• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
The lack of Bandanna Dee trophy is odd though. Hopefully his recent surge in popularity helps him out a bit. I mean, even if he's not playable or an AT, at least give the little guy a trophy
Waddle Dee got a trophy in Brawl, but not 4. So who knows really.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Wait, Daroach and Masked Man were considered for Smash 4/Brawl at some point? Or are you just saying they'll probably be in the future?
i'm just saying that they're probably considered in for this game, along with many many other characters. I don't doubt that the final considerations for Smash games as of recently started at talks of like, 300 different characters before trimming it down

hell, they flat-out said assist trophies came from the whole "well we wanted to put some of these as fighters but we can't include everyone" so I'm sure Waluigi was considered, along with Saki (we'll see what happens there), Isaac, Dillon, etc etc

(p. positive Masked Man was at least considered back in Brawl)

Wambo

Smash Ace
I can attest to at least those first 3 points being false.

But either way the original source is twitter so...lol. I just found out through Gamefaqs is all.
The first three points are extremely true. I can't remember the last time I went on Gamefaqs and didn't feel legitimately saddened by something related to these.

Everyone talks about Ballot newcomers and their favorite characters, while I’m here not knowing anything.

I’m going to be honest and state my opinion but I really don’t care about a majority of “likely” ballot characters. The only ones I pushed in the ballot are Isaac and Sora and I would ascend if they are shown playable, but other than that, my other wants are characters that came after the ballot (Elma, Lycanroc, Rex and Pyra).

I don’t care or like K. Rool, Banjo, Geno, Ashley, Bandanna Dee, etc. But if people are happy with their inclusions as fan favorites, then that’s fine. I’m happy that they’re happy for their inclusions since now Smash Ultimate will be even more special to them. But they really feel bottom of the barrel to me in my opinion.

But good luck and hopefully the next reveal will show us a clearer understanding on what the roster might look like.
See, I don't think any sort of character (outside of classic anime characters) with a basic anime face has a good, likable design at all, and you mentioned all five of the major characters that have any sort of individuality/originality/creativity in their designs. I mean that's fine, but I really don't want Smash to become "battle of the sexy anime bois and waifus", with human characters flying left and right. It just wouldn't feel varied enough.

Lloyd got one, notably Bandana Dee didn't (and never got even a single trophy), so that doesn't bode well.
Bandanna Dee also doesn't have a body. A body that's necessary to translate a design well to a Mii fighter.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I consider K. Rool and Bandana Dee the two most likely Nintendo newcomers left.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
The first three points are extremely true. I can't remember the last time I went on Gamefaqs and didn't feel legitimately saddened by something related to these.
I was talking about that being untrue for this site.

Either way getting triggered at Gamefaqs doesn't make that Twitter user wrong all of a sudden lol.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So folks...

Here's a question.

Does this question change how you feel about Bayonetta in Smash? :ultbayonetta:
Late response, but it's interesting about this revelation regarding the Ballot's results being determined way earlier than they were thought to be. As for how I feel about Bayo herself in light of it, I'm not too heavily affected by it. Her inclusion led me to have a lot of fun with her games, and I still enjoy playing as her from time to time in Smash 4. But I still think that the Ballot was one confusing mess of a time for so many fans that they should have been a lot more clearer about it and what was happening, rather than leaving the whole fanbase in the dark for like six to five months after it's first announcement in April 2015.

So it'll be interesting to see if the Ballot really affected this game instead. Go Isaac, K. Rool and Ashley!

I've run out of speculation fuel for Smash Bros Ultimate anyways. I'm just gonna keep my personal wishlist of characters as just that. A wishlist. Even if none of them make it in the end as playable characters, I'm fine with just Ridley and Inklings. That's all I could ask for. And as such, farewell until December 7th.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Waddle Dee got a trophy in Brawl, but not 4. So who knows really.
By that logic, Waddle Dee did get a trophy in 4 since all the smash run enemies got trophies.

We are specifically referring to Bandana Waddle Dee.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I was talking about that being untrue for this site.

Either way getting triggered at Gamefaqs doesn't make that Twitter user wrong all of a sudden lol.
Also it doesn't invalidate the source, but the link to GameFAQs was posted to say "look how they're reacting!" To which I say: who cares because it's GameFAQs.
I literally said that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's your call man. I think Sakurai deserves the bare minimum of respect you would grant any human being; he shouldn't be harassed, sent death threats, etc. But corporations thrive off of shady business deals and will move on to the next consumer if you don't like them. Brand loyalty isn't healthy after a certain point.

It's fine to enjoy these products and the company that puts them out. But the defense is ultimately unnecessary; every SmashBoards user could boycott Smash Ultimate and the executives will still get their yearly bonuses.
You are correct, but.....
It is difficult for me to just not defend what I love.
Sometimes I just call him Banana Waffle Tea for the sake of it.
I am not surprised, considering the type of user you are. :awesome:
Speaking of Banana Pea, why does Kirby get like 20 games a year? Does HAL have nothing better to do?
Because it is their job. They want to make as much profit as possible.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
K Rool is the one lock for me (also, Simon Belmont, since the leak seems pretty legit at this point).

Bandanna Dee is in my top 5 most wanted, and he's definitely deserving, but my confidence in him has wavered a bit

Wambo

Smash Ace
Speaking of Banana Pea, why does Kirby get like 20 games a year? Does HAL have nothing better to do?
Better that he gets 20 games a year than stagnate like F-Zero...

Seriously, I want another F-Zero game/reboot so bad...

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
swap bandana dee with geno and that's honestly pretty close to my guess. though, a kirby newcomer is pretty probable; sakurai's kinda ditched his modesty with running his own company now lol.
$$$
$$$$$
$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$

hope that helps

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I literally said that.
Eh, just ignore him. The only reason he's so adamant about this subject is because he has a new basis for his rampant, unyielding Bayonetta hate. I wouldn't give him the time of day.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I literally said that.
You're reading my posts wrong. You said that nobody here gets **** on for having a dissenting opinion. I'm saying that's not definitely not true.

Eh, just ignore him. The only reason he's so adamant about this subject is because he has a new basis for his rampant, unyielding Bayonetta hate. I wouldn't give him the time of day.
Perfect example right here lmao.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
K Rool is the one lock for me (also, Simon Belmont, since the leak seems pretty legit at this point).

Bandanna Dee is in my top 5 most wanted, and he's definitely deserving, but my confidence in him has wavered a bit
I was unsure as well but I think his overwhelming popularity in Japan is going to help him a lot. You can go on 2ch and see he's mentioned in literally every Smash thread. He's both promotional and a fan favorite. I have a pretty good feeling about him.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
How will any of you feel if King K. Rool and Bandana Dee DON'T get in? I feel people are being set up for disappointment...
Very disappointed, I'm not expecting them (My expectations are always stupid levels of low) but it'd be disappointing nonetheless because they should be in and deeserve to be in imo.

I also predict the the Bayonetta Ballot thing will actually, unironically explode if that actually happened.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
How will any of you feel if King K. Rool and Bandana Dee DON'T get in? I feel people are being set up for disappointment...
Same way anyone feels when their most wanted character doesn't get in, I'd imagine. Deep disappointment.

They'd probably feel the way you would if Yoshi was removed from Smash Bros. :p

D

Deleted member

I have said this multiple times in the past.
Followed.
I guess Kirby games must be pretty cheap to make. I thought that Switch one was pretty weak for $60 though. It felt shorter than the last 3DS one.
Not because of its cheapness, just because each Kirby game HAL makes is usually a hit.
So the more games, the more money.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I just hope the new Yoshi game is not as stale as the recent Kirby game was. It really can't afford to be...
I feel like they don't have many choices outside of "DUDE WHAT IF THEY ADDED THE EXCITEBIKE GUY" or Macho Man with a fishing pole etc.

The barrel is being scraped for BIG HYPE reveals at this point, so fanservice is the next step.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Same way anyone feels when their most wanted character doesn't get in, I'd imagine. Deep disappointment.

They'd probably feel the way you would if Yoshi was removed from Smash Bros. :p
I chose those two due to the confidence of the fanbase that they'll get in. Like if Boshi didn't get in I won't even be the slightest disappointed because I'm realistic about his chances...

D

Deleted member

I do not care, I will ride until the very end.
I will not hate the game just because a giant angry crocodile and a cinnamon roll are not in the game. I will still love it either way because Ultimate still has a really good roster.

StormC

Smash Hero
I chose those two due to the confidence of the fanbase that they'll get in. Like if Boshi didn't get in I won't even be the slightest disappointed because I'm realistic about his chances...
You can have a realistic hope and be disappointed they're not in.

It's okay to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I was unsure as well but I think his overwhelming popularity in Japan is going to help him a lot. You can go on 2ch and see he's mentioned in literally every Smash thread. He's both promotional and a fan favorite. I have a pretty good feeling about him.
Maybe you're right. Time to get back on the Dee hype train. His spear move set, his adorable bandanna. How could Sakurai say no

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Very surprised, but not disappointed. I feel like both have pretty solid shots at this point.
Even though King K. Rool is currently my most wanted newcomer, I have no clue how anyone could be upset about a roster with every single Smash Bros. character in history + Ridley. We could get absolutely zero newcomers from here until release and I'd still be overjoyed with the roster.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
A lot of fanbases are confident that their character will get in. Have a chat with the Elma supporters for a bit. Or Ashley fans. Hell, you could even find some Sora fans who think the same.

All I'm saying is that their reactions will be the same across the board. They'll be disappointed as hell.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't get another DK rep. I don't even like the series that much, but I feel that it need another representative.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
If it's any condolence, I definitely think if Geno gets in that Boshi will be referenced to in some capacity.

Also, I think adding another Yoshi and F-Zero character is long overdue at this point, and with Echo Fighters, it's easier than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom