• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Maybe Wolf, Snake and Icies but certainly not pichu, young link, squirtle or ivysaur tbh, I doubt those 4 placed highly at all
They would've gotten votes on virtue of being in a previous Smash game alone, but you're right that doesn't necessarily mean they were way up there. We know that Bayonetta and Cloud would've been highscorers already though. Maybe Ridley or Inkling were also up there; Splatoon took off really fast and Ridley's always had a fanbase.

We already have 10 additions (compared to Wii U with DLC), and the ballot that ended in October 15 led to a proposal in December prioritizing all returning characters. Sakurai probably thought this would cover a large enough chunk of the ballot to be worth focusing on.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's my next Palutena's Guidance conversation...

:ultinkling:Inkling
  • Pit: What is that thing? I don't recall seeing it before.
  • Palutena: From what I've heard, that is an Inkling. It is a species of squid that can also change into a humanoid.
  • Viridi: Inklings came to existence after humanity was destroyed by rising ocean levels. They had to hunt for whatever habitable land was left, but the competition for land eventually lead to the creation of the "Turf Wars".
  • Pit: Turf Wars?
  • Viridi: Yes, Inklings come in many different colors, but they could only tolerate their own color of ink. Whenever they're hit by ink of a different color, the results are not pretty.
  • Pit: Ugh, I'm sure glad that I'm an angel. But what should I know about their fighting abilities?
  • Palutena: Inklings fight by using various weapons to spread ink all around them. If you get sprayed by their ink, you'll take greater damage from their attacks than normal.
  • Viridi: But their ink supply is limited. When empty, the Inklings have to refuel by diving into their own ink.
  • Palutena: An Inkling without ink is vulnerable, so try to use that weakness to your advantage.
  • Pit: Got it. I just hope that their ink isn't permanent.
  • Viridi: Their ink will disappear after a while, so you don't have to worry about staying dirty for the whole match.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Does a new Smash need to have a new Pokemon rep?
I suppose it technically doesn't, but not having one would be extremely silly from their second-only-to-Mario franchise.

Pokemon helps sell Smash copies. That's kinda just how it is.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think considering Rex is all but out because of the timing of the project plan (hopefully he'll be DLC) I'd say she has very high chances of being in

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What are you guys thoughts on Elma's chances?
They seem decent. Sakurai seems to like Xenoblade as a series, while development on XC2 started after they began work on Smash Ultimate. (Rex and Pyra could have been added later like Sonic, or based on concept art like Greninja, but it's hard to say for sure)

As far as Xenoblade Chronicles X characters are concerned, it seems like Elma would stand out more compared to Cross, who seems like a blank slate.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I don't think that Xenoblade Chronicles will receive a newcomer this time.
Shulk was a weird pick from Sakurai, since at that time Xenoblade was not as big as it is today.

I also thinks that Shulk represents the RPG elements and the series as a whole well enough. Xenoblade Chronicles X feels more like a MMO than a single-player RPG, and this sacrificed a bit of charisma and focus on the characters.

Not a problem with Elma in Smash, at the start I disliked her (I hate military-centered things) but she develops in a interesting way. I just don't think she would add something good to people who doesn't know her, I think would be a little underwhelming.
Take Ridley, for example... you can not know Ridley but want to play as some giant boss-like creature, so there's more appeal.

Also add a Xenoblade character would represent the series more than Animal Crossing, F-Zero...
Even interested to play as her if she makes in, but personally for me one is enough (from Xenoblade).

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Real or not, that sword looks like it was a prop made for one of your anime conventions, Otacon.

Otacon: That sword is called the Monado, and the guy wielding it is named Shulk. And it's the furthest thing from just a simple prop, the Monado is an extremely powerful weapon.

Snake: It looks like it's just a giant red piece of plastic, what makes it so powerful?

Otacon: It can manipulate ether around it, being able to change the material and immaterial shape of the world. The Monado also lets the user have visions of the future, helping them predict their opponents' moves.

Snake: ...wow, that sounds strong. Yet this Shulk guy swings it around like a giant toy.

Otacon: Oh, I almost forgot, the Monado can only be used by a person with very strong willpower, anyone else that tries to control it will only hurt themselves.

Snake: That sounds messed up...

Otacon: I think that's enough from me before I start to fanboy over seeing Shulk and the Monado in action. He looks so cool...

Snake: ...Right.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Simon possibly getting in Smash is part of the reason why I'm not buying the "most newcomers will be extremely popular fan favorites" idea. I remember Simon being somewhat popular, but his support never reached the heights of other third-parties like Rayman, Bomberman, and Banjo. Calling him one of the most requested characters for Smash is extremely generous, and I feel like his inclusion would stem more from Sakurai wanting him rather than Smash fans.
For me, the whole mostly popular fan favorites thing is gunna be more on the Nintendo side of characters....mayyyybe extending to Geno (I'm not confident in him necessarily though). Third party characters are hype no matter who they are anyway (well usually, Simon would be).

Also that isn't to say there won't be other Nintendo characters, like a new Pokemon and maybe Chorus Kids because they might have been planned for 4. It's so hard to say right now because the three newcomers are all fan favorites, but they also make sense for different reasons.
I just don't expect a Xenoblade character for base game. But if we get one I'd be surprised if it wasn't her.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
1. Mach Rider - You really don't much other choices for your NES reps anymore. You have Excitebiker (who is already with Mach Rider's biking gimmick minus guns and other abilities), Mike Jones (does Japan even know his existence?), and Urban Champion (has too little content I think unless you use my idea for him). So it has the most usable content and the most "relevancy" as far as non-deconfirmed NES characters go.

2. Lip - I don't recall that many 90s characters that were an IP that haven't been used yet. We also don't really have a puzzle-based character that isn't Dr. Mario, who barely even resembles his original puzzle games with just a megavitamin neutral special/final smash. People also go nuts because she's a girl.

3. Chibi-Robo or Isaac - Chibi-Robo is more niche but I have a bias for him, plus his series is actually dead. Isaac on the other hand has a more dedicated fanbase and Golden Sun is still kicking as far as I know.

4. Elma - Xenoblade X seemed to have pretty good sales, but Xenoblade 2 did better. However, Xenoblade 2 was probably not considered when Sakurai made the final proposition, so that boosts her chances. I don't think Gen 7 Pokemon is able to be easily predicted, and ARMS is too late to get considered by the final proposition. Your only other option is Wonder Red, who I don't see high demands for. He certainly has his fans, but Xenoblade has more.
There's actually one more reason for Mach rider

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...oy_purchase_is_related_to_his_current_project

I know actually secretly saying it's smash is a bit overkill but I heard this happened during or before smash ultimate development began

And if compare the robot to Mach rider they look alarmly similar and plus Mach rider does hold a gun and even the colors are similar

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Pretty good, if solely because she has so little competition. I think people definitely underestimate the X avatar though, since it would fit more with what XCX was going for. I can't say I really like avatar characters in crossover fighting games.

Take Ridley, for example... you can not know Ridley but want to play as some giant boss-like creature, so there's more appeal.
I think you're downplaying X/Elma a lot, but this stands out to me especially. Yes, who would want to play as cool-looking black lady that they know nothing about in a fighting game?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think they're good, Rex & Pyra are pretty much out so if we get a newcomer it's most likely her, it's just a question of if we'll get a newcomer from Xenoblade. However Nintendo's pushing the franchise, Sakurai himself is a fan of it, X was a major success for the wii u and was one of the biggest games released on the system and Elma herself would be a very unique character and we know Sakurai cares about uniqueness, there's no other character that could play the way elma could really. Also the mech toy he bought which looks suspiciously like a skell.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if Mach Rider will have male and female variants too.

One theory is the female seen is the sole other surivior that Mach Rider is hunting for but the game didn't give much to work with

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here's my next Palutena's Guidance conversation...

:ultinkling:Inkling
  • Pit: What is that thing? I don't recall seeing it before.
  • Palutena: From what I've heard, that is an Inkling. It is a species of squid that can also change into a humanoid.
  • Viridi: Inklings came to existence after humanity was destroyed by rising ocean levels. They had to hunt for whatever habitable land was left, but the competition for land eventually lead to the creation of the "Turf Wars".
  • Pit: Turf Wars?
  • Viridi: Yes, Inklings come in many different colors, but they could only tolerate their own color of ink. Whenever they're hit by ink of a different color, the results are not pretty.
  • Pit: Ugh, I'm sure glad that I'm an angel. But what should I know about their fighting abilities?
  • Palutena: Inklings fight by using various weapons to spread ink all around them. If you get sprayed by their ink, you'll take greater damage from their attacks than normal.
  • Viridi: But their ink supply is limited. When empty, the Inklings have to refuel by diving into their own ink.
  • Palutena: An Inkling without ink is vulnerable, so try to use that weakness to your advantage.
  • Pit: Got it. I just hope that their ink isn't permanent.
  • Viridi: Their ink will disappear after a while, so you don't have to worry about staying dirty for the whole match.
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Real or not, that sword looks like it was a prop made for one of your anime conventions, Otacon.

Otacon: That sword is called the Monado, and the guy wielding it is named Shulk. And it's the furthest thing from just a simple prop, the Monado is an extremely powerful weapon.

Snake: It looks like it's just a giant red piece of plastic, what makes it so powerful?

Otacon: It can manipulate ether around it, being able to change the material and immaterial shape of the world. The Monado also lets the user have visions of the future, helping them predict their opponents' moves.

Snake: ...wow, that sounds strong. Yet this Shulk guy swings it around like a giant toy.

Otacon: Oh, I almost forgot, the Monado can only be used by a person with very strong willpower, anyone else that tries to control it will only hurt themselves.

Snake: That sounds messed up...

Otacon: I think that's enough from me before I start to fanboy over seeing Shulk and the Monado in action. He looks so cool...

Snake: ...Right.
Good stuff from the both of ya

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think that Xenoblade Chronicles will receive a newcomer this time.
Shulk was a weird pick from Sakurai, since at that time Xenoblade was not as big as it is today.

I also thinks that Shulk represents the RPG elements and the series as a whole well enough. Xenoblade Chronicles X feels more like a MMO than a single-player RPG, and this sacrificed a bit of charisma and focus on the characters.

Not a problem with Elma in Smash, at the start I disliked her (I hate military-centered things) but she develops in a interesting way. I just don't think she would add something good to people who doesn't know her, I think would be a little underwhelming.

Also add a Xenoblade character would represent the series more than Animal Crossing, F-Zero...
Even interested to play as her if she makes in, but personally for me one is enough (from Xenoblade).
I agree. I feel like people are forgetting that the success of XC2 is what caused everyone to think a Xenoblade rep was likely in the first place. Elma would be unique, but I doubt Sakurai would've felt like her inclusion was absolutely necessary, especially now that there's a possibility that newcomers will be limited.

Honestly, if XC2 characters weren't considered for the base roster, I'd feel like Shulk would be enough for Xenoblade. Not every game needs a new rep.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I agree. I feel like people are forgetting that the success of XC2 is what caused everyone to think a Xenoblade rep was likely in the first place. Elma would be unique, but I doubt Sakurai would've felt like her inclusion was absolutely necessary, especially now that there's a possibility that newcomers will be limited.

Honestly, if XC2 characters weren't considered for the base roster, I'd feel like Shulk would be enough for Xenoblade. Not every game needs a new rep.
I mean people were thinking Rex was gonna get in before his game was even out, it being a success wasn't exactly the spark of that, and to be fair XCX was plenty successful in it's own right for a niche game on a dead console.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In the same year Xenoblade X released they started planning for Xenoblade 2, and this was all before the project plan went through. The series had a clear future at that point in time and upward momentum, why wouldn't you promote it with another fighter?
Arguing that Shulk is all you need for Xenoblade is like arguing Marth is all you need for Fire Emblem, there's more to the franchise than just the face. If the franchise has a future and it has potential for fighters, it can get newcomers.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I mean people were thinking Rex was gonna get in before his game was even out, it being a success wasn't exactly the spark of that, and to be fair XCX was plenty successful in it's own right for a niche game on a dead console.
So I don't think sales play as big of a part in character selection for Sakurai so I hate to keep harping on it, but I do think people exaggerate X's success. It did alright, but not well enough as to cite it as a reason Sakurai would look at X for a character.

My point being I don't think sales really figure into newcomer selection unless they are extremely high numbers, like if this project plan was after BOTW & Odyssey we could maybe expect characters from there (sort of like Rosalina). Yea idk, X did fine but did not sell well enough to point to sales as a reason why Xenoblade should get a newcomer.

EDIT: However to counter my point, I don't feel like looking it up but I don't imagine Fire Emblem games were doing super well around Brawl and we still got a Fire Emblem newcomer to represent those games. So it depends on if Sakurai saw Xenoblade X as a new Nintendo staple. Could be interesting to see Xenoblade be the new Fire Emblem (Japan exclusive, got a character in smash and series eventually began to become more popular world wide).

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Alright, here's a new game: Name 3 songs that you want to have in SSBU, regardless of how likely or unlikely they are to get in. 3 songs that you want to Smash to so badly, you'd let Link near your prized pottery collection for at least 30 seconds, just to ensure that they get into the game. They all must be from different franchises. Songs from all franchises owned by Nintendo and their 2nd parties, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix are all fair game, but no music from games not developed/published by any of these companies.

My List:
1. Wave Ocean ~ The Inlet (Sonic the Hedgehog (2006))
I hate just about everything in this game... except for the music. The vast majority (looking at you and your Midis, Chronicles) of Sonic games have amazing soundtracks, and 2006 is no exception. This is hands down my favorite track from 2006, it is the very definition of speed to me, and I'd love to fight with it playing in the background.

2. That Person's Name Is (Bravely Default)
I'd love to get music from other SE series aside from FF, and this is my number one choice. I loved BD as well as its music, and this track is a perfect fit for Smash, imho.

3. Battle! Aqua/Magma Leader (Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)
Easily my favorite track from any and all Pokémon games, hands down. Being a Hoenn fanboy, I really want to see music from ORAS in SSBU, and this one is a must.
”Vs Dr Coyle Hedlock” ARMS

”Rundas Battle” Metroid Prime 3

“Chrono’s Theme” Chrono Trigger

I almost included a track from Xenoblade X and Pokken Tournament but decided against it.

And a shameless plug of the playlist I made of hype-inducing tracks made for Smash music lovers of potential music in SSBU.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgu3SkCTCd6WRViKuZnam_uoBAb51JqLU

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I was looking at this old Japanese Smash Ballot poll and noticed over 1/2 of the characters are in the game in some way.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Another thing I don't quite understand is how people can still be under the impression that most of the new content we get won't be inspired from anything following the debut of the Switch. Almost everything we've seen so far is returning content, and out of the very little new stuff we saw, quite a bit focused specifically on the Switch. Heck, two of the three new stages are from Switch games.

Not saying the Switch will get the same attention as the GameCube and Wii did in Brawl and Smash 4 respectively, but I think it's silly to think the Wii U and 3DS are gonna be center stage.

splat

Smash Lord
Alright.

Your goal is to add new Nintendo IPs to Smash. These IPs will have playable representation.

However, the IPs must follow this pattern.

1 IP that debuted in the 1980s
1 IP that debuted in the 1990s
1 IP that debuted in the 2000s
3 IPs that debuted in the 2010s

Advertising still matters.

What do you choose?
New IPs, huh?

1980: Infantry Unit (Famicom Wars) - 1988
1990: Ray MK (Custom Robo) - 1999
2000: Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven) - 2008
2010: Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western ) - 2012
2010: Spring Man (ARMS) - 2017
2010: Mallo (Pushmo) - 2011

Pakky

Smash Hero
Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Another thing I don't quite understand is how people can still be under the impression that most of the new content we get won't be inspired from anything following the debut of the Switch. Almost everything we've seen so far is returning content, and out of the very little new stuff we saw, quite a bit focused specifically on the Switch. Heck, two of the three new stages are from Switch games.

Not saying the Switch will get the same attention as the GameCube and Wii did in Brawl and Smash 4 respectively, but I think it's silly to think the Wii U and 3DS are gonna be center stage.
I honestly think Breath of the Wild and Odyssey are special cases, Breath of the Wild was meant to be released in 2015 and Mario Odyssey was finished way earlier than it released if I remember, and it's possible that assets could've been reused to create the stages. I'll be shocked if we see anything from Arms, Xenoblade 2, Kirby Star Allies etc tbh.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I honestly think Breath of the Wild and Odyssey are special cases, Breath of the Wild was meant to be released in 2015 and Mario Odyssey was finished way earlier than it released if I remember, and it's possible that assets could've been reused to create the stages. I'll be shocked if we see anything from Arms, Xenoblade 2, Kirby Star Allies etc tbh.
Mario Kart 8 was released in May 2014, which was six months away from Smash Wii U's release.

At the very least, I'd say a stage from any of those titles you listed is fair game.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Mario Kart 8 was released in May 2014, which was six months away from Smash Wii U's release.

At the very least, I'd say a stage from any of those titles you listed is fair game.
Possibly, but for an Arms or Xenoblade 2 stage you're probably gonna need a character to go with them and that's probably not happening either. idk about Star Allies though in that case though, I imagine the Mario Kart 8 stage reused the original assets too, the same could apply here I guess

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alright, here's a new game: Name 3 songs that you want to have in SSBU, regardless of how likely or unlikely they are to get in. 3 songs that you want to Smash to so badly, you'd let Link near your prized pottery collection for at least 30 seconds, just to ensure that they get into the game. They all must be from different franchises. Songs from all franchises owned by Nintendo and their 2nd parties, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix are all fair game, but no music from games not developed/published by any of these companies.

My List:
I hate just about everything in this game... except for the music. The vast majority (looking at you and your Midis, Chronicles) of Sonic games have amazing soundtracks, and 2006 is no exception. This is hands down my favorite track from 2006, it is the very definition of speed to me, and I'd love to fight with it playing in the background.

I'd love to get music from other SE series aside from FF, and this is my number one choice. I loved BD as well as its music, and this track is a perfect fit for Smash, imho.

Easily my favorite track from any and all Pokémon games, hands down. Being a Hoenn fanboy, I really want to see music from ORAS in SSBU, and this one is a must.
Wanted to throw my two cents into this, might not link them because I'm on a Wii U Gamepad and Google/Youtube exists.

The Price of Freedom (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)
A melancholy battle song is just weird enough to justify fighting to.​
Bowser's Castle (New Super Mario Bros. DS/Fortune Street)
A great Bowser's Castle theme that is criminally underused in favour of it's Classic and NSMBW brethren.​
The Sacrifice and the Saint [Celica Map 2] (Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia)
This song is pretty great.​

Honorable mentions:
Aerith's Theme (Final Fantasy VII)​
Same reason as "The Price of Freedom", but in all honesty, this song is pretty likely if we get new Final Fantasy VII music.​
One-Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)/The World's Enemy - One Winged Angel (CC:FFVII)​
Base version is likely, Crisis Core variant is not.​
Alight (Fire Emblem: Fates)​
Really, I could go for almost all of Fates's battle songs.​
Twilight of the Gods (Fire Emblem: Gaiden/Fire Emblem: Echoes Shadows of Valentia)​
Fire Emblem Opera (Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade)​
A game manual in the form of an operatic song, seriously it's pretty funny if you know what they're singing about. :laugh:

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Not necessarily. Animal Crossing got a stage in Brawl despite Villager not being a character yet.
But an animal crossing character was deliberately kept out because Sakurai didn't want one, having just a stage in that case makes sense. If anything those stages would be released as DLC with their respective characters, I think it'd be odd to give those games in particular just have stages.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

My List:

1) Titania - Star Fox Zero

2) Corneria - Star Fox Zero

3) Elite Four Battle - Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But an animal crossing character was deliberately kept out because Sakurai didn't want one, having just a stage in that case makes sense. If anything those stages would be released as DLC with their respective characters, I think it'd be odd to give those games in particular just have stages.
Perhaps an ARMS or Xenoblade 2 stage could be compensation for the game's characters not being able to show up in time for Sakurai to notice them while making his project plan?

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Can't link to it because I'm on my phone, but if 'Alola Elite 4' isn't in the game, my pre-order is cancelled.

D

Deleted member

My List:

Wasn't sure about the last one. It was a tossup between this one and the Champion theme from Sun and Moon, but I wanted variety so I went with something from a less """child-friendly""" franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom