• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I don't have an issue with them using the boost formula tbh, it's fun but I wish that if they were gonna do it's they'd build a whole game around it rather than throwing in gimmicks like the werehog, wisps, classic sonic, custom characters and unnecessary 2D sections, they really have no faith in what is supposed to be their main gameplay style.
Tad late response but I think another problem with the Boost formula is its effect on level design. 3D platforming is largely an afterthought to the Boost formula's game design and that becomes very obvious whenever the gameplay steps away from high-speed thrills and spectacle and makes it the focus. Whatever flow the Boost gameplay establishes with its consistently fast-paced nature falls apart due to how clunky and choppy the controls are at slower speeds and how rudimentary the level design shows itself to be when it's not tailored towards moving as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wanted Ringabel for that reason because
View attachment 150837

I also like how it played the "generic JRPG" trope while also ****ting on it at the same time with the whole save the Crystals plot being mixed up and making you end up being the "villain" until the endgame.
Man, I picked the game up at a bargain bin thinking "eh, some classic FF ripoff cashgrab by Squeenix or whatever. I guess it'll be kinda fun doing this crystal plot again." MAN, I DID NOT EXPECT IT TO BE AS GOOD AS IT WAS. You had generic JRPG tropes mixed together and then subverted so much it was actually crazy. In fact I think I liked it more than FF12,13, and 15.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd REALLY love to just have each character record new lines. But with 65+ characters it's pretty understandable that we have so many re used clips.
Wasn't the demo of the game lacking actual voice lines? I don't remember all the things that were there, could be placeholders for all we know since the FE boys got their own voice lines redone. if i see an english roy i will not take that boy

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I really wonder what change they are going to give to mah boi :ultrob:. As of now, the two big changes I got was that his Nair is bigger, and that his D-throw now bury opponent, meaning that Beep Boop is dead, but on the other hand, it seem like you could combo into Smash attack or whatever you want honestly.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I feel so out of place on this thread. Everyone here wants a new PokeMon fighter, an ARMS rep, (anime guy/girl), and Simon suddenly because of Vergeben, and I'm just sittin' here with my bois K.Rool and Geno wonderin' where all the support for guys like these went. Is it because they're expected at this point, or...?

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'd REALLY love to just have each character record new lines. But with 65+ characters it's pretty understandable that we have so many re used clips.
The problem with Sonic's English lines, in particular, is that his Smash 4 and Ultimate lines are taken directly from All-Stars Racing and Generations. Even Fox and Falco got re-recorded lines.
Wasn't the demo of the game lacking actual voice lines? I don't remember all the things that were there, could be placeholders for all we know since the FE boys got their own voice lines redone. if i see an english roy i will not take that boy
We need an option to change the Language setting. I do not want to here an English Marth.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Man, I picked the game up at a bargain bin thinking "eh, some classic FF ripoff cashgrab by Sony or whatever. I guess it'll be kinda fun doing this crystal plot again." MAN, I DID NOT EXPECT IT TO BE AS GOOD AS IT WAS. You had generic JRPG tropes mixed together and then subverted so much it was actually crazy. In fact I think I liked it more than FF12,13, and 15.
I bought it on release weekend. Not because I was necessarily hyped I just saw it was coming out in a direct and thought "i dont have any other better things to waste my money on right now". The only thing I disliked about the game was how tediously grindy it was if you wanted to cap out everything, which is standard for a JPRG of its typing. Then there was the true ending with Tiz just dying and I was like "lolwut" until I realized it was bait for the sequel. Those Norende bosses were hella fun, though, I'd say it was worth it. I never did buy the sequel. I paid attention to it when it was first revealed but I never followed it after that because I forgot.
People please buy Bravely
pls
Do it for Mega Ultra Waifu Chicken

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I feel so out of place on this thread. Everyone here wants a new PokeMon fighter, an ARMS rep, (anime guy/girl), and Simon suddenly because of Vergeben, and I'm just sittin' here with my bois K.Rool and Geno wonderin' where all the support for guys like these went. Is it because they're expected at this point, or...?
I'm a big K. Rool fan and want him next, but yeah he's kind of expected.

As for Geno... unfortunately, he isn't expected and I feel like the support is dying out. It's been 22 years since his last game with only two cameos since. Lotsa people playing Smash now weren't even alive during his last real appearance.

But fan demand got us characters before, so it's completely possible. I'd love to see Geno if a miracle were to happen.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Before I go to bed, I wanted to share this 4chan thread dedicated to Smash fanart that I found while leak hunting. There's a lot of great art, and little to no 4chan cancer. Take a look at it if you want.

If you don't want to venture into 4chan that's understandable, so here's an imgur thread of of my favorites (I tried uploading them here, but the server's messed up).

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I couldn't really say for sure since all my demo experiences were on the noisy show floor. But I've heard that too.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I really wonder what change they are going to give to mah boi :ultrob:. As of now, the two big changes I got was that his Nair is bigger, and that his D-throw now bury opponent, meaning that Beep Boop is dead, but on the other hand, it seem like you could combo into Smash attack or whatever you want honestly.
He's also got a new throw - either forward or up throw, more likely up based on angles - where he throws the opponent over his head. It's not as cool as the tombstone but still a pretty funny animation.

Not that anyone will ever notice when the only throw we will ever use from now on is Down :O

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
He's also got a new throw - either forward or up throw, more likely up based on angles - where he throws the opponent over his head. It's not as cool as the tombstone but still a pretty funny animation.

Not that anyone will ever notice when the only throw we will ever use from now on is Down :O
I wonder what will be the title for the new D-throw if it happen to be as powerful as the old one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sonic being in a ball is his thing, though warranting two spin dash specials is not what Sakurai should've done in the first place.
What's even the difference between the two?
Still, he has some other moves in his game that fit into a Smash moveset perfectly.
Sonic's Down B is charged by tapping the special button while his side B is charged by holding iirc. Functionally i have no idea what's the difference between them either.
Sonic has actually had one fewer ball attack in each game (Dsmash became a split kick in Brawl, and dash attack became a lunge kick attack in Ultimate.)
So, how many games until he has no ball attacks left? :p
I didn't say "no ball attacks". I said less.
Though now that I think about it, the overhaul I have in mind doesn't really remove a lot of ball moves. I guess I just want him to have more canon moves.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Though now that I think about it, the overhaul I have in mind doesn't really remove a lot of ball moves. I guess I just want him to have more canon moves.
But they are his canon moves?

D

Deleted member

I said I want more.
I guess I'll try to list all of the things I'd like to change about his moveset, brb
Edit: Okay no I don't feel like doing that right now, maybe some other time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sonic has a lot more abilities than just ball abilities.

Heck, just off the top of my head.

Neutral B: Magic Hands
Up B: Chaos Control
Side B: Light Speed Dash
Down B: Light Attack

It's not that Sonic using ball moves is bad. It's just... there's so much he can do that it comes off as lazy to some.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Genos still my boy, hold out hope!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

It's not that Sonic using ball moves is bad. It's just... there's so much he can do that it comes off as lazy to some.
While that's creative, the first three specials of Sonic's moveset are iconic to his character and games. The side or down special is easily replacable though.

I'd kill to have Luigi use his Thunder Hand instead of green fire but that will probably never happen.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A

I know I brought this up but Sonic also makes heavy use of aerokinesis. Sonic Wind (SA2), Sonic Wave (Battle), Blue Tornado(Heroes), Tornado (Rush), Whirlwind (Chronicles). I'd find a way to incorporate that somehow.

His down air is literally Shadow's air attack (Shadow Eagle) from Battle, I would've opted for his Sonic Eagle for his forward or down air as a spike since that's his actual air attack from the game.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

How the heck would magic hands work? They would be broken as heck if they acted anything like they did in SA2.

Also no Sonic Wind 0/10

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's just because we've discussed these guys for years and years now, there's not really anything new that can be brought up with them. K. Rool at the very least tends to top every single poll on here, he's the most popular potential character on this board, I dare even say by a landslide since Ridley's inclusion. Geno is a bit more controversial since he provides competition for other Mario and 3rd party characters, he unleashed hell on yesterday's Rate Their Chances, but I think if he got in the reception would still be very positive.

Last edited:

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
It's just because we've discussed these guys for years and years now, there's not really anything new that can be brought up with them. K. Rool at the very least tends to top every single poll on here, he's the most popular potential character on this board, I dare even say by a landslide since Ridley's inclusion. Geno is a bit more controversial since he provides competition for other Mario and 3rd party characters, he unleashed hell on yesterday's Rate Their Chances, but I think if he got in the reception would still be very positive.
I honestly believe K Rool has a great chance now with Ridley being added in. I believe Sakurai is gonna added in mostly fan favourites this time around and he must have seen how popular he was from the smash ballot.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

pretty much this.

also at this point if theyre in theyre in, the fans already did their job so arguing about why they should be included is kind of in the past... right now is just waiting to see if they are or not. and barring DLC it feels like if K Rool or Geno dont get chosen this time, thats it they are done, and even with DLC they feel like characters that will either be popular enough to get in to the base game with the ballot OR they are simply not relevant enough and sakurai doesnt care to include them. its very make or break at this point for these two and we sort of just have to wait it out.

I do think they both have a great chance and i also think they are both characters who were "forgotten" by Nintendo for various reasons and fans have demanded they be recognized for their lasting popularity despite this, so hopefully solidifying their places in the smash roster will forever leave their mark on nintendo and they wont be forgotten any longer.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The game's got Ridley, Cloud and Bayonetta in it, were it not for assist trophies, the sky would seem to be the limit.

Wambo

Smash Ace
The game's got Ridley, Cloud and Bayonetta in it, were it not for assist trophies, the sky would seem to be the limit.
I hope you're right. We need a character reveal soon, because the scary thing is, if Simon got revealed, that'd mean Vergeben was right, but we wouldn't know if anyone else was in the game. We'd be totally in the dark... AGAIN.

EDIT: Not that we're in any sort of light now, and I don't trust Vergeben, but regrettably, he's the only thing to latch onto right now.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
From Smash wiki
"He is much more expressive. Like Diddy Kong, his hat is also "looser" on his head and pops off during certain animations, such as his down air."
Does anyone have a picture, I don't think Young Link has ever been seen without his hat on so I'm curious

Also he smirks now, but Smashboards doesn't want me sharing the picture Screenshot_2018-06-30-20-20-05-17.png

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From Smash wiki
"He is much more expressive. Like Diddy Kong, his hat is also "looser" on his head and pops off during certain animations, such as his down air."
Does anyone have a picture, I don't think Young Link has ever been seen without his hat on so I'm curious

Also he smirks now, but Smashboards doesn't want me sharing the pictureView attachment 150852
I think their talking about this.
I don't know if that was intentional or a visual/rigging issue with his hat as it looks a little off to me...

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If Smash was a dating sim. game, would that change the characters that you want to be in smash?
I want(ed?) Ridley, K. Rool, and a reworked Wario.

So, no, of course not. I'm straight as an arrow and I wouldn't turn that foursome down for anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom