• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

She ranked higher than any individual character, though Ike's votes were separated by his PoR and RD designs so technically he had more votes overall.
You could vote for characters on the Heroes poll multiple times though, and we've seen in other popularity contests that her rank fluctuates (though she's still up around the top)
I don't think we'll get Lyn as a playable character thanks to her game being super old at this point but not retro (not to mention she'd likely just be a fast sword fighter with maybe a bow special), though she could feasibly get in as a Takamaru clone assuming he's in and the moveset fits well. I think AT is a good fit for her, but then again I don't really care about her so that's likely apathy speaking.
Yeah, I counted the total votes. That's why Ike comes in first, because total votes he gets just over 51,000. No one is able to knock Lyn off 2nd or even come close to doing so even with combined votes. It's fair to say she's the most popular female and 2nd most popular character in all of Fire Emblem.

As far as moveset goes. The battousai/ronin samurai trope is one of my favorite archetypes in media, and doubly so when it's a female Samurai. Baiken, Kenshin, Zorro, Yuzuriha, etc... I really like the archetype, and I won't go into detail as to what makes her different as I've covered this 1000x already. Just play her character from the Project M 4.0 leak, it's my moveset they used for her, and even though she's incomplete, they got the "feeling" right. It's easy to see how she's very distinct from any character currently on the roster.

>a clone of Takamaru
Lol, that will never happen. The two would be nothing alike based on their source material.

Well Lyn didnt even EXIST by melee. For Brawl, we got Ike.

And by Smash For, Lyn had fallen far into with irrelevancy Awakening and Fates had made the franchise sell better than ever, and Corrin was a weird situation as is. Plus, Lucina is almost as popular, had way more relevancy, and only got in as an alt that got upgraded to a clone.
Well, yeah. I was around for all of it. I wanted Lyn in since way back in the Brawl speculation days. She should have been made playable at Brawl.

But granted, after that, none of us were really aware of how popular she was. The FE franchise was falling into obscurity after PoR. It wasn't until Awakening that it got revitalized. I'm just saying that in hindsight, she's more deserving of a spot on the roster than anyone not called Marth or Ike. But hindsight is 20/20.

Lyn's only getting in the franchise as a playable character if they make a remake of her game by the time a new Smash releases
Well, I'm still sticking to the port of 4, and then reboot idea. Which is why I don't see any more FE additions making it to the roster.

But let's just speculate under Swamp's rotating roster for 5 idea for argument's sake. If that's the case, I can defo see the following:

Corrin is cut
Lucina is demoted to AT
Robin is cut (maybe?)

Marth, Ike, and Roy stay.

Lyn is added.
Someone else is added (maybe).

Even without a remake of her game, she's one of the most popular characters on the franchise, and given the poll results, it's given they're gonna capitalize on her image for promotional purposes. She beat out Lucina, who's up until now been the most promoted figure in the franchise due to being very popular waifubait.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I could only see Lyn getting in due to very specific circumstances.

1) Fire Emblem Switch's main character or characters are unfeasible in some way, such as being horse-locked, or bringing nothing new to the table.

2) Sakurai deems Shadows of Valentia too old by that point to put in Alm or Celica.

3) Sakurai takes the Choose Your Legends poll into consideration quite heavily, and also opts for an additional Fire Emblem character in general. She's also slightly easier to make since she has an Assist Trophy model to go off of.

However, that third one also comes with a drawback. Lucina and Roy also did extraordinarily well, so in the event of 1) and 2) taking place, Sakurai could just as easily declone Lucina/further declone Roy for less work and roughly equal payoff. Maybe Lucina could get some attacks using Geirskögul.

So I do think that while not impossible, Lyn would need the most perfect of perfect storms in order to get in.

D

Deleted member

So I do think that while not impossible, Lyn would need the most perfect of perfect storms in order to get in.
Hmmm, I don't quite agree.

However, the main reason I'm having a hard time following you, is cause I'm not quite sure under which parameters you're making this conclusion with.

I think from this point onward, speculation needs to consider in which direction the franchise could possibly be heading in, in order to make accurate predictions/conclusions. Of which, I think there are 3-4 possible directions:

1. The series continues to be additive as it's always been, trying to cram in as many characters as possible with very few cuts.

I would argue against this happening at all, period, as Roster bloat is now an issue that needs to be taken into consideration. Also, under this parameter, I'd say very few characters are getting in outside of a handful of very predictable choices. I'd say NO FE characters at all get in given their current prominence on the roster.

2. The next entry in the series is now cyclical, making heavy cuts to make room for brand new additions.

This is basically Swamps suggestion. Under which case, I can definitely see Lyn getting in, as a handful of FE characters would get the axe to make room for more characters.

3. The next game isn't a new entry, but rather a port of 4 with added content.

I wouldn't count this as a new entry, but rather Smash 4 Deluxe. Here I don't see any new FE character getting added for the same reasons as 1.

4. The next entry is a reboot of the franchise, with a brand new roster starting from scratch.

Here it's a tough call. They'd probably go for legacy characters above all else, but popularity is also a factor, also you'd have to account for which direction the game would head in. Given how popular FE is now day, if we assume the reboot would mostly be 1st party, I'd say Lyn stands a good chance, and you might even see a case in which you have Ike and Lyn only, and no Marth given the results of the poll. But it's really hard to say when it comes to reboot. It could also just cut back and only have Marth for legacy, and Ike for popularity, and that's it. Reboot is the hardest one to predict overall.

Anyway, point being, I have a hard time agreeing with some predictions people are making, and hell, even following them, because I flatly don't agree that the series will continue on being additive like it has been until now. Smash 5 will see some serious changes to the formula for sure. If the speculation is only gonna be about a Deluxe port of 4 for Switch, then the likes of many names I'm seeing are SUPER unlikely to make it in, as we're only gonna see about 4 more characters added I'd say, give or take.

If we're talking about the 5th entry in the franchise though, I think it's better people specify the direction of the franchise from then on, and really consider many factors such as the series continuing on as it has been even being realistically feasible at that point.

EDIT:
Also, as far as Shadows of Valentia goes, it did very poorly saleswise, I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing any content from that game in Smash outside of a possible trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmmm, I don't quite agree.

However, the main reason I'm having a hard time following you, is cause I'm not quite sure under which parameters you're making this conclusion with.

I think from this point onward, speculation needs to consider in which direction the franchise could possibly be heading in, in order to make accurate predictions/conclusions. Of which, I think there are 3-4 possible directions:

1. The series continues to be additive as it's always been, trying to cram in as many characters as possible with very few cuts.

I would argue against this happening at all, period, as Roster bloat is now an issue that needs to be taken into consideration. Also, under this parameter, I'd say very few characters are getting in outside of a handful of very predictable choices. I'd say NO FE characters at all get in given their current prominence on the roster.

2. The next entry in the series is now cyclical, making heavy cuts to make room for brand new additions.

This is basically Swamps suggestion. Under which case, I can definitely see Lyn getting in, as a handful of FE characters would get the axe to make room for more characters.

3. The next game isn't a new entry, but rather a port of 4 with added content.

I wouldn't count this as a new entry, but rather Smash 4 Deluxe. Here I don't see any new FE character getting added for the same reasons as 1.

4. The next entry is a reboot of the franchise, with a brand new roster starting from scratch.

Here it's a tough call. They'd probably go for legacy characters above all else, but popularity is also a factor, also you'd have to account for which direction the game would head in. Given how popular FE is now day, if we assume the reboot would mostly be 1st party, I'd say Lyn stands a good chance, and you might even see a case in which you have Ike and Lyn only, and no Marth given the results of the poll. But it's really hard to say when it comes to reboot. It could also just cut back and only have Marth for legacy, and Ike for popularity, and that's it. Reboot is the hardest one to predict overall.

Anyway, point being, I have a hard time agreeing with some predictions people are making, and hell, even following them, because I flatly don't agree that the series will continue on being additive like it has been until now. Smash 5 will see some serious changes to the formula for sure. If the speculation is only gonna be about a Deluxe port of 4 for Switch, then the likes of many names I'm seeing are SUPER unlikely to make it in, as we're only gonna see about 4 more characters added I'd say, give or take.

If we're talking about the 5th entry in the franchise though, I think it's better people specify the direction of the franchise from then on, and really consider many factors such as the series continuing on as it has been even being realistically feasible at that point.

EDIT:
Also, as far as Shadows of Valentia goes, it did very poorly saleswise, I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing any content from that game in Smash outside of a possible trophy.
I mean, it's definitely tough to say. I definitely think at some point roster bloat will become an issue (unless they eventually take the "game as a platform" approach and just port the game and add to it for several years as opposed to making it from scratch), but on the other hand, people have been saying the same thing since Brawl (heck, some thought the roster culling would happen for Smash 4). That's why I take a "cross that bridge when we get there" approach and assume each iteration will be additive until proven otherwise, as that's what precedence suggests.

Definitely agree no Fire Emblem characters would get into a port, though, considering what Sakurai said about Corrin.

Though, I don't think SoV did nearly as poorly as you suggest. It definitely sold less than usual in Japan itself, but part of that is due to it being a remake, and of a game Japan wasn't as fond of, at that. It's worldwide numbers, if I remember correctly, were fairly good, all things considered. It didn't come close to Fates, but considering that had three games sharing the same sales number and it came right off the tail of Smash 4 getting more people into the series, I don't think Fates will be topped for a while.

And then there's the fact that the game released in the 3DS's twilight era when Switch hype was rampant, and the fact that Intelligent Systems views it as a success (they've said they gauge remake sales differently from non-remakes, can't remember which interview though). I think by looking at it with that context, it wasn't a flop or anything.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lyn is popular and Nintendo is starting to capitalize off of that but with IS and Smash the new thing is what's important and the new thing is what it shall be. And therefore the only way I'd imagine Lyn get in is with a new game (not a remake) for her. When that's been the circumstances for 5/6 series additions, the exception being Marf, that's the mindset I'm going to operate under until there's evidence to the contrary.

And fwiw even if the Smash roster gets rebooted I still don't think Lyn would make it, because while the roster would change, IS wouldn't.

I like Lyn as a character, more than most of the existing FE roster, but I do think barring a new title, her time has passed. Even with the popularity on her side.

D

Deleted member

I mean, it's definitely tough to say. I definitely think at some point roster bloat will become an issue (unless they eventually take the "game as a platform" approach and just port the game and add to it for several years as opposed to making it from scratch), but on the other hand, people have been saying the same thing since Brawl (heck, some thought the roster culling would happen for Smash 4). That's why I take a "cross that bridge when we get there" approach and assume each iteration will be additive until proven otherwise, as that's what precedence suggests.

Definitely agree no Fire Emblem characters would get into a port, though, considering what Sakurai said about Corrin.

Though, I don't think SoV did nearly as poorly as you suggest. It definitely sold less than usual in Japan itself, but part of that is due to it being a remake, and of a game Japan wasn't as fond of, at that. It's worldwide numbers, if I remember correctly, were fairly good, all things considered. It didn't come close to Fates, but considering that had three games sharing the same sales number and it came right off the tail of Smash 4 getting more people into the series, I don't think Fates will be topped for a while.

And then there's the fact that the game released in the 3DS's twilight era when Switch hype was rampant, and the fact that Intelligent Systems views it as a success (they've said they gauge remake sales differently from non-remakes, can't remember which interview though). I think by looking at it with that context, it wasn't a flop or anything.
Roster Bloat is an issue already I'd say.

55 is about the max number of characters you can have in a fighting game before it starts to get unfeasable for a variety of reasons. One ofc being resources, but more importantly, game balance. Beyond 55, the number just starts to get overly excessive, and the meta suffers because of it. In short, when your audience have a hard time keeping track of, or remembering characters, you have too many. With 4, we've basically hit the limit.

Just look at other fighting games:

UMvC3 had 50 flat
MvC2 had 56
USF4 had 44
Capcom vs SNK 2 had 51

And most of those listed are 3v3 fighters which need larger rosters. One quick look at the Naruto or DBZ fighters is all you need to know to see why larger rosters start to **** with game balance hard core. You just have too many random variable to keep track of, and it loses all competitive sense, as it's way too difficult to properly balance.

And while some of you have argued "Smash is a party game at heart" I counter, with, "yes, and it's also a fighting game, one which is played competitively, and that side is certainly kept in Nintendo's mind while being developed." They'll never toss that half of the fanbase aside to please the side who just wants to see more and more character make their dream roster.

We've hit that upper limit now. We're crossing that bridge now. So, the from here on, speculation needs to consider the direction in which the series will head in. HOW MANY characters will get in? How many will be cut to make room for new ones? Or if the series as a whole will be flat out rebooted. The fact that we've finally hit that upper limit is the reason "reboot" is much more popular word this time around in speculation, when in previous gens, it was never even considered. I argue that the next game in the series flatly can't be additive. It's too much. This isn't Pokemon, this isn't MUGEN, this isn't a DBZ or Naruto Fight Sim game. It's a platform fighter with a competitive scene, and a very polished game with a lot of attention to detail. 55 is about as big as this roster is ever gonna get. Hell, it might scratch 60 with a deluxe port. But it won't ever go beyond that in any significant way.

Lyn is popular and Nintendo is starting to capitalize off of that but with IS and Smash the new thing is what's important and the new thing is what it shall be. And therefore the only way I'd imagine Lyn get in is with a new game (not a remake) for her. When that's been the circumstances for 5/6 series additions, the exception being Marf, that's the mindset I'm going to operate under until there's evidence to the contrary.

And fwiw even if the Smash roster gets rebooted I still don't think Lyn would make it, because while the roster would change, IS wouldn't.

I like Lyn as a character, more than most of the existing FE roster, but I do think barring a new title, her time has passed. Even with the popularity on her side.
I don't think she'd make it in a reboot either.

But if we're going with a cyclical roster like Swamp suggested, then yes, I'd say she's basically a shoe in given her popularity, and the fact that she's already an AT. She'd probably swap places with Lucina imo, but get made into an original character. While Lucina and Chrom become a combined AT.

Also, I'd say Nintendo and IS are pretty hand in hand overall. Both are trying to operate a business and trying to sell more games. Yes, while IS will always operate under a creative license to do whatever they're inspired to do, they're also gonna take note of the most popular characters in their franchise to influence future games (whether it'd be fitting them in in cameos, making sequels - in the case of Ike, having remakes, or flat out making variant clones of them - like they did with Tharja and that other mage girl in Fates). That aside, Smash is a popularity contest most of all, and while IS would have a say in having some characters from their more recent games, popular characters from popular franchise also get in (Roy, Mewtwo, and Lucas being very good examples of this).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Roster Bloat is an issue already I'd say.

55 is about the max number of characters you can have in a fighting game before it starts to get unfeasable for a variety of reasons. One ofc being resources, but more importantly, game balance. Beyond 55, the number just starts to get overly excessive, and the meta suffers because of it. In short, when your audience have a hard time keeping track of, or remembering characters, you have too many. With 4, we've basically hit the limit.

Just look at other fighting games:

UMvC3 had 50 flat
MvC2 had 56
USF4 had 44
Capcom vs SNK 2 had 51

And most of those listed are 3v3 fighters which need larger rosters. One quick look at the Naruto or DBZ fighters is all you need to know to see why larger rosters start to **** with game balance hard core. You just have too many random variable to keep track of, and it loses all competitive sense, as it's way too difficult to properly balance.

And while some of you have argued "Smash is a party game at heart" I counter, with, "yes, and it's also a fighting game, one which is played competitively, and that side is certainly kept in Nintendo's mind while being developed." They'll never toss that half of the fanbase aside to please the side who just wants to see more and more character make their dream roster.

We've hit that upper limit now. We're crossing that bridge now. So, the from here on, speculation needs to consider the direction in which the series will head in. HOW MANY characters will get in? How many will be cut to make room for new ones? Or if the series as a whole will be flat out rebooted. The fact that we've finally hit that upper limit is the reason "reboot" is much more popular word this time around in speculation, when in previous gens, it was never even considered. I argue that the next game in the series flatly can't be additive. It's too much. This isn't Pokemon, this isn't MUGEN, this isn't a DBZ or Naruto Fight Sim game. It's a platform fighter with a competitive scene, and a very polished game with a lot of attention to detail. 55 is about as big as this roster is ever gonna get. Hell, it might scratch 60 with a deluxe port. But it won't ever go beyond that in any significant way.
I'd question what makes 55 in particular the supposed cutoff when, once more, many people were saying the same about 40 being the cutoff post-Brawl. I'd also argue at this point that the meta isn't a factor in development at all, since apparently Sakurai balances the game with only 4-Player Items-On Free-for-Alls in mind. And I definitely wouldn't consider the competitive players as anything more than a vocal minority, never mind "half the fanbase."

Also, I'm not sure if we can definitively say that it was the roster size itself that plagued those Naruto and DBZ games, but a lack of resources that often comes from being a licensed game. There are too many variables for one to accurately pinpoint one of them as the sole reason for the quality drop, IMO. And considering Smash is a big budget Nintendo game, I think it can manage higher numbers much more easily than the games you mentioned.

All in all I'm just not sure we should be preparing for a roster cull when such things were already wrongly predicted in the past, especially when Smash is a game that thrives upon its roster.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Just play her character from the Project M 4.0 leak, it's my moveset they used for her, and even though she's incomplete, they got the "feeling" right. It's easy to see how she's very distinct from any character currently on the roster.
Well looking it up on youtube she plays exactly how I thought she would: a really quick myrmidon with bow special. The moveset's well made I'll say that for sure, but minus the specialsit's also exactly how I see Takamaru using his sword, hence the clone comment.
Corrin is cut
Lucina is demoted to AT
Robin is cut (maybe?)

Marth, Ike, and Roy stay.

Lyn is added.
Someone else is added (maybe).

Even without a remake of her game, she's one of the most popular characters on the franchise, and given the poll results, it's given they're gonna capitalize on her image for promotional purposes. She beat out Lucina, who's up until now been the most promoted figure in the franchise due to being very popular waifubait.
What have you got against Lucina? She's a good character, let her be. This doesn't have to be a Lucina vs Lyn thing, they can both coexist at the same time. Also waifubait? Out of these 2 character who has the more sexualised design?
Why definitely keep Roy yet potentially cut Robin? pure popularity isn't everything, you have to consider relevancy and potential, especially for a series in Smash renowned for adding the most relevant character. Furthermore, combine Robin's and Corrin's scores between the 2 genders shows they're both almost around Roy's levels of votes: around 24,500 and 27,000 respectively, so they're hardly unpopular enough to warrant cutting.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I still think Lucina should be an alt costume of Marth's.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

In fact, while we're at it, make DPit a Pit alt costume too.

Unless you're that strung up on the mechanical differences of their move sets, you still have the character there to play as.

D

Deleted member

I still think Lucina should be an alt costume of Marth's.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

In fact, while we're at it, make DPit a Pit alt costume too.

Unless you're that strung up on the mechanical differences of their move sets, you still have the character there to play as.
I think it would be much, much worse than cutting the character altogether.
Making the characters into alts would be a disservice to their fans, and Sakurai knows that, which is why he didn't make Dr. Mario an alt.
I seriously don't see why anyone thinks it's a possibillity.
If Lucina doesn't get her own slot, you might as well remove her altogether.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Reverting a character to being an alt defeats the point of them being separated from the original in the first place on top of being a waste of potentially making alterations in the next game.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Making the characters into alts would be a disservice to their fans, and Sakurai knows that, which is why he didn't make Dr. Mario an alt.
Wouldn't mind that either.

That or make some alterations to her moveset.

I don't really care. Just throwing out ideas.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucina is hugely popular and easy to create. She's about the second face of the franchise next to Marth. I am confident she stays.

Personally, I could see Robin go. Noticed a comment of Sakurai how Robin probably wouldn't make the cut if Awakening didn't release during Smash 4's development. I also think he's one of the less popular Fire Emblem characters.

Personally, before release I wanted Marth, Ike, Roy and Lyn as the playable cast. But guess Awakening was just too impactful. I don't know about Lyn's chances, but she might make it if there's enough ballot votes for her. Which I suspect there might be.

Anyway, Lyn would be another real hype first party newcomer. Which is great cause the general consensus here now is that third parties alone generate the most hype. King K.Rool, Lyn, Takamaru, Midna, Isaac.. These characters would all create a lot of hype from older Nintendo fans and I STILL think they should be more looked after.

But yeah, Inkling also might be fun? I dunno

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Lyn's the new hot topic? My take on it is like most of the people's here: She probably doesn't have much of a chance unless a FE7 remake happens. The FE Switch lord will be getting in, and 6/7 FE characters are enough (Sakurai said something like that with Corrin, and the Switch lord is inevitable)

And on the topic of alts, I don't care if they get further declined or put back as alts. I'd prefer declining, but I wouldn't lose sleep over the trio being reverted. I also hope we get more, like :174: for Jigglypuff, Daisy for Peach, and Claus for Lucas.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Really? I don't believe that if Lucina got cut you (and anyone who feels this way) wouldn't be singing a different tune. I'd posit that if fans of a character would rather see that character cut than placed behind another, they've far too much pride. Because functionally, there's little difference. Not every fanbase wins in Smash, still being able to play as those characters is significantly better than many fanbases receive.

I could empathize if we were talking about semi-clones, or ex-transformation characters jammed back together, but these are last-minute, near direct clones. These are not characters that are safe going forward either. These have never been priority characters, and there are always casualties. An alt position means they'd at least remain playable. I think anyone who would feel truly slighted by having to make an extra click to access the character needs some perspective, or didn't actually care that much about the character in the first place. Perhaps you should ask the Alph fans (if there are any) if they'd rather just... not have Alph on the roster.

Here's what happens if the three clones get relegated back to alts, and you can quote me on this. There is an initial bellyaching, and then a relatively quick acceptance because people realize being an alt is better than being gone.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The biggest problem I would have with anyone becoming an alt would be the loss of some color palettes and no chance of being semi-cloned, as well as possibly becoming full clones instead of having a little bit of a difference.

I'd 100% take having Dr.Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina as alternate costumes than being completely cut from the game though. I know I'd be salty if Lucina was completely cut from the game. :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

Really? I don't believe that if Lucina got cut you (and anyone who feels this way) wouldn't be singing a different tune. I'd posit that if fans of a character would rather see that character cut than placed behind another, they've far too much pride. Because functionally, there's little difference. Not every fanbase wins in Smash, still being able to play as those characters is significantly better than many fanbases receive.

I could empathize if we were talking about semi-clones, or ex-transformation characters jammed back together, but these are last-minute, near direct clones. These are not characters that are safe going forward either. These have never been priority characters, and there are always casualties. An alt position means they'd at least remain playable. I think anyone who would feel truly slighted by having to make an extra click to access the character needs some perspective, or didn't actually care that much about the character in the first place. Perhaps you should ask the Alph fans (if there are any) if they'd rather just... not have Alph on the roster.

Here's what happens if the three clones get relegated back to alts, and you can quote me on this. There is an initial bellyaching, and then a relatively quick acceptance because people realize being an alt is better than being gone.
Say what you will about Lucina and Dark Pit due to their circumstances, but don't even PRETEND to claim Dr. Mario is the same deal.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Say what you will about Lucina and Dark Pit due to their circumstances, but don't even PRETEND to claim Dr. Mario is the same deal.
Dr. Mario got in due to the same circumstance, though. The only difference is that he happened to be playable in Melee. Going to the next game, it'd be the same thing, since all of them are vets.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Dr. Mario and Lucina do have more notable differences than Dark Pit though. Dark Pit almost completely copies Pit at everything; Dr. Mario is a slower and slightly stronger Mario; Lucina's sword is more balanced than Marth's sword, having no sourspots, but is not as strong as Marth's tipped hits.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Dr. Mario also has the whirlwind attack versus FLUDD. That's the big reason why I didn't include him as an alternate character because he's an already established semi-clone rather then borderline pure. I myself don't find borderline clone slots to alts as a disservice. Its really not hurting anything. Especially considering Dark Pit. You still play the character, and the CS screen wouldn't be as crowded.

I dunno. I just don't see things as y'all do.

I also don't give a rat's ass about Lucina or Dark Pit which pretty much explains it. :V

The only slot to alt that I would question is characters who established themselves as their own character or a semi clone of another.

But really, it all doesn't matter too much to me. In my opinion though, the Alternate Character Costume thing should be expanded upon. There's a lot of good in it, and it could potential increase playable characters by double without actually adding any.

Like you don't want to play as Dry Bowser. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

Dr. Mario got in due to the same circumstance, though. The only difference is that he happened to be playable in Melee. Going to the next game, it'd be the same thing, since all of them are vets.
Dr. Mario has the most functionality differences from his counterpart of the three clones.

Lucina and Dark Pit being turned into just alts wouldn't be too drastic of a loss. Dr. Mario wouldn't be Dr. Mario at all as an alt.

clones.png

nyansylveon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-5060-5926
Smash 5 or Melee Remastered

I've been seeing a lot of Smash 5 speculations recently and I started wondering about Melee Remastered once my friend told me about it and I want to see what you guys think, write your opinions on why we need Smash 5 or more melee hell and remember to vote at the strawpoll link. I think I already know the answer though.

http://strawpoll.com/fkfe9pp6

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

I've been seeing a lot of Smash 5 speculations recently and I started wondering about Melee Remastered once my friend told me about it and I want to see what you guys think, write your opinions on why we need Smash 5 or more melee hell and remember to vote at the strawpoll link. I think I already know the answer though.

We need no more Smash games. Its time to let the series die in favor of Pokken. :troll:

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I don't think I could be happy with any new Fire Emblem characters, even ones from the pre-Fates/etc; times unless they were replacing Corrin/Lucina/Roy.

I don't think they should turn the clones into skins, although I might be a bit biased because I'm still upset that Alph (albeit would have preferred Louie) is a skin instead of a character unlike the others. Even if Dark Pit is functionally almost identical to Pit so much so that functionally they're basically the same character (at least in my eyes), nobody who's a character deserves to become a skin. That'd be almost insulting to people who liked (or especially preferred) preferred those characters.

D

Deleted member

People care about the minor differences these characters have.
If they became alts, they wouldn't be the same character anymore.
People wil get upset. Make them seperate characters or don't make them at all. Period.
Edit: And for the record, I couldn't care less if Lucina was cut or not. But if they made her an alt, it would feel off and it would bother me.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
A bot has infiltrated the general speculation section of Snashboards.

Just so you guys know.

EDIT: Aww... They got him. ;[

He had a good run though. ;]

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
People care about the minor differences these characters have.
If they became alts, they wouldn't be the same character anymore.
People wil get upset. Make them seperate characters or don't make them at all. Period.
Of course people care about the small differences between the characters, but if it came down to it I'd rather have Lucina as a Marth alt than gone altogether.
More people will be much more upset if they're cut completely. The fact that people here would rather have them gone than an alt is absurd. Do you lot even like these characters?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can understand alts if there's reasonable logic to it. Alph doesn't have legitimate gameplay differences to Olimar anyway. They've always been the exact same in the Pikmin games. That's kind of the point. The differences are among the Pikmin themselves. Heck, the personalities barely matter and at best would only change some taunts.

The Koopalings was a quick excuse and worked fine. I'd be okay if it was 8 unique Jr. costumes too. This is okay.

Dark Pit actually has a personality and differences in what weapons he would use. Splitting him worked out very well. He should get some more changes, of course. But he physically is just as capable as Pit, so when they use the same exact attacks/weapons, them doing the same damage and knockback is actually justified.

Lucina is unique to a degree, but the only one that barely changed. Nobody would've much noticed if she was an alt. Dark Pit kind of fits in here too, but to a lesser degree. However, Dr. Mario already had an established moveset. He would look strange with the FLUDD. He can't work as an alt at any point anymore. It's cut or clone in his case. The other two should be the same as well.

Keep in mind once characters are playable separately, the fans will cling onto them. Reducing them to alts with their entire moveset changes gone only hurts their fanbases. While not playing them at all means they don't have to suffer using a lame version of the character they liked. Of course, moveset changes hurt too, but they still at least get to choose their exact character at the screen, in their own slot. It feels more individualized, and basically better/like the character is being treated as more important. It helps the fanbases of them a lot.

Also, the moveset is the character too. You can't have one without the other. This is why people barely like alts at all. It's just a weak version of the character you wanted. Costumes also got hated on for the same reason. It is nowhere near the same thing as a separate playable character that has their own unique points to them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Noticed a comment of Sakurai how Robin probably wouldn't make the cut if Awakening didn't release during Smash 4's development. I also think he's one of the less popular Fire Emblem characters.
You're taking a lot out of context.

Robin almost not being in Smash 4 wasn't due to Robin being uninteresting or unpopular.

It was because if Awakening had released later, Sakurai wouldn't have been able to play the game and learn about its characters.

As for how popular Robin is. Both Robins are actually in their respective top 20s.

Male Robin is sitting comfortably in the top ten while Female Robin just barely lost to Nowi and is 11.

If we want to cheat a little and combine their numbers (since they're the same character really), Robin actually scores higher than Chrom and would sit comfortably in the top ten characters overall.

Robin is a very popular character.

And back when RTC was a thing, Robin had one of the highest Newcomers satisfaction scores.

They're popular both in a Smash Bros sense and a Fire Emblem sense.

You kind of made up some bull****, my friend.

:4robinm: :4robinf:isn't going anywhere.

He's the most prominent mage and avatar in the series, from one of the most popular games and has a moveset that most people tend to love.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course people care about the small differences between the characters, but if it came down to it I'd rather have Lucina as a Marth alt than gone altogether.
More people will be much more upset if they're cut completely. The fact that people here would rather have them gone than an alt is absurd. Do you lot even like these characters?
Most people who play as these characters do so because of more than just visual reasons. They have gameplay differences, such as Lucina not having Marth's powerful tipper, which makes her easier to adjust to.
As for my opinion on them...
:4drmario: - in all honesty I think the very idea was stupid. He's just Mario in a doctor's coat.
:4lucina: - She and one of :4feroy: or :4corrin: should be removed IMO, mostly because of there are too many FE characters (not "reps". I hate this word. Reps is for general representation of the series, i.e. music tracks, stages, etc., characters are part of that but they're not all there is to it). Otherwise, I think she would be great with some decloning (as well as a Chrom alt)
:4darkpit: - lol
I wouldn't mind Doc and Lucy returning, but if they're gone I wouldn't care. But I would not want to them become alts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want all 3 clones to remain. Even if I was strongly against both Dr.Mario and Dark Pit when I first knew they where in the game.

And I don't think there are 'too much' Fire Emblem characters. Lots of Fire Emblem characters are just good fitting for Smash Bros., and I wouldn't mind a character like Lyn, Alm or Celica in the slightest.

Oh yeah and btw maybe Robin will stay after all.

D

Deleted member

I'd question what makes 55 in particular the supposed cutoff when, once more, many people were saying the same about 40 being the cutoff post-Brawl. I'd also argue at this point that the meta isn't a factor in development at all, since apparently Sakurai balances the game with only 4-Player Items-On Free-for-Alls in mind. And I definitely wouldn't consider the competitive players as anything more than a vocal minority, never mind "half the fanbase."

Also, I'm not sure if we can definitively say that it was the roster size itself that plagued those Naruto and DBZ games, but a lack of resources that often comes from being a licensed game. There are too many variables for one to accurately pinpoint one of them as the sole reason for the quality drop, IMO. And considering Smash is a big budget Nintendo game, I think it can manage higher numbers much more easily than the games you mentioned.

All in all I'm just not sure we should be preparing for a roster cull when such things were already wrongly predicted in the past, especially when Smash is a game that thrives upon its roster.
I'm not saying 55 is THE cutoff point, because there is no surefire cutoff point. What I'm saying is that roster size has an inverse effect on the balance of the game. The larger a roster gets the more simplified and less diverse the distinctions between characters become, the more painful it is to have to learn match ups, the less depth and nuance there is to each character, and in the case of Smash, the more tedious and less fun certain elements of the single player content become. And then ofc there's the ever present resources element.

I'll try to explain this as best I can, since for most people not familiar with fighting games, having different special moves is enough distinction for them, but it goes much deeper than that.

Smash 4 ALREADY has a problem with character variety, one easy to point to example is how Counter has become a super common goto filler move for charactes' Down B. There's just not much thought and creativity put into things that could have been a lot more creative.

But going even deeper, the overall movesets of many characters are very simple and straightforward. Generally, when you design a fighting game character's move, you want to see it as a tool, and see what sort of functionality the move serves (is it Anti Air? Is it a poke? Is it useful for Punish or Okizeme?), how it links into other moves, and how it's balanced amid the meta, by playtesting it again and again under various circumstances, and fine tuning it each time. This is a rigorous and painstaking process, and it becomes even more tedious the more characters you have in a roster as well. Thus, what this leads to with a roster 55 characters big, is that you only playtest and develop a handful of a character's moves, and the rest of it you just kinda toss in as simplified filler. The end result of this, is that combo creativity and variety among characters becomes very narrow, and you have many characters that, while they might have visually and statistically different moves, they all still kinda feel like they play very samey because their combos and approach tools are all far too similar, which in turn starts to make the game more luck-based than skill-based, and quickly make it boring once you see beneath the superficiality of the character movesets.

This problem is CURRENTLY present in Smash 4.

Most characters in the game have very few approach options, and with the emphasized focus on defensive play, the best way to start combos is thus typically through a grab. As such, a typical Smash 4 combos will look more or less like this:

Grab/Shieldgrab>Pummel>Pummel>D-Throw>Utilt>Utilt>Utilt>Utilt>USmash>Uair

Regardless of who you're playing as, whether it be Mario, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, DK, etc... Flowcharts are abound in Smash 4, and you can generally pin down the general archetypes most character flowcharts fall into. This is again, because most character movesets haven't been thoroughly developed, and thus, they can only consistently rely on certain specific moves in certain situations.

Moreover, there are various character elements movesets that have been very poorly implemented, with little overall thought given into how this affects things competitively. Like how ridiculous Mac's super armor is, or how counters have been buffed to earn easier kills, or Corrin's ENTIRE toolset, or Bayonetta's aerial dominance, or how Cloud's Uair beats pretty much everything due to its frame data. Stuff like this, is what starts to ruin the "fun factor" of a fighting game competitively. You just see characters throw out very powerful moves again and again because there's little to punish them for it. Overall, this is a good video on this subject matter:

Compare this to other character movesets in other fighting games, which feature various moves that are a lot more utilitarian in multiple situations:

The point I'm making is, developing a fighting game character takes a lot of time, a lot of careful thought, and rigorous playtesting again and again. This is the bulk of fighting game development. And the larger a roster gets, the more simplified and less nuanced characters become as a result of there being more and more work to do.

And moreover, no, this is not something that you can carry over from previous entries. If the game engine, or if mechanics that drastically alter the gameplay are added, EVERYONE needs to be totally rebalanced and retooled.

Anyway, this is a pattern that can be seen across all fighting games, and audiences generally prefer a DEEP ocean over a WIDE one. It's much better to have a fighting game with a small cast of roughly 20 characters that are incredibly deep and varied and all play VERY distinctly from each other, than a large cast of nearly 100 characters that all feel very samey as a result. And this is a statement that Sakurai himself agrees with. Now Smash unfortunately cannot have a roster as small as 20 characters (which is why Melee was beefed up with clones), but it can and does try to straddle a careful line between game balance and variety, and content and casual appeal. The competitive fighting game with the largest roster that comes to mind, is KoF2002, which hit 66 characters iirc, and that was a 3v3 fighter. The fact that roster bloat has already started to affect the overall experience in Smash 4, means the game can't really keep pushing onward and expanding the roster even further in consequent entries, lest it'll start to heavily affect game balance and character variety in a way that's far more noticeable to most people, than what it currently is.

And finally, yes, I KNOW Smash is not Guilty Gear, and that it will never have the same degree of nuance and depth found in traditional fighters, but we can definitely see the franchise get more and more simplified as the series went on. Part of the reason is ofc intentional design, but part of it is also roster bloat affecting game balance and character variety. So while Smash tries to straddle the line between competitive appeal, and casual appeal, further pushing the roster size would heavily hurt the competitive side of things by reducing the skill gap due to a lack of nuance and variety in playstyles and move sets.

Watch this video to understand why reducing the skill gap is overall bad:

Even for Smash, which is generally more casual than traditional fighters, we've pretty much pushed it as far as we can given how Smash 4 overall plays.

Anyway, that's all I gotta say on that I think. If you want me to further explain anything or clarify anything so that it makes more sense, ask away, as I could go more in depth into how fighting games tick and how they are made. I'm not sure about how well I might have explained things so that they make sense to people.

You're taking a lot out of context.

Robin almost not being in Smash 4 wasn't due to Robin being uninteresting or unpopular.

It was because if Awakening had released later, Sakurai wouldn't have been able to play the game and learn about its characters.

As for how popular Robin is. Both Robins are actually in their respective top 20s.

Male Robin is sitting comfortably in the top ten while Female Robin just barely lost to Nowi and is 11.

If we want to cheat a little and combine their numbers (since they're the same character really), Robin actually scores higher than Chrom and would sit comfortably in the top ten characters overall.

Robin is a very popular character.

And back when RTC was a thing, Robin had one of the highest Newcomers satisfaction scores.

They're popular both in a Smash Bros sense and a Fire Emblem sense.

You kind of made up some bull****, my friend.

:4robinm: :4robinf:isn't going anywhere.

He's the most prominent mage and avatar in the series, from one of the most popular games and has a moveset that most people tend to love.
You seem awfully confident that Robin would inevitably return.

Yeah, Robin is popular, but relative to other characters, he's also not.

Ike
Lyn
Lucina
Tharja
Roy
Hector
Camilla
---Robin
Chrom
Marth
Corrin

One of the biggest complaints after Smash 4 launched was "there are far too many FE characters" something even Sakurai acknowledged. Thus, it's fair to say that there will be heavy cuts to the FE part of the roster in the 5th installment.

Marth is a staple, and the face of the franchise, so he stays. And Ike is the most popular, so he stays too.

Corrin, Robin, Roy and Lucina are thus the remaining 4.

It would be reasonably to assume you'd have 3 cuts, with two new additions to make room. Reason being, new characters offer more variety and more incentive to play/buy a new game than returning characters.

Of these 4, Robin and Corrin are the least popular. Lucina also has the downside of being 1 of TWO Marth clones, and the least distinctive of the two at that.

Thus, I can see Robin, Corrin, and Lucina all getting the axe to make room for ONE more popular entry, and a protag of a new game.

This is ofc assuming a cyclical roster like you suggested. And also assuming that the new protag isn't very generic or just flat out not viable at all. If that's the case though, it'd come down to either Lucina OR Robin getting the cut. So, take that as you will. I wouldn't be so certain that Robin is a GUARANTEED shoe in for a 5th entry. Looking at the overall ranking, and acknowledging the fact that the FE part of the roster will very likely see heavy cuts, I'm not as confident as you that Robin would return, but rather he's more of a "maybe" as he kinda falls in the middle.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There indeed isn't much distinction between characters indeed. And it is now extremely apperant how the generations of Smash have affected each character. I mean, compare Samus to Mega Man, most obvious comparison I can think of. Mega Man has a much more detailed moveset that's true to his character, Samus has her Specials, and her grab.

Now check the aerials, how many have a Down Air that's a drilling kick? A sex kick neutral air? Sword Down Smash where the character just hits in front and behind them, break dance Down Smash doing exactly the same? It's plain depressive, and it could use a lot more debt since Smash's main unique mechanic is smooth aerial combat compared to traditional fighters.

I liked the new mechanic with a finisher blow on AAA combos. That was well thought of. It added a little more focus on ground play, which was heavily needed. Brawl's main ground game for example is getting a grab on, or projectile shennanigans, or juist plain camping. Melee was about doing as many aerial moves as close to the ground as possible :rolleyes: These problems could've easily been fixed if there's a more offensive-rewarding ground combat system.

And as said before, I expect Lucina to stay. She's the easy to include Awakening character, massively popular, and reasonable to add due to her main mechanic being 'easy Marth'. It's actually genius in many ways. And I actually would like her moveset to be changed up, so that they could also include Chrom and share a roster spot.

I still think that Fire Emblem doesn't necessary need cuts, but hey, I'd rather toss Corrin or Robin out instead of losing Mewtwo again.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration

I hate Melee. It's a learned game at this point and if they remastered it in HD it wouldn't be changed at all.

I am not at all interested in going back to a game where only four characters dominate and none of them are Donkey Kong. Let it die.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You seem awfully confident that Robin would inevitably return.

Yeah, Robin is popular, but relative to other characters, he's also not.

Ike
Lyn
Lucina
Tharja
Roy
Hector
Camilla
---Robin
Chrom
Marth
Corrin

One of the biggest complaints after Smash 4 launched was "there are far too many FE characters" something even Sakurai acknowledged. Thus, it's fair to say that there will be heavy cuts to the FE part of the roster in the 5th installment.

Marth is a staple, and the face of the franchise, so he stays. And Ike is the most popular, so he stays too.

Corrin, Robin, Roy and Lucina are thus the remaining 4.

It would be reasonably to assume you'd have 3 cuts, with two new additions to make room. Reason being, new characters offer more variety and more incentive to play/buy a new game than returning characters.

Of these 4, Robin and Corrin are the least popular. Lucina also has the downside of being 1 of TWO Marth clones, and the least distinctive of the two at that.

Thus, I can see Robin, Corrin, and Lucina all getting the axe to make room for ONE more popular entry, and a protag of a new game.

This is ofc assuming a cyclical roster like you suggested. And also assuming that the new protag isn't very generic or just flat out not viable at all. If that's the case though, it'd come down to either Lucina OR Robin getting the cut. So, take that as you will. I wouldn't be so certain that Robin is a GUARANTEED shoe in for a 5th entry. Looking at the overall ranking, and acknowledging the fact that the FE part of the roster will very likely see heavy cuts, I'm not as confident as you that Robin would return, but rather he's more of a "maybe" as he kinda falls in the middle.
I just think its likely that Marth, Ike and Robin are going to be the "safe" picks for next time.

Roy was already regulated to DLC, Lucina was last minute and Corrin was a newcomer added as DLC.

I feel like Robin will be the highest priority of anyone not named Marth or Ike.

Staarih

Smash Master
I personally agree with the notion of Robin being at least somewhat high priority. Awakening was like a new beginning for Fire Emblem so something from the game would seem reasonable to become a "staple face" in Smash. Outside of Smash it would probably be (and is) Chrom, but Smash-wise we have Robin.

D

Deleted member

I think a Sm4sh port is more likely than both of them.
If it's about want then I'd rather have Smash 5, no questions asked. Melee doesn't appeal to me since I'm not a competitive player.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hate Melee. It's a learned game at this point and if they remastered it in HD it wouldn't be changed at all.

I am not at all interested in going back to a game where only four characters dominate and none of them are Donkey Kong. Let it die.
I agree only because you said Donkey Kong
I personally agree with the notion of Robin being at least somewhat high priority. Awakening was like a new beginning for Fire Emblem so something from the game would seem reasonable to become a "staple face" in Smash. Outside of Smash it would probably be (and is) Chrom, but Smash-wise we have Robin.
There's also Lucina who I feel gets more promotional appearances than both Chrom and Robin.

What am getting at is that Lucina is a 100 times easier to include, and she's more popular than Robin. Plus she's from Awakening. I like playing as Robin more as well, but outside of a bad mechanic of limited uses of weaponary and tomes -which is an outdated mechanic in FE now I might add- there's not much what Robin adds.

Outside of magic, which can be covered by adding Celica, then add Alm as a sort of Ike semi-clone? There's much that makes them relatable, make Alm a little faster perhaps and since he also as (a) Falchion, give him tipper mechanics like Marth.

That's what I would personally do tho.

Marth :4marth:
Ike :4myfriends:
Roy :4feroy:
Lucina / Chrom :4lucina:
Alm
Celica

No Robin or Corrin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There indeed isn't much distinction between characters indeed. And it is now extremely apperant how the generations of Smash have affected each character. I mean, compare Samus to Mega Man, most obvious comparison I can think of. Mega Man has a much more detailed moveset that's true to his character, Samus has her Specials, and her grab.

Now check the aerials, how many have a Down Air that's a drilling kick? A sex kick neutral air? Sword Down Smash where the character just hits in front and behind them, break dance Down Smash doing exactly the same? It's plain depressive, and it could use a lot more debt since Smash's main unique mechanic is smooth aerial combat compared to traditional fighters.

I liked the new mechanic with a finisher blow on AAA combos. That was well thought of. It added a little more focus on ground play, which was heavily needed. Brawl's main ground game for example is getting a grab on, or projectile shennanigans, or juist plain camping. Melee was about doing as many aerial moves as close to the ground as possible :rolleyes: These problems could've easily been fixed if there's a more offensive-rewarding ground combat system.

And as said before, I expect Lucina to stay. She's the easy to include Awakening character, massively popular, and reasonable to add due to her main mechanic being 'easy Marth'. It's actually genius in many ways. And I actually would like her moveset to be changed up, so that they could also include Chrom and share a roster spot.

I still think that Fire Emblem doesn't necessary need cuts, but hey, I'd rather toss Corrin or Robin out instead of losing Mewtwo again.
Yep, and it's that lack of combo variety that really killed it for me in Smash 4, and why I just stopped even bothering to play the game competitively, especially online. It just became incredibly boring, I could predict exactly what people were gonna go for every time just based off their character pick.

Low in damage? They're gonna go far a grab at every chance they get, so I have to be very cautious, and use moves that are safe on block lest I wanna get shield grabbed and give them free 70% damage.

Not only that, but these high damage combos are incredibly easy to pull off. I'm sorry, but there is ZERO skill in mashing Utilt again and again. A monkey could do that. And it's the overall prominence of flowchart combos that just killed it for me. You just see it everywhere, even at high level play, all DK's go for the Uair Headbutt combos, all ZSS mains go for Up B finisher combos, all Sheik mains spam Fair into Bouncing Fish like a ************, cause it's a super safe move, and will try to go for the early offstage kills.

There's just no combo variety, no real way to express yourself through your character, or to learn to adapt to situations. And this is because most characters only have a handful of genuinely viable moves. This, for me, made the game incredibly boring to play, combined with slower flow, the ease of recovery, and the emphasis on defense, the game just feels more luck based than skill based, which makes it overall not fun to play competitively.

And yeah, you're also right that even visually, a lot of the older characters also feel less fleshed out than the new ones. This is why updates like Bowser felt very refreshing. But even among the newer ones. Look at Cloud's, Shulk's and Ike's down air. Look at most character's Fair. It's almost like there's an established pattern in place for movesets now, and this kills a lot of the creativity. Which, while there SHOULD be a utilitarian universal pattern for movesets in characters, it shouldn't be visual similar across the board.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this, lol.

This is one of the main reasons I feel the franchise needs a reboot. The core of the game, has become a ****ing mess, and many older characters feel outdated compared to newer ones. The franchise needs to go back to square 1 and really look at what works and what doesn't, and try new things, all the while refreshing a lot of the old conventions across the board.

It'll be much easier to more accurately hit that balance between casual and competitive appeal that way. But that's just me.

On a personal level, just adding MORE CHARACTERS to what's already a goddamn mess of a game won't be enough to get me to buy the next entry. Deal is, I'm not the only one who feels this way, and as the meta for 4 continues to "develop" I'm sure you'll see more and more people drop out as they realize just how shallow it really is overall. Which is a pity, cause the roster itself imo is overall great, but the core of the game just isn't fun.

And look, I'm not even the most competitive player, I'm not in any competitive scene, nor do I have the time to really learn to gitgud at any game these days. But I still thoroughly enjoy the level of depth and nuance found in more competitive fighters over more shallow ones. It's why I'm hyped for DBFZ yet will never ever play Xenoverse for example.

I just think its likely that Marth, Ike and Robin are going to be the "safe" picks for next time.

Roy was already regulated to DLC, Lucina was last minute and Corrin was a newcomer added as DLC.

I feel like Robin will be the highest priority of anyone not named Marth or Ike.
Nah, I don't think Robin is a safe pick at all. How they were implemented as DLC has no bearing overall on how they'll be treated next time.

What you're doing is False Cause, and that's a logical fallacy. Just cause there might be a perceived relationship between how they were added into the game, and their overall importance doesn't mean that relationship is real in the first place, nor that one is the cause of the other.

We have no evidence if the fact, and a lot of various circumstances play into their implementation, such as Awakening being the most recent game during the time of development, and that Robin offered a more unique moveset than the likes of Chrom, who would have just been way too similar to Ike or Marth.

What we do know for sure is that there are too many FE characters, and thud we'll likely see heavy cuts, that new characters are favored over veterans, that uniqueness and popularity are very important, and that Robin overall is not that important or popular relative to other characters.

I wouldn't absolutely say he won't come back (unless it's a reboot, in which case he most certainly won't), but I'm not confident he's guaranteed to stay either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just don't think they'd completely cut out Awakening's cast when it revitalized the series, and Robin acting as the first Fire Emblem character to use magic, which in itself is a pretty big deal that even Sakurai talked a lot about. I definitely don't think we'd go back to a roster of only swordlocked fighters like in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom