• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Bandana Dee is the only Kirby character in with a chance, but I also think his chances are being overrated quite a bit, if the amount of unique newcomer spots are fairly limited I think they'll want to go purely with heavy-hitters, and I'm not sure he has the X-factor to make it in that scenario as he's essentially the 4th wheel of his series. Kirby is a popular enough franchise that it could still happen of course, and I really hope that it does, but I'm not confident that it will, I think he might have a better chance as DLC where Star Allies will be taking into equation.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
On another topic, who wants to see an abomination of nature?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I could see Elma being Sakurai's passion character so to speak. She's not extremely popular but he's interested in her move set. And didn't he like X? Plus it came out right about the finalization of Ultimate

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I could see Elma being Sakurai's passion character so to speak. She's not extremely popular but he's interested in her move set. And didn't he like X? Plus it came out right about the finalization of Ultimate
If he was so passionate about Elma he would've added her instead of Corrin

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I think Bandana Dee is the only Kirby character in with a chance, but I also think his chances are being overrated quite a bit, if the amount of unique newcomer spots are fairly limited I think they'll want to go purely with heavy-hitters, and I'm not sure he has the X-factor to make it in that scenario as he's essentially the 4th wheel of his series. Kirby is a popular enough franchise that it could still happen of course, and I really hope that it does, but I'm not confident that it will, I think he might have a better chance as DLC where Star Allies will be taking into equation.
this, mostly.

asides from the fact that I think this is underrating Sakurai's bias and the Kirby team for other possibilities from the Kirby hat, this.

On another topic, who wants to see an abomination of nature?

nani?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It came out in March or April in Japan. They could've easily added Elma over Corrin.
Eh...I think Corrin probably was a safer pick for what they wanted. Also, I doubt she could've been done on 3DS if they did her Final Smash.

StormC

Smash Hero
When it comes to Nintendo characters, there are very few left with "X-Factor." I would argue K. Rool is the only one, maybe Geno if you consider him a Nintendo character. So I don't think that really matters anyway unless we're literally only getting 1-2 more newcomers.

Bandana Dee I feel occupies an interesting middle ground between "fan favorite" and "promotional" character. HAL has been pushing him hard and he already had a solid resume by the time the design document was decided on. His popularity in Japan is fairly noticeable and I feel Sakurai will want to honor Japanese requests the way he honored the west with Ridley. He's similar to Inklings in that he's a safe, marketable choice that would please fans.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I said this a loooooooong time ago but Corrin makes far more sense for DLC than any Xenoblade character. FE sales have absolutely dwarfed XB sales. Based on the previous entries for each series, picking a character to promote FE over XB is a no brainer, especially since XBX was on the Wii U and Fates on the 3DS. Basically, the slot Corrin filled would not make sense for Elma/any other Xeno character to come close to

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Why an Assist Trophy instead of a Poke Ball?
so I talked with Sakurai, and he felt that since Gengar was popular in Pokken, he would be better suited as an assist trophy. the staff asked him "why? that makes no sense" he was like "well, pokemon finally deserves to have an assist trophy, okay?"

D

Deleted member

so I talked with Sakurai, and he felt that since Gengar was popular in Pokken, he would be better suited as an assist trophy. the staff asked him "why? that makes no sense" he was like "well, pokemon finally deserves to have an assist trophy, okay?"
Was Hex Maniac with him?
PYqueJL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Bandana Dee, I feel like the worst detracting argument for him is when people are like "oh, you want a ****in' Goomba with a hat while we're at it?"

If that Goomba managed to make it into several Mario games, develop his own personality and moveset unique from others of his kind, and be promoted just as heavily as Mario, Luigi, and Bowser are, then **** yeah, I would want that Goomba with a hat.

This guy makes it over your most requested newcomer, wyd?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I don't see the beef with B. Waddle Dee. Even if Waddle Dees are a generic enemy in Kirby, they're still the secondary mascot of the Kirby series and B.W.D has a good attendance record, a fanbase and spear+parasol. The generic enemy unit thing kind of falls flat when you remember just how instrumental Waddle Dees are to the Kirby series.
I personally think Marx would be cooler but there's no real reason we can't have both. Kirby is up there as a Nintendo IP, why shouldn't they get more fighters?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don't see the beef with B. Waddle Dee. Even if Waddle Dees are a generic enemy in Kirby, they're still the secondary mascot of the Kirby series and B.W.D has a good attendance record, a fanbase and spear+parasol. The generic enemy unit thing kind of falls flat when you remember just how instrumental Waddle Dees are to the Kirby series.
I personally think Marx would be cooler but there's no real reason we can't have both. Kirby is up there as a Nintendo IP, why shouldn't they get more fighters?
Kirby probably deserves more reps. We get like 2 Kirby games a year. If there were more spots I could see Bandanna Dee and either Marx or Magolor getting in

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Was Hex Maniac with him?
yeah i think so! some emo girl basically comes out, throws Gengar out from her arms, and runs away

people always forget that smash is purely made on fanservice as well. like, honestly, you could yolo and give kirby 5-7 fighters and at the end of the day, nobody would care and the game would still sell like hotcakes

StormC

Smash Hero
Marx is gonna probably miss the boat thanks to timing but if he continues to appear in Kirby and if Bandana Dee gets into Ultimate he will be a frontrunner for Smash 6, I am sure.

I don't think Kirby "needs" more reps for the sake of them. I think right now it's missing one of its main characters. It didn't need more reps back in Brawl because it had its core cast assembled. That has changed now.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Marx is gonna probably miss the boat thanks to timing but if he continues to appear in Kirby and if Bandana Dee gets into Ultimate he will be a frontrunner for Smash 6, I am sure.

I don't think Kirby "needs" more reps for the sake of them. I think right now it's missing one of its main characters. It didn't need more reps back in Brawl because it had its core cast assembled. That has changed now.
i hate myself and whoever joined me to this day for making "reps" the used phrase for characters

that said, fanservice: the video game

like, we don't even really need any characters with our current roster but here we are

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Corrin wasn't just Sakurai's decision, he discussed with Nintendo higherups on who the promotional DLC character should be and from their input Corrin came out of it. As for why Fire Emblem Fates was the game Nintendo wanted to promote and not Xenoblade X in Smash, who knows, but regardless I don't think Corrin being chosen for Smash 4 DLC is a detriment to Elma's chances.

StormC

Smash Hero
i hate myself and whoever joined me to this day for making "reps" the used phrase for characters

that said, fanservice: the video game

like, we don't even really need any characters with our current roster but here we are
I'm just saying it's likely most of the characters were already decided on by early 2016 based on the information we have. Marx was not remotely considered a contender for Smash until the Dream Friend DLC happened early this year. Now he does have support - is it going to fade out like a lot of flavor of the month characters, or will he continue to make major appearances and maintain his fanbase?

Sakurai can't use a time machine here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really, really, really hope this stuff about the ballot doesn't blow up at all.
Sakurai's had too much with people harassing him on twitter. I mean, the guy has put himself in the hospital making the games. Last thing he deserves is being called a liar/etc.
It's already got a lot of attention. A public implication that the Ballot was not used for Smash 3DS & Wii U DLC is a big deal to a lot of people since most people did not know about this until now even though we got information on this as early as 2016. It's just that this is hard to find since this is not the type of information the average person would be able to discover seeing as Ruben_dal, the person who publicized the information, is a dataminer.

Also, let's be real, even if this receives mainstream attention, it's not going to affect Nintendo's bottom line at all. Had this come out in 2016 when it was first discovered, maybe it would have been PR disaster. The thing is, it's been years since the ballot ended and we're already hyping SSBU, which so far looks incredible, so this will only serve as a blip in the radar. It's still not going to prevent it from likely being the best selling Smash game ever. Nor will Sakurai feel personally affected by this news. He knew what he was doing when he used Zero Suit Samus as a base for Bayonetta during the early weeks of the Ballot. If this gets back to Sakurai, he's not going to cry about it or feel remorse because of mean words people say to him. In fact, he'll laugh it off and remember what a marketing genius this was.

Advertise a ballot to gain the attention of dedicated Nintendo fans in hopes of getting their favorite character in. All the while, he hedges his bet on Bayonetta doing "well enough" to pass off as a ballot winner which she does then confirms her and Corrin in December. Then he uses the results from the ballot to influence the roster for Ultimate with big additions like all veterans returning, Ridley as a newcomer, and more not yet confirmed.

We shouldn't put this under the rug because this is a topic worth discussing, there are characters Sakurai deemed "unrealizable" that for whatever reason, are showing up now instead of as DLC. With more newcomers left to unveil that bodes well for characters like King K. Rool. We are seeing a winning advertising strategy difficult to pull off without a PR disaster.
Japan's Ridley? Probably Ashley, she's huge over there.
May I please get a source for Ashley's popularity? I hear this all the time but I can't seem to get anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom