• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Keep in mind that "reps" don't just mean characters.
"Reps" could mean Assist Trophies, stages, trophies, items, etc.
I personally don't think any franchise "needs" more reps just for the sake of it, but I'm fine with certain franchises getting expansions if the character in question is interesting enough.
What should the Pokemon Sun and Moon stage be?
I was thinking of:
U L T R A S P A C E
L
T
R
A

S
P
A
C
E
Can we just all agree there's too much fire emblem?
No

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
DK deserves more representation in general.
It's hard to defend SSB4 having 8 remixes of the same song, no matter how you try to spin it.
Yeah, that's something even I can't defend.
No idea if this has been brought up or not (I'm like 100 pages behind) but
Taunts universally seem to have low faf which in simple terms means they can be cancelled very early on. Certain taunts throughout the series have already had this, namely Bayo's but now it seems to apply to all taunts. This can actually be seen on the main website with Meta Knight's video when he's doing his jab and Toon Link constantly does his sword swinging taunt.
ANYWAYS, that's all well and good and to the uninformed, this may seem like just a neat little addition. But oh no, this is much more than that. This feature alone adds what is probably the best taunt combination in the entire series. Thanks to this addition, it is now possible to say "Hands off my piece of cake" :ultfalco:

The only other ones I can think of are faster versions of "Come fight me" :ultmetaknight: and "Come on, show me your moves" :ultfalcon: and nowhere near as good as Falco's but there's "I'm really feeling this is the Monado's power/I'm really feeling now it's Shulk time" :ultshulk:

During my catching up last night I saw a post asking about the top 10 characters people are wanting to main. I've already got 6 of mine in my signature but to join in late on that post: :ultwolf::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultmetaknight::ultpichu::ultike::ultroy: with honourable mentions to :ultmewtwo::ultrobin:ultridley::ultkirby:

I also saw Tellius FE talk between Troykv and KMDP :3 I too started with RD before playing PoR and honestly, you don't miss out on too terribly much but doing it that way. Most of it is just wondering how so many characters know each other and then there's small things like the circumstance of the Black Knight and Oliver. Can definitely recommend RD if you can acquire a copy (totally not bias or anything, ignore the title~). Was reading that RD stuff at the end of my shift so it's still fresh in my mind and damnit Troykv! You got me thinking of a potential moveset for Micaiah again!
She could have a charging mechanic much like Robin's Thunder but with Light, Ellight, Shine and then either Purge (super long range magic), Valaura (poisoning magic) or Nosferatu since that was a light tome in RD. Rexaura Corona could be her final smash since Rexaura is the strongest light tome and Corona is her tertiary class skill much like Ike's is Aether (granted, it's not unique to Micaiah in RD since Laura, Rhys, Oliver, Lekain and the 2nd last final boss have it) She could make use of her signature ability Sacrifice which harms her but heals another. That may sound pointless in a game like Smash but it would have its uses. Namely in teams since you could be at low % and your partner at high % and could even it out but even in 1v1s. If you're within the percent range of a kill confirm, Sacrifice could take you out of it so your opponent would have to land a raw kill move which is usually more difficult. Alternatively, you could lower your opponents % if they get past a kill confirm % if Micaiah happened to get one. With Sacrifice and Nosferatu, Micaiah would have the unique ability to swap % both ways with characters. She could also make use of staves. Heal, Mend, Physic, Recover, Fortify Matrona and the Ashera staff could be used for general healing though that may be a bit redundant with Sacrifice. Rescue could force an opponent close to you. Rewarp could be a recovery much like Palutena's or Mewtwo's. Ward could increase defenses kinda like Shulk's Shield Monado arte. Sleep could be a long range option to...well put the opponent to sleep. Restore could cure sleep or dizziness. Silence could...idk prevent the use of special moves for a bit? I'll commend anyone who can find a use for the Torch, Unlock or Hammerene staves. Alternative option for a recovery is taking another page (Ha) from Robin and using a spell to propel herself upwards. Could also add Sothe somewhere in there. Final Smash or a unique defensive option since he starts with the Guard skill or even just victory poses. And while it's overdone, Micaiah could have a counter, not specifically for being an FE character but because she has foresight in a similar vein to Shulk. Granted, her foresight is usually way further in the future but it could work. Also, her dodges could be her awesome twirl animation for when she dodges in RD. Could also make her smash attack charging animations the same as her critical start up animations in RD since tome users take for bloody ever to do a critical.

The only thing I know about no-RD Micaiah is that she uses dark tomes in Awakening cuz light wasn't an option. No knowledge on Heroes or Fates Micaiah if the latter even exists.
Tl;dr Micaiah would be a cool fighter although a lot of my ideas are ripped from Robin.
About taunt canceling.

The fact that you can do Ganondorf Sword Taunt into any of his Smash is the biggest buff he could have at the moment.

I can't wait to see the mindgame with it.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
That's what I've been saying. It's heavily opinionated to say that a franchise needs a new character.
Unlike some people here, I don't believe that DK "NEEDS" more reps. Rather, I feel that it DESERVES a new character or two. It feels incomplete with just DK and Diddy. Either K. Rool, Dixie, or both would make it feel more complete in my eyes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know the "this franchise needs more reps" argument sounds extremely petty, but I do think it should matter to Sakurai, at least to a small extent. Bigger franchises like Mario and Pokemon appeal to way more people than KI or Xenoblade, so regardless of how many deserving characters you can pull from these smaller franchises, you also have to ask yourself how many people would be excited with their addition.

I think that's part of the reason why everyone thinks Smash 4's roster is pale in comparison to Brawl's. Brawl just did a much better job of distributing characters across big and small franchises, whereas Smash 4 flooded us with a bunch of characters from more niche franchises.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Unlike some people here, I don't believe that DK "NEEDS" more reps. Rather, I feel that it DESERVES a new character or two. It feels incomplete with just DK and Diddy. Either K. Rool, Dixie, or both would make it feel more complete in my eyes.
That's a good way of phrasing it

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know the "this franchise needs more reps" argument sounds extremely petty, but I do think it should matter to Sakurai, at least to a small extent. Bigger franchises like Mario and Pokemon appeal to way more people than KI or Xenoblade, so regardless of how many deserving characters you can pull from these smaller franchises, you also have to ask yourself how many people would be excited with their addition.

I think that's part of the reason why everyone thinks Smash 4's roster is pale in comparison to Brawl's. Brawl just did a much better job of distributing characters across big and small franchises, whereas Smash 4 flooded us with a bunch of characters from more niche franchises.
I think Smash 4's newcomers were better but that makes sense. Though, we got characters from Miis, WiiFit, Animal Crossing, Mario and Pokémon so I don't know if I can say we "flooded with niche franchises".

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Otacon, what's the deal with this person? Are they a dragon or a human?

Otacon: Yes.

Snake: Yes? What do you mean by just "Yes"?

Otacon: Corrin is both human AND dragon, being a descendant of the First Dragons, having the ability to change to and from their dragon form in battle. They can even change individual body parts at will to dragon appendages, and use them to their advantage.

Snake: Individual body parts? Including their-

Otacon: YES EVEN THOSE! Let's keep this game away from being M rated, thank you very much...

Snake: Huh? What did you think I was gonna say? I was just asking about their back, they seem to be sprouting wings out of nowhere...

Otacon: ...Oh... forget what I said... Just... finish this battle...

Snake: ...okay then.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I second that, especially when I have a most wanted who is about as pipe dream as you get...
Is it more of a pipe dream than getting a Power Stone character in smash? Lol. Power Stone is so far down Capcom’s totem pole. I miss Power Stone. It and Smash debuted the same year (a month apart too) and are very unique fighting games. Honestly in the event of a reboot for Smash, a Power Stone styled Smash could be really fun imo.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
PERSONALLY I'd be all for Reimu even though I've never played Touhou. The fanbase is massive, the music is amazing and the characters are extremely well designed (though maybe all the excellent fanart gives me a bias).
Like I've stated like 15 times though, I got my Ice Climbers, I got my squidkids, pretty much everything after that is a green light from me as long as it's not even more FE.
Yeah Reimu sounds like she be fun to play as, and she not too out there, that's why I placed her icon in my signature. Y-yeah who needs more FE right? Haha.

*Tries to hide prototype sculpture of Fjorm and Micaiah Amibo to deliver to Nintendo and Sakurai *
Don't even suggest that. If people were to find out that their character of choice might have been kicked out of the roster for Corrin?

Now that'd be a ****storm.
Yeah my main doesn't need any more heat than it already gets especially anything ballot related and neither does Bayonetta. We just gotta move on and look towards bigger and brighter things in general.

D

Deleted member

Here's the deal.
Aside from what was already revealed, the only established franchises to get unique newcomers are Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Pokemon.
How does that sound?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's the deal.
Aside from what was already revealed, the only established franchises to get unique newcomers are Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Pokemon.
How does that sound?
Not bad. Characters from those would be interesting and first two didn't get last time. Also all other newcomers would be from new ones. It'sIt's more fun than keep getting characters from same franchises again and again.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's the deal.
How does that sound?
Amusing that doesn't cover DLC too, I'm cool with that.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Here's the deal.
How does that sound?
Pretty good to me really.

BWD is in (He's not in the arena's crowd as mentioned by Chandeelure Chandeelure weeks ago.

I am convinced that Miii Costumes were assests borrowed from models made for Smash Ultimate.

Now all that's left to solve are probably the Pokemon, Rayman, and Commander Video (First indie in Smash c'mon that means something, don't know what)

Oh and here's some food for though, would Tails be an assets recycle of Dixie Kong or vice versa?

- Helicopter appendages of similar length and width

- Size is comparable

- Both uses gadgets (Dummy ring bombs are dumb but... they exist)

Also how you guys feeling about Jeanne from Bayonetta as an echo?

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here's the deal.
How does that sound?
*Looks at prediction list* Actually that's close to what I'm predicting.

Unique
Inkling
Ridley
Mimikyu/Decideueye/Incinearoar
Bandanna Dee
Dixie Kong/King K. Rool
Third Party
Third Party

Echo
Daisy
Impa
Dark Samus/Chrom/Isabelle

I guess Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep could replace a third party or echo since they would be a new series.

Really the biggest losers are Ashley who I think has a solid chance and Elma who I don't think has a great chance but a lot of people predict.

Anyway yea this would be a good list of newcomers for me.

D

Deleted member

Amusing that doesn't cover DLC too, I'm cool with that.
I'm not thinking about DLC right now. Seems like jumping the gun to me.
Like, it's all but inevitable that this game will get DLC, but the game isn't even out yet and we don't really know what to expect.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...whoa. I wake up and see an extra 15 pages of this.

TL;DR.

Honestly, this 'new revelation' about the ballot changes nothing. Sakurai talked from the beginning about how each character was a few months of work, so there's no way she could have come out so soon after the ballot if she hadn't been preplanned. Especially since the licensing would be the toughest part, and she was announced right after it ended.

But who cares? Sm4sh was a ****show, and I stopped playing before the ballot ended. I would have picked it up again if I got someone I wanted, but I didn't do I left it alone.

I bet that the "disconfirmed" characters from Sm4sh did suffer a bit in the Ballot, but that didn't stop Ridley. And with the noise on K. Rool since then, I feel that we have a strong chance to get the original hype three in, which would make Ultimate infinitely better than Sm4sh by default. I know I threw votes to both of them and I think I did one each for Midna and Squirtle. I'm just a bit salty that I missed a chance to vote Dovahkiin since Skyrim wasn't announced for Switch until last year.

The only thing that makes me nervous now is that Sakurai hates spoilers so he's gonna be really careful about leaks now. I hope that means we're still getting reveals, and not that he just keeps the entire rest of the roster hidden until release.

D

Deleted member

Wait, what was the "revelation" about the ballot? I'm out of the loop and i don't feel like reading all of that.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wait, what was the "revelation" about the ballot? I'm out of the loop and i don't feel like reading all of that.
The placeholder characters in patch 1.0.6(?) had stats copied from Ike/ZSS suggesting Cloud and Bayo, and that happened right after the ballot started. So Bayo was always planned, not necessarily the winner.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Basically bayo didn't win the ballot and was planned already based on patch notes same goes for :ultcorrin:, how early is uncertain, but based on the models :ultzss: and :ultbayonetta: and the changes to :ultzss: in Ultimate, I would assume it was very early. Though based on the leaked info at-least as early as patch 1.06 I believe.

Got:ultgreninja:'d a little bit but yeah.

Also :ultcloud: is :ultike:

:ultcorrin: is also :ultike:

I guess making :ultryu: the only unique one?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The placeholder characters in patch 1.0.6(?) had stats copied from Ike/ZSS suggesting Cloud and Bayo, and that happened right after the ballot started. So Bayo was always planned, not necessarily the winner.
....Oh.
Welp, I guess another ****show is about to begin.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The revelation was that Cloud and Bayonetta were put into Smash 4 as placeholders (under Mario but using the parameters for Ike and Zero Suit Samus, respectively, these parameters gradually changed with each update until the characters were added). What this likely means is that Bayonetta was probably not the "winner", per se. Since they probably already had her planned.

People are getting upset because they feel like they were lied to (they weren't, the ballot's description was cleverly worded). We're predicting a huge blowout when somebody with clout (e.g. a youtube personality like Etika) catches wind of it and blows it out of proportion because they don't fully understand the situation.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d by CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica and Pakky Pakky .

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
The revelation was that Cloud and Bayonetta were put into Smash 4 as placeholders (under Mario but using the parameters for Ike and Zero Suit Samus, respectively, these parameters gradually changed with each update until the characters were added). What this likely means is that Bayonetta was probably not the "winner", per se. Since they probably already had her planned.

People are getting upset because they feel like they were lied to (they weren't, the ballot's description was cleverly worded). We're predictinghuge blowout when somebody with clout (e.g. a youtube personality like Etika) catches wind of it and blows it out of proportion because they don't fully understand the situation.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d by Pakky Pakky .
Or relax alex or whatever. Or Rogersbase, who I hate and like...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it's a boring, tedious, pale imitation of Banjo-Kazooie with none of its charm.

But it did give us some nice K. Rool kutscenes.
and don't forget that it also gave us that beatiful, magnificent, genre-defying wonder known as.....................the DK Rap.

HUH!

blackghost

Smash Champion
this is an example of people finding something to validate opinion and running with it.
regarding the placeholder spots for Bayo and cloud. characters are generally built of existing assesets. unless the devs are willing to take 6 months or more to create new ones. Bayo being built form zss makes sense as zss is the only feminine form that is athletic. cloud based off ike makes sense as well because cloud attacking like he has a sword like marth makes no snese and shulk wasnt a viable choice. all of that makes perfect sense

regarding the ballot when was it ever said the number one voted character would get in? a solid portion of people believed it was for a sequel as even we on smashbaords felt we were reaching the end of obvious inclusions. I dont think the ballot was a sham, i think nintendo had a majority of the votes to find a character they should choose based on poll results very early into the poll like a week or so. After that while they still counted results the dlc decision was made very early on. nitnedo language was intentionally vague. number 1 realizable character and people even to this day say nonsnese like goku won.
it doesnt matter who actually won because there's always gonna be people that doubt it to be true. I've stated my theory about why bayo would have done better than king k or dixie or geno before and ll say it again: that was the only fanbase not splitting its votes. they werent split between dixie and king k. they werent split paper mario and geno. they were only voting bayo. and she recently had a game come out.

you can hate the chaarcter all you want shes not leaving and shes not gonna be bad so youre just getting worked up over nothing.

this forum is an echo chamber full of many older nintendo fans. i was born in 1995. some of these older characters do not have the clout you think they do. especially in a poll with mostly casual voters that dont know or care about "smashboards unwritten rules for character inclusion."
overall dont really care much its a videogame. i play it to have fun and enter some competitions if a character in a videogame stresses you (most of us arent playing for income) then you may need to look inwards a bit.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Honestly, and I say this as someone who adores speculating about new smash characters, the ballot was never a good idea to begin with.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
New game, iut of all franchises in Nintendo's catalogue that do not have a character, which one deserves representation the most? Who would you pick to represent that franchise?

Here's a few franchises that lack characters...

Advance Wars
Arms
Chibi-Robo
Custom Robo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven
Sin and Punishment
Starfy

I'd have to go with Arms, it's the most relevant series.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Also food for thought the "Time Slow" Texture existed for Shadow's assist trophy at launch.

:ultbayonetta: is working with things that were in the base game.
1530626248279.jpeg
1530626285563.jpeg

Not EXACT but very similar textures.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
New game, iut of all franchises in Nintendo's catalogue that do not have a character, which one deserves representation the most? Who would you pick to represent that franchise?

Here's a few franchises that lack characters...

Advance Wars
Arms
Chibi-Robo
Custom Robo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven
Sin and Punishment
Starfy

I'd have to go with Arms, it's the most relevant series.
Golden Sun, any day.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
People call Bandanna Dee generic, but I think that's part of the appeal.

For all intents and purposes, he's a normal guy, just like you and me. He didn't have greatness thrust upon him like the other Kirby characters. No, he set out to achieve greatness through his own skill and tenacity. Bandanna Dee is nothing less than a champion of the people, for we are all as generic as him, trying alike to carve out our own niche in an unbalanced world.
My interests in Bandana Dee is low... but your points have just raised my interests in him.
Those are all likely. And maybe Celica if we're lucky to get a FE newcomer :)
Who knows, maybe they'll pick someone from the mobile game like Fjorm, If they thought their game was selling before ohhhh boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom