• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Shadow could also be a planned character. Your last response to me was just one scenario. Sakurai could actually see Shadow as a worthy character to include on his own right, just like Wolf. My issue with this whole argument is the assumption that Sakurai could only possibly see Shadow as a last minute addition. Its just an assumption!

Shadow could have done well on the ballot (this isn't me saying he did, "could have") and in that scenario Sakurai could have taken a hard look at Shadow and decided "Eh, what the heck I can work with that." I don't understand why these dots aren't connecting. Yes, Shadow looks like an easy and obvious Echo fighter. That does not mean he's destined for that fate.
Where has anyone ever said "Shadow can only be a clone"? My whole argument is that Shadow is 100% capable of being a clone, and that the arguments of how "unfaithful" it would be and how "Shadow can do so much more" are invalid for why he couldn't, as they aren't relevant to deciding whether a character gets made a clone or not.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah I honestly tried stopping it earlier but people kept going >.<

Sorry for that.
I desperately want it to end too but I can't help it. I MUST RESPOND.

Where has anyone ever said "Shadow can only be a clone"? My whole argument is that Shadow is 100% capable of being a clone, and that the arguments of how "unfaithful" it would be and how "Shadow can do so much more" are invalid for why he couldn't, as they aren't relevant to deciding whether a character gets made a clone or not.
THEN WE HAVE NOTHING TO ARGUE ABOUT. JOY OF JOYS!

Plenty of people have said that.....I'm too lazy to find it in 100s of pages though. When you quoted me you never admitted that the opposite could happen so I assumed that you genuinely believed Shadow's only chance was as a clone. But you don't think that so great.

I'm done with this discussion now.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I think I might do a write up on why I think Paper Mario is so likely. I feel he has more going for him than people give him credit for.
I agree that he'd be cool!! I've actually never played a paper mario game but we have 3 links. Why not 3 marios too? He honestly seems more relevant than a large amount of other alternate versions of characters.

This makes me want Geno too if only for the mario RPG crossover angle.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Now? Man, the Smash community has been eatin' up text leaks for a long time. This ain't a new development.
No, I mean all the dude said was "he's gonna be revealed on july 1st" lol
Usually there's some kind of grandiose nature to it to substantiate it as a leak

hang on let me pick a name and a date outta my hat and get on /v/ real quick

I don't think the website is any indication of how many characters each series will get. While the desktop website might show one thing, the mobile site is entirely different.

For example, while the Mario series appears to be completely filled on the desktop website, the mobile website setup makes it seem as if there's space for one more character.

Basically, I don't think any particular theory on slots or the website are going to bear any fruit unless somebody finds a way to get into placeholders on the website and what not, or finds a way to datamine something.
My apologies, since im barely able to keep up with these threads anymore. . .but are people ACTUALLY doing this again?

For anyone who believes that the website is a 100% for-sure indication of how many characters we get, you should probably go back a few years to when people did the exact same thing for Smash For. And if you look at SMash For's site it is extremely unparallel.

Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.
:061:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just wanted to say:
Were a SMT/Persona character to get in Smash, among all the myriad awesome songs that could be used...

"Break out of..." (P4 Arena Ultimax's main theme) should be one of them, the discussion earlier just reminded me of it's existence. :laugh:

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I mean you could get your mom to sew together a puppet of Waddle Dee, and this thread will be filled with people speculating if it's a real screenshot or not.
........****in' what?

There are people who just like laughing at the fake leaks we get, that doesn't mean any of them actually think ones credible. Actually, I can't remember the last leak someone actually said they believed in. Vergeben right after E3?

EDIT: Your post was a joke and I'm a moron please ignore. :nervous:

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
........****in' what?

There are people who just like laughing at the fake leaks we get, that doesn't mean any of them actually think ones credible. Actually, I can't remember the last leak someone actually said they believed in. Vergeben right after E3?
I mean the leak that was made prior to the NX reveal that used 3DS character models to prove how gullible people are? The obviously fake footage of the awful models of Spring Man and Decidueye where they just stand there and do nothing?

You'd be surprised what people will take seriously.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That counts as a leak now?
Criteria for a leak in my book is if the leak does one of or a combination of the following:
  • Present a full roster and attempt to pass it off as fact
  • Claim to have a "source"
  • Provide other information about the game or development
  • Provide other Nintendo or industry relevant information (i.e. Nintendo Direct dates and reveals)
While it doesn't necessarily meet any of those criteria, it meets a combination of the first and the fourth in that it provides a Nintendo or industry relevant claim and attempts to pass it off as fact.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Mario is angry, so who cares if Dark Pit smiles and gives a peace symbol or uses Sacred Treasures? Ice Climbers are obscure, so why can't we have Zess T. be a playable character? After all, Smash is just notorious for never adhering to any standards ever.
Not to detract from your point, but angry Mario was done in other games. Mario was extra mad as hell in Strikers.

He looks pretty happy in Ultimate by comparison.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Everything is a leak nowadays in this degenerate thread. Sakurai could post a picture of him eating cereal and you would make 22 pages of complete nonsense.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Just wanted to say:
Were a SMT/Persona character to get in Smash, among all the myriad awesome songs that could be used...

"Break out of..." (P4 Arena Ultimax's main theme) should be one of them, the discussion earlier just reminded me of it's existence. :laugh:
While not a fighting theme this was my Smash 4 menu when I did the Music hacking on my Wii U

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Everything is a leak nowadays in this degenerate thread. Sakurai could post a picture of him eating cereal and you would make 22 pages of complete nonsense.
Since we are so silly talking about Sakurai's love for Frosted Flakes (Tony the Tiger for Smash), why don't you suggest another topic of discussion o' wise one?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Criteria for a leak in my book is if the leak does one of or a combination of the following:
  • Present a full roster and attempt to pass it off as fact
  • Claim to have a "source"
  • Provide other information about the game or development
  • Provide other Nintendo or industry relevant information (i.e. Nintendo Direct dates and reveals)
While it doesn't necessarily meet any of those criteria, it meets a combination of the first and the fourth in that it provides a Nintendo or industry relevant claim and attempts to pass it off as fact.

All I'm saying is that I need my fake leaks to have a little bit more quality than "he reveal on sunday lol"

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
new_age_of_breakfast_by_theblackmarket.png

Y'know i've been waiting several years to use this image on a relevant topic.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I love this. This is the most common argument in the history of Smash fans. Characters have inconsistent traits, therefore the way we represent characters doesn't matter AT ALL.

The classic "anything goes" argument. Mario is angry, so who cares if Dark Pit smiles and gives a peace symbol or uses Sacred Treasures? Ice Climbers are obscure, so why can't we have Zess T. be a playable character? After all, Smash is just notorious for never adhering to any standards ever.

We found a few inconsistencies, so now nothing matters. Lolololololol.
That's quite the strawman, the point was that characters aren't 100% represented properly and liberties are taken. whether it's because of necessity or because Sakurai wants to for whatever reason. So in the case of Shadow being a Sonic clone, that it wouldn't be "completely representative" or him doing a windup punch would "look goofy" isn't going to deter Sakurai from making him a clone.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Shadow is a pure clone of Sonic during gameplay ever since SA2. The only game I can think off where he is his own thing is Sonic 06. Him being a echo of Sonic would actually make sense.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I desperately want it to end too but I can't help it. I MUST RESPOND.

THEN WE HAVE NOTHING TO ARGUE ABOUT. JOY OF JOYS!

Plenty of people have said that.....I'm too lazy to find it in 100s of pages though. When you quoted me you never admitted that the opposite could happen so I assumed that you genuinely believed Shadow's only chance was as a clone. But you don't think that so great.

I'm done with this discussion now.
I've been disputing people arguing why Shadow couldn't be a clone, my arguments have never been about whether it will happen or not.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Shadow is a pure clone of Sonic during gameplay ever since SA2. The only game I can think off where he is his own thing is Sonic 06. Him being a echo of Sonic would actually make sense.
Have you only played the main series games? Shadow plays differently (very differently) to Sonic in Sonic Battle.
Granted, Sonic Battle and Sonic '06 are the only games that come to mind for me (right now) that show a clear delineation between Sonic and Shadow.

What stage is this?
Uhhhh... Venom, maybe? I don't know. XD

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I've been disputing people claiming that Shadow couldn't be a clone, my arguments have never been about whether it will happen or not.
Thank you I know that now. I don't exactly keep a mental chart of who has been arguing what over the course of days. I just response to the post I see. Glad we actually seem to agree though. My apologies for assuming wrong.

Shadow is a pure clone of Sonic during gameplay ever since SA2.
Wrong. It's already been stated multiple times in this thread why that's wrong. The opposite is actually true. Shadow hasn't played exactly the same since Heroes iirc.

OK seriously, done now. I just used Omega's post as an excuse. Starting now.........yep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom