• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The characters I am at least somewhat confident in are:
K. Rool, everyone seems to love the guy ('specially here). XD
Dixie, very popular back in the day, came back with Tropical Freeze
Bandana Dee, same as K. Rool.
Ashley, super popular in Japan.
Ken, an easy, no-brainer Ryu Clone.
Tails and Shadow are the most likely Sonic Characters (whether both or just one), with Eggman coming right after.
And, if my 'hype-brewer' theory is correct, Sephiroth.

Not having a personal connection to Geno, and him being weird and nebulous as a character because of it (unlike BWD, Ashley and Ken, who I am also somewhat unfamilar with, but also know enough about them to see the potential), I don't have anything to say regarding him.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I feel like they don't have many choices outside of "DUDE WHAT IF THEY ADDED THE EXCITEBIKE GUY" or Macho Man with a fishing pole etc.

The barrel is being scraped for BIG HYPE reveals at this point, so fanservice is the next step.
They can give Yoshi new moves and deviate away from Baby Bowser for one. The Yoshi series is not lost

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Maybe you're right. Time to get back on the Dee hype train. His spear move set, his adorable bandanna. How could Sakurai say no
Here's how:
"Bandana Dee really isn't that important in Kirby Superstar, the only game I love, here, have Marx instead, he's important in the only game that matters, please enjoy the three new Kirby stages, Milky Way Wishes, Dedede's Arena and Aquarius, all from the best Kirby game"

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
How will any of you feel if King K. Rool and Bandana Dee DON'T get in? I feel people are being set up for disappointment...
I mean first of all knock on wood,

second, I'm really not positive about any character's inclusion at the moment. Even with arguments I could provide for characters I expect / want, I still have doubts about all the remaining characters' inclusions. In your specific instance, I'm somewhat blessed that I don't have a lot of emotional attachment to those two, so I wouldn't be devastated if neither got in. I don't think there are any characters I could point to right now and say without a doubt they would be included in Smash. Basically every character at this point has a relevant number of counterarguments to consider. Inkling was the only guaranteed character to get in this. I wouldn't say my expectations are low, but they sure are confusing.

Wambo

Smash Ace
How will any of you feel if King K. Rool and Bandana Dee DON'T get in? I feel people are being set up for disappointment...
Going by what Sakurai said during the direct, we have 10-12 newcomers in this game. So far we have Ridley, Daisy, and Inkling. Good characters, fan favorites (especially Ridley), and we also have all of the cut veterans.

While yes, it is still too early to get a feel for what the roster will be like, we have 7-10 more character reveals left. I believe that Sakurai doesn't want to disappoint anyone with this game, and I feel that means he's doing everything he can to put in the most popular fighters (meaning, K.Rool, Geno, Dee, etc.).

I don't think we're being set up for disappointment. Unless Sakurai became a complete hack in the time between Smash 4/Ultimate and wants to fill this game full of FE characters and dem generic anime bois/girls.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I won't lie: As a Kirby fan, I feel like Bandana Waddle Dee is an incredibly boring and safe choice compared to the other existing Kirby characters and people are really just wanting him because he's the only other one that consistently appears.

I know there are people who will disagree, but I'm way more glad we got Bowser Jr. and Rosalina over Toad and I wouldn't trade either of them for Toad.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well that's definitely an insult. I'll humor you though.

• You don't get excessive hate for giving your thoughts on a subject
  • Able to voice dissent and disagree with others without having to worry about being insulted or threatened
  • Moderators are fair and actually do their job
  • Actual discussion and general lack of circle jerks
  • Near complete lack of trolls (this one is big because GameFAQs is full of them)
Those are just some points. Smashboards isn't perfect, but I like it here much more than GameFAQs (which I was actually a part of until around a fourth of the way through Smash 4 speculation when a site error resulted in me being banned).

Also it doesn't invalidate the source, but the link to GameFAQs was posted to say "look how they're reacting!" To which I say: who cares because it's GameFAQs.
False, false, false, false and false, though trolls are usually just ****posting in socials for funsies

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The first three points are extremely true. I can't remember the last time I went on Gamefaqs and didn't feel legitimately saddened by something related to these.

See, I don't think any sort of character (outside of classic anime characters) with a basic anime face has a good, likable design at all, and you mentioned all five of the major characters that have any sort of individuality/originality/creativity in their designs. I mean that's fine, but I really don't want Smash to become "battle of the sexy anime bois and waifus", with human characters flying left and right. It just wouldn't feel varied enough.

Bandanna Dee also doesn't have a body. A body that's necessary to translate a design well to a Mii fighter.
I did say it’s my opinion. Tho, most of the characters I listed are from old games (K. Rool, Banjo, Geno) So I really don’t have a connection to them. Ashley is someone that I would rather not see in Smash. Then there’s Bandanna Dee, and well it’s a Waddle Dee and a Bandanna with a spear, but I actually like Bandanna Dee so it’s an exception.

I really like Golden Sun and Xenoblade so I generally like those characters and would want them in Smash compared to the other characters.

We all have our preferences, and luckily some of the ones we want are likely.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Here's how:
"Bandana Dee really isn't that important in Kirby Superstar, the only game I love, here, have Marx instead, he's important in the only game that matters, please enjoy the three new Kirby stages, Milky Way Wishes, Dedede's Arena and Aquarius, all from the best Kirby game"
I mean, I would not say no to Marx either. As much as I like and greatly prefer the Dee

StormC

Smash Hero
I won't lie: As a Kirby fan, I feel like Bandana Waddle Dee is an incredibly boring and safe choice compared to the other existing Kirby characters and people are really just wanting him because he's the only other one that consistently appears.

I know there are people who will disagree, but I'm way more glad we got Bowser Jr. and Rosalina over Toad and I wouldn't trade either of them for Toad.
I think Dee would be fun to play as. He has a cute, charming underdog appeal to him, and there hasn't been a spear fighter in Smash before. I definitely am not on the Toad train but I think Dee would translate really well to Smash and has pretty much become the 4th Kirby character (Mario's cast varies after the core four).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
How many disappointments did :ultridley: fans endure before he got his shot?
let's see

Melee - it wasn't too bad since most of Melee's disappointment was over who made it in instead of who didn't.

Brawl - it was pretty bad. Honestly, over Masked Man, Krystal, Ridley, Geno, and other fan favorites not being included when leak fiesta happened (K. Rool wasn't really popular until post Brawl, mostly, especially since during most of Brawl's spec we didn't have Diddy). Like, all the mods were offline on SmashBoards for a few hours so the site got clogged up with a ton of Ridley spam. I think someone is still banned to this day from it.

Sm4sh - still pretty bad but mostly stupid. Kinda was funny to watch a certain poster actually use a big slur on everyone on the forums, lol.

When Sakurai made that statement - everyone assumed "too big" didn't mean "too hard to program"

Ult - Before revealed for Ult, well, honestly a lot of memes.

Him finally being revealed - thank christ they dragged that out too long.

Slavic

Yikes, that was the most replies I've gotten to a post to date...

I don't understand. Do you think I'll be disappointed if Boshi weren't in? Far from it!!!
Nah, just gotta keep that good luck up for our wishes! Don't want to get this close and then throw our karma off or something

Wambo

Smash Ace
A lot of fanbases are confident that their character will get in. Have a chat with the Elma supporters for a bit. Or Ashley fans. Hell, you could even find some Sora fans who think the same.

All I'm saying is that their reactions will be the same across the board. They'll be disappointed as hell.
Elma supporters are people I don't understand at all. I played pretty far into Xenoblade Chronicles X, and while I liked it, it was a cheesy as **** game and Elma did little to nothing that made her stand out to me, outside of the being the only normal, non-moe "DESU-DESU" girl there. That little genius girl and Tatsu can go slit their throats and stay out of what would've been a much more kick-ass mech game without them.

I don't understand ARMS supporters either. The producer literally came out and deconfirmed their inclusion. So far, he's the only person to do this.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I think Dee would be fun to play as. He has a cute, charming underdog appeal to him, and there hasn't been a spear fighter in Smash before. I definitely am not on the Toad train but I think Dee would translate really well to Smash and has pretty much become the 4th Kirby character (Mario's cast varies after the core four).
if they do something with him being a spear fighter, sure. Until I see it and play it for myself, though, I'm not convinced. I mean, I'll have fun with him more than I would with loltoad but

meanwhile, Marx, Daroach, and Magolor would have an absurd amount of moves to draw from. Heck, even the Animal Buddies could be mechanically really interesting to see.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
On the topic of Bandana Dee, I feel like the worst detracting argument for him is when people are like "oh, you want a ****in' Goomba with a hat while we're at it?"

If that Goomba managed to make it into several Mario games, develop his own personality and moveset unique from others of his kind, and be promoted just as heavily as Mario, Luigi, and Bowser are, then **** yeah, I would want that Goomba with a hat.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
A lot of fanbases are confident that their character will get in. Have a chat with the Elma supporters for a bit. Or Ashley fans. Hell, you could even find some Sora fans who think the same.

All I'm saying is that their reactions will be the same across the board. They'll be disappointed as hell.
There are people who are seemingly very, unironically confident that Goku will be in.

I don't get it.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I did say it’s my opinion. Tho, most of the characters I listed are from old games (K. Rool, Banjo, Geno) So I really don’t have a connection to them. Ashley is someone that I would rather not see in Smash. Then there’s Bandanna Dee, and well it’s a Waddle Dee and a Bandanna with a spear, but I actually like Bandanna Dee so it’s an exception.

I really like Golden Sun and Xenoblade so I generally like those characters and would want them in Smash compared to the other characters.

We all have our preferences, and luckily some of the ones we want are likely.
I have a tin-foil hat theory regarding Issac, actually...

What if... Sakurai wanted to have Isaac manipulate the stage (as I pitched) as per his Earth Magic abilities, but couldn't get it working in time for Brawl, and the 3DS wasn't powerful enough for it?

Is it finally Isaac's time to shine?

I for one would love to see him able to create walls and spikes and stuff out of the ground.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
There are people who are seemingly very, unironically confident that Goku will be in.

I don't get it.
I guess someone out there has to be confident in his chances. Heheh.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If it's any condolence, I definitely think if Geno gets in that Boshi will be referenced to in some capacity.

Also, I think adding another Yoshi and F-Zero character is long overdue at this point, and with Echo Fighters, it's easier than ever.
In the fake leak that I made (sorry for bringing it up) I had Boshi as an assist trophy with the thought of having him steal something from the players like his friend Croco, but after reading his wiki entry I could see him being a ridable assist trophy or something.

StormC

Smash Hero
if they do something with him being a spear fighter, sure. Until I see it and play it for myself, though, I'm not convinced. I mean, I'll have fun with him more than I would with loltoad but

meanwhile, Marx, Daroach, and Magolor would have an absurd amount of moves to draw from. Heck, even the Animal Buddies could be mechanically really interesting to see.
None of those characters are really very major or recurring though. Your comparison of Rosalina and Bowser Jr. doesn't quite hold water because those characters became major Mario staples - Rosalina even became playable in a Super Mario game. It'd be more like if they added Boom Boom or something instead of Toad than the examples you provided.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Elma supporters are people I don't understand at all. I played pretty far into Xenoblade Chronicles X, and while I liked it, it was a cheesy as **** game and Elma did little to nothing that made her stand out to me, outside of the being the only normal, non-moe "DESU-DESU" girl there. That little genius girl and Tatsu can go slit their throats and stay out of what would've been a much more kick-*** mech game without them.

I don't understand ARMS supporters either. The producer literally came out and deconfirmed their inclusion. So far, he's the only person to do this.
For the case of Elma is because the story's focused on her, not the playable character and for ARMS is because the guy who disconfirmed ARMS content isn't involved with Smash development at all so people can understandably take that with a grain of salt. Like when Artsy Omni made that Rayman leak and Ubisoft said they had an announcement about that the following Tuesday. Turns out it was "It's fake but we'd love it"

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
People call Bandanna Dee generic, but I think that's part of the appeal.

For all intents and purposes, he's a normal guy, just like you and me. He didn't have greatness thrust upon him like the other Kirby characters. No, he set out to achieve greatness through his own skill and tenacity. Bandanna Dee is nothing less than a champion of the people, for we are all as generic as him, trying alike to carve out our own niche in an unbalanced world.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
just for the record: I don't think B. Waddle Dee would necessarily be a bad choice, and if they actually make the spear play more like a spear and less like a sword (like in the games), that's' awesome. I just think there's better choices and am personally hoping they won't get ignored just because of number of appearances. If the latter is the case, I do hope the series starts to bring around at least some of it's characters more consistently for rounds. At least Star Allies is a start

seriously it's frustrating, as a kirby fan, how many kirby games will go "okay so let's just have a bunch of different colors of kirby and call it a day"

On the topic of Bandana Dee, I feel like the worst detracting argument for him is when people are like "oh, you want a ****in' Goomba with a hat while we're at it?"

If that Goomba managed to make it into several Mario games, develop his own personality and moveset unique from others of his kind, and be promoted just as heavily as Mario, Luigi, and Bowser are, then **** yeah, I would want that Goomba with a hat.
it's actually a legitimate argument

I don't think it's a deal breaker, but back during Brawl days, homelessvagrant and I (along with some other old speculators) tried to look at things from every angle. I kinda jumped off ship from making a huge speculah thread during Smash 4 when I saw all subtlety of that analytical aspect lost.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
People call Bandana Dee generic, but I think that's part of the appeal. He's for all intents and purposes a normal guy, just like you or me. He didn't have greatness thrust upon him like the other Kirby characters. No, he set out to achieve greatness through his own skill and tenacity. Bandana Dee is nothing less than a champion of the people, for we are all as generic as him, trying alike to carve out our own niche in an unbalanced world.
Bandana Dee 2020

Slavic

I'll be honest, part of the reason I want Elma in Smash is I think she had a lot of missed potential in X and Smash would be a great way to supplement that for me.

The other reasons are my blinding love for XB, her sweet fighting style, the phrase 'Full Metal Jaguar', and Uncontrollable

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
In the fake leak that I made (sorry for bringing it up) I had Boshi as an assist trophy with the thought of having him steal something from the players like his friend Croco, but after reading his wiki entry I could see him being a ridable assist trophy or something.
you're fine for mentioning that. i've been tempted to bring up my meme fake leak

Also that'd be amazing.

None of those characters are really very major or recurring though. Your comparison of Rosalina and Bowser Jr. doesn't quite hold water because those characters became major Mario staples - Rosalina even became playable in a Super Mario game. It'd be more like if they added Boom Boom or something instead of Toad than the examples you provided.
touche, but,

not major - they're actually major in their game, completely unique, and advertised heavily. (the last one is starting to be a more recent thing, but hey!)

not recurring - daroach is a double timer. Marx/Magolor/Dark Matter/etc - main villain of their game. If all the ground has been covered with three characters, it's not necessary to cover more ground.

don't feel like the boom boom comparison is fair. Koopalings might be a bit more fair, sir.

edit: boom boom does have his own merch i guess but not really much of a personality. Still feeling closer on the Koopalings on this one.

edit2: also fine, you can also explain for waluigi? Waluigi has never been in a mainline game, but, he's been in every single sports game

again, not a bad choice, I'm just pointing out some of my personal takes.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You just convinced me of a Croco AT. Thanks!!!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Elma supporters are people I don't understand at all. I played pretty far into Xenoblade Chronicles X, and while I liked it, it was a cheesy as **** game and Elma did little to nothing that made her stand out to me, outside of the being the only normal, non-moe "DESU-DESU" girl there. That little genius girl and Tatsu can go slit their throats and stay out of what would've been a much more kick-*** mech game without them.

While I personally don't like Elma and as a person who has played and beaten XCX and also didn't like it, it's not especially hard to see why people would want her.
1. She's got a good design, the contrast between her skin, hair, and eyes combined with her sci-fi armor makes for a pretty memorable design
2. Her weaponry's pretty cool looking, using double guns and double shortswords
3. She's got a plethora of moves to be used which all look flashy and easily translate to a fighting environment.
4. She's also got the bonus of riding the mech and even having a canonical ultimate mech that she personally uses
5. Along with her will probably bring a stage from the game (Probably New LA)

Also, do keep in mind that Kamiya of Bayonetta fame has said multiple times on Twitter that Bayonetta's not getting into Smash and if you ask him stupid questions like that, he'll block you on twitter.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Xenoblade deserves another rep at this point.

(and if it was Elma and not Rex/Prya that would be great...)

StormC

Smash Hero
Like I said, BDee has a definite underdog appeal. A mook with a spear keeps up with the legendary Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight. That makes him endearing in contrast to the original trio. He stands out because he doesn't stand out.

Staarih

Smash Master
Elma supporters are people I don't understand at all.

I don't understand ARMS supporters either.
I mean, I guess all you have to ”understand” is that people have different opinions and might see something in those characters that you don’t.

But speaking of favorite characters, I have plenty I would like to see in Smash, but I don’t want to invest too much in them - it’s just a video game after all. I’ll just be glad of we get a varied roster with fun characters.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Like I said, BDee has a definite underdog appeal. A mook with a spear keeps up with the legendary Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight. That makes him endearing in contrast to the original trio. He stands out because he doesn't stand out.
fair enough, that makes me get why people like the character a bit more. I've already vouched my preferences and could go on all day about the cool characters, but honestly, if Bandana Waddle Dee makes it in, I won't be mad at all

...just give me a new kirby stage that's not from super star like jesus is it that hard

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Xenoblade deserves another rep at this point.

(and if it was Elma and not Rex/Prya that would be great...)
I've played X but I don't think Elma should be in Smash. She is not that appealing of a character. I think Rex will definitely be dlc though.

Wambo

Smash Ace

I don't get it.
I could see Goku being the very last character in the very last Smash game as the last DLC, but I don't think he'll be in Ultimate. I mean, it'd be mind-blowing I guess, but I agree with the majority of people on Smashboards... he's an actual anime character, and he never originated from a game.

I mean, it'd be different if James Bond was in Smash 64 all those years ago, but now everyone views Smash as a celebration of exclusively anything Nintendo/game-related.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom