• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Thank you. :shyguy:

I actually only played Fates anyway, so I probably don't count as a bonafide "fan." Tried to play one with Marth but it bored me. Nothing against the game, I just have issues with handling games with lower graphic settings than I'm used to. I can't even play Fire Red anymore. Sad life.
Was it Shadow Dragon? Because that one was... well... bad... graphically (it's 3D models were ugly as sin, IIRC)
The GBA Fire Emblem games had frankly beautiful sprite work for the time (it's not like, Modern Indie 8-bit level :laugh:). And Awakening was about the same graphically as Fates (except nobody had feet on their models because... something about model limitations they thought they had?)

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It's weird that Krystal is still not in the website.

She was announced on Facebook and the Nintendo Versus Twitter account, but not the official Smash Twitter.

Maybe it was a mistake or something.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Was it Shadow Dragon? Because that one was... well... bad... graphically (it's 3D models were ugly as sin, IIRC)
The GBA Fire Emblem games had frankly beautiful sprite work for the time (it's not like, Modern Indie 8-bit level :laugh:). And Awakening was about the same graphically as Fates (except nobody had feet on their models because... something about model limitations they though they had?)
Yeah, I thought about hopping unto Awakening. I probably should give it a shot but I'm not exactly in a rush. I'll probably settle for Three Houses once it comes out.

And yeah! Pretty sure it was Shadow Dragon. I'm sure the games were solid looking at the time but it doesn't stop me from being used to the newer stuff.

To be honest, even Fates' 3D models bothered me but the animations were ok so I dealt with it.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
So there's been plenty of talk about a potential Microsoft character between Banjo, Master Chief, and Steve (ugh).

But who would you want if we were to somehow get a Sony character? Is there anyone that'd even be worth adding on Sony's end? Considering we already have Snake and Cloud, and have a non-ignorable shot of getting Crash/Spyro as DLC, I think those four by far outstrip any actual Sony characters to me.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Real talk, FE characters are just too much by this point. Smash has given it a bad rep, making it seem it is only about "blue haired swordfighters."

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Real talk, FE characters are just too much by this point. Smash has given it a bad rep, making it seem it is only about "blue haired swordfighters."
I mean the best way to cure that is by giving them non-blue haired sword fighters as opposed to not giving any characters at all.

I would agree that FE has enough but I care about character designs and potential movesets more than "muh reps" and Celica checks both selling points so....I'm all for her.

So there's been plenty of talk about a potential Microsoft character between Banjo, Master Chief, and Steve (ugh).

But who would you want if we were to somehow get a Sony character? Is there anyone that'd even be worth adding on Sony's end? Considering we already have Snake and Cloud, and have a non-ignorable shot of getting Crash/Spyro as DLC, I think those four by far outstrip any actual Sony characters to me.
Is Tekken considered Sony? Heihachi would be sick.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
The gaming community in general is mostly a sausage fest though.
Probably something to do with the old marketing strategies from the late 80s/early 90s, when the NES was marketed as a toy by Nintendo (when there was a very clear dilineation between Toys for Boys and Toys for Girls), which caused ripple effects which still influence the gaming market today.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I will forever maintain that Shadow Dragon is an underrated gem (and has a lot of my favorite characters from the franchise in general).

...Which also makes it suck that literally only Marth is referenced at all in Smash beyond a name drop, when it comes to Archanea characters. I'm hoping that Caeda, Minerva, Tiki, and Linde get trophies at the very least since they could just pull their models from Warriors. And a Merric Assist. Please.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

Honestly, we already have Snake and Cloud, which are still two of the biggest icons Playstation has had.
Add in Crash and Heihachi and you can have a 4 player PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I mean the best way to cure that is by giving them non-blue haired sword fighters as opposed to not giving any characters at all.

I would agree that FE has enough but I care about character designs and potential movesets more than "muh reps" and Celica checks both selling points so....I'm all for her.

Is Tekken considered Sony? Heihachi would be sick.
If Celica were purely magical maybe, but she has a sword.

I will forever maintain that Shadow Dragon is an underrated gem (and has a lot of my favorite characters from the franchise in general).

...Which also makes it suck that literally only Marth is referenced at all in Smash beyond a name drop, when it comes to Archanea characters. I'm hoping that Caeda, Minerva, Tiki, and Linde get trophies at the very least since they could just pull their models from Warriors. And a Merric Assist. Please.
SD is a much better game than FE1, FE2, FE4, PoR, RD, FE7, BR, Rev, and SoV. By process of elimination it is among the best.

D

Deleted member

Yes! I was super disappointed when FE Warriors came and went and the only Shadow Dragon characters we got were Marth, Caeda, Tiki, Linde, Minerva, and Navarre. I need at least Cain, Merric, and Draug in there as well before I'm satisfied with the representation. The lack of Cain and Draug is especially jarring because they managed to create a game without a playable lance paladin or armor knight.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Besides the graphics (which I can put up with), the one thing I didn't like about Shadow Dragon was that you had to play badly to get the Side Chapters, like, who's bright idea was that? (I hate letting my characters get killed, I still play the recent games the way I always have, with Perma-death on and resetting when a character gets killed (so it's as if every character is as imporfant as the Lord)).

I know, I'm a soft-touch. :laugh:

Otherwise, I liked Shadow Dragon.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Yes! I was super disappointed when FE Warriors came and went and the only Shadow Dragon characters we got were Marth, Caeda, Tiki, Linde, Minerva, and Navarre. I need at least Cain, Merric, and Draug in there as well before I'm satisfied with the representation. The lack of Cain and Draug is especially jarring because they managed to create a game without a playable lance paladin or armor knight.
Jagen/Wendell > Cain and Abel.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So since the American Smash Ultimate site hasn't update and probably won't until tomorrow because the 4th, I Google translated the Japanese site and boy was I not dissapointed.

Screenshot_20180704-215558.png

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Besides the graphics (which I can put up with), the one thing I didn't like about Shadow Dragon was that you had to play badly to get the Side Chapters, like, who's bright idea was that? (I hate letting my characters get killed, I still play the recent games the way I always have, with Perma-death on and resetting when a character gets killed (so it's as if every character is as imporfant as the Lord)).

Oh yeaaah, it was the perma death that killed the game for me. Yeah nah I just couldn't handle that....:grin:

I really suck at those games so I quickly found characters I liked and they would immediately bite the dust in the next chapter. I kept resetting, cause I'm a dirty save-scummer, but they would always die....eventually I gave up.

I tried perma death in a few Fates runs and it just pissed me off, too.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well I just remembered something

There was something about a Luigi mansion for 3ds coming and a release date will be revealed in july

I smell a mini direct coming soon
Mini Direct?

There's a "leak" for that.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421117367/#421117367
on July 12th, a Direct Mini will happen focusing on Nintendo 3DS games coming later this year and early 2019.

> Luigi's Mansion will release in sept 14th
> Yo-Kai Watch Busters coming in Sept 28th
> Wario Land (VB remake) coming in Oct 19th, developed by SKIP
> New wave of Nintendo Selects in October (FE Awakening, Smash 3DS and Mario Tennis)
> Yo-Kai Watch 3 Sushi/Tempura coming in Nov 9th
> Zelda Link's Awakening remake coming in Nov 16th, Only for 3DS (no Switch), Special N2DS Shield edition (Europe and Japan), New amiibo
> New Pokémon Mystery Dungeon coming, Late 2018 in Japan, Early 2019 overseas
> Paper Mario Color Splash coming to 3DS and Switch in Spring 2019
> Mario & Luigi Bowser Inside Story coming in January 2019 (feb in some regions)
> Detective Pikachu 2 in the works, 2019

> N64 mini announcement in a few weeks
> Nindies Direct in August
> NSMBU Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles X and the Wonderful 101 Switch ports will be announce this year.

Honestly the most boring leak that I've seen. Which means it's probably true, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Celica were purely magical maybe, but she has a sword.

SD is a much better game than FE1, FE2, FE4, PoR, RD, FE7, BR, Rev, and SoV. By process of elimination it is among the best.
My one major gripe with it is the lack of supports, so a decent portion of the cast isn't really fleshed out. But the ones that are are great. It also has some of my favorite maps in the series, which is a definite plus. The writing itself is also fantastic. It's hard to say where it places on my ranking specifically, but I'd definitely put it in my personal top three at least.

I think the death gaidens were just IS's way of adding a comeback mechanic for more casual players more so than locking away content, especially considering the units you get from them aren't great for the most part. I think the reception of them made them bite the bullet and just add a true casual mode from New Mystery onwards. :p

Abel's better anyway
Now that I disagree with. Gameplay/unit wise maybe, but as a character Cain is much better. :p

Mini Direct?

on July 12th, a Direct Mini will happen focusing on Nintendo 3DS games coming later this year and early 2019.

> New wave of Nintendo Selects in October (FE Awakening, Smash 3DS and Mario Tennis)
> Zelda Link's Awakening remake coming in Nov 16th, Only for 3DS (no Switch), Special N2DS Shield edition (Europe and Japan), New amiibo
> Mario & Luigi Bowser Inside Story coming in January 2019 (feb in some regions)

> NSMBU Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles X and the Wonderful 101 Switch ports will be announce this year.
Link's Awakening remake has been rumored forever and I'd love if it happened.
At least we'll know if this one is true relatively soon.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Useless Smash trivia: The latest blog mentioned how it's been 17 years since Young Link's last appearance in Smash which is coincidentally his age as an adult in OoT.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Useless Smash trivia: The latest blog mentioned how it's been 17 years since Young Link's last appearance in Smash which is coincidentally his age as an adult on OoT.
He's 16 actually.

9 as a child, 7 year time skip, then he's 16 as an "adult".

EDIT: Actually seems to be a discrepency. Some Nintendo sources say he's 16 in OoT, other's say he's 17.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

As impossible as it is, having Spike (Ape Escape), Jak, and Ratchet & Clank would be a dream.

Also, Sly Cooper, if only to wash the bad taste left by Thieves in Time's staff and PSASBR. Dude deserves better.

Honestly, we already have Snake and Cloud, which are still two of the biggest icons Playstation has had.
Add in Crash and Heihachi and you can have a 4 player PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.
One better than the actual Battle Royale game, to boot.

Honestly the most boring leak that I've seen. Which means it's probably true, unfortunately.
Nothing too exciting, but at least Luigi's Mansion got a da--
Never mind the rest of that, this is good enough for me!
Though I still wish they announced 3D World already...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Make it a Cain & Abel duo and we'll be poppin. Abel's better anyway
If Cain did make it into Warriors I was thinking he could summon a ghost version of Abel for his Awakening special. But Cain just looks cooler and he's a better character plus he could use fire effects so Cain > Abel in my book even if Abel does start with a higher lance rank in Shadow Dragon.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh yeaaah, it was the perma death that killed the game for me. Yeah nah I just couldn't handle that....:grin:

I really suck at those games so I quickly found characters I liked and they would immediately bite the dust in the next chapter. I kept resetting, cause I'm a dirty save-scummer, but they would always die....eventually I gave up.

I tried perma death in a few Fates runs and it just pissed me off, too.
If you reset after a death you have to start the whole chapter over, 'cause the game saves the RNG otherwise. If a character you like keeps dying, you have to not let them get into real danger in the first place. The best thing to do is not taking them into chapters with a large number of enemy units with a Weapon Triangle advantage (this is easier in the earlier games where they would regularly pack chapters with enemy units who were all pretty much the same or similar classes with a few exceptions. XD)
I have more than once lost concentration and sent a character I have grown confident in take on a large number of enemies and had them die for my trouble.

FE Strategy tips from a Guy who is in no way a hardcore FE Fan and will probably be corrected by someone who knows more than I do!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All he does is make your controller shake for ****s n giggles. Considering HD rumble is a thing, he could improve upon it. Hell, he could even read your memory to know your games.

"Ah, I see you played Super Mario Odyssey. Do you like taking control of others against their will?"
I really want this to be a thing.

If you turn of rumble, than the controller should not shake though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Cain did make it into Warriors I was thinking he could summon a ghost version of Abel for his Awakening special. But Cain just looks cooler and he's a better character plus he could use fire effects so Cain > Abel in my book even if Abel does start with a higher lance rank in Shadow Dragon.
I only prefer to play Abel. Cain's got the smug face for every occasion

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think I found a minor Veteran pattern for the first 6 weeks for the blog. It looks like one of the veterans for each week will be one from that was cut from SSB4. 1st week had Ice Climbers, 2nd was Snake, and 3rd is Young Link. And it looks like they're alternating between Melee and Brawl newcomer cut. So next week, one of the cut characters is either Pokemon Trainer or Wolf in that case with Pichu being the 5th week and the 6th week being the last Brawl newcomer cut.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Mini Direct?

No smash reveal

Lame...

But it's impossible to predict perfectly though so anything can happen

If even one date is wrong on there goodbye leak

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is this all for the neutral B?.
For planning a project construction step yeah. The process of constructing and completed projects is an automated process.

It’s not a bad concept by any means, but the the stat boost in addition to the stage control seem overpowered.
Well, Isabelle would start out relatively weak in power and is very lightweight, but have good range in some of her aerial/standard attacks to be able to defend her projects. But because of her being lightweight, when she is KOed or out of the battlefield, it gives opponents ample time to destroy projects before she gets back on stage. So I do not think she would be overpowered, even when she has the benefits of stage control and stat boosts when projects are placed.

I’m a bit interested in how she would engage in the neutral game, on attack, on defense, or utilizing some other key aspects of gameplay.
I am not so sure how Isabelle would engage in neutral game, but I would imagine most players would either immediately start the match planning/placing projects on the stage or get the opponent off-stage (or at least out of range) so that players would have time to construct projects. For attack and defense tactics, Isabelle could use her projects to:

-use as a method of edge-guarding when placing the project near the stage's edge.
-construct multiple projects close and around Isabelle to create fort of sorts to be able to defend from multiple opponents one by one.
-destroy the project so that it towers and slowly falls over to the opponent with great damage and knockback (Sort of like Villager's Tree special), but the same actions can be done by the opponent to counterattack Isabelle.

Those are just some of the tactics I came up with. There is an endless amount of strategies Isabelle can do when thinking about the placement of projects on the stage that would make her a fun character to master.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
No smash reveal

Lame...

But it's impossible to predict perfectly though so anything can happen

If even one date is wrong on there goodbye leak
Yes and no. Delays happen. Just because one thing isn't accurate doesn't necessarily mean the leak is bogus, assuming they get plenty correct.

People hold Leaks to really odd standards here. Like the whole "if Simon isn't shown at E3 Vergeben is a liar," thing. First of all, he said he had many different sources. A few could be reliable and a few may not be. Doesn't mean everything was bologna.

EDIT: He also didn't say Simon WOULD be revealed at E3 just that he was in the game.

But yeah, realistically if even one date is wrong everyone will say all the other stuff was dumb luck on the "leakers" part and nothing more, cause that makes sense. :^)

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

Outside of the four mentioned, no one from Sony really has that heavy hitting power for a 3rd party imo. From the pool of characters owned by Sony, there could be Sack Boy, Kratos, Parappa, Nathan Drake, and some others but none really have the star power (maybe Kratos?). I'd just say stick with Crash as the honorary "Play Station character", even if he technically isnt.

If I could pick one, though, I'd probably go for Parappa or Nathan Drake, just because of how ridiculously funny either option would be.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I mean, literally half of the Fire Emblem characters we have in the game don't have blue hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom