• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I would've convinced the world to not put Yoshi on the backburner by the time I die. However, I seem to have overshot and by the time 2098 comes around Yoshi already became the world's largest religion and now almost all aspects of culture is compelled to represent Yoshi in everything...
Yoshi became so dominant that Mario was removed from Smash because he was no longer the main character, the sole cut in over 10 iterations. "Yoshi Variant #1: Original" (of 20 different Yoshis in the 2000+ roster Smash Bros.) is now so broken he is the only character able to stand up to Meta Bayonetta (he still loses but has by far the best match-up, the next best is "Yoshi Variant #2: Boshi").

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Imagine we got a Camelot character sadly not Issac but I think you guys would be hyped for him as well
Woah

That's like some weird 80s/90s Lego **** where they reuse the mold but it's basically the same face as a character from a themed set. Trippy.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Apparently Bayo and Corrin were started just 2 weeks after the ballot started. This supports my theory that the ballot was being used for this game. After all the Switch was in development at that point and it's a no brainer to get a Smash Bros game on it.
We've been talking about this for literally the past 20 pages.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Yoshi became so dominant that Mario was removed from Smash because he was no longer the main character, the sole cut in over 10 iterations. "Yoshi Variant #1: Original" (of 20 different Yoshis in the 2000 roster Smash Bros.) is now so broken he is the only character able to stand up to Meta Bayonetta (he still loses but has by far the best match-up, the next best is "Yoshi Variant #2: Boshi").
Meta Bayonetta is my favorite Star Fox character.

I will say though.

Now that Ridley is in and Pokemon Trainer is back...

I think Isaac is my new most wanted barring no hopers like Phoenix Wright.
Man, I already gave up hope for PW years ago, but seeing you write out the words "no hopers" is still depressing.
I hope he at least gets a trophy in this installment.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Yoshi became so dominant that Mario was removed from Smash because he was no longer the main character, the sole cut in over 10 iterations. "Yoshi Variant #1: Original" (of 20 different Yoshis in the 2000+ roster Smash Bros.) is now so broken he is the only character able to stand up to Meta Bayonetta (he still loses but has by far the best match-up, the next best is "Yoshi Variant #2: Boshi").
Imagine an era of Nintendo where Mario hasn't been used for years and is considered as retro of a character as Mr. Game & Watch.

That's so weird to think about.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Meta Bayonetta is my favorite Star Fox character.
There are rumours that there's a new character who'll take Meta Bayonetta's spot at the top of the tier list: Meta Cloudinetta.

It's just Meta Bayonetta, only now her Guns are Gunblades and she's wearing a Spiky Blonde Wig.
Man, I already gave up hope for PW years ago, but seeing you write out the words "no hopers" is still depressing.
I hope he at least gets a trophy in this installment.
I think Nick would make a great Assist Trophy. He picks the last person to score a KO (or at random if no KOs have been scored), then gathers 'evidence' against that person. Eventually, he yells out OBJECTION! and that player is immediately KO'd.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
There are rumours that there's a new character who'll take Meta Bayonetta's spot at the top of the tier list: Meta Cloudinetta.

It's just Meta Bayonetta, only now her Guns are Gunblades and she's wearing a Spiky Blonde Wig.

I think Nick would make a great Assist Trophy. He picks the last person to score a KO (or at random if no KOs have been scored), then gathers 'evidence' against that person. Eventually, he yells out OBJECTION! and that player is immediately KO'd.
My idea for an AA assist was always Apollo Justice. He'd burst out of the assist trophy in his 'adjusting tie' pose, then grab his bracelet arm and focus. His bracelet perceive reticle would show up on screen, and the background would change to the one from AJ. If it touched a character, it would zoom in on them and hit them with Apollo's GOTCHA! Speech bubble, dealing damage.

I always thought that it was a cool idea. Phoenix would make a great assist too, but I really like Apollo.

KMDP

Smash Legend
My idea for an AA assist was always Apollo Justice. He'd burst out of the assist trophy in his 'adjusting tie' pose, then grab his bracelet arm and focus. His bracelet perceive reticle would show up on screen, and the background would change to the one from AJ. If it touched a character, it would zoom in on them and hit them with Apollo's GOTCHA! Speech bubble, dealing damage.

I always thought that it was a cool idea. Phoenix would make a great assist too, but I really like Apollo.
I like that idea too! Now... how do we complete the triad and include Athena too? Or Edgeworth, him as well...

*imagines giant flying chess pieces for Edgeworth's assist*

Hmm... very logical...

Luminario

Smash Lord
Here's a game for you all, suggest up to four characters, in the form of character pitches. Like how in that Smash 4 design document that describes what Rosalina, Robin and Duck Hunt can do as a Smash Fighter.

You must provide a short description of what the character can do (you can relate them to other fighters to give a clearer idea of what they do) and a theme for the character.

Isaac
The main character of Golden Sun, Isaac fights with Venus Psynergy (Earth Manipulation), Djinn (Helpful Elemental Spirits) and a Sword at his disposal. When Isaac fully charges his Neutral, Side or Down Special attacks, his attack will cause a temporary change in the structure of the stage in the area around him, though these changes will eventually revert back to normal after a few seconds. Certain basic and smash attacks will cause a Djinn to come to Isaac's aid, which will not only increase the range of the attack, but temporarily provide a very small boost to one of his stats (attack power, movement speed, damage taken, jump height, etc.) until the next time he uses his attack, which will remove the Djinn's effect. His side smash, when fully charged, becomes 'Ragnarok', a huge ethereal sword which will plant itself in the ground and bury foes.
Theme: Stage Manipulation, Ranged Sword Fighting

Nightmare
The Azure Knight of Soul Calibur, Nightmare fights with a huge Great Sword known as "Soul Edge". This sword weighs him down a lot, making him very heavy and slow, but his attacks really pack a wallop and have huge knockback. When Nightmare attacks with Soul Edge, he recovers a small amount of percentage depending on how much damage he dealt to the opponent (approximately 10%). This HP recover effect also occurs when Nightmare grabs his foe, he can't pummel his opponent, but he absorbs health from them instead. His Final Smash involves summoning a horse made of Shadow, a 'Night mare', and mowing down enemies.
Theme: Hard Hitting Attacks, HP absorption.

Sephiroth
The One-winged Angel, the greatest SOLDIER, and 'son' of Jenova. Sephiroth carries an enormous katana by the name of Masamune. Sephiroth, confident to the point of arrogance, moves slowly and deliberately when not actively running (he 'runs' by gliding, just like Cloud). When he attacks with Masamune, he appears to swing the sword slowly, but actually several wind blades from his fast strokes attack his opponent; as a result, his attacks hit multiple times, but they also take a while to end, so you better make sure not to miss. His Down Aerial, "Hell's Gate", has the property of instantly destroying damageable Assist Trophies.
Theme: Deliberate, multi-hitting attacks.

Tifa Lockhart
The beautiful patron of the "Seventh Heaven" Bar and a member of AVALANCHE, Tifa plays somewhat like a fusion of Cloud and Little Mac. Like Little Mac, her style is mostly about fisticuffs, and she does poorly in the air, and like Cloud, she has a Limit Gauge which, when filled, powers up her Special Moves. She fights with kicks and punches, which do a lot of damage but have relatively poor range; her special moves are Beat Rush (Neutral), a combo move that requires extra inputs; Somersault (Up), a back flip; Meteodrive (Side), a command grab that involves suplexing the character she grabs; and Limit Charge (Down), which works the same way as with Cloud. Her Final Smash "Final Heaven" requires you to play a roulette (wth "Yeah!", "Hit" or "Miss"), the damage it deals depends on how many "Yeah!" or "Hit" slots you get.
Theme: Limit Breaking Fisticuffs
Alright I'll give this a shot~
Isabelle
The mayor's assistant from Animal Crossing New Leaf, this hard working dog brings a unconventional moveset filled with various elements from the AC games, including the Public Works Projects to control the stage. Through the use of the Resetti Manhole and Bubble Blower specials, Isabelle would be able to set down both land and aerial mines, while using her Fruit Fly special to throw wide arc fruity projectiles to pester from afar. The Public Works Projects also show up in her smash attacks, where she can instantly create topiaries, arches, and clock faces to deal with opponents. Her other attacks incorporate the various items of AC not included in Villager's moveset, including the party poppers, toy hammers, sparklers, and even musical notes.
Theme: Stage Control, Trapper.

Ashley
A witch from WarioWare's Diamond City. Ashley's dark magic allows her to curse her enemies, debuffing their attack of defence to turn the tide of battle into Ashley's favour. She can cycle through 3 different curses: one to lower opponents damage output, one to lower opponents weight so they're easier to kill, and one to make opponents immediately drop any item they pick up. Ashley's wand is also her imp friend Red, who can transform into all sorts of useful items like a broom or an umbrella. Many of Ashley's attacks use dark magic to attack, such as side smash blasting opponents with a purple explosion, or down smash creating a whirlpool of dark energy at her feet.
Theme: Debuffer.

Mimikyu
Pikachu's copycat from Pokemon Sun and Moon, Mimikyu uses it's Ghost and Fairy typing for all sorts of unusual attacks. Mimikyu's unique ability, Disguise, allows it to counter a hit with Astonish, stunning the opponent. After Disguise is used, Mimikyu's head falls limply behind it, making it's hurtbox wider at the back but lower on top. Mimikyu must then repair the disguise to put the head back on top to use the counter again. Using Pain Split as a command grab, Mimikyu slightly equalizes both it's and the opponent's percentages, a double edged sword depending on if it's percentage is higher or lower than the opponents. Mimikyu also uses various Pokemon moves throughout it's moveset, such as Wood Hammer that bashes the wooden tail against the ground for side smash, Dark Pulse to radiate dark energy along the ground for down smash, and Dazzling Gleam to light the head up like a lightbulb for up smash.
Theme: Tricky and Situational.

Savvy Stylist
From the game Style Savvy/New Style Boutique, this fashionista can change her clothes on the go to switch her current specials. She has 3 jobs she can change between: Make up Artist, Hair Stylist, and Fashion Designer, each with their own uses. Make Up Artist has makeover command grabs and perfume grenades, Hair Stylist has hair clip traps and a mirror reflector that can be broken with physical attacks, and the Fashion Designer has a spinning counter and a sewing mannequin wall-on-wheels. For attacks, the Stylist uses multiple items of clothing to attack, such as striking with a stiletto, whacking with her handbag, or even throwing items out of her handbag. She even summons stage lights to flash for smash attacks and uses her phone camera flash to attack in aerials.
Theme: Special Switching.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
By the way, if we get either a Subspace Emissary like mode or a Smash Run, I would love to see Rex as an enemy. They're tough to kill normally unless you footstool them once to flatten them and another time to beat them...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alright I'll give this a shot~
Isabelle
The mayor's assistant from Animal Crossing New Leaf, this hard working dog brings a unconventional moveset filled with various elements from the AC games, including the Public Works Projects to control the stage. Through the use of the Resetti Manhole and Bubble Blower specials, Isabelle would be able to set down both land and aerial mines, while using her Fruit Fly special to throw wide arc fruity projectiles to pester from afar. The Public Works Projects also show up in her smash attacks, where she can instantly create topiaries, arches, and clock faces to deal with opponents. Her other attacks incorporate the various items of AC not included in Villager's moveset, including the party poppers, toy hammers, sparklers, and even musical notes.
Theme: Stage Control, Trapper.

Ashley
A witch from WarioWare's Diamond City. Ashley's dark magic allows her to curse her enemies, debuffing their attack of defence to turn the tide of battle into Ashley's favour. She can cycle through 3 different curses: one to lower opponents damage output, one to lower opponents weight so they're easier to kill, and one to make opponents immediately drop any item they pick up. Ashley's wand is also her imp friend Red, who can transform into all sorts of useful items like a broom or an umbrella. Many of Ashley's attacks use dark magic to attack, such as side smash blasting opponents with a purple explosion, or down smash creating a whirlpool of dark energy at her feet.
Theme: Debuffer.

Mimikyu
Pikachu's copycat from Pokemon Sun and Moon, Mimikyu uses it's Ghost and Fairy typing for all sorts of unusual attacks. Mimikyu's unique ability, Disguise, allows it to counter a hit with Astonish, stunning the opponent. After Disguise is used, Mimikyu's head falls limply behind it, making it's hurtbox wider at the back but lower on top. Mimikyu must then repair the disguise to put the head back on top to use the counter again. Using Pain Split as a command grab, Mimikyu slightly equalizes both it's and the opponent's percentages, a double edged sword depending on if it's percentage is higher or lower than the opponents. Mimikyu also uses various Pokemon moves throughout it's moveset, such as Wood Hammer that bashes the wooden tail against the ground for side smash, Dark Pulse to radiate dark energy along the ground for down smash, and Dazzling Gleam to light the head up like a lightbulb for up smash.
Theme: Tricky and Situational.

Savvy Stylist
From the game Style Savvy/New Style Boutique, this fashionista can change her clothes on the go to switch her current specials. She has 3 jobs she can change between: Make up Artist, Hair Stylist, and Fashion Designer, each with their own uses. Make Up Artist has makeover command grabs and perfume grenades, Hair Stylist has hair clip traps and a mirror reflector that can be broken with physical attacks, and the Fashion Designer has a spinning counter and a sewing mannequin wall-on-wheels. For attacks, the Stylist uses multiple items of clothing to attack, such as striking with a stiletto, whacking with her handbag, or even throwing items out of her handbag. She even summons stage lights to flash for smash attacks and uses her phone camera flash to attack in aerials.
Theme: Special Switching.
Very nice. :grin: I especially like your Isabelle who isn't just a Villager clone. Feel free to also post them here if you want to.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
By the way, if we get either a Subspace Emissary like mode or a Smash Run, I would love to see Rex as an enemy. They're tough to kill normally unless you footstool them once to flatten them and another time to beat them...
What Rex?

This one?

This one?

Or this one?

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
How will any of you feel if King K. Rool and Bandana Dee DON'T get in? I feel people are being set up for disappointment...
Personally I wouldn’t care and I don’t know why, but I do feel like some of the perceived popular requested characters aren’t getting in. Just as examples, we might get the Dee but not Ashley, might not get Geno and might get Dixie and only Dixie from DK. At the same time, I can’t say whether a character is likely or not (he’ll I don’t think anyone can really say for sure) since we don’t know Sakurai’s thought process going into Ultimate. We have things to make guesses about what characters are potentially likely, but really really just don’t know exactly what Saks is thinking.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
How will any of you feel if King K. Rool and Bandana Dee DON'T get in? I feel people are being set up for disappointment...
If King K. Rool doesn't get in this he's pretty much dead until somebody decides to use him in DK again. I'd be devastated. It would be Corrin 2.0. I could live without Bandanna Dee though.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
We’ll find out soon enough. I like being apart of Smash speculation, but I don’t really do too much actual speculating. I usually just roll with it. Whoever is in, is in.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If King K. Rool doesn't get in this he's pretty much dead until somebody decides to use him in DK again. I'd be devastated. It would be Corrin 2.0. I could live without Bandanna Dee though.
In order for it to be "Corrin 2", wouldn't you need a character from a brand new game to get in?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since the ballot is more of a suggestion box anyway, something dawned on me; the organizers must have read through every single suggestion, culled out the ones that don't make sense (i.e. licensed characters) and third-parties that are less viable than others, then focused on the rest that weren't already considered as AT material.

This might be huge.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Since the ballot is more of a suggestion box anyway, something dawned on me; the organizers must have read through every single suggestion, culled out the ones that don't make sense (i.e. licensed characters) and third-parties that are less viable than others, then focused on the rest that weren't already considered as AT material.

This might be huge.
Hopefully they read my essay on why King K. Rool would be a good fit for the game and why him and his moveset would be interesting and unique.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hopefully they read my essay on why King K. Rool would be a good fit for the game and why him and his moveset would be interesting and unique.
And my essay about Isaac, and how good his moveset potential is.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The real question is Spring Man even popular ENOUGH ? Personally I do find him boring myself and generic. Someone like Twintelle would be far more interesting and sassy. I'm not even into Arms AT ALL and I know about Twintelle.
Ness wasn't "popular enough", Falcon wasn't "popular enough" and the Ice Climbers weren't "popular enough" and they still made it in. I see no issues with Spring Man.

It kinda sad that this is 100% fact. The cast of Arms is great but we have to settle with the most boring one of them all.
Hey, leave him alone.:p

nah. K Rool wasn't the most voted for.

It was Goku
Goku votes would have been disqualified as the ballot was explicit in only voting for video game characters. Goku couldn't have been the ballot "winner" no matter what.

So folks...

Here's a question.

Does this question change how you feel about Bayonetta in Smash? :ultbayonetta:
I feel great, because as noted:

I guess if anything is to be taken away from this is that Sakurai added Bayonetta without the influence of the ballot. People said that 3rd party characters needed to be iconic, and they only made an exception for Bayonetta, because she was the ballot winner. Now we know that's not the case,
And now nobody has any business to say that Bayonetta was a exception to the whole supposed third-party icon rule because of the ballot. I'm just happy we can finally put this ridiculous fan assumption to rest. The fact people genuinely still clinged on to this assumption that third-parties need to be icons after Beyonetta being included and Geno being wanted by Sakurai is the height of denial.

It puts Elma in a weird spot since she's no longer relevant
She was absolutely "relevant" at the time the roster was being conceptualized in December 2015.

Before it was argued by most people that "realizable characters" just meant excluding characters like Goku and Shrek, thus she was the legitimate winner among viable characters and chosen from the Ballot, while people who suspected otherwise were treated as salty conspiracy nuts. So now we got objective evidence that Bayo was actually planned and began active development for the Ballot even launched.
As I've stated before, the likes of them couldn't have been the "true ballot winners".

As a matter of fact, Sakurai did say that Bayonetta places higher than veterans from the ballot,
He never said that.
So then here is a new question. How much weight do people think fan polls have now that we know what we know about Bayonetta? B
Still not that much.

Especially since Bomberman and Krystal, two characters who had significant support, are ATs.
Except we don't know how well they truly did in the ballot so those examples aren't valid.

Won't matter how many people boycott the game if if it actually puts in ballot favorites like Banjo and K. Rool. Everyone else will be there at midnight.
"Sakurai has lied to me! This is going to be the worst Smash game ever!"

*K. Rool ends up being revealed*

"10/10 game, thank you Sakurai, I'm buying 10 copies!"

On the topic of Bandana Dee, I feel like the worst detracting argument for him is when people are like "oh, you want a ****in' Goomba with a hat while we're at it?"

If that Goomba managed to make it into several Mario games, develop his own personality and moveset unique from others of his kind, and be promoted just as heavily as Mario, Luigi, and Bowser are, then **** yeah, I would want that Goomba with a hat.
A Goomba with a hat already exists as a Mario character.

You know, through all this discussion and debate, I'm surprised nobody's made mention of wanting to see stupid clips like these to start popping up online when the game comes out.
I swear, that dopey smile on Falcon's face at the end is what does it for me. Bless you, Lythero.
What can I say, even Falcon hates anime!:troll:

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Cap. Falcon was in a anime.

So, if he hate animes, does he hate himself for being in one?
a emote.png

Also, I'm going to be very sad if this song doesn't make it into Smash Ultimate.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
She was absolutely "relevant" at the time the roster was being conceptualized in December 2015.
Despite being "relevant" this Ballot upset brings something interesting to light. Speculating the Ballot was used for Ultimate more than 4 (which we don't know for sure yet, just speculating) I'm not sure Elma would have really been a heavily supported character. Not to mention she would have little to no representation from American and European voters as the game didn't come out until December 2015 there.

And honestly, not knowing it would be used for a future Smash game, I don't think the majority of Japanese fans would vote her over their fan favorites that have existed much longer.

Anyway I was just pointing out that this Ballot upset doesn't bode in her favor. Her best chance still remains that Sakurai really wanted to include more Xenoblade representation.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's important to note that most likely, not every character will be a ballot pick.

We will still probably have a few promotional and Sakurai picks.

It's just gonna be a balance.

(Same as Melee, Brawl and Smash 4, honestly.)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think both K. Rool and Dixie are shoe-ins for a variety of reasons. First, DK is in serious need of at least another rep since Brawl, and Dixie I think is the one which deserves it the most. K. Rool though is probably pretty high in the request list, so I think Sakurai will just put them both in, Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy, and K. Rool as a new character altogether. He's not putting K. Rool before Dixie though, so his only chance is if both get in.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Also, I'm going to be very sad if this song doesn't make it into Smash Ultimate.
I'm already sad that Sonic music in Smash is mostly vocal tracks or themes, to begin with. Disgusting. That's a very tiny, minuscule fraction of Sonic music.

Add some CD stage music

Add some Sonic Adventure stage music

Some Heroes

Some Unleashed and some Mania and I'm set.

And a Mania stage pls.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think both K. Rool and Dixie are shoe-ins for a variety of reasons. First, DK is in serious need of at least another rep since Brawl, and Dixie I think is the one which deserves it the most. K. Rool though is probably pretty high in the request list, so I think Sakurai will just put them both in, Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy, and K. Rool as a new character altogether. He's not putting K. Rool before Dixie though, so his only chance is if both get in.
Since Brawl? But we got Diddy in Brawl

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I feel like it is a bit presumptuous to say that one is "more popular" over the other. Sakurai will look at the characters and their potential, consider the fanbase and then do what Sakurai does best: what he wants.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
DK doesn't need new reps. If Sakurai thinks that the franchise should have 2 reps then that's fine with me.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Sorry to break your heart, but Waluigi is not coming.
He is an Assist Trophy.

I love this meme. :)
Not gonna break my heart, i could legit care less if he got in.
The video just has some interesting points that he may still come. Not saying it's a guarantee, but it's interesting to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom