• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Theorizing that one could accurately predict SSBU before the game came out, Dr. DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon stepped into /v/ boards of 4chan... and vanished!

He awoke to find himself trapped on the site, facing countless pieces of misinformation, and driven by an unknown force to catalogue them all.

And so Dr. tehponycorn finds himself leaping from board to board, striving to find a real leak and hoping each time that the next leak, will be the leak home.

If we're making leak memes, here's one that I've had in mind for a while:
1q8woa.jpg

This can apply to any leak that turned out to be correct.
I don't mind the air-quotes thing. I'm just saying, there are a lot of people who misuse the word or don't put air-quotes at all. It's better that we come up with a new word as iconic/intelligible as "leak" for potentially false information, because every time some mediocre YouTuber uses that word wrong, people put a little bit of faith in it.

Leak implies "leaked information", not "k guys, take this with a grain of salt". You could take literal crap and present it as anything, that doesn't mean it's what you say it is.
I understand the concern, but if other people cover it, it's likely not coming from here, but rather from the actual source, which presents itself as a leak. There's nothing we can do about that. The only time that's happened is when Ninka/Vaanrose was big here and other sites looked to us, but they only looked at the original posts.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Didn't know this was happening.

Honestly at this point if we're talking 3rd party females that are important to gaming

Mai, Chun Li, Tifa, Ivy, Lara I can see them all. :ultzss: and :ultbayonetta: models can serve the lot of them.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Didn't know this was happening.

Honestly at this point if we're talking 3rd party females that are important to gaming

Mai, Chun Li, Tifa, Ivy, Laura I can see them all. :ultzss: and :ultbayonetta: models can serve the lot of them.
Laura? Important?
In what universe?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mai, Chun Li, Tifa, Ivy, Laura I can see them all. :ultzss: and :ultbayonetta: models can serve the lot of them.
It's not Laura Croft, it's Lara Croft, no 'u'. Sorry, it's just a misspelling that gets to me.

That aside I'd say yes to all of them. XD (not that I've ever played KoF or Street Fighter, but... eh...)

I'd say Chun-Li and Tifa are the 'most' likely, if only because their franchises already have their foot in the door.
Mai and Ivy would have to be toned down some... Not only that, Ivy has to compete with Heihachi and, from her own series, Nightmare (who is the mascot of SC).
Lara has the same issue that Snake does, she's well known for using (realistic) guns; unfortunately, unlike Snake, she's not well known for using other weapons.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know what still ****ing blows my mind to this day? Rewind back to Valentines Day of 2015. Smashboards was a bloody **** show because of the leak that happened that day. Yep, the Rayman leak. That’s not the kicker to me. The thing is Ubisoft acknowledged it and said they were planning to comment on it. I find that so weird. Makes me really wonder if Rayman was ever planned for Smash for.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I seem to remember some rumors about a reveal July 9th. Those are probably bogus because it was for some game convention and there are never reveals at those.
Oh good, I was thinking of Street Fighter V's Laura who is about as important as those "do not tear" tags.
Heh, I'm stealing this one.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know what still ****ing blows my mind to this day? Rewind back to Valentines Day of 2015. Smashboards was a bloody **** show because of the leak that happened that day. Yep, the Rayman leak. That’s not the kicker to me. The thing is Ubisoft acknowledged it and said they were planning to comment on it. I find that so weird. Makes me really wonder if Rayman was ever planned for Smash for.
ArtsyOmni's render was so accurate Sakurai felt the only recourse was to cut Rayman from the game. :laugh:

---

Here's an event match I just came up with!

Rise of the Second Bananas
These Player 2s are sick and tired of playing second fiddle to their leading costars! Defeat them in a 4v4 battle royale!​
Player Character(s): Pick of Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic or Ryu.​
Allies: Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Ryu (anyone you didn't pick)​
Enemies: Luigi, Diddy Kong, Tails, Ken​

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's not like, now they have the Echo designator, all new clones must be Echoes. :grin:
I don't think that's the only thing. There's that out of all the newcomers added in Smash 4, the only clones were Dark Pit and Lucina, so people are under the impression that semi-clones are a thing of the past. I feel like if they use another character as a base, they'll either be echoes or they'll get the full Wolf treatment.

But hey, I could still be wrong about this. Especially since less resources are probably going into newcomers than last time.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Two more "leaks"
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423428679
There are only two more newcomers.

Simon Belmont
Travis Touchdown
Waluigi isn’t in smash and will never be. stop Harassing Mr. Sakurai with your **** memes.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/423427061/#423427061
There are six newcomer characters in smash ultimate, 10 echo fighters, and one new character of an entirely new category, “bonus fighters”

Newcomers:
Decidueye
K. Rool
Spring-Man and Ribbon Girl
Simon Belmont
Karate Joe
Ashley

Echo fighters:
Shadow (Sonic)
Ken (Ryu)
Big Boss (Snake)
Mario 64 (Mario)
Dark Samus (Samus)
MegaMan 8bit (MegaMan)
Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi)
Rex (Shulk)
Donkey Kong Jr. (Donkey Kong)
Classic Link (Link)

Bonus fighter: Goku

Development is stressing that bonus fighters are exclusive to the smash installment they debut in, and there will only be one bonus fighter per game. So dont expect to see Goku in another smash ever again. This is to seperate each installment from one another.

Time will validate this thread, so all the neogaffers can screencap this and post it on r/4chan.
We've got Goku in a leak boys. Goku.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I honestly think there won't ever be a hoax as crazy as the Artsy Omni Rayman video.
That video spread like wildfire and to this day, it has 1 million views. I still remember how many people were in the Rayman thread. I think it was around 100 people at the time. That's just nuts to me. Then people started to get mad when it was fake and insulting him.
To this day, not only do I respect Omni as an artist, but I think he forever changed our perception on how real a leak can get. He made us look like fools, but some of us came out of it with a more critical eye.
Quite frankly, no leak since then has come close to matching the validity of the Omni hoax.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Two more "leaks"

Simon Belmont
Travis Touchdown
Waluigi isn’t in smash and will never be. stop Harassing Mr. Sakurai with your **** memes.
There are six newcomer characters in smash ultimate, 10 echo fighters, and one new character of an entirely new category, “bonus fighters”

Newcomers:
Decidueye
K. Rool
Simon Belmont
Karate Joe
Ashley

Echo fighters:
Shadow (Sonic)
Ken (Ryu)
Big Boss (Snake)
Mario 64 (Mario)
Dark Samus (Samus)
MegaMan 8bit (MegaMan)
Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi)
Rex (Shulk)
Classic Link (Link)

Development is stressing that bonus fighters are exclusive to the smash installment they debut in, and there will only be one bonus fighter per game. So dont expect to see Goku in another smash ever again. This is to seperate each installment from one another.

Time will validate this thread, so all the neogaffers can screencap this and post it on r/4chan.
I'm more shocked by Yarn Yoshi and Rex as an Echo of Shulk to be honest. Goku is normalcy...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Development is stressing that bonus fighters are exclusive to the smash installment they debut in, and there will only be one bonus fighter per game.
You know, that sounds like an interesting idea.

But just like we discussed ad nauseum a couple days ago, anyone who says Rex would be an Echo of Shulk has literally no idea what they're talking about.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Two more "leaks"

Simon Belmont
Travis Touchdown

Newcomers:
Decidueye
K. Rool
Simon Belmont
Karate Joe
Ashley

Echo fighters:
Shadow (Sonic)
Ken (Ryu)
Big Boss (Snake)
Mario 64 (Mario)
Dark Samus (Samus)
MegaMan 8bit (MegaMan)
Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi)
Rex (Shulk)
Classic Link (Link)

I'm loving the toby meme so much

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
What about the hours before the July 2014 reveals with the Rayman trophy? Not to mention the reveals themself(?) and how they impacted the Gematsu leak. THAT was crazy.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If we were to get an iconic female 3rd party character...Chun Li/Lara Croft/Jill Valentine or **** of anybother 3rd party female character not in Smash

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Gotta say, I love how everyone and their mother has some “insider info” on Smash Ult. I think we have a “leak” influx this speculation period. I don’t even think Smash 4’s speculation period was riddled with this many “leaks”.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Dixie's Hair = Vital to her character. She'd actually work better as a mechanical clone of DK than Diddy, because she can use it in the same wasy as his Up and Down Specials, as well as carry things with it (like DK's grab).
Tails' tails = Vital to his character to the point that it's his frackin' NICKNAME! If he can't use his Tails to fly/attack what is even the point of having him?
Shadow's Chaos Control = Arguably vital, it's been a core ability of his since day one. (Warping as well as the time slow)
Isabelle's personality = like BOTW Zelda, she's a non-combatant, while she could be a Villager echo, one could argue that that is grossly OOC for her (Ganondorf fighting like a slower, more powerful Falcon is not, strictly speaking, out of character for him, neither is Daisy like Peach or Dark Pit like Pit).
I think there's a good chance that Dixie might be called an Echo Fighter, and still have unique hair moves. Or Tails fly with his tails, and otherwise mostly play like Sonic. I think Echoes are probably a rebranding of the clone concept. I think that the definition Smashboards has extrapolated and then made OFFICIAL, using just Sakurai's translated statement and Nate and Bill's offhand comments in the Gamexplain video to justify it is too strict. I need more information to go along with the idea that a character can't be an Echo. As to why Dr. Mario isn't an Echo, I also think Bill and Nate may have just been trying to figure out why he doesn't count specifically. Are they involved with Sakurai's actual development plans? I thought they just tested and translated it. Whatever the case may be, my point is that you shouldn't stress yourself out about TAILS CANNOT BE AN ECHO or whatever because 1) we don't know what an Echo means precisely, and 2) the people you're responding to may not agree on your definition.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm loving the toby meme so much
I love the theory that people talking about "Toby" are actually Nintendo employees trying to discredit every leak and make an actually fake leak (their's) prominent.

Also I missed a leak apparently. Here it is:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422873627/#422873627
MASSIVE LEAK!!

Stages:

All stages will make their return with the exception of ''Miiverse''. New stages will be announced but I won't spoil everything.

Assit trophies: I will only spoil those which people expect to be characters.

- Spring man

- Isac (Golden sun)

- Crash bandicoot

- Rabbids

-The knight from Ghosts and Goblins.

New characters:

1) reveal trailers

- Simon belmont: Announcement: July 31st

- King K. Rool + Dixie Kong: Announcement: September 15th (Trailer will feature both characters)

- Rex: Annoucement: November 1st

- Banjo Kazooie: Annoucement: December 4th

2) New characters

- Wart (from Doki doki panic/Mario bros 2)

- I won't spoil this one.

3) Semi clones

- Shadow the hegdehog (Sonic)

- Chrom (Ike)

4) Echos

- Ninten (Ness)

5) Character Alts

- Ms. Pacman (Pacman)

- Dr. Luigi (Dr. Mario)

- Alpha, Brittany, Charlie, Louie (Olimar)

- PinkGold Peach (Peach) - I laughed when I saw this one.

6) Costumes that were unquie:

- Funkey Kong outfit for DK.

- Mr. L outfit for Luigi.

7) DLC

Not going to spoil this either.

Modes: I will spoil only one mode.

Retro classic mode: A remake of the orinigal n64 classic mode with HD graphics, only different being the race to the finish challeges being updated.

Note* Only the oringial characters play this mode.

Finale thoughts:
I know this leak will probably get brushed aside or called fake, but I thought I'd do it anyway, once the annoucemnts start happening people will figure it out. I did leave A LOT out so please don't be too upset.

Content wise? This is the biggest smash game yet and I hardly touched on it here. So the hype is still real.
Gotta say, I love how everyone and their mother has some “insider info” on Smash Ult. I think we have a “leak” influx this speculation period. I don’t even think Smash 4’s speculation period was riddled with this many “leaks”.
You're right. I think it's because Gematsu was proven early on, and people just believed those would be the newcomers. Sure, some other leaks popped up, but they also had proof behind them so they could be seen as legitimate. Right now, we have no information, and no real leaks. Maybe Vergeben? But he's spotty at best. Because of this, everyone is making **** up to be seen as legitimate. And who knows, maybe someone actually is.
Honestly I think these 4chan leaks should be called rumours instead, it's the term SmashWiki uses to refer to fake leaks and hoaxes.
I call them "leaks" because that's how they're presented: as actual leaks. I also believe that any "leak" could potentially be true and should be given the benefit of the doubt. I originally presented them straight as leaks, but at the request of some users began using air-quotes to designate that they're likely fake and should be taken with a grain of salt.

No, I will not change how I present them.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think there's a good chance that Dixie might be called an Echo Fighter, and still have unique hair moves. Or Tails fly with his tails, and otherwise mostly play like Sonic. I think Echoes are probably a rebranding of the clone concept. I think that the definition Smashboards has extrapolated and then made OFFICIAL, using just Sakurai's translated statement and Nate and Bill's offhand comments in the Gamexplain video to justify it is too strict. I need more information to go along with the idea that a character can't be an Echo. As to why Dr. Mario isn't an Echo, I also think Bill and Nate may have just been trying to figure out why he doesn't count specifically. Are they involved with Sakurai's actual development plans? I thought they just tested and translated it. Whatever the case may be, my point is that you shouldn't stress yourself out about TAILS CANNOT BE AN ECHO or whatever because 1) we don't know what an Echo means precisely, and 2) the people you're responding to may not agree on your definition.
"Echoes are probably a rebranding of the clone concept"
...if that were the case, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Lucas and Roy would all be labelled echoes. Since they aren't being labelled Echoes, but Lucina, Dark Pit and Daisy are, what constitutes an Echo is pretty clear.

Echo Fighters are Clone Characters so close in concept to the original that if they were anymore the same, they'd just be Alt Costumes.

Until I see an Echo Fighter with a completely different attack, anywhere in their moveset, this is the definition I'm running with.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I have never seen anyone say they expect Arthur to be a playable character.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I love the theory that people talking about "Toby" are actually Nintendo employees trying to discredit every leak and make an actually fake leak (their's) prominent.

MASSIVE LEAK!!

Stages:

All stages will make their return with the exception of ''Miiverse''. New stages will be announced but I won't spoil everything.

- Spring man

- Isac (Golden sun)

- Crash bandicoot

- Rabbids

New characters:

1) reveal trailers

- King K. Rool + Dixie Kong: Announcement: September 15th (Trailer will feature both characters)

2) New characters

3) Semi clones

- Chrom (Ike)

4) Echos

- Ninten (Ness)

5) Character Alts

- Ms. Pacman (Pacman)

- Dr. Luigi (Dr. Mario)

7) DLC

Retro classic mode: A remake of the orinigal n64 classic mode with HD graphics, only different being the race to the finish challeges being updated.

Finale thoughts:
I know this leak will probably get brushed aside or called fake, but I thought I'd do it anyway, once the annoucemnts start happening people will figure it out. I did leave A LOT out so please don't be too upset.

Content wise? This is the biggest smash game yet and I hardly touched on it here. So the hype is still real.
Why not just call them alleged leaks? That would be the most accurate description. Rumor implies it's spread around and not just one source who is likely lying.

For alleged leaks, I pretty much reject out of hand anything with egregious spelling errors. Normally it's Issac. Isac is a new one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

MASSIVE LEAK!!

Stages:

- Spring man

- Isac (Golden sun)

- Crash bandicoot

- Rabbids

New characters:

1) reveal trailers

2) New characters

3) Semi clones

- Chrom (Ike)

4) Echos

- Ninten (Ness)

5) Character Alts

- Ms. Pacman (Pacman)

- Dr. Luigi (Dr. Mario)

7) DLC

Finale thoughts:

How many leaks do we have in count now?

D

Deleted member

If the voice sounded like Mobus as "Rayman!", the leak would of been even more spread like wildfire.
Either way, intense stuff. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why not just call them alleged leaks? That would be the most accurate description. Rumor implies it's spread around and not just one source who is likely lying.

For alleged leaks, I pretty much reject out of hand anything with egregious spelling errors. Normally it's Issac. Isac is a new one.
Sit down.
Be humble.
He can call it what he wants, he's the one collecting them, not you. :p

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If I had to choose 5 3rd party characters as the last ones EVER they would have to be:

1. Simon Belmont

2. Ryu Hayabusa

3. Rayman

4. Lara Croft

5. Banjo-Kazooie

The first two to round out the NES Legacy. 3 and 4 for their icon status. And 5 for my own personal bias.

The thing I love about the 3rd parties we have now is that they all represent not only a franchise but sometimes a company or a genre in general like Ryu and Cloud. And I guess Bayonetta is like Nintendo and Sega’s love-child so that’s cool too. I don’t want another character from Sonic, or Mega Man, or Street Fighter, or Final Fantasy. I want them to really reach out and go crazy with them.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If I had to choose 5 3rd party characters as the last ones EVER they would have to be:

1. Simon Belmont

2. Ryu Hayabusa

3. Rayman

4. Lara Croft

5. Banjo-Kazooie

The first two to round out the NES Legacy. 3 and 4 for their icon status. And 5 for my own personal bias.

The thing I love about the 3rd parties we have now is that they all represent not only a franchise but sometimes a company or a genre in general like Ryu and Cloud. And I guess Bayonetta is like Nintendo and Sega’s love-child so that’s cool too. I don’t want another character from Sonic, or Mega Man, or Street Fighter, or Final Fantasy. I want them to really reach out and go crazy with them.
Replace Rayman for Crash, he's more of an icon (Rayman's only been more consistently relevant).

The Banjo-Kazooie duology were very popular N64 games, I'd say they're icons too.

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
"Echoes are probably a rebranding of the clone concept"
...if that were the case, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Lucas and Roy would all be labelled echoes. Since they aren't being labelled Echoes, but Lucina, Dark Pit and Daisy are, what constitutes an Echo is pretty clear.
I still don't agree that your (or the general consensus's) definition is correct without more evidence. I'm not sure why so many people need to think they KNOW what something DEFINITELY means. Language is ambiguous. Your understanding may be distorted. And with echo chambers like here, extrapolations and conjecture can become orthodoxy pretty quickly.

You could be entirely correct of course, though, so don't think I am rejecting your ideas. I am just agnostic on this whole thing, and find getting angry about it to be pointless.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don’t want another character from Sonic, or Mega Man, or Street Fighter, or Final Fantasy. I want them to really reach out and go crazy with them.
Exactly this.
You have an entire ocean of characters to choose from...
and you want another fish from the same pond?
Come on.

(As for me, I'd say something similar except replace Lara with any Atlus/SMT representation. They're technically owned by Sega and they've been a huge part of Nintendo history since 1987, at least far more than Bayonetta)

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

1. Simon Belmont

2. Ryu Hayabusa

3. Rayman

4. Lara Croft

5. Banjo-Kazooie

Honestly, I feel like the only other character who should be added on that list is Heihachi.
Even then, that top 5 is quite the lineup. Given how diverse the third party choices are this time around, it would be a little disappointing if Sakurai only chose to expand on certain franchises. Get that third party lineup to be as diverse and varied as possible.
Although Eggman would actually be sick to see.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I think we'll have around 250 by the end of July. Probably more.
At this point, I think 4chan knows you're cataloging these things, and now they're just makin' leaks faster than a rabbit can reproduce just so that they can get their fake **** in the "leak hall of fame".

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Sit down.
Be humble.
He can call it what he wants, he's the one collecting them, not you. :p
I was making a suggestion, since people bring up the "don't call it a leak!" idea all the time. I think the quotation marks are fine, but apparently not everyone does. I wonder if it's because quotation marks are often used (erroneously, in my view) as a means of emphasis rather than incredulity...

Also, I do appreciate DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon 's efforts. I can barely look at 4chan without my brain wanting to shut off. A public servant extraordinaire, this one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom