• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Has anyone noticed how besides :ultpikachu::ultbowserjr::ultvillager:, more people use female variants of characters like :ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling::4corrinf:than their male counterparts (with :ultrobin:4robinf: being equally used)?
Not to detract from your point, but angry Mario was done in other games. Mario was extra mad as hell in Strikers.

He looks pretty happy in Ultimate by comparison.

This...this Mario doesn’t feel right for Smash after years of being pissed off...whatever Pauline did to him in Odyssey, good for her for finally making Mario have some sort of happiness in Smash
Where has anyone ever said "Shadow can only be a clone"? My whole argument is that Shadow is 100% capable of being a clone, and that the arguments of how "unfaithful" it would be and how "Shadow can do so much more" are invalid for why he couldn't, as they aren't relevant to deciding whether a character gets made a clone or not.
Shadow being an echo of Sonic would still be great...but it’d be sad to not see him at his edgiest (unless guns and chaos moves were to be his final smash)

Perhaps the same stage seen in this mysterious Snake screenshot?
Snake looking suspicious as usual
View attachment 150426

Y'know i've been waiting several years to use this image on a relevant topic.
I want this now

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Thank you I know that now. I don't exactly keep a mental chart of who has been arguing what over the course of days. I just response to the post I see. Glad we actually seem to agree though. My apologies for assuming wrong.

Wrong. It's already been stated multiple times in this thread why that's wrong. The opposite is actually true. Shadow hasn't played exactly the same since Heroes iirc.

OK seriously, done now. I just used Omega's post as an excuse. Starting now.........yep.
I didn't see any one here arguing that Shadow could only be a clone. I don't think anyone can only be a clone, hell Pink Gold Peach could have a completely unique Moveset.

Personally I was just pointing out that any 2 characters that share simialr frames can be echoes, whether or not it is 100% faithful.

Also side comment to someone posting about how people were thinking of Shadow as the only possible Sonic character, lol I don't think we're getting any Sonic characters :p

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who's a bit weirded out by the clouds? Every game has a different knockback trail, but the clouds seem really opaque and unfitting. Especially in that pic of Sukapon from the other day.

versus Sm4sh
I think the clouds are more opaque because the characters fly much faster now. It makes it much easier to see the path they traveled.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Am I the only one who's a bit weirded out by the clouds? Every game has a different knockback trail, but the clouds seem really opaque and unfitting. Especially in that pic of Sukapon from the other day.

versus Sm4sh
Yeah, it bothered me for a while too. Thankfully, I've gotten over it. At first, the clouds were incredibly distracting, though.
I still would prefer they were a little less.....dense but I can live with them the way they are now as long as Mimikyu is in the game.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Is it from earthbound? That mushroom...

Yeah, people noticed it a while ago and have been theorizing what it means. I believe the leading theory right now is the return of Smash Run with the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom as a new enemy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Man... those clouds would have been perfect for Meowth for when he gets blasted off.

Meowth blasting off clouds.gif

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The stage is clearly Gaur Plains...

Sometimes I wonder if you guys play Smash all that much.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Shadow hasn't played exactly the same since Heroes iirc.
Just to point out, he plays exactly the same as Sonic in Forces (doesn’t he even have the exact same idle stance animation as Sonic in that, IIRC?) so... it’s inconsistent.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hmm, if we're in a lull of discussion right now, I'd like to try an idea for a concept I posted yesterday again, since it either got lost in the torrent of comments, or people thought it was so dumb it wasn't worth paying attention to. :laugh:

How would you guys feel about a "Super Fan Music Pack" as DLC? As in, cover songs made by fans, such as youtubers like Tee Lopes, Smooth McGroove, Pokeli/Mixeli, Pokemixr92, PPF, Dr. Pez, and others.
Would you consider buying such a music pack? Is it even a good idea? XD
Seriously, though, look up "PPF", he does amazing work.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Have you only played the main series games? Shadow plays differently (very differently) to Sonic in Sonic Battle.
Granted, Sonic Battle and Sonic '06 are the only games that come to mind for me (right now) that show a clear delineation between Sonic and Shadow.
And what about Shadow’s game? In that game he has his Chaos meters that lets him perform his Chaos Powers and uses midair kicks. And if we’re counting SA2’s multiplayer Amy and Metal were also straight Sonic clones (and yeah, Amy can be an echo right?) and besides Tonado Jump or solo attacks, all the speed characters in Heroes are clones. They all Rocket Accel, they all Homing Attack, they all have the same running speed.

Shadow’s usually a clone in the traditional platformers, but when you have games like 06 where you’re fighting hoards of enemies and the game’s practically a beat-em-up, or a fighting game like Battle or Shadow’s game where you get to explore his other abilities he plays a lot differently. That’s not even getting into special abilities or attacks from multiplayer or multiple spinoffs.

Last edited:

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
The stage is clearly Gaur Plains...

Sometimes I wonder if you guys play Smash all that much.
Yeah, Sakurai extended the background farther to the right which made it seem foreign as that wasn't in Smash Wii U. Allows for better photo opportunities though without the background just going into a void. Just didn't know where that right side was from before but it seems that is new.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I didn't see any one here arguing that Shadow could only be a clone. I don't think anyone can only be a clone, hell Pink Gold Peach could have a completely unique Moveset.

Personally I was just pointing out that any 2 characters that share simialr frames can be echoes, whether or not it is 100% faithful.

Also side comment to someone posting about how people were thinking of Shadow as the only possible Sonic character, lol I don't think we're getting any Sonic characters :p
There is a guy who apologized for saying "Echo or bust" a few pages back. He wasn't the only one who said it. Believe me, I'm not just making that up so I can rant like a looney. I'm glad more people are saying they don't just think Shadow is doomed to be an Echo. It seemed like the dominant mindset over the last few days.

Side Note: THIS DOES NOT COUNT AS ME CONTINUING THE SHADOW DISCUSSION. THIS. DOES. NOT. COUNT!

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
\

Where is the Mechonis then? And it doesn't look jagged enough.

It could be Guar Plains but it's not registering as such to me right now.
The Mechanis isn't really in the pic, this is from an extreme angle and Sakurai has pushed the boundary out much farther than before. You can verify with the lake having the small bridge and an island with a cube on it. It is the same as the first lake in the background on the right in gaur plain stage.

Wambo

Smash Ace

versus Sm4sh
Personally, I like the clouds a lot more. They're compatible with the wider cast of characters. The more I think about smashing Kirby off the stage in Smash 4, creating a trail of flames, it just feels more unfitting and edgy unless it was someone like Samus or Charizard.

I guess it's all just a matter of taste. I don't like most of the decisions regarding Smash 4 at all, outside of the characters/parts of the gameplay. Also, Sakurai was coming off a Kid Icarus high and I don't like how similar most of the game looked to Uprising.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
There is a guy who apologized for saying "Echo or bust" a few pages back. He wasn't the only one who said it. Believe me, I'm not just making that up so I can rant like a looney. I'm glad more people are saying they don't just think Shadow is doomed to be an Echo. It seemed like the dominant mindset over the last few days.

Side Note: THIS DOES NOT COUNT AS ME CONTINUING THE SHADOW DISCUSSION. THIS. DOES. NOT. COUNT!
I know now. THIS IS WHO. I. AM!

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The Mechanis isn't really in the pic, this is from an extreme angle and Sakurai has pushed the boundary out much farther than before. You can verify with the lake having the small bridge and an island with a cube on it. It is the same as the first lake in the background on the right in gaur plain stage.
My mistake.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Where is the Mechonis then? And it doesn't look jagged enough.

It could be Guar Plains but it's not registering as such to me right now.
Mechonis is only viewable from the center. It looks like the second-to-top or third-to-top platform on the left side with the arcs. There's also the stalactites.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah, Sakurai extended the background farther to the right which made it seem foreign as that wasn't in Smash Wii U. Allows for better photo opportunities though without the background just going into a void. Just didn't know where that right side was from before but it seems that is new.
I think a lot of backgrounds are getting altered because a lot of new Final Smashes feature the characters attacking from the background. Like Giga Bowser.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I think a lot of backgrounds are getting altered because a lot of new Final Smashes feature the characters attacking from the background. Like Giga Bowser.
Makes me wonder how Shadow Moses is gonna work. Bowser breaks through the roof instead of Metal Gear?

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Contrary to what people think, Dr. Mario is more than just Mario in another costume. Lucina on the other hand, is ironically much more similar to Marth than Dr. Mario is to Mario, both in Smash and their origin games. This is funnily because of what Dr. Mario CAN'T do.
What!?

Dr. Mario who is LITERALLY Mario in a doctor outfit is more different to Mario than Lucina, who is a far descentsant to Marth in a different time period who has a different fighting style and GENDER, is to Marth.

You can’t say that’s the case in their origin games because Dr. Mario is literally Mario, while Lucina canonically is very different than Marth due to many different factors in their games, there’s no arguing about it, it’s fact. There isn’t any different timeline for Dr. Mario, there isn’t a story or reason, Dr. Mario doesn’t do anything other than being the man himself in a Doctor outfit, there is nothing, Lucina is more different to Marth than Dr. Mario will ever be to Mario.

At least not in Smash.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Just to point out, he plays exactly the same as Sonic in Forces (doesn’t he even have the exact same idle stance animation as Sonic in that, IIRC?) so... it’s inconsistent.
The lesson is that Shadow fights however he wants

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sonic: "I FOUND YOU, FAKER"
"Faker? I think you're the fake Hedgehog around here. You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be my-"

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Nearly everyone in SA2 and Heroes have the same idle stance animation. And the idle pose for Sonic in Forces doesn’t have an animation applied to it.

One of the many goofs from Forces.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sonic: "I FOUND YOU, FAKER"
Shadow: Faker? I th8nk you’re the fake hedgehog around here. You’re comparing yourself to me...ha! You’re not even good enough to be my fake.

(something all good and edgy boy conversations must go through)

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Who are ya'll going to play as first in Ultimate?

For me, it'll be Tails Paper Mario the Ice Climbers for sure.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
What!?

Dr. Mario who is LITERALLY Mario in a doctor outfit is more different to Mario than Lucina, who is a far descentsant to Marth in a different time period who has a different fighting style and GENDER, is to Marth.

You can’t say that’s the case in their origin games because Dr. Mario is literally Mario, while Lucina canonically is very different than Marth due to many different factors in their games, there’s no arguing about it, it’s fact. There isn’t any different timeline for Dr. Mario, there isn’t a story or reason, Dr. Mario doesn’t do anything other than being the man himself in a Doctor outfit, there is nothing, Lucina is more different to Marth than Dr. Mario will ever be to Mario.

At least not in Smash.
I take it that you're a huge Lucina fan from your icon, and let me just say thank you. The leaps and bounds I've seen people make to say Lucina and Marth are basically the same person freak me out and make me really ask myself if they ever played Awakening.

I'm not gunna say I can't see why Lucina was made a Marth echo, and at the end of the day I'd rather that than not have her playable, but there's really no in game canonical reason why she would be (long story short for people who say she disguises her self as Marth, it's a disguise. Nothing else. She never met him and thus can't know how to act like him. Instead she fights more like Chrom who arguably fights closer to Ike) and it just goes to show that a character doesn't have to be 1:1 to get the clone or echo treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom