• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Alright, here's a new game: Name 3 songs that you want to have in SSBU, regardless of how likely or unlikely they are to get in. 3 songs that you want to Smash to so badly, you'd let Link near your prized pottery collection for at least 30 seconds, just to ensure that they get into the game. They all must be from different franchises. Songs from all franchises owned by Nintendo and their 2nd parties, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix are all fair game, but no music from games not developed/published by any of these companies.

My List:
1. Wave Ocean ~ The Inlet (Sonic the Hedgehog (2006))
I hate just about everything in this game... except for the music. The vast majority (looking at you and your Midis, Chronicles) of Sonic games have amazing soundtracks, and 2006 is no exception. This is hands down my favorite track from 2006, it is the very definition of speed to me, and I'd love to fight with it playing in the background.

2. That Person's Name Is (Bravely Default)
I'd love to get music from other SE series aside from FF, and this is my number one choice. I loved BD as well as its music, and this track is a perfect fit for Smash, imho.

3. Battle! Aqua/Magma Leader (Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)
Easily my favorite track from any and all Pokémon games, hands down. Being a Hoenn fanboy, I really want to see music from ORAS in SSBU, and this one is a must.
It Has To Be This Way - Metal Gear Rising

Even if it's just the instrumental, like the Snake Eater theme was, we NEED Metal Gear Rising music now that Snake's back.

Guile's Theme - Super Street Fighter II

It goes with everything. (also, it's really catchy, and they could use more Street Fighter music)

Mor Ardain - Roaming the Wastes - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I haven't even reached this point in Xenoblade 2, but this music seems like a perfect fit for a Smash stage.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Alright, here's a new game: Name 3 songs that you want to have in SSBU, regardless of how likely or unlikely they are to get in. 3 songs that you want to Smash to so badly, you'd let Link near your prized pottery collection for at least 30 seconds, just to ensure that they get into the game. They all must be from different franchises. Songs from all franchises owned by Nintendo and their 2nd parties, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix are all fair game, but no music from games not developed/published by any of these companies.

My List:
I hate just about everything in this game... except for the music. The vast majority (looking at you and your Midis, Chronicles) of Sonic games have amazing soundtracks, and 2006 is no exception. This is hands down my favorite track from 2006, it is the very definition of speed to me, and I'd love to fight with it playing in the background.

I'd love to get music from other SE series aside from FF, and this is my number one choice. I loved BD as well as its music, and this track is a perfect fit for Smash, imho.

Easily my favorite track from any and all Pokémon games, hands down. Being a Hoenn fanboy, I really want to see music from ORAS in SSBU, and this one is a must.
1) New Age Retro Hippie (Earthbound)
I’d take the original, but I’d also like a remix of it, maybe making it fit a bit better into a fighting game, kinda like what they did for the Earthbound shop music in Brawl.

2) Guile’s Theme (Street Fighter)
Probably the most iconic Street Fighter song. Even people who know nothing about Street Fighter have probably heard this song. I was kinda surprised when it didn’t come in with Ryu in Smash 4. Hopefully it comes around this time.

3) Fly Octo Fly (Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion)
The Octo Expansion has a godly soundtrack, and this track is my personal favorite. I don’t see it getting in due to the Octo Expansion just releasing recently, when Smash was in development for over two years, but I’d love it nonetheless. It’s my most wanted track out of the three I listed. Please Sakurai.

Last edited:

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
Another Xenoblade character is the only thing missing to make Ultimate the truely ultimate Smash experience for me because I don't like Shulk that much. So my hopes for Elma are high. But because Sakurai said not to expect many newcomers and other characters probably being higher priority I'm not really optimistic. There is still DLC tho

Pakky

Smash Hero
I got a hunch that one of these two
or someone from Xenoblade are going to make it in the base game.

The ARMs interview that came out a few weeks ago always felt weird to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I got a hunch that one of these two
or someone from Xenoblade are going to make it in the base game.

The ARMs interview that came out a few weeks ago always felt weird to me.
Do we finally have a bet?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Alright, I'll share mine.

1. Bloody Tears (Castlevania) - can be from any game, or even a new remix

(brought the GaMetal one to show the potential of a new remix)

2. Juri's Theme (Street Fighter) - either the original from SSF4 or a new remix, don't want to see the bad SFV one

3. J-E-N-O-V-A (Final Fantasy VII) - can be the original, the Advent Children version or a new remix

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here's an idea.
What if we had a "Super Fan Music Pack" as DLC?
Like, covers by "Tee Lopes", "Smooth McGroove". "PokeMixr92", "Pokeli"/"Mixeli", "PPF", "Insane in the Rain", "Dr. Pez - VGM" and other Video Game cover artists? Also songs by groups like "StarBomb" and "Big Bad Bosses", but those guys don't do covers.

Dr. Pez was recognised by Tsukasa Tawada (the guy who composed Pokémon Colosseum's music) for his Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD remix medleys and Tee Lopes is obvious.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
But an animal crossing character was deliberately kept out because Sakurai didn't want one, having just a stage in that case makes sense. If anything those stages would be released as DLC with their respective characters, I think it'd be odd to give those games in particular just have stages.
Although I agree that getting an ARMs stage without a fighter would feel weird, I'll take it for now if it means we can get ARMS music.

Just add a character in dlc and I'll be good lol.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
What are you guys thoughts on Elma's chances?
If there is going to be a Xenoblade newcomer, Elma would be the mostly likely given the timing of the game plan for Ultimate. Rex or anyone from XC2 would of likely required too many assumptions to give them only a slight chance.

Is it just me or are people starting to jump on Isaac now? I see more people genuinely predicting him now
Isaac has always had a quite a few supporters. Right now given his Assist Trophy has not been shown to be a thing and that Ridley got in, being another character that has been requested for a long time, has revigored some who had entirely given up on characters such as Isaac.

GIBBERT64

Smash Rookie
What if they change greninja's final smash and makes it ash greninja and it shoots a huge water shrunken and blasts off everybody off the stage

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
What if they change greninja's final smash and makes it ash greninja and it shoots a huge water shrunken and blasts off everybody off the stage
Probably little reason to since Greninja's final smash already seems to fit the 'Get it done and back to action' direction they seem to be taking with the Final Smashes this time around.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Is it just me or are people starting to jump on Isaac now? I see more people genuinely predicting him now
Well, Isaac was the only character I voted for on the ballot, and I was only a lurker of SmashBoards back then. So I definitely didn't just suddenly jump on an Isaac bandwagon.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If that happens, then the "no anime" rule regarding Pokémon will be finally broken and detractors will lose another argument against Team Rocket Meowth joining the battle as a new playable fighter.

GIBBERT64

Smash Rookie
If that happens, then the "no anime" rule regarding Pokémon will be finally broken and detractors will lose another argument against Team Rocket Meowth joining the battle as a new playable fighter.
But ash greninja has been in the main Pokemon games before in sun and moon

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
And yet Lucario is the one from the anime since it speaks, and is voiced by Sean Schemmel, who voiced him in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. There's no Lucario in the games that can speak English.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And Team Rocket Meowth has been in main Pokémon games before in Yellow.

Detractors told me that Team Rocket Meowth cannot be in Smash because it was in the anime first before it was in the games.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Ash Greninja is obviously from the anime originally, it has Ash in its name. Ash has never appeared in any main series Pokémon games, and if you honestly think that Ash = Red, you're horribly mistaken. Ash Greninja appeared in XY&Z (the first episode it appeared in aired in Japan in December of 2015, well over a month before Sun and Moon were even announced) before the Sun and Moon demo, in which it was literally given to you as "a gift from Ash."

D

Deleted member

My List:

#1 - Still, Move Forward! (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

#2 - Battle! Colress

#3 - Vs. Diggernaut

In the same year Xenoblade X released they started planning for Xenoblade 2, and this was all before the project plan went through. The series had a clear future at that point in time and upward momentum, why wouldn't you promote it with another fighter?
Arguing that Shulk is all you need for Xenoblade is like arguing Marth is all you need for Fire Emblem, there's more to the franchise than just the face. If the franchise has a future and it has potential for fighters, it can get newcomers.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

My List:

1. Guile's Theme - Street Fighter II

2. Bowser's Road - Super Mario 64

3. Ultra Wormhole Theme - Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And yet Lucario is the one from the anime since it speaks, and is voiced by Sean Schemmel, who voiced him in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. There's no Lucario in the games that can speak English.
Oh really? That's interesting. Hmm...

Lucario's movie, the one where Lucario speaks, came out in 2005. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl came out in 2006. Hmm...

So Lucario in Brawl is the one from the movie and not from the games. But SSB4 has Lucario becoming Mega Lucario, something Lucario from the movie didn't do, which means Lucario in SSB4 is a mix of both the movie and the games.

If Meowth gets in Smash as a new playable fighter, it would be a mix of both the anime and the games. Team Rocket Meowth in the anime may not know Pay Day BUT Team Rocket Meowth in Pokémon Yellow knows Pay Day. Hmm... so Meowth in Smash could still be affiliated with Team Rocket, and could still talk, and could still know Pay Day.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Oh really? That's interesting. Hmm...

Lucario's movie, the one where Lucario speaks, came out in 2005. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl came out in 2006. Hmm...

So Lucario in Brawl is the one from the movie and not from the games. But SSB4 has Lucario becoming Mega Lucario, something Lucario from the movie didn't do, which means Lucario in SSB4 is a mix of both the movie and the games.

If Meowth gets in Smash as a new playable fighter, it would be a mix of both the anime and the games. Team Rocket Meowth in the anime may not know Pay Day BUT Team Rocket Meowth in Pokémon Yellow knows Pay Day. Hmm... so Meowth in Smash could still be affiliated with Team Rocket, and could still talk, and could still know Pay Day.
Arguably the Lucario from the movie can mega evolve, it just needs a mega stone lol.

I'm looking this up because I forget but doesn't the Japanese Mewtwo speak in Melee and possibly also Smash 4? That would be another anime reference. The anime does reflect several of the Pokemon honestly (looking at you Jiggly).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm looking this up because I forget but doesn't the Japanese Mewtwo speak in Melee and possibly also Smash 4? That would be another anime reference. The anime does reflect several of the Pokemon honestly (looking at you Jiggly).
Exactly. I know for sure I won't be the only one getting hyped if Meowth got in Smash as a new playable fighter and he brought Team Rocket with him. I am positive there is a large overlap between people who play Smash games, people who play Pokémon games, and people who watch the Pokémon anime.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It would be like Bowser's or ganondorf
Not sure if I'd consider those the best examples. Bowser was changed because they seemed to be moving away from the 'transform and control character' kind of final smashes, so they turned Giga Bowser into a targetting Final Smash instead. Ganondorf is mostly an aesthetic difference as he is being based on Ocarina of Time rather then Twilight Princess, otherwise his final smash is basically the same concept as before.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From what I've heard. Ash-Greninja was initially meant to be an anime exclusive thing. It only made it into the games due to its high popularity in the anime.

So if you don't count Misty's trophy in Melee or Mewtwo and Lucario and their heavy inspiration to their movie counterparts (Not to mention the whole Pokemon saying their own name thing). If Greninja can transform into Ash-Greninja in Smash (Be it Final Smash or whatever) then that will mark the first time Smash made a large callback to something that completely originated in the Pokemon anime.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From what I've heard. Ash-Greninja was initially meant to be an anime exclusive thing. It only made it into the games due to its high popularity in the anime.

So if you don't count Misty's trophy in Melee or Mewtwo and Lucario and their heavy inspiration to their movie counterparts (Not to mention the whole Pokemon saying their own name thing). If Greninja can transform into Ash-Greninja in Smash (Be it Final Smash or whatever) then that will mark the first time Smash made a large callback to tsomething that completely originated in the Pokemon anime.
There's also the fact TR's Meowth himself was referenced in Smash before....

But Meowth is wimpy cat.
We need a real beast of a cat.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
i still can't believe litten became bipedal

idk, this is off topic, but i had such high hopes for it to be our first quadruped fire starter

but EVERY one of them is bipedal. at least typhlosion is both but still.... when i first saw Litten I thought it'd save us from the bipedal curse :^(

like, grass starters? venusaur, meganium, and torterra are quadruped... and serperior has no limbs lol
water has samurott and primarina. but fire? n o t h i n g :^((((((

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
i still can't believe litten became bipedal

idk, this is off topic, but i had such high hopes for it to be our first quadruped fire starter

but EVERY one of them is bipedal. at least typhlosion is both but still.... when i first saw Litten I thought it'd save us from the bipedal curse :^(

like, grass starters? venusaur, meganium, and torterra are quadruped... and serperior has no limbs lol
water has samurott and primarina. but fire? n o t h i n g :^((((((
Primarina is a seal, so it doesn't have four legs, which is like, the most important thing about being a quadrupedal being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom