• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whelp that situation doesn't bode well for King K. Rool being a playable character lol.
In fairness, Star Fox as a series is in an awkward position right now. They apparently can't add any new characters, yet don't want the series to lack anything new in Smash. If worse comes to worst DKC can still just have Dixie as a new addition.

Though it still beats F-Zero not getting much that's significant yet again.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I want K. Rool as much as the next guy, but I will believe it when I see it. Despite him being the favorite from all of the fake leaks, I'm going to think of him the same as I did Ridley - I won't believe it until I see a victory screen.

But I so want to see all three of the Sm4sh era 'Hype Three' in the game

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I support K. Rool, and that's that. I want him in the game. If he doesn't get in, oh well, maybe next time. Unlike most people here, I'm not assuming that he has a high chance or a low chance of getting in compared to other characters, he just has a chance to get in. If X character that you support gets in instead of K. Rool, then congrats. This is getting ridiculous...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I want K. Rool as much as the next guy, but I will believe it when I see it. Despite him being the favorite from all of the fake leaks, I'm going to think of him the same as I did Ridley - I won't believe it until I see a victory screen.

But I so want to see all three of the Sm4sh era 'Hype Three' in the game
Was MegaMan the third in that one? I feel like I've heard different version (one was an elite four with Mewtwo as the champion lol).

As for King K. Rool he has the ballot on his side and that's it. I feel like DK fans will be happy to see either him or Dixie and I'm almost positive we will get one of them. Besides relevancy another issue about the King is we know Sakurai is more stubborn on villian characters and is more likely to add a protagonist, but who knows! As long as we get a new DK character I'll be happy.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Popularity by itself does not gauge how likely a character is. Our favorite Kremling king has plenty of hurdles to jump over if he wants to get in Smash, and his massive popularity alone isn't enough to automatically clear them for him.

...And why are we considering Krystal's AT to be something that makes K. Rool more likely? If anything, that hurts his chances.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I feel like DK fans will be happy to see either him or Dixie and I'm almost positive we will get one of them.
King K. Rool: Funky Kong, you just flew in to crash my party?

Then it breaks into a musical like the DKC show

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I mentioned the protagonist thing and this sort of interested me, how many characters were not truly playable in their series at the time of their addition to the series.

Well here you go: :ultbowser::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultpalutena::ultsheik::ultridley::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultzelda:
13 characters or just under 20% of the cast.

Some things of note
- You technically do get to play as the Pokemon. I didn't want to count 7+ characters just on a technicallity.
- Bowser didn't really have any playable roles outside of racing and sports at the time (There was Super Mario RPG but I don't know if that should count as a main series title). On the other hand Daisy is primarily a spin off character so her playability in that counts.
- Rob, Wii Fit, and Duck Hunt were hard to gauge but I decided they technically aren't playable. I believe you are playing as Dr. Mario in the puzzle game.

Thoughts? I mostly just did this to see if I was correct on Sakurai preferring characters players are familiar playing as (didn't he say something like that?) And that's mostly the case. It's interesting though that 5 of the 13 are from Smash 4 / Ultimate so maybe he's changing his mind/running out of playable protagonists.

Edit: ACTUALLY At the time of Melee Super Mario Bros. 2 was still an American/European exclusive right? So maybe Peach is in the same boat as Bowser....but her Moveset does allude to SMB2, am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
"This character is irrelevant" - Thread that spends 80% of it's time talking about said character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mentioned the protagonist thing and this sort of interested me, how many characters were not truly playable in their series at the time of their addition to the series.

Well here you go: :ultbowser::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultpalutena::ultsheik::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultzelda:
15 characters or about 20% of the cast.

Some things of note
- You technically do get to play as the Pokemon. I didn't want to count 7+ characters just on a technicallity.
- Bowser didn't really have any playable roles outside of racing and sports at the time (There was Super Mario RPG but I don't know if that should count as a main series title). On the other hand Daisy is primarily a spin off character so her playability in that counts.
- Rob, Wii Fit, and Duck Hunt were hard to gauge but I decided they technically aren't playable. I believe you are playing as Dr. Mario in the puzzle game.

Thoughts? I mostly just did this to see if I was correct on Sakurai preferring characters players are familiar playing as (didn't he say something like that?) And that's mostly the case. It's interesting though that 6 of the 15 are from Smash 4 / Ultimate so maybe he's changing his mind/running out of playable protagonists.

Edit: ACTUALLY At the time of Melee Super Mario Bros. 2 was still an American/European exclusive right? So maybe Peach is in the same boat as Bowser....but her Moveset does allude to SMB2, am I missing something here?
I'm fairly certain you played as King Dedede for one stage in Kirby 64.

Edit: Yet everyone and their mother is a selectable racer in F-Zero, and is still lacking for representatives. It makes you wonder if anyone outside of the 4 poster boys (Cpt. Falcon, Dr. Stewart, Samurai Goroh and Pico) even stand a chance at all, putting aside having to give them creative movesets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You are assuming he is as popular overall as he is online.

Keep mind that children and people outside of Nintendo's base voted too. Dixie may have been a silent leader from DKC for all we know.
About Dixie "may have been a silent leader from DKC"...

The biggest spike King K. Rool received was during the opening months of the Ballot and his Mii Costume revelation. The silent majority argument holds no water.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

The biggest spike King K. Rool received was during the opening months of the Ballot and his Mii Costume revelation. The silent majority argument holds no water.
Wouldn't the entire concept of a silent majority (as in, not vocal in online support) effectively render Google Trends useless?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Is that so?! I didn't okay I was just assuming....is anyone aware if it was actually enough to get a feel for the character...I guess that's subjective lol
You use the staff “Dark Pit’s Staff” instead of Pit’s bow (or claws, or sword, or Other staff).

You have access to all of your abilities as Pit I believe (so electroshock arm, reflect).

Staves in Uprising had completely different melee attacks than bows (which fought like Pit in Smash) and at range could be used as sniper rifles.

But I think you could still change to any of Pit’s weapons. I don’t know, I really should replay the level and check.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm fairly certain you played as King Dedede for one stage in Kirby 64.

Edit: Yet everyone and their mother is a selectable racer in F-Zero, and is still lacking for representatives. It makes you wonder if anyone outside of the 4 poster boys (Cpt. Falcon, Dr. Stewart, Samurai Goroh and Pico) even stand a chance at all, putting aside having to give them creative movesets.
Ehhhhhgghhghghhghhh you're still playing as Kirby riding Kingdedede....it probably should count......ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Also yea I've always thought we won't get more F-Zero characters because moveset potential. Now the series is basically dead and Samurai Gorih who arguably has the best moveset potential is deconfirmed.
Meta Knight was playable in Nightmare in Dreamland's Meta Knightmare mode.
Dude, he's Pit but edgier, he'd play just like Pit.
I've changed the list for these two. Maybe I'll change it for King De too...anyway my point was that normally only playable characters get chosen.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion

Keep mind that children and people outside of Nintendo's base voted too. Dixie may have been a silent leader from DKC for all we know.

Does this mythic casual not use Google? I am inclined to believe that these people you're talking about threw away votes on characters such as Goku and Shrek who people are insistent on becoming the "unrealizable" characters who supposedly beat Bayonetta. Also keep in mind that almost every hardcore has voted multiple times in one way or another.

Dixie was far more irrelevant than K. Rool before Tropical Freeze. There is an 18 year gap of her not appearing in anything other than cameos, remakes, and spin offs between DKC3 and Tropical Freeze, while K. Rool makes consistent mainline appearances from 1994-2007. One advertisement undoes an entire history of irrelevance, apparently. The only games K. Rool missed out on that were particularly notable were two games by Retro. These games have incredibly simplistic stories, and don't have room for a second villain if Retro wants to try to make new antagonists. There is no greater conspiracy. Jungle Beat is the other game he missed out on, and that has absolutely zero DK characters other than DK, it may as well be a different IP entirely.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't the entire concept of a silent majority (as in, not vocal in online support) effectively render Google Trends useless?
The problem with this argument is that you're now shifting the "silent majority" to refer to people who not only do not actively post online but do not use google or otherwise look at Smash Bros related content on the internet. ie, a group of people that were very unlikely to have bothered vote in the ballot in the first place.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Is that so?! I didn't okay I was just assuming....is anyone aware if it was actually enough to get a feel for the character...I guess that's subjective lol
You go through a whole chapter mostly consisting of flying due to Pit going through...hard times in a way (so bad it practically broke Palutena)...where you have to go to the Rewind Spring to save him (and himself) until you get into a boss fight with the great Pandora
Dude, he's Pit but edgier, he'd play just like Pit.
What he said...edgy

Well here you go: :ultbowser::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultpalutena::ultsheik::ultridley::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultzelda:

Some things of note

Thoughts? I mostly just did this to see if I was correct on Sakurai preferring characters players are familiar playing as (didn't he say something like that?) And that's mostly the case. It's interesting though that 5 of the 13 are from Smash 4 / Ultimate so maybe he's changing his mind/running out of playable protagonists.

Rosalina was playable in Galaxy 2 (well...her cosmic spirit that is) and Mario 3D World (a month before she was announced for Smash)
You use the staff “Dark Pit’s Staff” instead of Pit’s bow (or claws, or sword, or Other staff).

You have access to all of your abilities as Pit I believe (so electroshock arm, reflect).

Staves in Uprising had completely different melee attacks than bows (which fought like Pit in Smash) and at range could be used as sniper rifles.

But I think you could still change to any of Pit’s weapons. I don’t know, I really should replay the level and check.
Pit and Dark Pit both use the exact same weapons (Pit can even use the Pittoo Staff and Pittoo can use the Palutena Bow). Only thing Dark Pit can’t use (for storyline and ownership reasons) are both the Three and Great Sacred Treasures.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The problem with this argument is that you're now shifting the "silent majority" to refer to people who not only do not actively post online but do not use google or otherwise look at Smash Bros related content on the internet. ie, a group of people that were very unlikely to have bothered vote in the ballot in the first place.
That implies people would have the need to google the characters they want. What need would there be for that?

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
That implies people would have the need to google the characters they want. What need would there be for that?
I don't disagree with you on this point; only on the fact that a "silent majority" would still influence Google Trends on something like this. But what Google Trends does show is a spike of public awareness in the character.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace

Some things of note

Unless I'm mistaken, Rosalina was playable in 3D World before Smash 4 was released. Heck,wasn't she revealed to be playable in the same Nintendo Direct as her Smash reveal trailer?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Does this mythic casual not use Google? I am inclined to believe that these people you're talking about threw away votes on characters such as Goku and Shrek who people are insistent on becoming the "unrealizable" characters who supposedly beat Bayonetta. Also keep in mind that almost every hardcore has voted multiple times in one way or another.

Dixie was far more irrelevant than K. Rool before Tropical Freeze. There is an 18 year gap of her not appearing in anything other than cameos, remakes, and spin offs between DKC3 and Tropical Freeze, while K. Rool makes consistent mainline appearances from 1994-2007. One advertisement undoes an entire history of irrelevance, apparently. The only games K. Rool missed out on that were particularly notable were two games by Retro. These games have incredibly simplistic stories, and don't have room for a second villain if Retro wants to try to make new antagonists. There is no greater conspiracy. Jungle Beat is the other game he missed out on, and that has absolutely zero DK characters other than DK, it may as well be a different IP entirely.
I don't think there was ever a point in modern time when Dixie was less relevant than K. Rool. Most titles K. Rool appeared in, Dixie did as well (Super Mario Sluggers, Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber). Heck, Dixie even starred in a few games where K. Rool wasn't present (Mario Hoops 3-on-3).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't disagree with you on this point; only on the fact that a "silent majority" would still influence Google Trends on something like this. But what Google Trends does show is a spike of public awareness in the character.
But to play devil's advocate, it would also show a spike in general curiosity. It could, in theory, just be from people who wanted to know what his Mii costume was from, especially since the timeline would line up.

I just don't think Google Trends is a good resource to use to gauge support for a character.

D

Deleted member

The thing is, if you didn't find out about the Ballot online, you probably didn't vote at all. 1.8 million people voted which would make less than 20% of Smash 3DS & Wii U audience. Nintendo, and by proxy Smash, has a huge dedicated fan base that would take up the majority of the votes. The fact that K. Rool was so prevalent in the trends compared to Dixie Kong when it mattered shows that they did matter.

Also remember that if King K. Rool wasn't well-known during the ballot, neither was Dixie. Tropical Freeze on Wii U didn't exactly light a fire.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Okay
You go through a whole chapter mostly consisting of flying due to Pit going through...hard times in a way (so bad it practically broke Palutena)...where you have to go to the Rewind Spring to save him (and himself) until you get into a boss fight with the great Pandora

What he said...edgy

Rosalina was playable in Galaxy 2 (well...her cosmic spirit that is) and Mario 3D World (a month before she was announced for Smash)

Pit and Dark Pit both use the exact same weapons (Pit can even use the Pittoo Staff and Pittoo can use the Palutena Bow). Only thing Dark Pit can’t use (for storyline and ownership reasons) are both the Three and Great Sacred Treasures.
Yeah, I thought people were saying how Dark Pit’s moveset should be different. When you play as dark Pit in 22, he can do whatever you can as Pit except what you said.

Taken from the wiki:

Abilities
Dark Pit, true to his state as a clone, has a very similar fighting style to Pit. While he proves to be more aggressive, he can dodge, melee, shoot, and use a variety of weaponry like his rival. During Chapter 6, Pit must fight Dark Pit four times: on and off during the air battle, twice during the land battle, and once as a boss battle. In the two randomly occurring land battle duels, he uses different weapons depending on his location. The list below accounts for them:
  1. First Blade: During fights with Pit and alongside Pit in air battles, he uses a First Blade.
  2. EZ Cannon: Dark Pit uses this when fought at the temple on the hill. He will constantly barrage Pit with its shots.
  3. Violet Palm: At the cliffside where the Cherubot is, Dark Pit uses this weapon.
  4. Ogre Club: When underground, this is his weapon of choice. Players can use the pillars to avoid his powerful shots.
  5. Dark Pit Staff: Dark Pit uses his trademark staff to snipe at Pit from atop the mountain.
  6. Silver Bow: Used during his boss fight in Chapter 6, his mini-boss fight in Chapter 13, and the land battle section in Chapter 21. This is his most used weapon.
During the last battle in Chapter 6, Dark Pit will use the Silver Bow. He will fire charged dash shots after getting up close, but sometimes he uses continuous fire. Dark Pit has the added advantage of inexhaustible flight, given to him by Pandora's remains. He will fly around on occasion, moving away from the platform. Aside from shooting, he has two new moves when doing this. The first is the bow's special attack, which sends down a rain of arrows. This engulfs an entire platform and can cause significant damage. The second is a charging attack, where he glows purple and charges at Pit.
When playing as Dark Pit in Chapter 22, he will use any weapon the player provides him with. He also shows the ability to use powers just as Pit can. While Pit will often shout Palutena's or Viridi's names when using a power, Dark Pit will say phrases such as "Come on!" or "Take this!" Dark Pit's indefinite Power of Flight also becomes apparent, as the player flies for most of the level, only landing for the boss battle with Pandora

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
I don't think there was ever a point in modern time when Dixie was less relevant than K. Rool. Most titles K. Rool appeared in, Dixie did as well (Super Mario Sluggers, Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber). Heck, Dixie even starred in a few games where K. Rool wasn't present (Mario Hoops 3-on-3).
Dixie has a 5 second cameo at the start with Z list characters like Candy Kong while K. Rool is the main villain in Jungle Climber. The extent of games she appears where K. Rool does not are Mario sports games, with the exception of Tropical Freeze.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Actually, we’re talking about the Ballot.

Guess what?

It was online.

And if you had an actual data indicating that they voted for a different set of characters than Nintnedo’s base, that argument might actually matter.

But you don’t.

Oh, and go on and tell me that kids don’t know K. Rool because his games were before their time.

I have the entire Melee community just waiting to tell you how older and less technically proficient games are drawing ever increasing numbers of new players, including young ones.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys king k rool is very likely for this one

Relevance doesn't work since sakurai wants geno and he's not relevant today either

Dixie kong and kingmkmroolking are likely going to be confirmed together

Ultimate is focusing on the fans and Ridley got in from fan demand

King k rool costume in 4 shows he knows about king k rool

King k rool is likely to get in the same way Ridley did plus he definitely no question did very well on the ballot

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Okay

Yeah, I thought people were saying how Dark Pit’s moveset should be different. When you play as dark Pit in 22, he can do whatever you can as Pit except what you said.

Taken from the wiki:

Abilities
Dark Pit, true to his state as a clone, has a very similar fighting style to Pit. While he proves to be more aggressive, he can dodge, melee, shoot, and use a variety of weaponry like his rival. During Chapter 6, Pit must fight Dark Pit four times: on and off during the air battle, twice during the land battle, and once as a boss battle. In the two randomly occurring land battle duels, he uses different weapons depending on his location. The list below accounts for them:
  1. First Blade: During fights with Pit and alongside Pit in air battles, he uses a First Blade.
  2. EZ Cannon: Dark Pit uses this when fought at the temple on the hill. He will constantly barrage Pit with its shots.
  3. Violet Palm: At the cliffside where the Cherubot is, Dark Pit uses this weapon.
  4. Ogre Club: When underground, this is his weapon of choice. Players can use the pillars to avoid his powerful shots.
  5. Dark Pit Staff: Dark Pit uses his trademark staff to snipe at Pit from atop the mountain.
  6. Silver Bow: Used during his boss fight in Chapter 6, his mini-boss fight in Chapter 13, and the land battle section in Chapter 21. This is his most used weapon.
During the last battle in Chapter 6, Dark Pit will use the Silver Bow. He will fire charged dash shots after getting up close, but sometimes he uses continuous fire. Dark Pit has the added advantage of inexhaustible flight, given to him by Pandora's remains. He will fly around on occasion, moving away from the platform. Aside from shooting, he has two new moves when doing this. The first is the bow's special attack, which sends down a rain of arrows. This engulfs an entire platform and can cause significant damage. The second is a charging attack, where he glows purple and charges at Pit.
When playing as Dark Pit in Chapter 22, he will use any weapon the player provides him with. He also shows the ability to use powers just as Pit can. While Pit will often shout Palutena's or Viridi's names when using a power, Dark Pit will say phrases such as "Come on!" or "Take this!" Dark Pit's indefinite Power of Flight also becomes apparent, as the player flies for most of the level, only landing for the boss battle with Pandora
This why I always found it weird for people to want Dark Pit to fight differently since he fights just like his superior. In a way, Dark Pit is the more accurate clone/echo due to him literally being an echo of Pit (that probably places him among some of the more accurate characters in Smash)

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Dixie returned in Tropical Freeze which gave her a boost but notice during the Smash ballot times K. Rool skyrockets beyond Dixie. I do think we'll get both of them anyway with Dixie being a semi-clone.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Full disclosure not the biggest DK fan, but what games up to 2007 are you reffering to? Because the two I found, DK Climber and Barrell Blast Dixie is also playable so... And the fact that she has become relevant again is helpful to her.

Sorry I'm not advocating for either I'd be happy with whoever I just felt like you were skewing his relevancy compared to Dixie.

Edit: This Dixie vs. King K. Rool debate is moving too fast for me lol so since I'm not invested I'll just observe.

What he said...edgy

Unless I'm mistaken, Rosalina was playable in 3D World before Smash 4 was released. Heck,wasn't she revealed to be playable in the same Nintendo Direct as her Smash reveal trailer?
While the 3D world thing is true the point of my list is to see which characters Sakurai picks based on their ability to be playable in their own series. Since he chose Rosalina in 2012 3D world would not have effected his choice.

But yes since then she's had playable appearances in and out main games.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The thing is, if you didn't find out about the Ballot online, you probably didn't vote at all. 1.8 million people voted which would make less than 20% of Smash 3DS & Wii U audience. Nintendo, and by proxy Smash, has a huge dedicated fan base that would take up the majority of the votes. The fact that K. Rool was so prevalent in the trends compared to Dixie Kong when it mattered shows that they did matter.

Also remember that if King K. Rool wasn't well-known during the ballot, neither was Dixie. Tropical Freeze on Wii U didn't exactly light a fire.
Watching the Direct doesn't necessitate interacting with online Smash communities. The Direct was all someone needed to vote in the ballot, nothing more. The Trends thing is irrelevant for the reason I noted above. It doesn't necessarily show SUPPORT.

And that last bit is incredibly dishonest. For a Wii U game Tropical Freeze did pretty damn well, so to say that's not a factor is completely revisionist.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Guys king k rool is very likely for this one

Relevance doesn't work since sakurai wants geno and he's not relevant today either
K. Rool supporters should really stop using Geno as an example for why relevancy doesn't matter. This argument sounds like Geno was never rejected at all and he's already in Smash.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

The biggest problem with the dumb "silent majority" argument in regards to K. Rool is that the likes of Geno and Pit (before he was even playable in Brawl) were acknowledged as popular characters among the general Smash fanbase, despite the fact Geno's only major appearance was in a 1996 game and Pit's only major appearance in a well-selling game before Brawl was in 1986. The latter character even got in Brawl because of his Smash popularity.

The biggest reason why people often get caught off-guard when it comes to the character roster is due to clinging on to fan assumptions and assuming they are facts before being surprised.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, the roster isn't gonna be all fanservice. Just because a character is popular amongst the fanbase does not mean that they will get in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom