• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
And Kirby's dash attack looks super scary. Good kill power. Sour spot seems to have combo potential and it's fast with good reach. You actually have to respect him from further away now.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I would agree that Geno and Chrom (as an echo) both seem likely.

I do wonder if there’ll be any more reveals for echoes or if they’ll be kept as secret characters.
I'd like it if like, two or three characters were kept secret. Just for the "Really?" factor when you see the silhouette.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I feel like Geno actually has a better chance than most people think. I'm replaying SMRPG right now and I feel like the timed attack mechanic is just too good to pass up, and too wasted for a simple character like Paper Mario.

Plus, hearing that jingle every time you successfully land a timed attack would be SUPER nostalgic.

EDIT: He just has too much moveset potential. People who says he's fitting enough as a Mii costume have obviously never played SMRPG, to which I say, "play it immediately."

Last edited:

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
I don't think Chrom will make it (at least as an echo) in because Fire Emblem already has an echo fighter duo.

I'm not saying there can't be multiple echoes for the same franchise, but it seems a little strange.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I'd like it if like, two or three characters were kept secret. Just for the "Really?" factor when you see the silhouette.
Back when nobody knew who Mr. Game & Watch was.
Wish that happened with Takamaru, but you know the drill.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And Kirby's dash attack looks super scary. Good kill power. Sour spot seems to have combo potential and it's fast with good reach. You actually have to respect him from further away now.
Melee Kirby comes back from the depths of bottom tier just to wreak his revenge havoc

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Jesus, with all these extremely recent users I already feel like a SmashBoards veteran...
I may be a pretty old user, but I never really used this site. I did post s few things, but those were just saying I was back. Question is: how can you be back when you were never there? Lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We only had 2 of them last time though: Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.

Definitely not like Melee where all 9 unlockable newcomers where kept secret before release
I don't think the internet was so large he was blogging daily updates for Melee up until its release.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I feel like Geno actually has a better chance than most people think. I'm replaying SMRPG right now and I feel like the timed attack mechanic is just too good to pass up, and too wasted for a simple character like Paper Mario.

Plus, hearing that jingle every time you successfully land a timed attack would be SUPER nostalgic.

EDIT: He just has too much moveset potential. People who says he's fitting enough as a Mii costume have obviously never played SMRPG, to which I say, "play it immediately."
I bought it on the Wii U a little while ago. I think I’m gonna play it soon. I wanna understand all the Geno hype. And I just love Mario RPGs in general and never got around to it.

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
I may be a pretty old user, but I never really used this site. I did post s few things, but those were just saying I was back. Question is: how can you be back when you were never there? Lol
Yeah same for me. Was just lurking around a bit. Only now I started taking part in conversations

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I played it to completion twice, once in like 2010 and another in 2016.
It's okay but I don't consider it a masterpiece or certainly one of the best (mario) RPGs. Bowser's Inside Story can't be topped in my humble opinion. :p

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
We only had 2 of them last time though: Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.

Definitely not like Melee where all 9 unlockable newcomers where kept secret before release
2 seems about right. Considering that we’ll probably only get around 7-10 more characters

osby

Smash Obsessed
I played it to completion twice, once in like 2010 and another in 2016.
It's okay but I don't consider it a masterpiece or certainly one of the best (mario) RPGs. Bowser's Inside Story can't be topped in my humble opinion. :p
Don't underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don't think Chrom will make it (at least as an echo) in because Fire Emblem already has an echo fighter duo.

I'm not saying there can't be multiple echoes for the same franchise, but it seems a little strange.
Fire Emblem is pretty ripe for echoes, IMO. For better or worse

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I bought it on the Wii U a little while ago. I think I’m gonna play it soon. I wanna understand all the Geno hype. And I just love Mario RPGs in general and never got around to it.
Geno (I think) only has one line of dialogue which shows his angry sprite. The guy has chill, guns for arms, a 9999 damage-dealing attack when used perfectly, and fans are only disappointed, unlike a certain character's fanbase (obvious guess).

Last edited:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I'm still skeptical of Geno's chances. I think his highest chance was Brawl, and that didn't work out for him. He's a very nostalgic character for a lot of people, and I won't deny that I would be glad if he got in. But I don't see his chances being particularly high. He's kind of a relic.

Chrom I believe is fairly likely. We didn't see Robin's final smash in their video, and Chrom is super popular. Plus the whole "I'll get my chance another day" joke and Viridi's comments in the robin codec call.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad would be okay but I really can't think of a character that would be less interesting than the standard toad tbh.
I mean I can think of several that already made it into Smash;

:ultwiifittrainer:: A generic yoga instructor
:ultsheik:: A generic ninja archetype who doesn't even use the damn harp, the ONE THING Sheik actually does in Ocarina.
:ultmarth:: A generic swordsman(sorry Marth but you're pretty stock)
:ultroy:: A generic swordsman with fire(and I absolutely adore Roy)
:ultlucina:: A generic swordsman but genderflipped
:ultmiifighters:: An actual generic
:ultdoc:: Melee Mario, but with pills.
:ultyounglink:: Link but younger
:ulttoonlink:: Link but younger AND a cartoon

There's several others I could name too, but they're probably more subjective.

Also Sakurai managed to make :ultlittlemac:somehow interesting despite all he does is punch. Expand your mind friend.

Toad could;
Run up walls allowing for neat little KO opportunities(taken directly from Wario's Woods)
Pick up and run around with opponents like a speedy Donkey Kong(taken from Wario's Woods and SMB2)
Blow up a mother****ing castle with some bombs(Taken from Wario's Woods again)
Stack up several carry items/opponents at once and take them for a ride(Wario's Woods once more)
Have a trapping move based which forces the opponent to roll a dice(taken from Mario Party and his role as host where he demands people role the damn dice block)
As he's known as the items guy, you could literally create a :ultvillager: style moveset for him that uses everything and the kitchen sink from the Mario mainline games without it being out of character. Hell, they did it for :ultpacman: using Namco stuff after all. Probably my least favourite option, but it's not out of character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Chrom I believe is fairly likely. We didn't see Robin's final smash in their video, and Chrom is super popular. Plus the whole "I'll get my chance another day" joke and Viridi's comments in the robin codec call.
Please, a lot of people are in the "HOLY **** CONFIRMED!!!" rage because someone wasn't seen at E3 either because an alt was missing or someone in an animation wasn't shown in a preview. Especially when we only know like what, 10% of the game? I wouldn't be too hopeful and keep my expectations in check.

I learned the hard way with Waluigi.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Please, a lot of people are in the "HOLY **** CONFIRMED!!!" rage because someone wasn't seen at E3 either because an alt was missing or someone in an animation wasn't shown in a preview. Especially when we only know like what, 10% of the game? I wouldn't be too hopeful and keep my expectations in check.

I learned the hard way with Waluigi.
I mean, I don't disagree that we should temper are expectations. If we're getting a Fire emblem echo Chrom isn't who I would want anyway :p. But I think he is more likely than others, even if a lot of "evidence" is circumstantial.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Everybody's gushing over their favorite RPGs and debating Chrom again, and I'm just sitting here wondering what the admins are gonna do when it comes to datamine spoilers. Maybe they'll edit them as to hide the content featured in the datamines?

Is that what you guys plan on doing? It's enough of a pain to see core plot points smack dab in the middle of Youtube thumbnails.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm saying people remember Super Mario RPG so fondly because of its age.
Yeah it's like what, 22 years old? I understand why people like it but I don't really think its that recommendable. Just my opinion though, the game aged quite a bit.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
Everybody's gushing over their favorite RPGs and debating Chrom again, and I'm just sitting here wondering what the admins are gonna do when it comes to datamine spoilers. Maybe they'll edit them as to hide the content featured in the datamines?

Is that what you guys plan on doing? It's enough of a pain to see core plot points smack dab in the middle of Youtube thumbnails.
This is an actual major concern of mine. I remember GameXPlain spoiling Roy and Ryu in the thumbnail of their video.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I think SMRPG is perfectly recommendable. It's aged, obviously, but it's still fun. I played it long after its heyday on the virtual console and it wasn't particularly difficult to get into or understand. Nor was it very difficult. The controls can be slippery sometimes but that's all I noticed.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Yeah it's like what, 22 years old? I understand why people like it but I don't really think its that recommendable. Just my opinion though, the game aged quite a bit.
I'm currently playing through it, and it's a game I'd certainly recommend. It doesn't even take long to beat (at least where I am) and there's many secrets.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
:ulticeclimbers: are looking like trash. Why exactly did they nerfed Nana to do absolutely nothing? Just deleting Nana's grab was enough.
Unfortunately. They're excellent in Melee and Brawl, but they seem lower-mid now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm sure if Ice Climbers were in Smash 4 they would've suffered the same fate.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Sakurai fears the wobble
Just makes it more confusing, they removed every single thing that could lead to wobbling, like grab timer and techable footstools. The gimmick of the Ice Climbers is two character in one. If Nana is completely useless what is even the point of having her around? She is a complete inconvenience. Might as well have retconned it to the "Ice Climber."

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I can certainly see why Mario RPG is beloved as it is, being that it's got a fairly unique world. I was an impatient kid so platformers were the way to go for me, and I didn't play it until I was older. It's a lot of fun, and Bowser really comes into his own there, but honestly the original characters are all incredibly dull. Mallow is uninteresting visually and character-wise and Geno comes off as a bit of an OC-donut with his god-like backstory and super powerful attacks. I very honestly don't understand why so many people want this random side character from a SNES game as a playable character.

I'm not going to be an asshole and say I hope he's not playable or anything, I just genuinely don't understand. I think an apt comparison would be like if Hyrule Warriors happened 25 years ago and people wanted Lana really bad.

The gimmick of the Ice Climbers is two character in one. If Nana is completely useless what is even the point of having her around? She is a complete inconvenience.
Well, I mean, she attacks.

Last edited:

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
After Ice Climbers were so obnoxious in both Smash games they were included I'm honstly fine with them being complete trash and not having to play against them. The memory of Brawl days gives me nightmares.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
'probably unpopular opinion here (atleast, to IC main currently watching), but I am glad Wobble & Infinite chaingrab are done. The concept of two character is interesting, but Wobble & infinite chaingrab, while difficult to do, I won't deny it, just wasn't enjoyable to watch and not fun for the opponent who was at the receving end of it (except if they were masochist or somethin', I don't know).

On that note, while Nana is unable to do anything if Popo grab someone or if he get grabbed may look to be quit extreme. As long as the Smash Team give the necessary tools to them to compensate for their chaingrabs (Nana having a good IA, both of them have a good recovery, their moves being safe on shield aslong as two fight in unison,etc..), I feel like the IC could be at a solid mid tier placement, yeah, they won't be as good as in Brawl & Melee, but hey, better be decent than be Melee Kirby.

That's my two cents on it anyway, I ain't no pro IC players, but I really think they won't be that bad.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Jesus, with all these extremely recent users I already feel like a SmashBoards veteran...
You think you're old? I remember the days of Smash 4 speculation, and when the full roster leaked a Wolf fan cursed out the entire board.

Good times.

Also, I made a DLC Roster for my roster:
Ultimate DLC Wish Roster.png

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I can certainly see why Mario RPG is beloved as it is, being that it's got a fairly unique world. I was an impatient kid so platformers were the way to go for me, and I didn't play it until I was older. It's a lot of fun, and Bowser really comes into his own there, but honestly the original characters are all incredibly dull. Mallow is uninteresting visually and character-wise and Geno comes off as a bit of an OC-donut with his god-like backstory and super powerful attacks. I very honestly don't understand why so many people want this random side character from a SNES game as a playable character.

I'm not going to be an ******* and say I hope he's not playable or anything, I just genuinely don't understand. I think an apt comparison would be like if Hyrule Warriors happened 25 years ago and people wanted Lana really bad.

Well, I mean, she attacks.
I agree with the part about the original characters, and this is coming from someone who unironically wants a character (that isn't Geno) from that game in Smash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom