• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Probably more like Dark Pit. They don't have an uniform fighting tool like Lucina that effects all of their hitboxes.
She may even be a little bit of both. I swear I saw her falling a little faster than Peach after using her parasol in her character trailer. She might be Melee Ganondorf to Melee Falcon, or Melee Doc to Melee Mario.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hey, so it seems like you can cancel your taunts early in this game. You know what that means, right?

You can cancel your taunt...into a different taunt.

The taunt combo meta is almost upon us. Ness's "okey>okey>bat salute" combo is the future of salt.
I'm gonna develop Yoshi's taunt meta to top-tier!!!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Probably more like Dark Pit. They don't have an uniform fighting tool like Lucina that effects all of their hitboxes.
That's probably unfortunately true. I'm thinking that the difference may lie in the heart/flower attacks. Side B, Up Tilt, Up Smash, and Final Smash. But who knows, maybe she'll be a little more different than that.

Even so, at least Daisy has a unique idle animation. It's a start.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I really don’t think FE should get ANOTHER clone-type character, but a Chrom echo would be a nice gesture towards the fans and fit with the “Everyone is here!” vibe nicely.

The only echo I’d actively be OK with is Dark Samus. Obviously a unique moveset would be 10x better, but considering the window of relevance has passed, a low-effort clone would be most welcome.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm arguing that the potential is there, and not nonexistent. That's all.

Smooth Criminal
Then you should have been more specific.
Hey, so it seems like you can cancel your taunts early in this game. You know what that means, right?

You can cancel your taunt...into a different taunt.

The taunt combo meta is almost upon us. Ness's "okey>okey>bat salute" combo is the future of salt.
I still like "Hands off my-piece of cake!"

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
I kinda wish Daisy had gotten Melee Peach's Up Tilt and Up Air, it'd help be more in line with her tomboyish nature in the Mario spinoffs.

I hope she at least has a triple jump instead of her float to make her like Super Mario Run. It'd be a better change than almost nothing.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
So regarding Rex/Pyra I'm curious. How would you feel if only one of them made it in (not the most preferable option, but definitely possible)?

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
So regarding Rex/Pyra I'm curious. How would you feel if only one of them made it in (not the most preferable option, but definitely possible)?
If only one of them made it in, then neither of them would be fully accurate to who they are. The cooperation between Rex and Pyra is so important in Xenoblade 2 that removing one of them would be a disservice to both characters, regardless of which one got the cut. I'd rather neither got in if that were the case.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Then you should have been more specific.

I still like "Hands off my-piece of cake!"
If they reuse the Smash 4 voice clips, then it'd be "Get some - piece of cake!"
Falco is a cake salesman.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If they reuse the Smash 4 voice clips, then it'd be "Get some - piece of cake!"
Falco is a cake salesman.
"Come On! Show me your Moves!"

"SONIC - Tut tut..."
Sonic disagrees with the current trajectory of his franchise.

Pichu and Pikachu will probably become the ultimate breakdancers.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It'd be neat if Dark Pit had slightly different stats and a few unique weapons, while still keeping the overall same gameplay style. Just a few model edits. But I can see why it didn't happen. Beyond the model edits he already has, any more would require him to be far more de-cloned. Sakurai can only do so much if he's intending to keep him an echo.

Mind you, I like that everyone has kept their overall gameplay style from day one. I'm fine with that. It makes it easy to adapt to character updates. I just want Lucina and Dark Pit to have a tad bit more overall.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Rex alone; a kid in a dumb outfit with a sword and grappling hook. Pyra alone; a girl in a dumb outfit with a sword and fire (and another personality)
Together? Fashion disaster couple who are always finishing each other's combos. If you're not going to make them their own fighter together you might as well make them a Mii costume or something.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I kinda wish Daisy had gotten Melee Peach's Up Tilt and Up Air, it'd help be more in line with her tomboyish nature in the Mario spinoffs.

I hope she at least has a triple jump instead of her float to make her like Super Mario Run. It'd be a better change than almost nothing.
Dude she's an Echo, the only thing that makes her different from Peach are small properties like knockback and damage, other than that she shares every single move with her.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Rex alone; a kid in a dumb outfit with a sword and grappling hook. Pyra alone; a girl in a dumb outfit with a sword and fire (and another personality)
Together? Fashion disaster couple who are always finishing each other's combos. If you're not going to make them their own fighter together you might as well make them a Mii costume or something.
Therefore I decide they should use a character who's not a fashion disaster and isn't a written by a fan of the Emoji Movie, The TRUE XC2 rep we need is Turters

KMDP

Smash Legend
Maybe Rex and Pyra could inherit the tag team mechanic Diddy and Dixie would have had in Brawl had Sakurai kept that idea. Both are on the field, but only one is interactable at a time (sort of like the Ice Climbers, but with elements of Pokémon Trainer).

Dunno how... good that is for XB2 Canon Purposes, though.

Last edited:

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
Dude she's an Echo, the only thing that makes her different from Peach are small properties like knockback and damage, other than that she shares every single move with her.
I'm fully aware of that, I'm just saying what I hope will happen. We haven't seen her float yet to my knowledge in any gameplay, so it's not necessarily out of the realm of possibility yet.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Therefore I decide they should use a character who's not a fashion disaster and isn't a written by a fan of the Emoji Movie, The TRUE XC2 rep we need is Turters
See the issue with that is Turters would just be too OP. If you thought Brawl Meta Knight was bad, this would be so much more busted

Realistically, there's no way it'd have a separate hitbox. That's an actual gameplay difference. They don't do that for costumes. Because any gameplay differences require another slot, which in this case, isn't worth doing. It'll most likely be a phantom hitbox.

Also, that's a fun leak. Leaker did a pretty decent job at it. Reasonable photoshop.
It was Microsoft Paint actually, i dont know how to use anything else, a friend linked me here.....i made that image to promote and campaign k rool and dixie and how they might look ingame, someone stole the image, made it blurry and spread lies around even though i specifically asked for this image to not be a leaked image.

im sorry all for that.....the k rool model has been linked above, its not the sjwcyberwolf one but its similiar k rools portrait is custom made, dixie kongs portrait and model were ripped straight from tropical freeze on switch, the image of kongo jungle i took from the smash ultimate e3 direct, ridley is also ripped from ultimate, the barrel item was also taken from e3 gameplay, sorry for the leakers spreading this image around.

here is og image
Img Cap 23476.png

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Agh, I hate the character designs of XC2 so much. It was such a gorgeous game with amazing music, but staring at Rex's assless pants and diving hoodie all day really put me off.

One day I'll finish that game amd hopefully get used to it by then.

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
Maybe Rex and Pyra could inherit the tag team mechanic Diddy and Dixie would have had in Brawl had Sakurai kept that idea. Both are on the field, but only one is interactable at a time (sort of like the Ice Climbers, but with elements of Pokémon Trainer).

Dunno how... good that is for XB2 Canon Purposes, though.
That's actually how the Torna DLC seems to play from the footage we've seen, so that doesn't seem like it'd be betraying the canon. It's unlikely that they'd be represented in that way, but it wouldn't be an impossibility within Xenoblade 2 canon.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Agh, I hate the character designs of XC2 so much. It was such a gorgeous game with amazing music, but staring at Rex's assless pants and diving hoodie all day really put me off.

I'll let you on a little secret. Not a big spoiler, just enough that may help you get used to Rex:

His outfit changes

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm fully aware of that, I'm just saying what I hope will happen. We haven't seen her float yet to my knowledge in any gameplay, so it's not necessarily out of the realm of possibility yet.
There's been pictures of her floating.

But that said, echoes have to have the same attack animations. They can barely vary at all. They however can have their own idle animations, and apparently run animations. Plus taunts and final smash can be different. So she can't use a completely different up air. The properties can be slightly modified to be more similar to Peach's Melee up air, though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Rex to me looks like a failed Steampunk Sora

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
I don't think any Xenoblade 2 character makes it in. I mean I would be happy if they made it but I'm not optimistic. At this point I lay all my hope on Elma. She would be way more badass and have an epic skell Ultrasmash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'll let you on a little secret. Not a big spoiler, just enough that may help you get used to Rex:

His outfit changes
That's a Xenoblade gimmick, your default clothing only lasts for like 20 minutes in-game before you pick something up and then you never see it again.

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
There's been pictures of her floating.

But that said, echoes have to have the same attack animations. They can barely vary at all. They however can have their own idle animations, and apparently run animations. Plus taunts and final smash can be different. So she can't use a completely different up air. The properties can be slightly modified to be more similar to Peach's Melee up air, though.
Well, heck. It's a shame that the definition of echo fighter is so narrow. Doesn't allow for even a single complete move overhaul. I wish it was at least loose enough to include characters like Young Link and Pichu.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, heck. It's a shame that the definition of echo fighter is so narrow. Doesn't allow for even a single complete move overhaul. I wish it was at least loose enough to include characters like Young Link and Pichu.
How would Young Link fit? He and Link have separated way too much. Not even Toon Link could be considered his original/copy (considering YL was first it'd make TL the Echo) because of his F-Smash difference. Pichu is a different story, there's probably notable changes we haven't seen yet that makes it a semi or something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Echoes didn't even exist till Smash 4, so it makes sense. All the other clones have much more varied changes. Pichu, if it actually was a near identical model to Pikachu, instead of having some bigger variation of design, could've worked as one. But it also would've had even less changes in Melee, as it has many power differences and its size is definitely smaller than Pikachu. Though I think their weight is nearly the same?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we get Elma, and the DLC development doesn't kick off in earnest til very late in the year/2019, and Monolith has a new Xenoblade in the pipeline, I kinda wonder if we'll get Rex & Pyra at all.

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
How would Young Link fit? He and Link have separated way too much. Not even Toon Link could be considered his original/copy (considering YL was first it'd make TL the Echo) because of his F-Smash difference. Pichu is a different story, there's probably notable changes we haven't seen yet that makes it a semi or something.
My thought process was that most of Young Link's differences from Link, even now with Link's moveset changes, is mostly his bombs and his speed. I suppose it makes sense why he wasn't, but Pichu at least should have. It'd at least widen the definition of echo fighter to more than "It has to be able to function as an alternate skin, so no hitbox variants or completely different moves are allowed ever."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My thought process was that most of Young Link's differences from Link, even now with Link's moveset changes, is mostly his bombs and his speed. I suppose it makes sense why he wasn't, but Pichu at least should have. It'd at least widen the definition of echo fighter to more than "It has to be able to function as an alternate skin, so no hitbox variants or completely different moves are allowed ever."
It's a little more than that.
1. Bombs
2. Arrow properties
3. Grabs
1. Bombs
2. Arrow properties
3. Boomerang properties
4. Grabs
5. F-Smash
6. U-Smash
7. N-Air
8. D-Air
9. F-Air
10. B-Air
11. Recovery hitbox on the ground (Link hits once, Toon Link hits multiple)
1. Arrow properties
2. F-Smash
3. U-Smash
4. D-Air
5. N-Air
6. F-Air
7. B-Air
8(?). We don't know if their recovery hitbox on the ground are the same or like Link/TL.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not too fond of the whole idea of Echo Fighters if my understanding of them is correct. Hopefully they won't go overboard with them.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
H
I'm thinking Pichu might retain Pikachu's original neutral air, since Pikachu has a new one. Pichu also already has a multihit f-smash in place of PIkachu's single hit, and a completely different Up-Smash. As far as I know, it is unknown if Pichu's down air spikes like Pikachu's does now, so that's another potential difference.

I'd also argue that TL's moveset is farther away from Link's than YL's. Even in his initial appearance in Brawl, TL already had several significant differences, whereas YL in Melee had minimal differences to Link.

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
I was fine with clones as long as they brought something new to the table but with echo fighters they limited themselfs so much. If they can't even have one new move why bother at all?
So yeah I hate the idea of echoes too and hope we won't see more than another one or two.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If we get Elma, and the DLC development doesn't kick off in earnest til very late in the year/2019, and Monolith has a new Xenoblade in the pipeline, I kinda wonder if we'll get Rex & Pyra at all.
it's probably gonna be either or and I'm perfectly okay with that

I feel like people linger onto relevancy too much and forget history, among other elements

(History is one of the biggest reasons I'm holding onto hope for Isaac)

DittoMaster6

Smash Cadet
I was fine with clones as long as they brought something new to the table but with echo fighters they limited themselfs so much. If they can't even have one new move why bother at all?
So yeah I hate the idea of echoes too and hope we won't see more than another one or two.
It's not even the prospect of them not having a single new move that I dislike, it's that they don't seem to have many new properties to make up for it. Most of the existing clones in the series have at least had a different playstyle than their originals to an extent, so you can't do the exact same thing with them as you would the originals. With echo fighters, until we receive more comprehensive differences that Daisy has, it seems like they're content to just add Dark Pit level differences and call it a day, which is somewhat disappointing.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
That's a Xenoblade gimmick, your default clothing only lasts for like 20 minutes in-game before you pick something up and then you never see it again.
Nah. In Xenoblade 2, there's no armor, so nobody's outfit ever changes. Rex is the sole exception, because his outfit changes for story reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom