• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Thanks!

I do think it'd be really funny crazy if they just spring a new trailer on us on the blog tomorrow. XD
I have been thinking that might be how they reveal echo fighters. I'm not sure about brand new fighters though.

I've been hoping they'd announce a new character (brand new or echo) each month until launch with the shorter than normal hype cycle. But if they do, I'd hope they at least have small livestream videos for the brand new fighters, and maybe have an echo fighter thrown in (like with Robin and Lucina). Because obviously, there isn't going to be a Nintendo Direct each month.

Or maybe the announcements will be more spread out than I think. Or maybe there won't be any newcomer announcements before launch. I have no definitive idea of how they are handling this.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Can they please just reveal Simon already so the "leaks" can stop riding the Vergebandwagon.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Bayonetta three is going to have a third girl, this girl will be in Smash...

I feel it.

Yeah, it's dumb but, I wonder how are are they gonna market this thing?

Also if we don't get Rool, I won't be mad just confused.

Lastly the Rayman stuff is just odd, like all of it. The model looking ready to be rigged up, there even BEING a model. Artsy picking Rayman, ect.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
So, anyway, I know "leak" hunting isn't my job, but I went to Gamefaqs to see if there were any interesting topics, and there was one about a 4chan "leaker" who said they can get pictures of some new characters by Monday or Tuesday or whatever. They go by the name of Mauve. I've been out for a while, so I'm wondering if it's already been talked about.

If it has, sorry in advance for being redundant.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I wonder, if I made a 'Freddy Fazbear for Smash Dicsussion Thread', would anyone post? Probably not. I want my high-tier Indie in Smash!

Also, at some point, I will have to ask someone here to link me to the exact page (on Smashboards) when Ridley was revealed. I forgot to check out the reactions here, the negative reactions in ResetEra during the Smash reveal burned me out a bit.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have been thinking that might be how they reveal echo fighters. I'm not sure about brand new fighters though.

I've been hoping they'd announce a new character (brand new or echo) each month until launch with the shorter than normal hype cycle. But if they do, I'd hope they at least have small livestream videos for the brand new fighters, and maybe have an echo fighter thrown in (like with Robin and Lucina). Because obviously, there isn't going to be a Nintendo Direct each month.

Or maybe the announcements will be more spread out than I think. Or maybe there won't be any newcomer announcements before launch. I have no definitive idea of how they are handling this.
With the shorter than usual hype cycle, just popping the trailers on the blog like they did with Brawl, or with only super-short term announcement (e.g. "Hey, there's going to be something new on the Smash Bros. Blog in about an hour.") might actually be reasonable.

The fact that it was only announced 3 months ago and will be out in 6 months means that it's still fresh on people's minds; with Smash Bros. being such a big Nintendo thing, they can afford a smaller marketing strategy for this short a term (it's not like a company announcing a Game or Movie and then never marketing it for years until release and then wondering why it doesn't sell well, as has happened all too frequently). Fans of the game will be checking the blog fairly frequently, and with the game being such a big deal for Nintendo fans and gamers in general, word of mouth will spread quickly. In fact, Nintendo could just post a trailer to the blog and say nothing until a little bit after and hundreds of thousands of people would still see it anyway before the official announcement.

It's possible that they got feedback from Japanese fans saying they preferred the way Brawl handled it's announcements over Smash 4 or something, since this situation is very similar (the only difference is we know all the veterans in advance).

'Course, I'm not a marketing guy, I don't know the ins and outs of advertising (except for common sense things. XD)

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wonder, if I made a 'Freddy Fazbear for Smash Dicsussion Thread', would anyone post? Probably not. I want my high-tier Indie in Smash!

Also, at some point, I will have to ask someone here to link me to the exact page (on Smashboards) when Ridley was revealed. I forgot to check out the reactions here, the negative reactions in ResetEra during the Smash reveal burned me out a bit.
I want to make a Sans thread but I can't that'll be too mean.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can they please just reveal Simon already so the "leaks" can stop riding the Vergebandwagon.
Better yet, deconfirm him so Vergenbandwagon can crash and burn like it's supposed to.
laugh in their faces too

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Simon has became the new Chorus Kids.

With the shorter than usual hype cycle, just popping the trailers on the blog like they did with Brawl, or with only super-short term announcement (e.g. "Hey, there's going to be something new on the Smash Bros. Blog in about an hour.") might actually be reasonable.

The fact that it was only announced 3 months ago and will be out in 6 months means that it's still fresh on people's minds; with Smash Bros. being such a big Nintendo thing, they can afford a smaller marketing strategy for this short a term (it's not like a company announcing a Game or Movie and then never marketing it for years until release and then wondering why it doesn't sell well, as has happened all too frequently). Fans of the game will be checking the blog fairly frequently, and with the game being such a big deal for Nintendo fans and gamers in general, word of mouth will spread quickly. In fact, Nintendo could just post a trailer to the blog and say nothing until a little bit after and hundreds of thousands of people would still see it anyway before the official announcement.

It's possible that they got feedback from Japanese fans saying they preferred the way Brawl handled it's announcements over Smash 4 or something, since this situation is very similar (the only difference is we know all the veterans in advance).

'Course, I'm not a marketing guy, I don't know the ins and outs of advertising (except for common sense things. XD)
They will probably announce a livestream instead of just randomly updating the site so they can get people to react to it. It's free marketing.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted more support for Chorus Kids :-( the Rhythm Heaven series just needs and screams playable representation but that Ballot thingy probably destroys it for our cute little choir boys...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can say without lying that I'd honestly be fine with whatever happens to Simon Belmont.

If he gets in the game, cool. Never really cared for him, but he's supposedly an icon in retro gaming, so I guess I'd be accepting of his inclusion. If he doesn't get in the game, no huge loss. Again, never really cared for him.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I don't have high hopes for Falco. Idk why he keeps getting nerfed it's not like he's ever been cheap or broken like meta knight was in brawl.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
  • All their attacks share the same animation basis, any animations that are different are entirely cosmetic (Peach looks away when Toad counterattacks, Daisy doesn't)
This is a minor nitpick but I keep seeing people mention this and the Daisy/Peach animation difference is incorrect. People are mixing up the counter with the throw.

https://youtu.be/L93H7YC-83o

At about 15:30 in Daisy's video you can see she does the same animation for the counter. I'm just pointing it out to show that cosmetic effects might not be as common, but I do think Lucina has a different animation for neutral B.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's my updated, post-E3 2018 roster (warning: it's faaaaat):
Changes from the previous versions:
- Toon Zelda and Bomberman have been removed.
- Black Shadow stays and now becomes an Echo to :ultfalcon:.
- Includes a total of 18 newcomers for 5 new Echo fighters.

This roster is a follow-up to my deluxe version of my previous roster, as Ultimate's roster is likely to exceeds it.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Here's my updated, post-E3 2018 roster (warning: it's faaaaat):
Changes from the previous versions:
- Toon Zelda and Bomberman have been removed.
- Black Shadow stays and now becomes an Echo to :ultfalcon:.
- Includes a total of 18 newcomers for 5 new Echo fighters.

This roster is a follow-up to my deluxe version of my previous roster, as Ultimate's roster is likely to exceeds it.
Looks nice, I'd be satisfied with that roster. Wouldn't mind a few others though.

MainJPW

M.T.A
It's not like, now they have the Echo designator, all new clones must be Echoes. :grin:

The same goes for Shadow, take Sonic as a base, change up some things
The thing with Shadow is, and I know I'm going to make people groan when I say this, he straight up hasn't used the moves that Sonic uses in Smash besides the specials.

Sonic's moveset in Smash is literally mostly derived from his Sonic The Fighters moveset.

His forward tilt is his Horse kick:

Forward Smash is the Windup Punch:

His Fair is from Emerald Drive:

Up Air scissor kick is just Scissor Punch but with his feet:

He also had a lot of spin attacks in both Fighters and Battle, thus his 8,000 different spin attacks in Smash.

Ironically enough the one move that is taken from Battle is his Dair, which is from Shadow:

Sonic's fighting style in Battle and other games is basically Capoeira, a martial art that combines elements of dance and acrobatics. Even in Smash, that style is realized through his Down-Smash in 4 and Ultimate where he does the splits. Shadow could do all of this in that there's nothing stopping Sakurai from making him an echo... it's just that he literally hasn't done any of that. Shadow doesn't fight with high-speed dance moves or wind-up punches, he manipulates and channels Chaos energy and even engulfs his fists with it, distorts space and manipulates space-time. He does this many, many times and has never displayed the bulk of the moves above or from Sonic's moveset in Battle. Shadow's only a clone because he uses Spin Dash, Homing Attack and Light Speed Dash, that's it.

The other day viewtifulduck82 viewtifulduck82 made a post about how we have to ignore lore because it doesn't matter in Smash
See here

And I agree with that (besides "he has done everything Sonic does in Smash" and as you can see above he hasn't); my point (and I wasn't sure if his comment was in response to me or not) about Shadow doing all those Chaos moves and having a different a fighting style in the games was specifically in response to a user claiming that Shadow not having anything to pull from to make him different from Sonic and sharing all his abilities, which are obviously false. I never said or argued he could not or would not be an echo, I actually expect him to be one if he is in the game as a playable character.

(change his run, taunts and idles, replace the spring for a warp, his side spin attack for throwing energy spears, change some of the sillier attacks to be more serious), there, done.
Easy. Neutral:

Dash Attack:

Up-Smash and Forward Smash:

Done. Use assets from Lucas' PK Fire for Chaos Spear.

Dark Samus doesn't have to be an Echo by this parameter either. I'm not too familiar with Metroid though, so I don't know what, specifically, they can do with her.
Dark Samus definitely has unique abilities that Samus doesn’t. The problem with DS being an echo is that it can't use most of the equipment that Samus uses in her specials (Morph Ball, Screw Attack, the flamethrower, missiles, grappling hook, etc), Dark Samus uses unique Phazon powers like the ones present in its assist trophy. It can also use Phazon Pillar, Phazon Boost, Dark Echo and it can manipulate Phazon energy at will.

Watch this:

Shadow and Dark Samus are characters who should not be echos but you know they probably would be.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Actually, how was Robin and Lucina's trailer revealed? Was it in a mini direct? I can't really remember.

All I remember is that it was on July 14th 2014. XD

Incidentally, July 14th 2014 was a Monday, July 9th 2018 is also a Monday.

Guys we're totally getting another trailer~!
*hides tin-foil hat in a bush*
You two dropped this during you theories:)
As someone with a theory of my own (that everyone already knows), I like hearing other people's theories.
So I still believe my own crackpot theory anyone care to hear it?
Sure I want to hear it:)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I mentioned earlier that western Japan (with Kyoto I.e Nintendo HQ included) was hit with extremely heavy rain at unprecedented levels. Numerous prefectures from Fukuoka to Kyoto have been heavily affected by flooding and landslides in just under 24 hours.

Thankfully, my in-laws are ok as they were on the southern edges and only got a little rain. But many people have lost their homes and even towns have been wiped off the map. To date, there has been 77 dead and 60 some unknown with over 100 injuries. I watched an interview with a man who didn’t know what happened to his wife and sons as he was not home. They discovered his wife’s body during the interview. It’s just so sad. I know it’s pretty off-topic but considering that Smash is a Japanese game and we have Japanese game designers to thank for it - I thought it was worth noting.

If you feel the need to, there are various outlets you can donate to such as the Japanese Res Cross or Binance. I’ve been doing some searching online for programs available for overseas.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The thing with Shadow is, and I know I'm going to make people groan when I say this, he straight up hasn't used the moves that Sonic uses in Smash besides the specials.

Sonic's moveset in Smash is literally mostly derived from his Sonic The Fighters moveset.

He also had a lot of spin attacks in both Fighters and Battle, thus his 8,000 different spin attacks in Smash.

Ironically enough the one move that is taken from Battle is his Dair, which is from Shadow:

Sonic's fighting style in Battle and other games is basically Capoeira, a martial art that combines elements of dance and acrobatics. Even in Smash, that style is realized through his Down-Smash in 4 and Ultimate where he does the splits. Shadow could do all of this in that there's nothing stopping Sakurai from making him an echo... it's just that he literally hasn't done any of that. Shadow doesn't fight with high-speed dance moves or wind-up punches, he manipulates and channels Chaos energy and even engulfs his fists with it, distorts space and manipulates space-time. He does this many, many times and has never displayed the bulk of the moves above or from Sonic's moveset in Battle. Shadow's only a clone because he uses Spin Dash, Homing Attack and Light Speed Dash, that's it.

The other day viewtifulduck82 viewtifulduck82 made a post about how we have to ignore lore because it doesn't matter in Smash
See here

And I agree with that (besides "he has done everything Sonic does in Smash" and as you can see above he hasn't); my point (and I wasn't sure if his comment was in response to me or not) about Shadow doing all those Chaos moves and having a different a fighting style in the games was specifically in response to a user claiming that Shadow not having anything to pull from to make him different from Sonic and sharing all his abilities, which are obviously false. I never said or argued he could not or would not be an echo, I actually expect him to be one if he is in the game as a playable character.

Easy. Neutral:

Dash Attack:

Dark Samus definitely has unique abilities that Samus doesn’t. The problem with DS being an echo is that it can't use most of the equipment that Samus uses in her specials (Morph Ball, Screw Attack, the flamethrower, missiles, grappling hook, etc), Dark Samus uses unique Phazon powers like the ones present in its assist trophy. It can also use Phazon Pillar, Phazon Boost, Dark Echo and it can manipulate Phazon energy at will.

Watch this:

Shadow and Dark Samus are characters who should not be echos but you know they probably would be.
Anyone who says any character can't be unique is wrong. Sakurai could make anyone completely unique if he wanted to.

And there are tons of characters that fit the minimum requirement we know for echoes, even if they could have their own unique moveset.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
:ultjigglypuff:

See here

Easy. Neutral:

Dash Attack:

Watch this:

Idk there's only so much you can do with a hedgehog that turns into a ball. In past smash games we may have gotten shadow changed like wolf is compared to fox but with the introduction of echo fighters I feel that's where he fits now.

They wouldn't introduce the concept and add fighters like Daisy if they didn't have fighters like shadow, chrom and dark Samus in mind who aren't unique enough to be fully fleshed out fighters. If Lucina was released now she would be an echo fighter 100%.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't have high hopes for Falco. Idk why he keeps getting nerfed it's not like he's ever been cheap or broken like meta knight was in brawl.
That's only cause Falco is overshadowed by Fox in Melee.

He was pretty ridiculous there. He was also very good in Brawl, but that might've been because of the lasers and his crazy grabs.

I do wish he was still good however. Marth got the necessary buffs to escape from Low Tier to Top Tier.. Falco wasn't as lucky. Maybe this time?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I am dead. That's it, Officially Best Smash.
I went back and checked the Ridley/ultimate reactions and found mine. I 100% still feel the same, like it's insane to think not only every character is returning but also RIDLEY?!

This will be the Smash game to end Smash games. I feel like we forget this arguing about echoes and "leaks" and whatever, but I truly am so thankful and excited for this game!

KMDP

Smash Legend
This is a minor nitpick but I keep seeing people mention this and the Daisy/Peach animation difference is incorrect. People are mixing up the counter with the throw.

https://youtu.be/L93H7YC-83o

At about 15:30 in Daisy's video you can see she does the same animation for the counter. I'm just point it out to show that cosmetic effects might not be as common, but I do think Lucina has a different animation for neutral B.
I'm assuming it's her forward throw? Fair enough. But if she uses the same animation for the activation of her Neutral B then what's the difference?

See here

Easy. Neutral:

Dash Attack:

Thanks for backing up my point with evidence! :grin:
Yeah... *groans*
There's a certain level of 'lore' that needs to be adhered to, you can't just ignore everything just 'cause. XD
They wouldn't introduce the concept and add fighters like Daisy if they didn't have fighters like shadow, chrom and dark Samus in mind who aren't unique enough to be fully fleshed out fighters. If Lucina was released now she would be an echo fighter 100%.
This is a common argument I see, and it simply doesn't hold water.
They introduced a new moniker for clone characters... ...so what? Sakurai is not required to introduce more than just Daisy to 'legitimize the concept'.
By the very rules they seem to have now: back in Smash 4, we had two Echo Fighters, and now we have three. They can add more, but they don't need to.

People should really stop saying they do.
EDIT: For the record, if Shadow gets in as an Echo Fighter, I'll accept it. Until then, I will fight against the notion.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm assuming it's her forward throw? Fair enough. But if she uses the same animation for the activation of her Neutral B then what's the difference?

Thanks for backing up my point with evidence! :grin:

Yeah... *groans*
There's a certain level of 'lore' that needs to be adhered to, you can't just ignore everything just 'cause. XD

This is a common argument I see, and it simply doesn't hold water.
They introduced a new moniker for clone characters... ...so what? Sakurai is not required to introduce more than just Daisy to 'legitimize the concept'.
By the very rules they seem to have now: back in Smash 4, we had two Echo Fighters, and now we have three. They can add more, but they don't need to.

People should really stop saying they do.
I was saying there is no animation difference between Daisy and Peach's moves currently. Well so far as we can tell we need more footage.

But people always reference that she doesn't look away in her neutral B but she does. They are thinking of footage of her throws which so far look the same as Peach as well. So far their animations looks the same.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
That's only cause Falco is overshadowed by Fox in Melee.

He was pretty ridiculous there. He was also very good in Brawl, but that might've been because of the lasers and his crazy grabs.

I do wish he was still good however. Marth got the necessary buffs to escape from Low Tier to Top Tier.. Falco wasn't as lucky. Maybe this time?

I was fine with his Brawl nerf. He was in a good place then, I just don't see why they had to nerf him again in smash 4. The changing gameplay mechanics would have fixed some of his issues with grabbing. Instead they went and killed his neutral game.

Fox got nerfed too but he's still quite good in all smash games, for some reason Nintendo see falco as the problem.

Going from the trailer it doesn't look promising at all I know it's too early to say for sure, but with everything getting better I don't see enough down for Falcao to slice back into high tier

And I'm 90% sure people are jumping the gun and neither will get in as an Echo Fighter.
Agree to disagree then

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom