• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Can we get Sector Z AND Corneria?
Hopefully.

Corneria was essentially the successor to Sector Z, but made much more compact. It's also been given a redesign based off Star Fox Zero.

Sector Z could still work, though. Sector Z would most likely retain its Star Fox 64 design, so it's be visually different. It's also much larger than Corneria, so it's play differently, to some degree.

I think there's a chance we could see them both, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Okay, very late to the Pokemon Starter debate but...

Swampert > Sceptile > Greninja > Decidueye > Feraligatr > Typhlosion > Blaziken > Empoleon > Blastoise > Samurott > Incineroar > Serperior > Venusaur > Charizard > Emboar > Meganium >Torterra > Primarina > Infernape > Chesnaught > Delphox

Though admittedly if we're going by their first forms, my list would be fairly different.

Mudkip > Treecko > Bulbasaur > Charmander > Totodile > Turtwig > Oshawott > Froakie > Tepig > Rowlet > Squirtle > Cyndaquil > Snivy > Chespin > Popplio > Piplup > Torchic > Chimchar > Litten > Fennekin > Chikorita

Mudkip and Treecko's evolutionary lines for me, are my personal favourites, miles ahead of the others IMO.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Then you should be glad to hear that Zeraora is most likely out of the running due to the timing of the project plan.
I know. The idea of it tilts me is all. I don't consider him a threat by any means.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Dixie Kong is in this weird spot where she's too unique to be an echo fighter of Diddy but too similar to be worth developing as a full character. She might happen because of how popular she is, but I expect them to just add K. Rool instead. It's possible she'll be a semi-clone like Dr. Mario, but I don't see them adding another semi-clone for Ultimate when they seem to want to push them aside for echo fighters.
Ideally she would be a semi-clone and I'm sure she the majority would receive her well like that (I know there's some Dixie supporters who are very adamant that she can't be cloned off of Diddy in any way), but after Smash 4's push to have every newcomer be "super unique with a gimmick on top", I don't know if Sakurai will include a conventional semi-clone like Lucas again over a complete unique character, and if Sakurai wanted her in as an easy character, I can just see Sakurai throwing her in as a Diddy Echo to get her in for dirt cheap (normally would be impossible because of the tail, but Diddy's tail jab been replaced and his only other tail move is an easily replaceable edge getup attack).

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I really hope Poke Floats and Fountain of Dreams make in it. I never played Melee, but both of them seem like really cool stages.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What the hell is Flatzone X. And why don’t I know about it.

RIP Pokefloats and Fountain of Dreams.

:troll:
It was the Wii U Game and Watch stage that took elements from both previous Flatzones.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sector Z would be the ultimate 8 player Smash stage and it's fun for casual doubles.

Corneria's smaller and the better FFA casual stage. Both are distinct enough to work together.

If I had to guess cuts:

Miiverse - be very surprised if it comes back. It's a Battlefield clone and we now have Battlefield forms. It's gimmick cannot be replicated to make it stand out, nor was it a good idea to start with.
Flat Zone 1/2 - kind of hope it's 2 that goes, but one of them is definitely canned.
Rumble Falls - ok I just hope it is, but since DK could get a new stage and Hijinx is better it makes sense to remove a DK stage.
Rainbow Road - got a Mario Kart 8 stage that is similar in function
Mushroom Kingdom 1/2 - would prefer 64's but I think one being cut is definitely possible.
Mute City/Mute City GBA - same function. Hoping it is the Melee one that stays.
Icicle Mountain - it's a terrible stage that looked like it was shipped in beta stage. Can't see that coming back.

The rest have a 50/50 shot imo. Zebes, Kongo Jungle and Sector Z have a spiritual successor but that's not stopping Yoshi's Island....twice.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope that Mushroomy Kingdom isn't the sole SMB1 representation in Stages. The gimmick is cool but I want a pixel version too. I hope that the N64 version gets another shake.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Conspiracy time. What if Pirate Ship doesn't come back and we get Gangplank Galleon? :thinking:

Or we get Novis Seaway because boat maps.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I hope that Mushroomy Kingdom isn't the sole SMB1 representation in Stages. The gimmick is cool but I want a pixel version too. I hope that the N64 version gets another shake.
We're getting Super Mario Maker, which features an 8-bit SMB1 aesthetic. Close enough?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I hope we get Fountain, Delfino, Pirate Ship, KJ64, Big BF, and Peach's Castle 64 back.
Not only are some of those stages popular, they're all also some of my personal favorites.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
but I don't see them adding another semi-clone for Ultimate when they seem to want to push them aside for echo fighters.
Says who? You're acting like echo fighters are this hot new thing that will be heavily focused on in Ultimate. We don't know that. All we know is that the characters Dark Pit and Lucina are now branded as Echo Fighters and that they made one for Daisy. We don't even know if there's going to be any more echo fighters than that!

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Says who? You're acting like echo fighters are this hot new thing that will be heavily focused on in Ultimate. We don't know that. All we know is that the characters Dark Pit and Lucina are now branded as Echo Fighters and that they made one for Daisy. We don't even know if there's going to be any more echo fighters than that!
I'm not saying that with certainty! It's just an assumption, but it seems likely to me that they'll do so. And I'm doubtful there won't be more echo fighters announced.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If we're not getting every stage in the base game, I at least hope we get the remaining stages as DLC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The wording in the English version seemed to say to me that there'd be at least one more after her but A. Translation has screwed us over before, B. I could be reading into it too much.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm assuming there will be more echo fighters too. But that's no reason to assume that semi-clones are gone.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Conspiracy theory! The Echo brand was made as a way to justify Lucina and Dark Pit returning, and Daisy was revealed to legitimize it as a thing, but in reality there are no plans for more echo fighters! It was all a trick to dispell the flood of hate for clones.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Interesting, Would be a good time for a reveal but I'm not sure Nintendo would show up themselves unless they're really pushing for this one to be an eSport.

Though if another Street Fighter character is in...
(This isn't calling you out, just reminded me)
This reminds me too much of Sm4sh speculation. Nintendo rarely reveals anything Smash related at any kind of events, except for Directs and E3. We need to temper our expectations this time. Let's not make the same mistakes as last time!

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm not expecting anymore than two additional Echo fighters.

Although they are last-minute additions, Sakurai knows that aren't very well-liked. Just look at the negative reception towards Dark Pit and Lucina.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Conspiracy theory! The Echo brand was made as a way to justify Lucina and Dark Pit returning, and Daisy was revealed to legitimize it as a thing, but in reality there are no plans for more echo fighters! It was all a trick to dispell the flood of hate for clones.
The only extra Echo Fighter I can see 100% is Ken Masters (and even then he could also be a Semi-Clone). So I agree with you.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Heihachi would be much better than another SF character.
Despite not being a fan of Tekken, part of me wants Heihachi for a number of reasons:
-Link vs Heihachi, just make up for no Soul Calibur II on Wii U or Switch.
-Ryu vs Heihachi, just to give us a Street Fighter X Tekken that's actually good.
-Heihachi was part of Playstation All-Stars. If he gets in Smash, we can actually have the opportunity of Snake vs Cloud vs Heihachi that was missed. Extra points if Crash Bandicoot gets in for Nintendo Smash Bros vs Playstation All-Stars.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
People should probably treat the old veterans returning as newcomers for all intent and purposes. Same thing as Clones/Echoes.

If you're looking for 16-18 newcomers, you need to take Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Snake, Young Link, Daisy, Ridley and Inkling into account. That leaves you with 7-9 more characters with some of that number being Echo Fighters. At Best.
Completely disagree. Newcomers are newcomers. There's a reason Sakurai is emphasizing the order that each character joined the series. He's making it very clear that characters like Ice Climbers and Snake are "BACK" and they have the exact same movesets and animations (pretty much) as before, so work on them takes nowhere near as much as work on a newcomer does. He even made the echo fighter distinction this time around which actually somewhat negates Dark Pit and Lucina as Smash 4 newcomers.

That said, I'd be completely content with only getting 7-9 true newcomers (meaning not echo fighters).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Despite not being a fan of Tekken, part of me wants Heihachi for a number of reasons:
-Link vs Heihachi, just make up for no Soul Calibur II on Wii U or Switch.
-Ryu vs Heihachi, just to give us a Street Fighter X Tekken that's actually good.
-Heihachi was part of Playstation All-Stars. If he gets in Smash, we can actually have the opportunity of Snake vs Cloud vs Heihachi that was missed. Extra points if Crash Bandicoot gets in for Nintendo Smash Bros vs Playstation All-Stars.
Plus Bandai Namco are helping with Ultimate. They'd be remiss not to put him in there, especially after Pac-Man went over so well with the fanbase.

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Well, since everyone is doing it:

A: Charizard, Swampert, Sceptile, Greninja, Blastoise
B: Primarina, Decidueye, Feraligatr, Empoleon, Samurott, Meganium, Torterra, Venusaur
C: Emboar, Delphox, Serperior, Typhlosion
D: Blaziken, Incineroar, Infernape
E: Chesnaught
F: None

Here's my rough ranking. I like almost every starter's final form so I don't even have an F tier.
The fire/fighting Pokemon didn't fare well.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Have you played Smash 4? X is a combination of both stages.
Of course! I have Smash 3DS tho, not the Wii U version.

Oh and since I’m late to the Favorite Starter thing:

S: Sceptile, Decidueye, Charizard, Greninja
A: Blastoise, Swampurt, Primerina, Samurott, Blaziken, Arcadack?
C: Incenroar

I forgot about all the other starters, so they are probably in C after Incenroar, D and below.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking that Pac-Maze and Windy Hill may be on the chopping block so each 3rd party has one stage.

Hope I'm wrong...

KMDP

Smash Legend
(This isn't calling you out, just reminded me)
This reminds me too much of Sm4sh speculation. Nintendo rarely reveals anything Smash related at any kind of events, except for Directs and E3. We need to temper our expectations this time. Let's not make the same mistakes as last time!
Hmm... while I definitely agree with you, another factor to consider is that Nintendo have definitely changed their business practices somewhat since the last Smash Game's release. So, really, it could go either way.
I'll keep what you said in mind, though... :)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Starter tiers:

S: Blaziken
A: Meganium, Empoleon
B: Delphox, Venusaur, Seperior, Greninja, Decidueye
C: Incineroar, Blastoise, Infernape, Samurott
D: Primarina, Chesnaught, Torterra, Feraligatr
E: Typhlosion, Charizard, Sceptile, Swampert, Emboar

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Everyone is Here...we need to have Every Stage Here

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Plus Bandai Namco are helping with Ultimate. They'd be remiss not to put him in there, especially after Pac-Man went over so well with the fanbase.
The Tales fanbase wants a character too, Namco honestly has a lot of choices if Sakurai and them decide on a 2nd.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Potential fighters from Bandai Namco (besides, naturally, Pac-Man):
  • Heihachi (because Heihachi is usually their go-to crossover guy)
  • Nightmare (because he's Team Soul's mascot, and Link appeared in SCII)
  • Agumon (for that Pokémon vs. Digimon nostalgia)
That's how I see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom