc's case, he's mostly just a dog character, buuuuut he could always make the gimmick those floating rocks, or speed, or something.
KMDP KMDP has a thread talking about these project proposals

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee
Mine is:

1) Bandana Dee
2) Dixie Kong
3) King K Rool
4) Elma
5) Ashley
6) Isabelle
7) Simon
8) Decidueye
9) Geno
10) Shadow

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So. i noticed a lot of people talking about reps, so I'm just gonna say what i think about whilst hopefully not starting another argument. xD

1 sentence: It's nice to have reps for eras and such, but they arn't needed.

KMDP

Smash Legend
"HE'S SO GODDAMN COOL!"
Broly's legend first began, in 1993~...
I can’t believe I’m apparently the only person who doesn’t like Takumi that much, he’s my second least favorite royal in Fates (I’m not even going to list my least for fear of being rended). I liked him a little better once I got Revalations and actually got to use him, but Xander is by far my favorite royal, and Leo and Hinata are up there too. Also just a host of normal units like Charlotte, Effie, and Oboro are ahead of Takumi for me as well. My favorite archer from Fates was definitely Reina, and Sakura with a Shining Bow was big for my team.

As for Takumi for Smash? Decidueye can be a dedicated archer with more fighting game potential and relevance (and personal likeability). If there’s a character added to Smash from FE for moveset uniqueness, I don’t think an archer is the best choice. I’d prefer a mounted unit, maybe a promoted lord like Eliwood or something, a wyvern-riding unit (alas Camilla’s the only one that comes to mind), an animal-shifting class like Laguz or Taguel, or a unique magic-user like Micaiah. I would say archery is probably the least potential the series gives after bard or cleric (non-War variety)
Don't worry, I'm not too keen on Takumi either. Mostly because I played Conquest first, where he was... well... not himself. He's actually my least favourite Fates Lord.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say you're least favourite is Camilla. She seems to be... that character for most people. Actually it could be Hinoka, Elise or Sakura...

For Wyvern Riding units, there's... Camilla, Minerva and Haar.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Nothing suggests they did well in the ballot though.
I mean Sceptile was popular on Smashboards but just because something is popular here doesn't mean it's popular all over the internet. I have no idea what suggests Gengar did well on the ballot so I dunno where you're coming from with him.
Also, keep in mind that Sakurai always looks forward to the newest Generation when he adds Pokemon newcomers.
I was sort of going off of trends from the time, Sceptile was generally a popular choice then cause of the release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and Gengar has proven to be a popular Pokémon as well, as evidenced by his inclusion in Pokken being a result of fan demand. It could have been many Pokémon but these two just kinda struck me, also the character selection process for this game seems different from past Smash Bros games from what it looks like.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee
1. Dixie Kong
2. Elma
3. Bandana Dee
4. Ashley
5. King K. Rool
6. Geno
7. Decidueye
8. Shadow
9. Isabelle
10. Simon

D

Deleted member

Come on, man. No low effort/one line reply-only posts.
Just edited my posts.
Though I will say that I already posted multiple media-only posts without getting an infraction, so I didn't make an effort to follow the rules since they were not being enforced. I'll try to follow them more strictly from now on, though.
I was sort of going off of trends from the time, Sceptile was generally a popular choice then cause of the release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and Gengar has proven to be a popular Pokémon as well, as evidenced by his inclusion in Pokken being a result of fan demand. It could have been many Pokémon but these two just kinda struck me, also the character selection process for this game seems different from past Smash Bros games from what it looks like.
Nothing is pointing towards it being different though. Ridley has Samus Returns relevancy, Splatoon is huge and even Daisy got some push thanks to Mario Run.
Even then, Pokemon could always be the exception.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee
My ranking would be:
1. Simon
2. Ashley
3. Bandana Dee
4. Elma
5. King K. Rool
6. Dixie Kong
7. Geno
8. Decidueye
9. Isabelle
10. Shadow

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If we get any quadrupal character in; it needs to be Amaterasu from Okami. Amaterasu for Smash please
I have her in my top 10 most wanted and honestly, in terms of "Wii era legends," you'd be hard-pressed to find one bigger than Amaterasu. (Well, there's Travis Touchdown, but he's kinda... adult)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie Kong
3. Simon Belmont
4. Isabelle
5. Shadow
6. Geno
7. Ashley
8. Elma
9. Decidueye
10. Bandana Dee
What is today's topic? Most leaked up characters?
Glad you asked.
The top 10 characters in leaks are:
1. K. Rool
2. Simon Belmont
3. Shadow
4. Dixie Kong
5. Dark Samus
6. Ashley
7. Geno
8. Elma
9. Isabelle
10, Ray-Man/Banjo-Kazooie

A Pokémon Representative would be number 3 or 4.

Close, but Bandana Dee and Decidueye are top 20, not top 10.

I'm still holding out for my boi Lloyd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom