• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Updated my roster a bit from yesterday. I myself think it might be too big now, but eh.

View attachment 151859

From yesterday, I updated my roster with a new K.Rool icon as well as a new Dillon icon. I also added 2 more Newcomer icons for speculative pleasure!

Who are your five that you would add to this roster?
  • Elma
  • Bandana Dee
  • Heihachi/Kyo/Terry*
  • Linkle
  • Hades

* I can't bring my self to pick one of the three D:

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd love if DLC took the form of packs. Each character comes with a stage, assist trophy and an item kind of idea.

EX.
• Dixie
• Tropical Freeze Stage
• Cranky Assist
• Banana Item

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd love if DLC took the form of packs. Each character comes with a stage, assist trophy and an item kind of idea.

EX.
• Dixie
• Tropical Freeze Stage
• Cranky Assist
• Banana Item
Why not include a set of music tracks in said packs too? I’m sure there’s a lot of people who’d love to see more tracks added (myself included) as a sort of quality-of-life thing.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Why not include a set of music tracks in said packs too? I’m sure there’s a lot of people who’d love to see more tracks added (myself included) as a sort of quality-of-life thing.
Oh for sure! I just took it for granted that the new stages would come with new music.

Another perk of having so many returning stages: LOTS of music to go around!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
As someone who isn't much of an Earthbound fan, I'd enjoy Ninten being an Echo of Ness. All three games would have their main characters then, and it would be nice and succinct. Does Ninten have anything drastically different from the other two characters?
In terms of design, not really. He has a scarf that he wears in the commercials, but other than that he's basically the same as Ness.

In terms of his abilities in-game, he can't use any kind of offensive PSI attacks, only 'Assist', 'Recovery' and 'Other' PSI.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Alright, since I am not a fan of those Shadow discussion, here is something new:

What sort of event match you want to see in Ultimate?
Yoshi vs. Giant Bowser Jr. and then Giant Bowser. The closest we'd get to a recreation of a typical Yoshi's Island final boss fight.
Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
Why is :ultyoshi:and :ultfalcon:not in that? That's pretty rude...

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The 3DS screen's resolution is 320x240, while the Switch's screen resolution is 1280x720 and modern tvs/monitors are going to match or exceed that while being obviously far larger. Using the 3DS' little screen as a point of comparison for CSS stuff is invalid, and they could have just shrunk the character icons farther to fit the DLC on the same screen for 3DS, but instead took advantage of the 1 person per console thing to make a second page for DLC.
I'm not using the 3DS' resolution as an example. I'm using Smash 3DS's CSS for what you CAN'T DO, which is off-load some characters onto another screen because you have multiple people playing on the same system, which you don't on 3DS; resolution doesn't matter; Switch could be 4K and you'd still have the same issue.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I'm not using the 3DS' resolution as an example. I'm using Smash 3DS's CSS for what you CAN'T DO, which is off-load some characters onto another screen because you have multiple people playing on the same system, which you don't on 3DS; resolution doesn't matter; Switch could be 4K and you'd still have the same issue.
3DS ended up doing it because of the 240p resolution restricted to a small screen, while they could afford to put DLC on a separate page for better organization because of 1 player per console. Smash on Switch can have a ridiculous roster size it won't come close to reaching before CSS cramping becomes a legitimate concern.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

EX.
• Dixie
• Tropical Freeze Stage
• Cranky Assist
• Banana Item
I like this idea! Here's some I made.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Pack

Fighter: Grovyle
Stage: Temporal Tower
Assist Trophy: Dusknoir and Saybleye
Item: Emera orbs

Kirby Super Star Pack

Fighter: Marx
Stage: The Arena
Assist Trophy: Dyna Blade
Item: I dont know

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

EX.
• Dixie
• Tropical Freeze Stage
• Cranky Assist
• Banana Item
I'd like to take a shot at this

Kingdom Hearts Pack
- Sora
- Traverse Town
- Riku Assist
- Goofy's Shield Item

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Trainer is back on my mind and I have a nitpick about Charizard. It severely bothers me that Charizard is hunched over like he is. I'd much prefer his appearance take more notes from the images here:
BIIB.gif
b2a.gif
Charizard_medium.png
Not only that, I really don't like how it looks as if he struggles to walk in Smash and the wide steps he takes for his slow walk (commonly called by some smash fans: "The Zard Walk") is just kinda off putting. Something I've also disliked about Charizard animation wise is his Supine animation, Bowser has a similar animation because his shell would clip awkwardly, however, Charizard doesn't have a giant shell on his back.
Another minor nitpick but it has more so to do with promotional stuff concerning Smash, on the Smash Bros. DOJO there were more details and information about the character you selected on their page along with some cheesy wit to go along with it, I really miss that. The most detail ever added on a character page in recent time is Ryu (and only on the Smash 3DS/Wii U site, which also bothers me), which shows his Inputs from his game of origin. Links to other sites for advertisement purposes are pretty much the only thing accompanying the screenshots and renders.

Rant over, but I'd like to know are there any nitpicks you guys have about Smash Ult. (so far)? Like anything, even if its promotional materials, etc.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Pokemon Trainer is back on my mind and I have a nitpick about Charizard. It severely bothers me that Charizard is hunched over like he is. I'd much prefer his appearance take more notes from the images here:
Not only that, I really don't like how it looks as if he struggles to walk in Smash and the wide steps he takes for his slow walk (commonly called by some smash fans: "The Zard Walk") is just kinda off putting. Something I've also disliked about Charizard animation wise is his Supine animation, Bowser has a similar animation because his shell would clip awkwardly, however, Charizard doesn't have a giant shell on his back.
Another minor nitpick but it has more so to do with promotional stuff concerning Smash, on the Smash Bros. DOJO there were more details and information about the character you selected on their page along with some cheesy wit to go along with it, I really miss that. The most detail ever added on a character page in recent time is Ryu (and only on the Smash 3DS/Wii U site, which also bothers me), which shows his Inputs from his game of origin. Links to other sites for advertisement purposes are pretty much the only thing accompanying the screenshots and renders.

Rant over, but I'd like to know are there any nitpicks you guys have about Smash Ult. (so far)? Like anything, even if its promotional materials, etc.
I guess Charizard is next on the Yoshi and Bowser treatment...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh boy

Remember I mentioned ko Takeuchi retweeted a support Ashley for smash bros post?

He's the maker of the warioware series for those wondering

Well it's gone now....

Oh boy you know what happens when stuff gets deleted right (well not every time anyway)

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225

EX.
• Dixie
• Tropical Freeze Stage
• Cranky Assist
• Banana Item
Chew on this DLC pack!
• Let's say...Decidueye. I'd personally like Misty (With three of her own Pokémon on the battlefield), but let's keep things real here.
• Mount Lanakila League.
• Zeraora in Poké Balls.
• Focus Sash item, which may cut fatal knockback off of you once if you wear it. (Get it? Because it lets the holder survive a single OHKO?)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I hit upon an idea last night. What if Adventure Mode comes back, but the Adventure Mode stages are simply segments of bigger Smash Run areas?

That way you kill two birds with one stone.

Here's a list of ideas I had....
Smash Run Stage: Mushroom Kingdom
Segments: Mushroom Kingdom, Peach's Castle, Underground, Yoshi's Island and Bowser's Castle​
Smash Run Stage: Hyrule
Segments: Hyrule Field, Lost Woods, Lake Hylia, Hyrule Castle, Temple (of Time) and Ganon's Tower​
Smash Run Stage: DK Island
Segments: Kongo Jungle, Monkey Mines, Gorilla Glacier, Gankplank Galleon​
Smash Run Stage: Dream Land
Segments: Green Greens, Castle Lololo, Bubbly Clouds, Mt. Dedede​
Smash Run Stage: Space
Segments: Comet Observatory, Planetoids, Corneria, Brinstar, Garden of Hope​
Smash Run Stage: Kanto
Segments: Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon, Saffron City, Seafoam Islands,Indigo Plateau​
Smash Run Stage: Town and City
Segments: City Scape, Beach Side, Construction Site, Countryside, Haunted Mansion​
Smash Run Stage: Ancient World
Segments: Fortress, Dungeon, War Zone, Lighthouse, Sky World​
Smash Run Stage: Guest World
Segments: Green Hill, Shadow Moses, Wily Castle, Pac-Maze, Tournament Arena, Reactor, Cathedral​
Phew, so many... Probably too many... XD

Last edited:

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice

Charizard kinda of missed out because he was brought back in Smash 4 using pretty much his Brawl model

Squirtle and Ivysaur, being cut, didn't have a chance to have their Brawl models ported, and so they got the benefit of being remade from scratch using their XY designs.

Charizard being in Smash 4 hurt his chances of getting a proper "redo" because it's easier to just port him up from Smash 4 and tweak him.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I don't think considering the CSS is a good way of figuring out how many characters there are. After all, couldn't the slots just be resized in a patch?
Smashboards still believe in the fallacy of "slots," what did you expect?

[QUOTE="Zinith, post: 22188276, member: 398307]
Why is :ultyoshi:and :ultfalcon:not in that? That's pretty rude...[/QUOTE]
For all I care Yoshi is a Mario character, and F-Zero is perfectly represented with Captain Falcon.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I want to revive a little topic from a few days ago... what artist would you want your most wanted to be drawn by?

For
it'd be Yoshio Sawei (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)
Hmm...
Isaac: Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) or Kōhei Horikoshi (My Hero Academia)
Tifa Lockhart: Tite Kubo...

SonicMario

Smash Master

EX.
• Dixie
• Tropical Freeze Stage
• Cranky Assist
• Banana Item
I've mused of the idea of character packs that includes one unique or at least semi-clone character with a free echo-fighter from the same series. I'm sure plenty of Sonic fans would be happy with a Tails (Semi-Clone) + Shadow (Echo) for example. Or for much more realistic 1st party ones, a Three Houses FE rep with an echo fighter Chrom.

You could still choose to get one individually if you want to with the Echo fighters staying free (Or at least only half the price of regular fighters) but it could be neat. Don't think it will happen but two fighters for the price of 1 for Smash 4's character prices might be a sweet deal, even if one's an Echo fighter.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Oh boy

Remember I mentioned ko Takeuchi retweeted a support Ashley for smash bros post?

He's the maker of the warioware series for those wondering

Well it's gone now....

Oh boy you know what happens when stuff gets deleted right (well not every time anyway)
Yeah I remember what happens 99% of the time.... nothing!

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I remember what happens 99% of the time.... nothing!
To be fair, we have a pretty good track record of things happening when posts get deleted. I wouldn't put too much stock in it but it's still a good sign for Ashley fans.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I just finished playing Octo Expansion, and hOLY ****

I wish it came out earlier because the final level would make for the coolest stage in Smash history. Maybe DLC?

Also I never thought the darkest villain in Nintendo history would be from Splatoon of all things, jeez...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I want to revive a little topic from a few days ago... what artist would you want your most wanted to be drawn by?

For
For Dark Matter I'd want... Sakurai himself!

No really, I'm not kidding, he can actually draw.
The art probably wouldn't be as bombastic or colorful as some other artists and would probably be more "simple", but that isn't a bad thing and would be awfully fitting for Dark Matter, and it'd just also be cool to see the man himself draw for us. If I can't have him then I'd take Kumazaki, the modern director of the Kirby games, he can also draw.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Charizard kinda of missed out because he was brought back in Smash 4 using pretty much his Brawl model

Squirtle and Ivysaur, being cut, didn't have a chance to have their Brawl models ported, and so they got the benefit of being remade from scratch using their XY designs.

Charizard being in Smash 4 hurt his chances of getting a proper "redo" because it's easier to just port him up from Smash 4 and tweak him.
Yeah, it really bothers me the other two Pokémon look more on model, while Charizard just looks like leftover dregs from Brawl, but only touched up. It’s unfortunate and will probably always bother me when the I see the trio in game.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

For
Ken Sugimori (Pokemon Artist) Drawing King Dedede, Kirby, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee.
It's several characters, yeah, but i can't help it.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I just finished playing Octo Expansion, and hOLY ****

I wish it came out earlier because the final level would make for the coolest stage in Smash history. Maybe DLC?

Also I never thought the darkest villain in Nintendo history would be from Splatoon of all things, jeez...
Haven't played Octo expansion, really only played the story mode of Splatoon 1 and 2. (I lost my Splatoon 2 for another game, and now i wish i had it back for online play and octo expansion xD.) But i tuned in for a stream at the end of Octo expansion. The joke that goes somethin' like: "We thought they where long gone...HUMAN!" Gave me a chuckle.
Kinda dark for splatoon tho tbh.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Honestly, I've always wanted to play against some Smashboards users, but actually no one posts in the ID Sharing thread, anyway. While I'm at it...

Zero > Telephone

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i think the puzzle leaks are just a admission that people know it's a bit of fun more than any serious reveal. Anyone can say who they want in, it's something else to say who WILL be in without a shadow of doubt.

Anyway, here's who I want in over anything else

1. Magolor
2. Rayman
3. Klonoa
4. Marshall
5. Geno

Honourable mention to Jack Frost and Misango

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Yoshi vs. Giant Bowser Jr. and then Giant Bowser. The closest we'd get to a recreation of a typical Yoshi's Island final boss fight.

Why is :ultyoshi:and :ultfalcon:not in that? That's pretty rude...
You know, you're starting to become obnoxious with the whole Yoshi-gimmick you got going on. I love Yoshi as much as the next guy, but you're taking it far too seriously in your head

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I bet there is going to be one "leaker" who by chance guesses the next character reveal correctly, and then we're going to have many discussions here on whether or not they're legit.
If we don't then, when would we? Might as well not bother posting them if no matter what happens, we say they are fake.

If a character gets revealed that a leak said would be revealed then ****ing of course I'm gonna take a second look at it.

Unless its a really bad one that is....

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The leak that said k.rool would be revealed July 9 it's getting closer and closer to be deconfirmed.

I don't think they would simply post the newcomer on the site, a direct/pre-announcement would be need.
If a direct be announced next days,it will be pure hype tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom