• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Alright.

Your goal is to add new Nintendo IPs to Smash. These IPs will have playable representation.

However, the IPs must follow this pattern.

1 IP that debuted in the 1980s
1 IP that debuted in the 1990s
1 IP that debuted in the 2000s
3 IPs that debuted in the 2010s

Advertising still matters.

What do you choose?

1980s:
Mike Jones (Startropics, Debut: 1990)

1990s:
Issac (Golden Sun, Debut: 2001)

2000s:
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo, Debut: 2005)

2010s:
Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven, Debut: 2009)
Spring Man (ARMS, Debut: 2017)
Labo Man (Nintendo LABO, Debut: 2018)

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Alright.

Your goal is to add new Nintendo IPs to Smash. These IPs will have playable representation.

However, the IPs must follow this pattern.

1 IP that debuted in the 1980s
1 IP that debuted in the 1990s
1 IP that debuted in the 2000s
3 IPs that debuted in the 2010s

Advertising still matters.

What do you choose?
1980s: I'd say Mach Rider. Could be an interesting Retro Revival. Ice Climbers revival or Kid Icarus Uprising 2 when Nintendo?
1990s: Ray MK II for Custom Robo to tie in with a new Custom Robo revival game.
2000s: Isaac - Ties in with a Golden Sun remake of both the first game and The Lost Age as one game for the Nintendo Switch, developed with assistance from the Bravely Default team at Square Enix for some new content
2010s: Wonder Red from The Wonderful 101 (Yes please to that and a Wonderful 102), Spring Man from ARMS for an ARMS sequel, or ARMS Turbo Hyper Edition, and lastly Henry Fleming for Codename S.T.E.A.M to port the game to Switch in hopes of a revival for the IP.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'll start on Part 3 of my "Opinions of Smash Characters Outside of Smash" series of threads tomorrow. This will deal with the Brawl roster.

My love for Yoshi is so great that it kinda pushes other characters away from me, so I find funny how Brawl makes a perfect analogy for my opinions. Characters I hold in high esteem is like being "great" in Brawl. Doesn't really hold much weight when one character dominates the whole thing.

In other words, :ultyoshi: is :ultmetaknight:. You heard it here first!!! :yoshi:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a while, finally decided to make an account.

Kinda off-topic, but I've seen a lot of crazy predictions here the past few days. Thought I'd post mine and see if anyone was willing to debate with me over them.

-K.Rool (Most popular after Ridley. Had a Mii costume, did well in the ballot, popularity is known by Sakurai)
-Geno (The same case as K.Rool pretty much, but more likely as DLC. Hell, if Mother gets four stages and two characters, this dude can get in with some SMRPG music. A Forest Maze or Nimbus Land stage would be lovely too, but that feels like pushing it)
-Chrom (I haven't played his game, but I know he's popular in Fire Emblem and he makes sense. Plus, we haven't seen Robin's final smash yet)
-Isaac/Lloyd (Honestly, I can either see one or the other. I think Isaac has had more games, so I'm putting him over Lloyd, but a second Namco rep makes sense. Plus, Lloyd had a Mii costume.)
-Dark Samus (Echo fighter. Putting this one only because a lot of people were talking about it, and filling out Metroid's reps more makes sense)
-Shadow (Same case as Dark Samus. Wouldn't be mad if neither of them got in, but they'd still be welcome)

These are my six "safe bet" characters (give or take the last two), but I'm sticking with 10 new fighters like everyone else has been guessing (these, including Ridley, Inkling, and Daisy). These just make the most sense to me. Thoughts?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is it me, or does no one ever talked yet about the upcoming FE Three Houses game and its chances of representation in Smash?

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
Practically no chance for base game, Practically guaranteed for DLC. I want the white haired girl with the axe.
Yeah I'm certain not in the base game too but I'm also not 100% sure if we get a DLC character. I thought we would get Elma this way in Smash 4 but it didn't happen. I hope I'm wrong tho

Wambo

Smash Ace
Is it me, or does no one ever talked yet about the upcoming FE Three Houses game and its chances of representation in Smash?
Personally, I think Chrom would make it in before any other FE characters. Smash Ultimate feels a lot like Sakurai is trying to "send off" a whole era of Smash before another one is ever made (involving a long list of retired fighters), and I feel like Chrom is a part of that era.

But who knows, we could get one more from Three Houses to have an complete set of 8 for 8-player Smash.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I purposely avoid talking about it just because I know it's a possibility. How many times do we have to throw a bone to FE? If Three Houses gets a rep, then we'll technically have three FE characters who got in because of promotion.

At the very least, I hope we'll get someone who plays unusually like Robin. Not holding my breath though.

Personally, I think Chrom would make it in before any other FE characters. Smash Ultimate feels a lot like Sakurai is trying to "send off" a whole era of Smash before another one is ever made (involving a long list of retired fighters), and I feel like Chrom is a part of that era.

But who knows, we could get one more from Three Houses to have an complete set of 8 for 8-player Smash.
We already have Robin and Lucina from Awakening.

I honestly don't see a good reason for Sakurai to add Chrom over the vast majority of potential newcomers unless he was desperate for an Ike Echo (which is ironically what prevented Chrom from getting in Smash 4). It stinks for Chrom's fans that the guy never got in, but just like with Zoroark, Genesect, and every other popular Gen V Pokemon, it's not likely that his game will be revisited when there's so many new upcoming titles in development.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
There is zero chance we'll get a Three Houses rep in this Smash game in my opinion. The project plan was drawn up in 2015 and Corrin can act as a newcomer to people that didn't buy the DLC. If we do get a FE newcomer, and even that I'm scpetical about, I reckon it'll be from Shadows of Valentia

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I did a crude comparison of Moray Towers between Ultimate and the two games to show how the stage in Ultimate is more based off how it looked in the first game than in the second game.
Smash Bros Moray Towers.png

Splatoon 1 Moray Towers Overview.png

Splatoon 2 Moray Towers Overview.png

Given that people were really mad about FE getting 6 characters as well as sakurai thinking that the franchise already had too many characters before Corrin was added, are you surprised?

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
My 12 character prediction for Smash Ultimate characters:

1. Ridley (Metroid)
2. Inkling (Splatoon; new series)
3. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
4. Ashley (WarioWare)
5. Simon Belmont (Castlevania; new series; third party)
6. Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven; new series)
7. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
8. Decidueye (Pokémon)
9. Isaac (Golden Sun; new series)
10. Daisy (Mario; echo fighter)
11. Shadow (Sonic; echo fighter)
12. Octoling (Splatoon; echo fighter)

Mostly popular demand characters, only Simon as a third party makes 8 third party characters, a nice number. Also, Sakurai loved to point out how many series there were represented in the E3 Direct. I think he thinks this is important. That's why there are another 3 new series making their debut: Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun and Castlevania.

What are your thoughts if this was the final roster? Would you be happy?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Doubtful; the series is categorized in Smash as FINAL FANTASY VII. All the Final Fantasy content we've gotten so far has been from FFVII, so why would the assist be different?
Nah the series in Smash is FF. Cloud's symbol is FF not FF VII.

The project plan was finalised in December 2015 literally right after Corrin and FE 3 Houses isn't out until next year, there's no chance of it getting any representation.

There is zero chance we'll get a Three Houses rep in this Smash game in my opinion. The project plan was drawn up in 2015 and Corrin can act as a newcomer to people that didn't buy the DLC. If we do get a FE newcomer, and even that I'm scpetical about, I reckon it'll be from Shadows of Valentia
The only FE newcomer that is possible is a Chrom as an echo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The project plan was finalised in December 2015 literally right after Corrin and FE 3 Houses isn't out until next year, there's no chance of it getting any representation.

Eh, I can see Three Houses getting a trophy, it's been delayed and we knew about it since last year

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I seriously thought this debate was over.

Say it with me:

SMASH. BROS. ULTIMATE. IS. A. NEW. GAME.
This. For the sake of comparison, Mega Man & Bass for the Super Famicom had similar graphics and engine to MM8, and no one called that a ******* port.

I know. But even thinking about it makes me irritated
If it helps you feel better, most of the characters in here technically have anime aesthetics already.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Former. Sakurai wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of bringing Snake back just to add a Bomberman AT out of that deal. There's likely to be something else in the cards.
Has Simon always been a requested character, or are people basing this on the Vergeban "leak"?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I've seen this "Chrom should be an echo of Ike" thing around a bit now and I kinda feel that it doesn't really make much sense. There isn't a connection between Chrom and Ike like there is between Marth and Lucina to justify him being an echo. Plus it wouldn't make sense for him to have the Eruption attack that Ike has. Having him be a heavier swordsman to differentiate him from Lucina works for me, but I honestly don't think him being an echo of Ike would make that much sense

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Has Simon always been a requested character, or are people basing this on the Vergeban "leak"?
I think a lot of it is Vergeben.

Not that Simon doesn't deserve it, but he was always just there before Vergeben mentioned him. Since then, though, he's in every leak.

Kinda funny how we're all expecting him because Snake is in. Remember when the rule was that we could only have one character per third-party company? Or before that when the rule was no third parties?

We may need to stop playing by our made up rules.

D

Deleted member

Hope I'm not too late for the 10 stages, 10 Pokeballs challenge.
Stages:
  1. Bowser's Castle :ultbowser:
  2. Ultra Space :ultpikachu:
  3. Jambastion :ultkirby:
  4. Bottomless Canyon :ultcorrin: (I don't care for Fates too much, but I've seen a really cool idea for a stage based on that location)
  5. Gangplank Galleon :ultdk:
  6. Tower of Fate (Shovel Knight)
  7. Dracula's Castle (Castlevania. Even if we don't get a Belmont, I'd want this purely for the music)
  8. Sky Pillar :ultpikachu:
  9. Dark Star :ultkirby:
  10. Mt. Dedede :ultkingdedede:
Poke Balls:
  1. Chandelure (Literally just because it's my favorite Pokemon and I think it's poorly represented as a Smash Run enemy)
  2. Mimikyu (Not sorry)
  3. Litten (It could easily replace Fennekin just like Snivy replaced Chikorita)
  4. Aegislash
  5. Galvantula
  6. Tapu Koko (It's almost guaranteed to have some kind of role)
  7. Rockruff
  8. Hawlucha
  9. Primarina
  10. Luxray

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's how I understand it.

Simon Belmont was wanted but people didn't say it as much due to the one character per 3rd party """""rule""""" meaning that if you wanted him in, Snake would be cut. Then Konami went Zubat-crap crazy and threw the baby out with the bathwater on Kojima (which may explain Death Stranding's themes...), and invested all their franchises in PACHINKO! so people lost all hope.

Now Konami has recovered to the point that they're not strangely adverse to making any money in the console games sector whatsoever, people want Simon in, especially now Ryu and Bayo showed us that we were seeing patterns where there were none.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Simon possibly getting in Smash is part of the reason why I'm not buying the "most newcomers will be extremely popular fan favorites" idea. I remember Simon being somewhat popular, but his support never reached the heights of other third-parties like Rayman, Bomberman, and Banjo. Calling him one of the most requested characters for Smash is extremely generous, and I feel like his inclusion would stem more from Sakurai wanting him rather than Smash fans.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I can't remember looking into Simon support pre Ryu (ie when 3rd parties could get a second character) but afterwards I did see some want for Simon with the addendum that Snake comes back first.

Same thing for Bomberman.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The most popular ballot characters would've been veterans anyways. By bringing everyone back he's easily knocked out most of the top 10 from any region. Ridley isn't exactly a character that only got in on fan demand either. He always had things going for him. We could easily see the rest of the roster being last-gen relevant picks like most Smash games used. We're getting less newcomers and there were less big releases last gen, so it'd gel just fine.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The most popular ballot characters would've been veterans anyways. By bringing everyone back he's easily knocked out most of the top 10 from any region. Ridley isn't exactly a character that only got in on fan demand either. He always had things going for him. We could easily see the rest of the roster being last-gen relevant picks like most Smash games used. We're getting less newcomers and there were less big releases last gen, so it'd gel just fine.
Ridley definitely got in on fan demand. Just probably not from the ballot.

Sakurai's been denying Rids with various reasons, and every game he gets asked about him by name. Plus with all of the memes, it's hard to not notice that Ridley is a ridiculously popular choice. I do think though that the he got hurt in the ballot because of his role in the game - correct me if I'm wrong, but it was only the Japanese ballot page that explicitly stated that they would use the data for future games; the rest just implied DLC for Sm4sh only. Not that people didn't pick up on that, but if we want to keep assuming there's this massive silent majority, they probably didn't get that memo and thus didn't vote for characters who already has roles in the game.

I know for fact that Wolf and Snake were really high on the ballot, less so Young Link, Pichu, and my boys Squirtle and Ivy. Still, all we really have to go on is fan polls, but there's not much info that we can get from that that hasn't been discussed a thousand times already. I do find it interesting that a lot of the top contenders we've had, though (Takamaru, Krystal, yes even Waluigi) are already confirmed as assists.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Maybe Wolf, Snake and Icies but certainly not pichu, young link, squirtle or ivysaur tbh, I doubt those 4 placed highly at all

Does a new Smash need to have a new Pokemon rep?
Not at all, if Sakurai decides to prioritise other characters over new pokemon then that's all on him, it's entirely his decision, it's not like Nintendo or Game Freak is gonna force him

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So the site hasn't done a new today's item or anything but today's fighter for a few days. Interesting.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Meowth's Party at the beginning of the video... that was Meowth's dream... to have his own game. RIP Meowth's dream :crying:

Haha. This is so ironic.

Back when we were speculating about Smash 4, people complained about the lack of information when it comes to characters... and some of them even complained about boring Pics of the Day about game modes because they wanted characters.

Now that Smash Ultimate gave us the whole roster in one go (except for unknown newcomers), some people still think they don't know anything about the games.
But Smash was never only about its roster (and even then, there are a few characters we have yet to see unveiled as you said). We have a bunch of Assist Trophies, Pokéball 'mons, stages, and items that are unrevealed so far as well. There's absolutely no word on what the single-player modes and offerings will be; no concrete info on how to unlock characters, how many stages we'll start with; no info on a very likely revamp of the menu and other layouts (what will the trophy gallery be like?) Plus the music, etc, etc.

The stages and items sections being locked right now on the official website are both an exciting and horrendous tease. What prevented them to just fill them with returning stages/items for the time being?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom