• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Considering how stingy Sega is with giving Sonic non-blue colors, I'm going to say there's no way they'll allow Shadow or Tails as a near clone of Sonic.

Course that's assuming Sonic even gets another rep, which I highly doubt.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon What is the fake leak count at? And do you have them all listed somewhere?
41 fake leaks. All leak threads are linked in the count.

2 leaks will either be proven or disproven in the next week, and another 2/3 relate to Nintendo Directs that will occur within the next two months (those aren't linked in the count as far as I know).

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.

2 leaks will either be proven or disproven in the next week, and another 2/3 relate to Nintendo Directs that will occur within the next two months (those aren't linked in the count as far as I know).
I think I know one of those leaks, but to be sure, which leaks are those?

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I feel...
...like this Shadow echo fighter debate is going to continue endlessly until either his assist trophy gets revealed, his trailer pops up or the game launches.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think I might do a write up on why I think Paper Mario is so likely. I feel he has more going for him than people give him credit for.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Which 2 will be proven/disproven in the next week? I remember there was a leak that said "Ashley reveal in July", but I don't think it specified when in July.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here's a hot take.

I think we won't get any more Mario newcomers, echoes or otherwise for the base roster.

What makes me say such a ridiculous claim?

Take a look at any Mario character's page on the official website.

Look at the part where it says other fighters from this series. It seems that the way they set this up is that each page can have a maximum of eight characters.

Now, of course this can change, there is room for more, but I doubt they would have set the website up this way if there were more Mario newcomers ready to be revealed.
If there’s one more Mario character, hopefully it’s Captain Toad

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think I know one of those leaks, but to be sure, which leaks are those?
Which 2 will be proven/disproven in the next week? I remember there was a leak that said "Ashley reveal in July", but I don't think it specified when in July.
A K. Rool reveal either July 1st or 2nd and a Ribbon (Kirby) reveal on July 2nd.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I feel...
...like this Shadow echo fighter debate is going to continue endlessly until either his assist trophy gets revealed, his trailer pops up or the game launches.
Nah, if there's no assist trophy or trailer, we'll continue arguing until the end of the DLC.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
One thing people haven't considered, as far as I know...
What if, this game, due to the success of the previous game's DLC, there aren't any last minute clones? Daisy being the exception, of course; considering how early she was shown, they probably planned for her to be a clone from the start.
People are being way too trigger happy with the "Echo Fighter" distinction.
If there's a character who could be a clone but Sakurai feels would serve much better fully realised as DLC, it's certainly possible a clone candidate would be passed over to save for DLC later on, but who knows which such characters he would feel that way about and at which point in development he started actively considering DLC.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
You know, with all this talk of portrayals it made me think; I wonder if Sega wouldn't allow Miku in Smash specifically because they know her fanbase would jump at Sakurai's throat for not portraying her correctly.
Sakurai wouldn't allow Miku in Smash because she's not originally a video game character.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
About character portrayals, my most wanted,
should be portrayed as the opposite of Yoshi. I want him to be the most ill-spirited, nastiest, most unsportsmanlike character in the entire roster. Make Wario look like Mother Theresa...

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Strange. Can you show the leak for K. Rool? I remember seeing the part for it being revealed on the 1st of July, but not the second.
There is no second part. It's two different leaks. I forgot the original date.

My Ultimate Smash Roster Behold
View attachment 150420
I'd honestly love to see this roster be the real deal, but this is incredibly wishful. 17 newcomers (6 echoes?) matches Smash 4, which likely isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
There is no second part. It's two different leaks. I forget the original date.
By part, I meant the part saying the date on the same leak. So there wasn't supposed to be any additional part to be had. But are you saying there are two leaks with K. Rool being announced soon? Do forgive me if I read that wrong.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
To be fair, the argument that Shadow can't be added late as a semi-clone is rendered moot by Wolf's whole existence.

Here's a debate: Who is more of Fox's Tails/Luigi? Falco, or Slippy?

Last edited:

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
I think I might do a write up on why I think Paper Mario is so likely. I feel he has more going for him than people give him credit for.
Please do, I'd love to see that. Paper Mario is easily my most wanted character but I just have a hard time seeing it happen. He just has the potential to be so unique but I feel like him being just another mario leads to him often times being over looked.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also, "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax" is stupidly long.
Needs more.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Hyper Turbo HD Remix Tournament Edition & Knuckles.
Did some research, it would be even worse in Japan.
"Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold" Hyper Turbo HD Remix Tournament Edition & Knuckles, featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series and a Funky New Mode.
We've created a monster...

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
By part, I meant the part saying the date on the same leak. So there wasn't supposed to be any additional part to be had. But are you saying there are two leaks with K. Rool being announced soon? Do forgive me if I read that wrong.
No, there is one leak with K. Rool being announced on July 1st. That was it for the leak.

Did some research, it would be even worse in Japan.
"Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold" Hyper Turbo HD Remix Tournament Edition & Knuckles, featurin Dante from the Devil May Cry series and a Funky New Mode.
We've created a monster...
I'd buy that game.

For the memes.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
To be fair, the argument that Shadow can't be added late as a semi-clone is rendered moot by Wolf's whole existence.

Here's a debate: Who is more of Fox's Tails/Luigi? Falco, or Slippy?
Wolf wasn't a late addition, he was always a planned character; he, alongside Toon Link and Jigglypuff, were just among a designated group of low priority characters who would have been cut if developmental demands necessitated it (alongside other members of the Forbidden Seven), and thus were kept out of the SSE so if they had to be scrapped, no issues would occur with the SSE and its story.

Also Wolf was about the least cloniest of a clone you can get (calling him a semi-clone isn't really accurate, he's more a character who was initially based on another character to speed up development and ended up with a few cloned aspects, like 64 Falcon and Ness), and according to Sakurai's words, took about 70% of the effort of a typical newcomer, so you're definitely not adding a Wolf-like character late in development.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
So, you're saying that a friendly rivalry/Knuckles type can get in before even the Eggman/Bowser, Shadow/Wario, or Tails/Luigi?

Wolf wasn't a late addition, he was always a planned character; he, alongside Toon Link and Jigglypuff, were just among a designated group of low priority characters who would have been cut if developmental demands necessitated it (alongside other members of the Forbidden Seven), and thus were kept out of the SSE so if they had to be scrapped, no issues would occur with the SSE and its story.
So you're saying clones don't have to be a late addition and can be considered part of the main plan? Cool.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Please do, I'd love to see that. Paper Mario is easily my most wanted character but I just have a hard time seeing it happen. He just has the potential to be so unique but I feel like him being just another mario leads to him often times being over looked.
I use to want Paper Mario hard but in the future his chances are pretty low who knows maybe Sakurai do a Daisy Twist on use not make Paper Mario Echo fighter no I meant surprise reveal. I hope Paper Mario Stage returns I been wanting Paper Mario stage sense Brawl.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think the website is any indication of how many characters each series will get. While the desktop website might show one thing, the mobile site is entirely different.

For example, while the Mario series appears to be completely filled on the desktop website, the mobile website setup makes it seem as if there's space for one more character.

Basically, I don't think any particular theory on slots or the website are going to bear any fruit unless somebody finds a way to get into placeholders on the website and what not, or finds a way to datamine something.

In regard to Shadow, I sincerely hope that if a character is shown to be an Assist Trophy, that the supporters of the character realize that there is no hope left for this particular game. The last thing people should do is lie to themselves and say, "Y-yeah, Waluigi is an Assist Trophy. He can still be playable though...r-right?"

NO. IF THEY'RE AN ASSIST TROPHY, THEY WERE PICKED TO BE AN ASSIST TROPHY.

Not really meaning to be a ****. I'm just trying to enforce this, because thinking otherwise will only bring pain to the fans of disconfirmed characters who don't want to see the truth for what it is.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Then why did you say "reveal either July 1st or 2nd" in an earlier post?
There is no second part. It's two different leaks. I forgot the original date.
One step ahead of you dude.

Only then will we know beyond a Shadow of a doubt.
Can we seriously stop the Shadow debate for just one day? Like, call a temporary truce or something?

Like, I would be okay with Shadow being an echo fighter, and that's okay. If you wouldn't like to see that then that's okay too.
It's only speculation.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If there's a character who could be a clone but Sakurai feels would serve much better fully realised as DLC, it's certainly possible a clone candidate would be passed over to save for DLC later on, but who knows which such characters he would feel that way about and at which point in development he started actively considering DLC.
If there is a character made into a clone I'd be perfectly fine with having this status, it's Doc Louie. He invented the Star Punch!

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Shadow could also be a planned character. Your last response to me was just one scenario. Sakurai could actually see Shadow as a worthy character to include on his own right, just like Wolf. My issue with this whole argument is the assumption that Sakurai could only possibly see Shadow as a last minute addition. Its just an assumption!

Shadow could have done well on the ballot (this isn't me saying he did, "could have") and in that scenario Sakurai could have taken a hard look at Shadow and decided "Eh, what the heck I can work with that." I don't understand why these dots aren't connecting. Yes, Shadow looks like an easy and obvious Echo fighter. That does not mean he's destined for that fate.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hahaha! This is Smash! Smash is notorious for not properly reflecting a characters personality.
I love this. This is the most common argument in the history of Smash fans. Characters have inconsistent traits, therefore the way we represent characters doesn't matter AT ALL.

The classic "anything goes" argument. Mario is angry, so who cares if Dark Pit smiles and gives a peace symbol or uses Sacred Treasures? Ice Climbers are obscure, so why can't we have Zess T. be a playable character? After all, Smash is just notorious for never adhering to any standards ever.

We found a few inconsistencies, so now nothing matters. Lolololololol.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yes, Shadow looks like an easy and obvious Echo fighter. That does not mean he's destined for that fate.
Could be said for many, many characters.
For all we know, Daisy is the only new Echo Fighter.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
One step ahead of you dude.

Can we seriously stop the Shadow debate for just one day? Like, call a temporary truce or something?

Like, I would be okay with Shadow being an echo fighter, and that's okay. If you wouldn't like to see that then that's okay too.
It's only speculation.
Yeah I honestly tried stopping it earlier but people kept going >.<

Sorry for that.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Ah darn it. Anyways, I don't expect this leak to be proven right. If it does get proven right, I can see it happening at that CEO event. Not holding my breath, though.
Smash 4 Top 8 at CEO will be on July 1st. Seems like a good time for a reveal but Nintendo has never done that for fgc events so I doubt there'll be any reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom