• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Honestly I doubt it. Reggie may have said Nintendo is still going "all in" on amiibo, but they've also said they're continuing 3DS support well into 2019 despite the system being on life support.

The bubble has long since burst for Toys to Life. Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Lego Dimensions are all discontinued. Stores like Walmart and most GameStops don't have dedicated TTL shelfspace anymore. Even with amiibo themselves, the enormous Animal Crossing line flopped so hard that if you found a mint condition Tom Nook for over three dollars, you were getting conned. Amiibo support has since been smaller, with the only other notably big series since being the Zelda line. Everything else comes in small batches of 2-3 amiibo for a specific game.

I don't see them making another Mario or Mewtwo or Marth or Mac. Besides returning veterans and newcomers, the only new ones I can see are additional "Player 2" versions for Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Ike, and maybe female Robin and Alph.
Well, new Zelda's basically the only one I was interested in (maybe Ivysaur if he gets a solo). I never did much with their in-game applications, but they're nice looking on an entertainment system, and it's p-robably for the best the style of gaming fades away.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Honestly I doubt it. Reggie may have said Nintendo is still going "all in" on amiibo, but they've also said they're continuing 3DS support well into 2019 despite the system being on life support.

The bubble has long since burst for Toys to Life. Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Lego Dimensions are all discontinued. Stores like Walmart and most GameStops don't have dedicated TTL shelfspace anymore. Even with amiibo themselves, the enormous Animal Crossing line flopped so hard that if you found a mint condition Tom Nook for over three dollars, you were getting conned. Amiibo support has since been smaller, with the only other notably big series since being the Zelda line. Everything else comes in small batches of 2-3 amiibo for a specific game.

I don't see them making another Mario or Mewtwo or Marth or Mac. Besides returning veterans and newcomers, the only new ones I can see are additional "Player 2" versions for Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Ike, and maybe female Robin and Alph.
also, reggie is a business man. It's kinda Reggie's job to say stuff that looks at least somewhat optimistic all the time even if everything is on fire.

(...opo do you use your discord i've been trying to add you on there)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, to shamelessly plug myself for a bit. I made a thread for my Newcomer Proposal Game, by the suggestion of another user on another thread. Anyone who wants to play can hop on over there and do so.

I will now get to reading everything I missed in this thread while I was composing that thread.

I'd say it isn't bad for my first official thread here.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
There's a lot of iffy co-owned characters in hindsight-Waluigi and Isaac are part Camelot, Vaati is part Capcom, Geno, Mallow and Culex part Square, Linkle(might be) part Tecmo-Koei....
Each contract will be unique, though I would imagine the newer the character, the more likely the contract specifies all work-for-hire is owned wholly by Nintendo. It's always been pretty weird that Square was allowed to keep ownership of their original characters in SMRPG, but if any of these companies were big enough to get the contract written that way, it'd be them. I can at least say that Vaati is very much 100% owned by Nintendo, since Four Swords Adventures was a Nintendo EAD joint with no Capcom credits.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Geno is Square-Enix property and they created him. I think due to licensing issues Geno would not be classified as a Mario character. I could be wrong
I think he'll have a considered to be a different series like Yoshi and Wario.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
also, reggie is a business man. It's kinda Reggie's job to say stuff that looks at least somewhat optimistic all the time even if everything is on fire.

(...opo do you use your discord i've been trying to add you on there)
I'm like never on discord anymore lol. If ever I do go on it's for two seconds then I'm gone again. :p
Well, new Zelda's basically the only one I was interested in (maybe Ivysaur if he gets a solo). I never did much with their in-game applications, but they're nice looking on an entertainment system, and it's p-robably for the best the style of gaming fades away.
Personally I'd definitely spring for Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, solo Red if it happens, and maybe the Triforce Trio (mainly Zelda and Ganondorf).

Wambo

Smash Ace
It's GameFAQs, the lowest common denominator of Smash speculation.

Who cares what they have to say? They're just watered down 4chan.
That's not even the best insult for GameFAQs. They're like a watered down 4chan that nobody goes to anymore.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I seriously think Geno will be in Smash Ultimate. I'm NOT SURE IF 3 Square-Enix characters will be in Smash tho (R.I.P SORA). Who knows tho eh?

Edit: It doesn't help that Bayonetta literally destroyed the Metagame in Smash 4 with her inclusion though.
I think Geno is one of the likeliest newcomers at this point., from Sakurai's statements, the Mii costume, and the revelation how Smash Ultimate stuff was planned since some point in Smash 4 DLC development and the certainty that the Ballot was used for Ultimate. I'm quite amazed how I used to think Geno was a hopeless ridiculous dream only held by a few too vocal fans, to now being a character I would bet on if I had to.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Everyone talks about Ballot newcomers and their favorite characters, while I’m here not knowing anything.

I’m going to be honest and state my opinion but I really don’t care about a majority of “likely” ballot characters. The only ones I pushed in the ballot are Isaac and Sora and I would ascend if they are shown playable, but other than that, my other wants are characters that came after the ballot (Elma, Lycanroc, Rex and Pyra).

I don’t care or like K. Rool, Banjo, Geno, Ashley, Bandanna Dee, etc. But if people are happy with their inclusions as fan favorites, then that’s fine. I’m happy that they’re happy for their inclusions since now Smash Ultimate will be even more special to them. But they really feel bottom of the barrel to me in my opinion.

But good luck and hopefully the next reveal will show us a clearer understanding on what the roster might look like.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It's GameFAQs, the lowest common denominator of Smash speculation.

Who cares what they have to say? They're just watered down 4chan.
Please tell me how this place is so much better then.

And even then how does that suddenly invalidate the original source which is from twitter? lol

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
So....

i was right along

king k rool may have really ben the most voted for

so he did lied
We can't really say that as we simply do not have the ballot results and probably never will. It's assumption at best.

Well.....isn’t this a juicy little development. I think what @Swamp Sensei said about the ballot is more than likely very accurate. I’m not the least bit surprised to find out Bayo was NOT the true ballot winner lol who was? That might not ever be shown at this point, Nintendo would have to do backpedaling
Generally when big companies collect that kind of information from their customers they usually do not release it to the general public. This is because the public tends to make assumptions on what the collected data means or feels entitled to try to force an organization to follow the highest voted option which is not always the best route when running one's business. There is a certain risk of only doing what your customer's tell you as your general consumer will not attempt to grasp any complications with a given choice or often time doesn't think it through. Rather you usually collect the data and look for particular trends or bullet points that can be taken away from it.

Meta Knight got it too, there were even people hoping Meta Knight would get cut. Then Ice Climbers got the same, yet so many complained when they actually got cut and wanted them back, despite ICs being potentially the most unpopular character in Smash and barely anyone playing them that weren't just abusing their broken chain grabs in competitive play.
Frankly, this is simply the reality of most things in life. In general, people don't know what the hell they want until you take said thing away from them. The Smash Community has this attribute to a major degree.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I feel like they'd just put Geno in the Mario series to not make it complicated. Unless Square has an issue with that. Giving Geno his own category would be weird

D

Deleted member

You all sleep on Bandanna Dee's chances.
He is probably the top three of the most likely fighters.
He is getting more popular, he is from Sakurai's game and he has a big fanbase.
Everyone was really happy when Ridley was in, considering he had a lot of supporters. Bandanna Dee has growing supporters as well, so I am sure Sakurai and his team want to open more hype. King K. Rool is also very likely.
People on this forum sometimes act like Sakurai is their kindly old neighbor and Nintendo is some upstart little company that needs all the support it can.

They're businessmen. Their job is to make their bottomline look as nice as possible that year. We pay them money for their products.

Sakurai is a person and deserves as much respect as any artist - but he's a big boy. And Nintendo is a faceless corporation. They aren't your friend.
Ah, I see what you mean.
I know Sakurai could care less about me, but I like to help out the person who worked hard on the game as well as the company by defending them in this thread. I know they will not see it and will not care, but I like to show my gratitude.

Either way, you are smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, what were those unique characters from Mario Party that never appeared outside of it?
You have Solgaleo and Lunaga's parents, the weird hat guy, and reused Paper Mario characters. I think that's it?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm like never on discord anymore lol. If ever I do go on it's for two seconds then I'm gone again. :p

Personally I'd definitely spring for Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, solo Red if it happens, and maybe the Triforce Trio (mainly Zelda and Ganondorf).
the heck are you on for IMing then? if nothing, I will literally start a message convo with you on here. no joke. missed ya brudda

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Please tell me how this place is so much better then.

And even then how does that suddenly invalidate the original source which is from twitter? lol
Well that's definitely an insult. I'll humor you though.

• You don't get excessive hate for giving your thoughts on a subject
  • Able to voice dissent and disagree with others without having to worry about being insulted or threatened
  • Moderators are fair and actually do their job
  • Actual discussion and general lack of circle jerks
  • Near complete lack of trolls (this one is big because GameFAQs is full of them)
Those are just some points. Smashboards isn't perfect, but I like it here much more than GameFAQs (which I was actually a part of until around a fourth of the way through Smash 4 speculation when a site error resulted in me being banned).

Also it doesn't invalidate the source, but the link to GameFAQs was posted to say "look how they're reacting!" To which I say: who cares because it's GameFAQs.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If we're going off of Mii Costumes...

Ashley, Chrom, K Rool, Geno, Viridi, Isabelle, Skull Kid as possible newcomers? They all seemed pretty likely. Any other major Mii Costumes?

Slavic

I mean, what were those unique characters from Mario Party that never appeared outside of it?
You have Solgaleo and Lunaga's parents, the weird hat guy, and reused Paper Mario characters. I think that's it?
there was this beloved mascot of MP3 (Mario Party, not the file format)

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I've noticed that nobody ever spells Bandana Dee correctly. I'm even guilty of that sometimes...
Badnana Dee...
Bandanna Dee...
Badana Dee...

Haven't seen Banana Dee yet, though

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Ashley, Chrom, K Rool, Geno, Viridi, Isabelle, Skull Kid as possible newcomers? They all seemed pretty likely. Any other major Mii Costumes?
Lloyd got one, notably Bandana Dee didn't (and never got even a single trophy), so that doesn't bode well.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Well that's definitely an insult. I'll humor you though.

• You don't get excessive hate for giving your thoughts on a subject
  • Able to voice dissent and disagree with others without having to worry about being insulted
  • Moderators are fair and actually do their job
  • Actual discussion and general lack of circle jerks
  • Overall lack of trolls (this one is big because GameFAQs is full of them)
Those are just some points. Smashboards isn't perfect, but I like it here much more than GameFAQs (which I was actually a part of until around a fourth of the way through Smash 4 speculation when a site error resulted in me being banned).
I can attest to at least those first 3 points being false.

But either way the original source is twitter so...lol. I just found out through Gamefaqs is all.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
know Sakurai could care less about me, but I like to help out the person who worked hard on the game as well as the company by defending them in this thread. I know they will not see it and will not care, but I like to show my gratitude.

Either way, you are smart.
That's your call man. I think Sakurai deserves the bare minimum of respect you would grant any human being; he shouldn't be harassed, sent death threats, etc. But corporations thrive off of shady business deals and will move on to the next consumer if you don't like them. Brand loyalty isn't healthy after a certain point.

It's fine to enjoy these products and the company that puts them out. But the defense is ultimately unnecessary; every SmashBoards user could boycott Smash Ultimate and the executives will still get their yearly bonuses.

Slavic

Lloyd got one, notably Bandana Dee didn't (and never got even a single trophy), so that doesn't bode well.
Trophy is a decent point, but Lloyd is a lot easier to make a Mii costume for than Bandana Dee, I think the only non-humanoid costumes (aside from cat and bear suits) was for Toad and...

probably for the best we didn't get a Waddle Dee in that manner

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
That's your call man. I think Sakurai deserves the bare minimum of respect you would grant any human being; he shouldn't be harassed, sent death threats, etc. But corporations thrive off of shady business deals and will move on to the next consumer if you don't like them. Brand loyalty isn't healthy after a certain point.

It's fine to enjoy these products and the company that puts them out. But the defense is ultimately unnecessary; every SmashBoards user could boycott Smash Ultimate and the executives will still get their yearly bonuses.
also as an addendum, sakurai and the other managers are already pretty generous compared to most gaming companies. if your favorite character didn't get in, chances are, and i assure you, they were probably considered

masked man? considered
daroach? considered
ridley? considered (and made it)
krystal? considered (and became an AT)
geno? considered
k. rool? considered

I could go on obnoxiously long. compare it to, say, the mess that happened with MvC:I and we'd be talking about a much different story

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Trophy is a decent point, but Lloyd is a lot easier to make a Mii costume for than Bandana Dee, I think the only non-humanoid costumes (aside from cat and bear suits) was for Toad and...

We did though in the streetpass plaza:

It's pretty cute.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Black Knight from Fire Emblem got one too.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

The lack of Bandanna Dee trophy is odd though. Hopefully his recent surge in popularity helps him out a bit. I mean, even if he's not playable or an AT, at least give the little guy a trophy

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've noticed that nobody ever spells Bandana Dee correctly. I'm even guilty of that sometimes...
Badnana Dee...
Bandanna Dee...
Badana Dee...

Haven't seen Banana Dee yet, though
Sometimes I just call him Banana Waffle Tea for the sake of it.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
also as an addendum, sakurai and the other managers are already pretty generous compared to most gaming companies. if your favorite character didn't get in, chances are, and i assure you, they were probably considered

masked man? considered
daroach? considered
ridley? considered (and made it)
krystal? considered (and became an AT)
geno? considered
k. rool? considered

I could go on obnoxiously long. compare it to, say, the mess that happened with MvC:I and we'd be talking about a much different story
Wait, Daroach and Masked Man were considered for Smash 4/Brawl at some point? Or are you just saying they'll probably be in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom