• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sonic Team: YES! You'll get wasteful boost mechanics, poorly thought-out game elements, and Green Hill and Chemical Plant rehashes and like it!
No Special Stages, Sonic only, Green Hill + Chemical Plant
Oh god, Sonic's become the original competitive smash meme.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Crazy idea: Everyone is here!
Old Smash bosses return as fighters, including Porky, Petey Pirhana and Rayquaza.

Ridley is already in, you get a third Mother character, unique Mario rep, and a beloved gen 3 Pokemon.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
You don't even like Yoshi anyways. (I saw what you said about him) Of course you'd think that...
I don't HATE Yoshi. I just think his modern design is really odd and I have no idea what they're going for with his character. I also think his abilities make for more interesting 2D gameplay than 3D. I think he'd work well as a level gimmick for Mario but not as an entire game thing in 3D.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Page 2020. The year where Nintendo celebrates Yoshi's 30th Anniversary and launch the Year of Yoshi!!!

:yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Or he gets the Samus treatment
Kid Icarus... I guess? I mean, I don't want Sakurai making it, because Smash 4 had a crap-ton of design choices inspired by that and it didn't feel unique.
Id rather Sakurai works on Kid Icarus as a writer atleast (the gameplay doesn’t need changing anyways)...also of course Sakurai would use Uprising inspired things in Smash (happened vice versa with that and Kirby), so using things he’s done before and putting it into Smash isn’t really a problem

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Throwing the eggs in complete 3D would be a nightmare though
The more I think about it the more I think it could be done to be honest. Pikmin is ridiculously intuitive and the majority of that game is spent throwing pikmin around. With a few smart design choices I think they could pull it off.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The more I think about it the more I think it could be done to be honest. Pikmin is ridiculously intuitive and the majority of that game is spent throwing pikmin around. With a few smart design choices I think they could pull it off.
It's Nintendo so it could definitely be done. I just don't know why you'd pick Yoshi as the MC of a game like that. Kirby I feel would work better. He's got a bunch of cool abilities and his copy mechanic could do wonders in a 3D environment.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wonder if Geno is in, did the requests for him over the years and the new working friendship with Square (they have a seperate faction just for Switch games) spawn anything? It'd explain Nintendo's sudden attentiveness to the game with that tweet.

Like a Switch remake? Square making Paper Mario but with Geno/Mallow/Boshi/Other characters?

Can you imagine a Paper Mario that mixes it's cast with the RPG cast?

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Hey Sonic Adventure 2, the day stages of unleashed and the actually 3D parts of colours and generations were good, it's possible but Sonic Team are just incompetent
Many people would argue SA2 is bad now. It hasn't aged greatly but I still love it. Plus Chao Garden. They need to ditch the boost formula and go back to Adventure style..but you know...have a good development time and not rush it out the door like Sonic 06.

I also wonder why Sonic doesn't have more of his gadgets in Smash. Bounce Bracelet? Flame Ring? Those are really cool moves but all we get is 20 versions of spin dash.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I honestly think Yoshi should have an extension of his current abilities in his own games. I'm getting tired of devs trying to "recreate the magic of Yoshi's Island" without the quality to back it up

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
A true Paper Mario game with Super Mario RPG characters would make me forgive Nintendo for all the things they did from 2012-2016.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I want a Chain Chomp with a tiny hat as a party member in next true Paper Mario game.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
And honestly, Yoshi's more likely to get a 3D platformer before Kirby. The reason I say this is because HAL kind of has a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality with their games, while Nintendo who has full ownership of Yoshi games are willing to try new things, or at least recently they have.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Lol fair enough. I guess with good gameplay the cheesy lines are actually charming - Sonic Adventures 2
I now want a taunt of Sonic saying "I'll make you eat those words". Just so you can spam it when someone else does a taunt with voice lines. All the cool kids know what I'm talking about.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I now want a taunt of Sonic saying "I'll make you eat those words". Just so you can spam it when someone else does a taunt with voice lines. All the cool kids know what I'm talking about.
I would main Sonic if that became a thing

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the only reason I played Sonic in Brawl was because of "You're too slow" so I can relate

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If Daisy doesn't have this as a taunt then what was the point of even including her
I mean...The Inklings have woomy. You can't not put it in. Think of the memes! Also Sakurai making a you're too slow joke when talking about Sonic in the direct better mean he has his you're too slow taunt back.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Many people would argue SA2 is bad now. It hasn't aged greatly but I still love it. Plus Chao Garden. They need to ditch the boost formula and go back to Adventure style..but you know...have a good development time and not rush it out the door like Sonic 06.

I also wonder why Sonic doesn't have more of his gadgets in Smash. Bounce Bracelet? Flame Ring? Those are really cool moves but all we get is 20 versions of spin dash.
SA2 definitely has it's issues but I'd still argue that it's a good game, the Sonic and Shadow stages especially were fun and well designed, technical hiccups aside. And the other gameplay styles aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be (ignoring the rouge space stage...yikes)

Even though I'd like them to go back to the adventure style I don't have an issue with them using the boost formula tbh, it's fun but I wish that if they were gonna do it's they'd build a whole game around it rather than throwing in gimmicks like the werehog, wisps, classic sonic, custom characters and unnecessary 2D sections, they really have no faith in what is supposed to be their main gameplay style.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I mean...The Inklings have woomy. You can't not put it in. Think of the memes! Also Sakurai making a you're too slow joke when talking about Sonic in the direct better mean he has his you're too slow taunt back.
Sakurai definitely respects his memes *Ridley hits the big time*

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
A DK 64 remake, where you could switch between Kongs without having to use the barrel so you don't go crazy trying to get every single coin and banana (and mini banana) in the game would be amazing

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've been wanting a 3D DK platformer for ages. Bring back Tiny and Lanky Kong. They're cool and need more recognition.

Chunky is doomed along with Kiddy Kong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, like I said, Kirby and Yoshi deserve 3D platformers, and I guess DK should get a second chance without the ridiculous collectathon elements.

Also bring back Wario Land...
DK needs the chance to have a actual 3D game that puts a priority behind making a 3D DK game. DK64 felt like it didn't have the full attention from the developers. Rare seemed to have given priority over games like Banjo-Kazooie back then. I general I hope they are gonna experiment more with the Donkey Kong franchise. Reggie mentoined DK amongst the franchises he wanted to create "new experiences" for, much like Zelda, Mario and Metroid. Metroid got Federation Forces and Metroid 2 remake that gave total new experiences, Prime 4 is on the way. Zelda had it's whole franchise turn in a new direction with Breath of the Wild. And Mario does something else entirely any time. I want Donkey Kong to have the same kind of attention. There's lots of potential.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Thankfully only one "leak" tonight, and it's a puzzle-ish one, so it's nothing really.

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422499079/#422499079
that street fighter guy
some chimp with a lot of hair that attacks with bubbles
sexy librarian with dual pistols
some anime girl that's scared by everything
blonde kid with a snake
some Game and Watch clone that's white with a face
conan the barbarian
edgy version of the Halo guy
sonic and dark sonic
bomberman
big dragon. i think from fire emblem