• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Not every stage is coming back as quoted below:

...But I sure hope we get a new Mother stage. We've basically had a new one in every Smash game since Melee, so I hope there's a new stage- preferably something from Earthbound Beginnings.
Wasn't Magicant from Mother 1 but with the flying men from earthbound?

Shroob

Sup?
And here I am thinking that we'll get either 7, or more than 7, if only due to how the CSS will look.

If 7, we'll have 6 perfect rows of 12, with random button taking up slot 72.

The only issue I have with this is, there's no way in hell there's going to be 12 dlc characters.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
And here I am thinking that we'll get either 7, or more than 7, if only due to how the CSS will look.

The only issue I have with this is, there's no way in hell there's going to be 12 dlc characters.
I don't think we'll see 12 DLC characters. If anything, we'll probably get the same amount as Smash 4 did during its DLC cycle.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think we'll see 12 DLC characters. If anything, we'll probably get the same amount as Smash 4 did during its DLC cycle.
That's what I said.

My hope is the the roster is symmetrical like it was in 64, Brawl and Smash4(Online), so that's why I've always wanted the "7 more theory to be true", but then that puts DLC in an odd spot.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If we're talking about Namco reps we want, than my most wanted is definitely Nightmare, even though despite being pretty iconic too, they would definitely choose Heihachi over Nightmare. I would also be interested in a Tales rep, but as someone who didn't play Symphonia, my Tales character choice would be Yuri Lowell. Although I can see why they would likely choose Lloyd as he has significance with Nintendo fans and even got the Mii costume. My last wanted Namco character would be KOS-MOS. She would be pretty awesome to see. And considering how buddy buddy Namco has been with Nintendo and Monolith, with having KOS-MOS team up with Seven in Project X Zone 2 and KOS-MOS and TE-LOS in Xenoblade 2, it would be interesting to see KOS-MOS get into Smash with Shulk.
I think Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia) and Heihachi, getting Mii costumes are interesting. I think they should be the 2 main Namco people we look at.
What about Gil from Tower of Duraga(sp?) then? He's a Namco character who got a Mii costume.

That aside, admittingly, I am interested in seeing whether or not the DLC Mii Costumes will return for Mii Fighters. If not for the fact that I want the Rathalos Armor costume to return. Although talking about Nightmare, Yuri, and KOS-MOS, I'd also be fine with they got Mii costumes, with Nightmare and Yuri for Mii Swordfighter and KOS-MOS for Mii Gunner, as KOS-MOS does have her R-Cannon that can substitute for the Mii Gunner's cannon arm.

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I really don't want DLC, honestly. I've made it my point to not buy the DLC in Smash 4 because I don't want to support it and I'm gonna have to budge for Ultimate since I know this game is going to last for much longer.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If we're talking about Namco reps we want, than my most wanted is definitely Nightmare, even though despite being pretty iconic too, they would definitely choose Heihachi over Nightmare. I would also be interested in a Tales rep, but as someone who didn't play Symphonia, my Tales character choice would be Yuri Lowell. Although I can see why they would likely choose Lloyd as he has significance with Nintendo fans and even got the Mii costume. My last wanted Namco character would be KOS-MOS. She would be pretty awesome to see. And considering how buddy buddy Namco has been with Nintendo and Monolith, with having KOS-MOS team up with Seven in Project X Zone 2 and KOS-MOS and TE-LOS in Xenoblade 2, it would be interesting to see KOS-MOS get into Smash with Shulk.

What about Gil from Tower of Duraga(sp?) then? He's a Namco character who got a Mii costume.

That aside, admittingly, I am interested in seeing whether or not the DLC Mii Costumes will return for Mii Fighters. If not for the fact that I want the Rathalos Armor costume to return. Although talking about Nightmare, Yuri, and KOS-MOS, I'd also be fine with they got Mii costumes, with Nightmare and Yuri for Mii Swordfighter and KOS-MOS for Mii Gunner, as KOS-MOS does have her R-Cannon that can substitute for the Mii Gunner's cannon arm.
I forgot about Gil my mistake!

Also I think Yuri would be the more popular choice casually because he wins quite a bit of Tales popularity contests, but I think you're right Lloyd hit it good with Ninty people in particular (I love Symphonia still need to play Vesperia, thanks re-release coming out soonish!)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
And I am now crippling depressed
Why? I’m sure most of the unique/classic stages will still be brought back.

I get depressed in direct proportion to how Yoshi gets treated by Nintendo...

And considering he has the worst Dice Block in Super Mario Party...
Seriously, can you lay off it for a while? This thread doesn’t need a Yoshi reference every other page :p

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Honestly I think we'll be seeing a lot of DLC in this game. Most major Nintendo titles have received some substantial amount of DLC or added content via updates, like Breath of the Wild's two expansions, Splatoon 2's constant updates and the Octo Expansion adding a second story mode, Xenoblade Chronicles 2's added quests, Challenge Battle mode, and a second story mode, ARMS' character updates, etc.

I really don't want DLC, honestly. I've made it my point to not buy the DLC in Smash 4 because I don't want to support it and I'm gonna have to budge for Ultimate since I know this game is going to last for much longer.
May I ask why? I understand not supporting some DLC practices, but the way that Nintendo has handled DLC has been really good.

Also another text leak. 38 now. I wonder how many I'll have before the game releases.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422079576
No clue if these are all the other newcomers, but if not, I wouldn't expect too many more beyond these, given what Sakurai said.

Isabelle (not an echo, from what I heard)
Cranky Kong
Celica
"Alola Pokémon" (supposedly it was a toss up between Decidueye and Incineroar, but I'm not sure who they went with)
Elma

Also heard Sakurai wanted a Tetris stage, but given how the person seemed shaky on it, I think it might've been old or outdated info (which the Alola thing would support). But f*** it, here it is anyway. Enjoy.

How many text leaks do you think there'll be by the time the game releases? I'm guessing at least 200.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m curious as to why you disliked Smash 4’s use of DLC. If you don’t mind me asking, what made you not want to support it? Is it just a general dislike of DLC, or something specific to Smash?

EDIT: :ultgreninja:‘d

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I would lowkey want every announcer to return for Smash Ultimate. I would use Melee's announcer permanently.
I'd kind of only want this if this meant we got a challenge somewhere in the game where you fight 4 Master Hands at once. An N64 looking rendered one with the voice clips of the Smash 64 Master Hand, and three more Master hands with the voice clips of all the other announcers.

...Not all the Crazy hands though, because I think fighting 7 Boss hands at once would be insane.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman

The CSS looking nice is one of my reasons too, as 5 newcomers would make 5 rows of 14. And maybe 5 DLC characters on top of that to make 5 rows of 15. Though, this does rely on the Mii Fighters having a slot like in Smash 4, so my idea wouldn't work if someone doesn't make a Mii Fighter.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If we're talking about Namco reps we want, than my most wanted is definitely Nightmare
While I can't talk much about characters like Heihachi, Lloyd Irving or KOS-MOS, having not played their games; I can definitely envision how Nightmare would play.

I'm imagining a character who is very slow, but hits SUPER HARD, and heals himself in the process if he hits (for those unaware, Soul Edge allows it's wielder to absorb a small amount of the damage they deal). Could be a fun character.

Like, a more extreme sword fighter Ganondorf with self-healing properties.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
That's what I said.

My hope is the the roster is symmetrical like it was in 64, Brawl and Smash4(Online), so that's why I've always wanted the "7 more theory to be true", but then that puts DLC in an odd spot.
And I'm agreeing with you.

That being said, I do think the roster won't be symmetrical once DLC comes around, as much as I too want the contrary to happen. It was a little jarring to see Smash 4's complete roster be asymmetrical as it was, but I have faith Sakurai will make it look as nice he can with what space he has to work with.

He'll probably switch up the number of characters in each row to accommodate each DLC character's release.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
May I ask why? I understand not supporting some DLC practices, but the way that Nintendo has handled DLC has been really good.
I’m curious as to why you disliked Smash 4’s use of DLC. If you don’t mind me asking, what made you not want to support it? Is it just a general dislike of DLC, or something specific to Smash?
I should've clarified. I usually love DLC, but I don't like how Nintendo handled it for Smash 4 because they were overpriced (An issue that I have with a lot of DLC in the fighting genre. Why is it $60 for 50+ fighters but ~$35 for 7?) and DLC fighters can occasionally provide a strong advantage if poorly balanced which approaches pay to win territory. (cough) Bayonetta.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
While I can't talk much about characters like Heihachi, Lloyd Irving or KOS-MOS, having not played their games; I can definitely envision how Nightmare would play.

I'm imagining a character who is very slow, but hits SUPER HARD, and heals himself in the process if he hits (for those unaware, Soul Edge allows it's wielder to absorb a small amount of the damage they deal). Could be a fun character.

Like, a more extreme sword fighter Ganondorf with self-healing properties.
Eventhough i'm familar with Soul Calibur (I use Kilik). Whenever I think of a Swordie who heals himself with certain moves I think of Ragna from Blazblue, but that's probably because i've been playing BBtag a bit lately.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Did anyone ask for more text leaks? No? Take one anyways.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422069971
Newcomers:
>Inkling
>Ridley
>K. Rool
>Mimikyu
>Elma
>Tibby (Rhythm Heaven)
>Lip
>Hanafuda Captain
>Simon Belmont
>Geno
>Rayman

Echo Fighters:
>Daisy
>Chrom
>Octoling
>Shadow

Other Stuff:
>Fountain Of Dreams, Delfino Plaza, Mushroom Kingdom I, PokeFloats, and Kongo Jungle are coming back.
>Every previous announcer from the series will return, along with a new announcer.
>Several BEMANI composers are being brought on to work on some remixes
>and finally, Story Mode is returning and there will voice acting in it.
This seems like the best possible timeline, but it's likely fake.

For the sake of discussion: out of the many fake text leaks we've seen (I have 37 logged so far), which one has been your favorite?
I'd happily take this one but I'd be disappointed with the lack of Ashley. I actually feel like she needs to be in the game more than Mimikyu....which is weird since I've never even played Warioland.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm always cripplingly depressed. We can keep each other company.
I would like that
Why? I’m sure most of the unique/classic stages will still be brought back.
The chances for Fountain if Dreams/Poke Floats/Pirate Ship/Delfino Plaza might’ve been decreased...and imma scared

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Seriously, can you lay off it for a while? This thread doesn’t need a Yoshi reference every other page :p
I do lay it off every once in a while. I talk about Xenoblade, Zelda, Metroid, other Mario stuff all the time. Forgive me if I talk about the character I have the closest reference to.

Also don't take everything I say to heart...

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Honestly I think we'll be seeing a lot of DLC in this game. Most major Nintendo titles have received some substantial amount of DLC or added content via updates, like Breath of the Wild's two expansions, Splatoon 2's constant updates and the Octo Expansion adding a second story mode, Xenoblade Chronicles 2's added quests, Challenge Battle mode, and a second story mode, ARMS' character updates, etc.

Also another text leak. 38 now. I wonder how many I'll have before the game releases.
No clue if these are all the other newcomers, but if not, I wouldn't expect too many more beyond these, given what Sakurai said.

Cranky Kong
Celica
"Alola Pokémon" (supposedly it was a toss up between Decidueye and Incineroar, but I'm not sure who they went with)
Elma

Also heard Sakurai wanted a Tetris stage, but given how the person seemed shaky on it, I think it might've been old or outdated info (which the Alola thing would support). But f*** it, here it is anyway. Enjoy.

How many text leaks do you think there'll be by the time the game releases? I'm guessing at least 200.
I hope they expand on the types of DLC that they could sell. I'd be super down for having purchasable costumes a la Mario's wedding and builder outfits.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
And I am now crippling depressed
This could possibly refer to combined stages (Flat Zone, Pictochat, Battlefield, Final Destination). Though, I was kind of hoping to see the unplayable stages from Smash 64 finally become playable.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Eventhough i'm familar with Soul Calibur (I use Kilik). Whenever I think of a Swordie who heals himself with certain moves I think of Ragna from Blazblue, but that's probably because i've been playing BBtag a bit lately.
I use Kilik too (as well as Mitsurugi).

Part of the reason I want Nightmare (besides, you know, actually liking him), is that I'd like to see a Giant Sword fighter who's style feels as heavy as the sword looks, unlike Ike and Cloud (I like these guys too, just making a point here that Nightmare would be unique).

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Not every stage could just mean Miiverse isn't coming back, because it's so redundant now with Battlefield, Dream Land 64 and Yoshi's Story here.

Though I'm still not anticipating Golden Plains or Pac-Maze as they relied on 3DS quirks of everyone having their own screen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we were to get one more fighter from the Mother series, who would it be? I would say "Ninten" since we just got Earthbound Beginnings not too long ago, but if Sakurai wanted to add more villains, I can actually see regular Porky getting in.
In terms of consensus, the Masked Man seems to be the most likely candidate. Besides being the most appropriate rival for Lucas to fight, he would also have a unique moveset to use, owing to his cybernetic enhancements. It helps that other Mother candidates like Poo and Kumatora have been deconfirmed already. Not really banking on him to show up this time, but he is certainly favored over a lot of other rep choices.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
In terms of consensus, the Masked Man seems to be the most likely candidate. Besides being the most appropriate rival for Lucas to fight, he would also have a unique moveset to use, owing to his cybernetic enhancements. It helps that other Mother candidates like Poo and Kumatora have been deconfirmed already. Not really banking on him to show up this time, but he is certainly favored over a lot of other rep choices.
I think Porky would be the better choice as he's relevant to both Lucas and Ness, is an all around asshole and has a **** ton of moveset potential. Outside of original characters Giygas could work as a Mewtwo echo.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This could possibly refer to combined stages (Flat Zone, Pictochat, Battlefield, Final Destination). Though, I was kind of hoping to see the unplayable stages from Smash 64 finally become playable.
If it ends up just being those stages than my hope for an HD Fountain of Dreams on a Nintendo system can be achieved

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Porky would be the better choice as he's relevant to both Lucas and Ness, is an all around ******* and has a **** ton of moveset potential. Outside of original characters Giygas could work as a Mewtwo echo.
True there. Only small issue is that if he uses his spider mech (almost certain, since Porky kind of never relies on anything but) it would need the Ridley treatment.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Cranky Kong
Celica
Elma

I want this one to be true, so that means it's definitely fake. :p

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Random thought: We have four stages, several assist trophies, two characters, updated final smashes for said two characters, and probably several more things I can't think of from the Mother series. Unless one of the gimmicks for this game is later revealed to be "every stage is coming back too!", that's a crap-ton of love for Mother.

If we were to get one more fighter from the Mother series, who would it be? I would say "Ninten" since we just got Earthbound Beginnings not too long ago, but if Sakurai wanted to add more villains, I can actually see regular Porky getting in.
Coming back to this since I didn't answer the first time, Ninten, Masked Man and Porky seems to be the general consensus outside of people clamouring for characters like Kumatora.

Ninten, as much as I don't like it, will probably be a Ness echo if he got in. Masked Man would be a good fit for a villain if Sakurai wants to add more of them, and I'd personally prefer him over Porky when it comes to being playable in Smash.

To actually answer your question, I'd lean more towards Ninten since it'd be easier on Sakurai to make him an echo of Ness than having to make a unique moveset for the Masked Man, even though assets from Lucas could be used to make things a little easier on development time.

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Random thought: We have four stages, several assist trophies, two characters, updated final smashes for said two characters, and probably several more things I can't think of from the Mother series. Unless one of the gimmicks for this game is later revealed to be "every stage is coming back too!", that's a crap-ton of love for Mother.

First post time: I think Porky makes the most sense. This kid has been in more mother games than either of the two mother reps that are currently in the game and he played a pretty significant role in those two games, the spider-mech would be an interesting idea for a unique gameplay style and he already has his own stage and music in the game. He also appeared as a boss in Brawl so that would help too.

I'd be down for a Ninten echo fighter though.

Wambo

Smash Ace
True there. Only small issue is that if he uses his spider mech (almost certain, since Porky kind of never relies on anything but) it would need the Ridley treatment.
If Porky DID get in, I think it would be without his mech. Masked Man makes more sense, though, I don't think Porky is useful outside of his mech.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I want this one to be true, so that means it's definitely fake. :p
"Alola Pokémon" (supposedly it was a toss up between Decidueye and Incineroar, but I'm not sure who they went with) "

Alright, homie don't stay in echo chambers too long you'll go deaf:denzel:.

If Porky DID get in, I think it would be without his mech. Masked Man makes more sense, though, I don't think Porky is useful outside of his mech.
From what angle?

I mean he IS from one game while Porky is from two and has a personal connection with both of the MOTHER boys, not just one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom