• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Really, the Falcondorf's conversation's getting old.

But have you all noticed how pretty much all the sword wielders have the same down smash of hitting forward and then backward?
Cloud's was a bit different since he strikes with the hilt first, then the blade, but now that Ganondorf has it, it's no longer unique.

Shulk's is also unique, and also a bit weird, as is Corrin's.

And Robin's is also unique.

But otherwise yeah, the rest are all pretty much the same movement.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Cloud's was a bit different since he strikes with the hilt first, then the blade, but now that Ganondorf has it, it's no longer unique.

Shulk's is also unique, and also a bit weird, as is Corrin's.

And Robin's is also unique.

But otherwise yeah, the rest are all pretty much the same movement.
Speaking of Robin's DSmash, anyone able to tell me why I should choose to use that over FSmash or vice versa? Outside of that tiny electric spark from DSmash, they look like they both focus on just hitting the space in front of Robin.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Chef Kawasaki the Omni-King, is one of the kings of the 12 Universes, one of the two entities who stands above the entire multiverse, alongside his future counterpart, Future Chef Kawasaki.
Oh man, I loved the Tournament of Poyo arc.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Speaking of Robin's DSmash, anyone able to tell me why I should choose to use that over FSmash or vice versa? Outside of that tiny electric spark from DSmash, they look like they both focus on just hitting the space in front of Robin.
Dsmash is a better punishing option. It also KOs earlier with the bronze sword than fmash.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
One thing to note about determining a character's strength is that feats =/= ability. Just because a knight defeats a dragon doesn't mean the knight's strength and abilities exceed that of the dragon.
For example, Yoshi defeats a skyscraper sized Bowser (baby and adult) time and time again. The way some Vs. arguments go, that would make it seem like Yoshi has the ability to suplex a skyscraper sized Bowser, but that's not how it works. Yoshi defeating Bowser is a FEAT, not an ability.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Okay, so I'm trying to play catch up here...

What part of this patch datamine indicates that it was Bayonetta? I'm hearing data and seeing numbers, but I have yet to see anything that directly proves it was Bayo.

Not arguing against it here, just wondering where the Bayonetta conclusion is coming from.
In detail, version 1.0.6 added some unused character slots. It was discovered sometime after the fact that these slots had movement/physics stats, and one of them had identical stats to Zero Suit Samus, while another had identical stats to Ike. The stats on these slots can then be observed to alter in each subsequent patch, and would eventually become Bayonetta and Cloud respectively (a slot would also get added in 1.0.8 that was identical to Ike, which would become Corrin).

So this revealed some interesting trivia that Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin started off development as Zamus and Ike clones respectively and were drastically altered from there. However more interesting, is that version 1.0.6 released only two weeks after the Ballot launched, meaning Bayonetta was planned and started development before the Ballot even launched, meaning she wasn't chosen for being the "Ballot Winner" and the Ballot ended up not being used for Smash 4 DLC at all despite that being its marketed purpose (while instead it appears the Ballot results were saved for Smash Ultimate).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For example, Yoshi defeats a skyscraper sized Bowser (baby and adult) time and time again. The way some Vs. arguments go, that would make it seem like Yoshi has the ability to suplex a skyscraper sized Bowser, but that's not how it works. Yoshi defeating Bowser is a FEAT, not an ability.
"Rock beat scissor and scissor beats paper so obviously rock beats paper, duh."

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
In detail, version 1.0.6 added some unused character slots. It was discovered sometime after the fact that these slots had movement/physics stats, and one of them had identical stats to Zero Suit Samus, while another had identical stats to Ike. The stats on these slots can then be observed to alter in each subsequent patch, and would eventually become Bayonetta and Cloud respectively (a slot would also get added in 1.0.8 that was identical to Ike, which would become Corrin).

So this revealed some interesting trivia that Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin started off development as Zamus and Ike clones respectively and were drastically altered from there. However more interesting, is that version 1.0.6 released only two weeks after the Ballot launched, meaning Bayonetta was planned and started development before the Ballot even launched, meaning she wasn't chosen for being the "Ballot Winner" and the Ballot ended up not being used for Smash 4 DLC at all despite that being its marketed purpose (while instead it appears the Ballot results were saved for Smash Ultimate).

I said that I didn't necessarily believe that it was rigged, but the data files I remember now that you mentioned them. I think I'll just remain neutral from this point onward, though, for the most part I just want to post memes and keep everyone in a good mood.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The process of adding a character to an existing game's coding without breaking it isn't a no effort endeavor, even in the case it was just another Zamus with no Bayo assets applied yet. See the tremendous difficulty modders have had with trying to add new characters slots into Brawl and Smash 4 instead of just replacing existing characters.
There is a giant difference between modders and professional programmer, who built that code from scratch by themself. Especially when the program was already built with the idea of expanding the roster with DLC characters.

And I suppose that if something went wrong with Bayonetta negotiations (which was extremely unlikely due to how much Nintendo is influencial in that franchise) they could have always overwritten that ZSS slot with another character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Mimikyu or Zeraora? Who be the more of the likeliness? (Decidueye is not an option in this discussion).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Mimikyu or Zeraora? Who be the more of the likeliness? (Decidueye is not an option in this discussion).
Neither.

Hot Take: Pokémon isn't going to get a newcomer in this edition of Smash Bros. because other, more popular characters will get in.

Also, to all of my peeps who were here for Brawl or Smash 4 speculation, this video goes over all of the major leaks that occurred during the speculation for those games. Took me back to the good old days of Pre-Smash 4. It's good to be back speculating about Smash Bros. there's just something about it that you miss.

This video also makes me wish for some actual screenshot or video leaks. We've gotten 0 screenshot or video leaks so far. Zero. Zippo. Zilch.

Ya'll leakers are slacking.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
What significance does Zeraora have to warrant inclusion?

I guess Mimikyu but I think we're getting either Tapu Koko or Nihilego.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a new Pokémon character this time around, as much as I want one.

Honestly, I just want one more Pokémon to complete my "Ultimate Pokémon Battle" matchup.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Neither.

Hot Take: Pokémon isn't going to get a newcomer in this edition of Smash Bros. because other, more popular characters will get in.
Honestly, I have to agree. It makes more sense to fill out another series with few fighters, like DK or WW.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This'd be the first game to not give us a Pokemon newcomer then.

Just like Smash 4 was the first game to not give us Zelda or Star Fox newcomers.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Mimikyu. I don't want to start a whole thing here but I cannot see Zeraora getting in even as a Pokeball...

Gen 7 has too many other popular choices.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Shulk's down smash is based off one of Reyn's arts, I think? I swear Reyn has some kind of spinning attack move just like it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Shulk's down smash is based off one of Reyn's arts, I think? I swear Reyn has some kind of spinning attack move just like it.
Reyn got shafted super hard, why the **** wasn't he in Shulk's Final Smash? And speaking of Shulk, why the **** is the damage buff not Enchant?
In a game where popularity matters more than ever, I'm picking the character who's actually been released and adored

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Another "leak." The name of the "leaker:? ESRB1753 (that means nothing, but it's funny that he's trying to imitate the ESRB leak).
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422977159
NEW CHARACTERS:
Simon Belmont
King K. Rool
Lycanroc
Shovel Knight
Rex/Pyra

NEW ECHOES:
Dark Samus
Ninten

NEW STAGES:
Gyromite
Altar of the Sunne/Moone
Bowser's Castle
Indoline Praetorium
Dracula's Castle
Gangplank Galleon
Tower of Fate
Dr. Mario

RETURNING STAGES:
Fountain of Dreams
Pictochat X (combines drawings from both)
Poke Floats, as well as a second version with Gen 3-7 Pokemon
Brinstar Depths

MODES:
Classic Mode functions like a combination of Melee and 3DS, featuring multiple paths and randomized challenges.
Adventure Mode from Melee returns, and has several linear 2D stages and bosses.
Events are laid out similar to Melee and Brawl.
Smash Run returns, but not Smash Tour.
Target Tests for each character are back, but Target Blast still remains with 5 stages.
All-Star now toggles how many fighters from each generation appear via difficulty.

I hope this information will be received well. There are demos slowly being leaked out according to my sources, so stay tuned.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What significance does Zeraora have to warrant inclusion?
A movie.

I guess Mimikyu but I think we're getting either Tapu Koko or Nihilego.
Why them?

Honestly, I have to agree. It makes more sense to fill out another series with few fighters, like DK or WW.
Donkey Kong and WarioWare? They're gonna pass up a new Pokemon in favor of Donkey Kong and WarioWare?! How does that make more sense? Especially any more now than it did last time?

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
QUESTION

If this game gets DLC, who do you think would be the perfect final DLC Character?
Either Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief. End it with a console icon.

A movie made in 2018 that isn't even out yet. Zeraora is a Pokémon that hasn't had any prominence whatsoever for this entire generation. He hasn't even been released in the games worldwide, only in Japan (and he was released in Japan literal days ago). Zeraora is hardly relevant, especially in 2015, when the roster was decided. Unless Pokémon Company has the foresight to know exactly what they're advertising when Smash Ultimate comes out and actively decides to pursue another flavor of the month I imagine they'd go after a more relevant Pokémon for Gen 7.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, I know this conversation was a bit ago, but I just finished my own canon-power tier list. Beware of spoilers.

Shulk, Sonic, Ness, Bayonetta, Kirby, Samus, Megaman, Cloud, Roy, Link, Ike, Corrin, Robin, Marth, and Lucina are in their most powerful forms. ie, Super Sonic, Post-Magicant Ness, Kirby when he cares, etc.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I would be quite surprised if we didn’t get a new Pokémon rep. It’s always a big deal, and it just seems smart marketing wise.

I’m gonna say Mimikyu. I don’t personally think Zeraora is in the running (there’s like 2 other possible Pokémon 2 newcomers that you didn’t mention, IMO)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In a game where popularity matters more than ever, I'm picking the character who's actually been released and adored
Me too and I really hope so. Not only is he unique as a ghost type, but I think he'd be the most unique fighter of all the Gen 7 Pokemon.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So, I know this conversation was a bit ago, but I just finished my own canon-power tier list. Beware of spoilers.

Shulk, Sonic, Ness, Bayonetta, Kirby, Samus, Megaman, Cloud, Roy, Link, Ike, Corrin, Robin, Marth, and Lucina are in their most powerful forms. ie, Super Sonic, Post-Magicant Ness, Kirby when he cares, etc.
I'd move Robin up and Roy down, but other than that I agree with this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Me too and I really hope so. Not only is he unique as a ghost type, but I think he'd be the most unique fighter of all the Gen 7 Pokemon.
I'm just saying, the two choices you gave were horrifically unbalanced, of course everyone would prefer Mimikyu over Zeraora
Why not DBS Goku? Or DBGT Goku?
muh most iconic appearancd

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

This is bretty gud actually, I love how powerful Ness and Lucas are despite being some of the youngest characters in the cast. I would bump Wario up one tier though, he's probably stronger than Mario since he's literally unkillable in his games, he just keeps his adventures small scale, but I fully believe Wario would beat up anyone Mario has ever beaten up and take their money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom